Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Viewers Like You

Dissy
  • Start Topic

Well right after my last post in the episode thread...I started hemorrhaging. Went straight to GW hospital and they couldn’t determine where the source was and I had to have another FUCKING OPERATION.???

I’ve never been so scared in my life-lost about a liter when in ER; no way to determine how much I lost before I got there. But they stitched me up (just one) and bleeding stopped. Right now, no need for transfusion, even though I’m at 8.6. Dr will check levels in the morning to see if it I’m back at 12-13. May need one if I’m not.

So I’m out for the next week or so, and yes, I’m typing this from my hospital bed. Good great drugs, and Aye, I’m doped up.??

Thanks.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 11

Strong, beautiful  thoughts coming your way.  

I'm impressed.....You type very well under medication and blood loss.  :)    Gets lots of healing sleep .

Will you count me as one of your BFF's if you ever go on tv?   

• Love 6

I'm so sorry @GHScorpiosRule you had to go through such a horrific experience...My heart goes out to you! Post surgery drugs are wonderful and hopefully you have a warm compassionate medical team. Keep us posted...you have a group of PTV fans that love you from afar. Sending healing thoughts! 

I also went through a second round of surgery yesterday and now darning a completely shaved head. Not having hair felt a bit freeing until I saw Don Rickles in the mirror...oh the horror!  

On a side note...your ability to write so impressively under the influence of drugs and blood loss is amazing. I couldn't find the 'X' to sign my name on the release document!  If you don't write professionally...you've missed your calling! 

Edited by Catnip
  • Love 7

“I also went through a second round of surgery yesterday and now darning a completely shaved head. Not having hair felt a bit freeing until I saw Don Rickles in the mirror...oh the horror!”

@CATNIP, hope your surgery went well and you are on the road to recovery. Pretty headwraps may be your friend for awhile. (There was one on the Project Runway finale that I absolutely loved.) 

And, you wrote very well post-surgery! Hugs and well wishes.

• Love 6

Thanks for all your well wishes.

The levels are lower than I’d like, but I now have a good excuse to eat as much red meat to get them up.

At home resting, and woozy with dem drugs, but wanted to thank everyone. I can only manage to read and ❤️ comments. Not up to my snarkyass self just yet.

• Love 8

Well, yay. I'm getting my levels retested, and I'm 99.99% sure my doctor will order a transfusion which I can get at the infusion center where I used to get my chemo. Because I'm telling you, back in 2009, when I had to check myself into the hospital for a transfusion and also get two units of iron? My level was 5.4; I was at 6.6 when I was discharged last week. That's too close for my comfort, and I honestly, I don't need my heart beating twice or thrice its normal rate for just walking across the bloody living room (approximately 10 steps) room.

Getting my levels tested day after tomorrow; seeing my doctor for post op on Friday.

Spotting has all but stopped. That is, there was none for most of yesterday and throughout the night, but just some liquidy pinkish color on the toilet paper, but nothing on the pad. Sorry for the TMI.

*I shoulda insisted on being transfused before I was discharged, dammit. The cost of using Lyft from the office to the metro is costing me. Even if it is cheaper and better than that fucker Uber.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Well, yay. I'm getting my levels retested, and I'm 99.99% sure my doctor will order a transfusion which I can get at the infusion center where I used to get my chemo. Because I'm telling you, back in 2009, when I had to check myself into the hospital for a transfusion and also get two units of iron? My level was 5.4; I was at 6.6 when I was discharged last week. That's too close for my comfort, and I honestly, I don't need my heart beating twice or thrice its normal rate for just walking across the bloody living room (approximately 10 steps) room.

I didn't think discharging someone with a hemoglobin that low was allowed. My Mom had Medicaid/Medicare after she had to stop working so hospitals went by Medicaid guidelines most of the time and one hospital showed us the guidelines that said if a patient's hemoglobin went under 7.5 then they were eligible for transfusion. She started having anemia problems after having me so even when she was well enough to work and had regular insurance she needed transfusions at times. After we moved and she no longer saw the Dr. she saw since she was young she'd dig in her heels and refuse to be discharged if they tried to do so at a hemoglobin level that she knew was too low for her body. Later on in her life when she started to really have trouble taking iron orally due to the way it would tear up her stomach even with food, she started getting weekly iron infusions when her hemoglobin would get low.  Those seemed to raise her's quicker then the oral iron would. 

Edited by Jaded
3 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I didn't think discharging someone with a hemoglobin that low was allowed. My Mom had Medicaid/Medicare after she had to stop working so hospitals went by Medicaid guidelines most of the time and one hospital showed us the guidelines that said if a patient's hemoglobin went under 7.5 then they were eligible for transfusion. She started having anemia problems after having me so even when she was well enough to work and had regular insurance she needed transfusions at times. After we moved and she no longer saw the Dr. she saw since she was young she'd dig in her heels and refuse to be discharged if they tried to do so at a hemoglobin level that she knew was too low for her body. Later on in her life when she started having trouble taking iron orally due to the way it would tear up her stomach even with food she started getting weekly iron infusions when her hemoglobin would get low.  Those seemed to raise her's quicker then the oral iron would. 

Me either. One of the surgeons who checked up on me after the surgery even said, if my levels fell below 7, then I would be transfused; but the attending who came in the morning said 6.6 was "fine" since I, you know, didn't pass out walking from the loo to my bed, and they "prefer not to" transfuse. I was like, what? But was still doped up to really argue, you know? I will either insist on that, or insist on getting iv'd some liquid iron, which was what I also had back in 2009.

• Love 1

Update:

So I had my post op/op (since I had that emergency surgery just two weeks ago) today. Healing nicely. It will take about six weeks for the stitches to dissolve, but the wound/surgical site is closed, no ruptures or openings, and spotting has stopped completely, as of this morning.

Though my hemoglobin increased by .7, it's still below 8, and the heart palpitations from just crossing the living room to the loo isn't a good sign. So my doctor scheduled me for a transfusion next week. blood or iron, I don't care which. I just want my levels up to 12 or 13. So it will be iron. Waiting for the infusion center to call to set the time. It will be good to see the nurses again. They were the best during chemo, and so very supportive, since I was always alone and didn't have anyone sitting with me.

• Love 6
25 minutes ago, 17wheatthins said:

I would sit with you; if only to share Psych stories! ?

Aww, thanks! I can just imagine as we would talk which was the best Shawn and Gus moments! You can’t pick just one!??

Well, got the call and instead of just one transfusion, it will be two, over the space of two days, next week. Can’t wait to not be tired and exhausted any longer!

• Love 7
9 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Aww, thanks! I can just imagine as we would talk which was the best Shawn and Gus moments! You can’t pick just one!??

Well, got the call and instead of just one transfusion, it will be two, over the space of two days, next week. Can’t wait to not be tired and exhausted any longer!

Glad they are finally going to help you feel stronger and better. Let us know, please!  ((Hugs))

• Love 2

re:  t.v.  problems

To anybody out there:

Have you ever had the problem where you tv physically turns itself off and back repeatedly?  Im talking up to 50x and more!  Makes it impossible to watch anything.  Not the cable box, the physical tv, its a Sony.  It is driving me crazy!

On 1/26/2018 at 3:47 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Right on Scorp!  

2 minutes ago, General Days said:

From the weekly show thread...

Are you okay?

Yeah. Had my first dose of iron yesterday, but then developed low grade fever last night. So I stayed home today so I’d have a normal temperature and get the second dose, which I’m getting right now.

I may have to get a blood transfusion if the iron isn’t enough. Some talk about “iron saturation” or some such. Blah.?????

• Love 3
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Yeah. Had my first dose of iron yesterday, but then developed low grade fever last night. So I stayed home today so I’d have a normal temperature and get the second dose, which I’m getting right now.

I may have to get a blood transfusion if the iron isn’t enough. Some talk about “iron saturation” or some such. Blah.?????

This is when I’d like an “I sympathize” instead of a “like” button.

Hoping the second dose does the trick for you, GHSCORPIOSRULE.

• Love 3

Honestly? I felt better after I had the blood and iron transfusion back in 2009, then I do today. I don't know what it is. But I'm all achy again and feverish again and just popped a couple of Tylenol. And I don't feel any different. !%Y($*&% ???????

• Love 4

I promise--this will be the last I speak of this, because I'm getting tired of listening to myself; can't imagine how it's coming across. But I don't feel any better; I'm very achy and feverish, and like I posted up thread, this wasn't the case when I was transfused many moons ago. In fact, I felt so much better after the first transfusion of blood back then.

I called and left a message with my doctor's office.

In the meantime, I'll just focus on work and take medication as needed.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, General Days said:

I wouldn't have asked if I was tired of listening, but only talk about it when you feel like it. I hope your doctor can do something to help you along.

This is all I have.

gh scorpios rule.jpg

MY ABSO-FAVORITE SOAP FAMILY!!!!!!!!

Thanks!!!!!

• Love 2

So, I thought I'd give you an update: the iron transfusions brought my levels up to 10.3. Which is just on the edge of good/normal. I would prefer to be at 13. But, I'm also to take Vitron C every day. Well, there are 60 tablets, so maybe in two months' time, I can increase my levels. I have to figure out how to get it so my heart doesn't race so fast. It's not as bad as before, but I need to increase my energy level.

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

So, I thought I'd give you an update: the iron transfusions brought my levels up to 10.3. Which is just on the edge of good/normal. I would prefer to be at 13. But, I'm also to take Vitron C every day. Well, there are 60 tablets, so maybe in two months' time, I can increase my levels. I have to figure out how to get it so my heart doesn't race so fast. It's not as bad as before, but I need to increase my energy level.

Hang in there Scorp, you'll figure out the combination!!!

• Love 3

Glad to hear things are looking up!

In less important news, I broke down and bought one of the View Your Deal things-- a pair of the bifocal sunglasses. I thought for $11 they were worth a try. There were really limited styles and magnifications, obviously these were clearance items, but it will beat having to wear big sunglasses over my readers when I'm out on the deck.  I'll let you know how it turns out!

• Love 1

I'll have to check into Vitron C.  My son (age 51) has been on IV nutrition for 14 months, following removal of his colon.  Most of his labs are good, but they have a hard tim keeping up his hemoglobin levels.  He'll go off the IV this week...but they'll leave in the IV tubes just in case, monitoring his levels for two weeks.  If everything is good, he can have the tubes removed.  He hasn't been allowed to lift more than 10 pounds all this time.  I helped him with showers because he had to s-t-r-e-t-c-h  a rubber covering over the tubes in his bicep because they couldn't get wet.  It's a job that requires three hands.  He said his only challenge is to try to relearn golf with an ostomy bag "in the way."  He's an avid golfer with a good handicap, so he has been sad for over a year.  Luckily his obnoxious golfing buddies were sweet enough to keep in constant touch.   He's back to work half-time.  Oh, am I butting in?

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

I'll have to check into Vitron C.  My son (age 51) has been on IV nutrition for 14 months, following removal of his colon.  Most of his labs are good, but they have a hard tim keeping up his hemoglobin levels.  He'll go off the IV this week...but they'll leave in the IV tubes just in case, monitoring his levels for two weeks.  If everything is good, he can have the tubes removed.  He hasn't been allowed to lift more than 10 pounds all this time.  I helped him with showers because he had to s-t-r-e-t-c-h  a rubber covering over the tubes in his bicep because they couldn't get wet.  It's a job that requires three hands.  He said his only challenge is to try to relearn golf with an ostomy bag "in the way."  He's an avid golfer with a good handicap, so he has been sad for over a year.  Luckily his obnoxious golfing buddies were sweet enough to keep in constant touch.   He's back to work half-time.  Oh, am I butting in?

The Vitron C has two things that are better--the Vitamin C of course, and that it won't cause as much constipation as other iron supplements. I think I need to up my vitamin intake. D and E? Maybe that will also help. YUCK. having to take so many pills. BLECH.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Glad to hear things are looking up!

In less important news, I broke down and bought one of the View Your Deal things-- a pair of the bifocal sunglasses. I thought for $11 they were worth a try. There were really limited styles and magnifications, obviously these were clearance items, but it will beat having to wear big sunglasses over my readers when I'm out on the deck.  I'll let you know how it turns out!

Wow thats what I need. Who's the name/brand?  Thx

Well, I have my 3 month follow up, which is actually a year since I had the reconstruction of my boobies, tomorrow. Hopefully, this will be the last, and I can get some answers as to whether the tissue, which has hardened on the upper slope of my right breast will ever liquefy, and if not, is it something I need to be concerned about? And will that "knot" that is right below my navel, will ever unknot itself?

Other than the left side of my tummy looking kind of...lumpy(?), I've been doing pretty well, all things considered.

I just hope no more surgeries.

• Love 9
40 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Well, I have my 3 month follow up, which is actually a year since I had the reconstruction of my boobies, tomorrow. Hopefully, this will be the last, and I can get some answers as to whether the tissue, which has hardened on the upper slope of my right breast will ever liquefy, and if not, is it something I need to be concerned about? And will that "knot" that is right below my navel, will ever unknot itself?

Other than the left side of my tummy looking kind of...lumpy(?), I've been doing pretty well, all things considered.

I just hope no more surgeries.

Hoping to hear good news on all fronts.  I had radiation (I have saline implants) and now one boob is higher than the other,  But, as Fred Armisen as Joy said "So what, who cares".  Being healthy is a good thing to shoot for!!!

• Love 4