Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, toodles said:

Did those 

Those girls look like they went to Truvie's to get their hair done.  That style looks like something from Steel Magnolias.  No offense to Steel Magnolias.  I love that movie.

Truvy wouldn't let her clients out with those ratty split ends, fried hair, and sloppy styling. "It takes some effort to look like this," but not to look like the R'girls. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

This was on Jill R's Facebook this morning...

**URGENT PRAYER REQUEST!!**

I Refrained from posting about this when it first happened (4 weeks ago) because we all get injuries from time to time and plus, I wanted to preserve Angie's privacy. Angie is my sister (and my sister -Amy Foster's- quadriplegic) identical twin.

However, this injury has become worse and worse and we are GRAVELY worried now. 😢😥 Let me explain.

4 weeks ago Angie was reaching for their new rabbit which had hopped behind a stack of drywall that Jordan and Angie had just purchased to remodel their basement. As Angie wrestled with the drywall to be able to reach far enough behind it to reach the rabbit, the drywall began to slip. It was 1,000 lbs. of drywall and there was NO stopping it from crashing down.

Angie (unfortunately) did not get out of the way in time and her leg and heel of her foot took the brunt of the force....splitting her heel WIDE open! Her leg was also severely bruised. :( Jordan rushed Angie to the hospital and the doctors (in my humble opinion) haphazardly sewed her loosely together.

Then started the journey of a series of poor decisions on the doctors end. 🤨We are by no means the professionals, but even in our 

limited medical expertise, thought the doctors' care of this severe wound was careless and the taking out of the stitches premature.

The wound continues to get worse and is now turning black. It is showing signs of serious infection and we are extremely concerned about possible bone infection and / or other possible life threatening concerns. We are praying even to the end that Angie will be able to KEEP her foot. 🤔

I cried over the phone with Angie and asked her permission to share with you all so that you could PRAY! ❤❤

THE EFFECTUAL, FERVENT PRAYER OF A RIGHTEOUS MAN AVAILETH MUCH!

She accompanied this with several pictures of her sister's foot, some of which were blurred out by Facebook for graphic content. Gotta love how she mentions her other sister being quadriplegic. SMH.

28 minutes ago, WallStreetDuchess said:

This was on Jill R's Facebook this morning...

**URGENT PRAYER REQUEST!!**

I Refrained from posting about this when it first happened (4 weeks ago) because we all get injuries from time to time and plus, I wanted to preserve Angie's privacy. Angie is my sister (and my sister -Amy Foster's- quadriplegic) identical twin.

However, this injury has become worse and worse and we are GRAVELY worried now. 😢😥 Let me explain.

4 weeks ago Angie was reaching for their new rabbit which had hopped behind a stack of drywall that Jordan and Angie had just purchased to remodel their basement. As Angie wrestled with the drywall to be able to reach far enough behind it to reach the rabbit, the drywall began to slip. It was 1,000 lbs. of drywall and there was NO stopping it from crashing down.

Angie (unfortunately) did not get out of the way in time and her leg and heel of her foot took the brunt of the force....splitting her heel WIDE open! Her leg was also severely bruised. :( Jordan rushed Angie to the hospital and the doctors (in my humble opinion) haphazardly sewed her loosely together.

Then started the journey of a series of poor decisions on the doctors end. 🤨We are by no means the professionals, but even in our 

limited medical expertise, thought the doctors' care of this severe wound was careless and the taking out of the stitches premature.

The wound continues to get worse and is now turning black. It is showing signs of serious infection and we are extremely concerned about possible bone infection and / or other possible life threatening concerns. We are praying even to the end that Angie will be able to KEEP her foot. 🤔

I cried over the phone with Angie and asked her permission to share with you all so that you could PRAY! ❤❤

THE EFFECTUAL, FERVENT PRAYER OF A RIGHTEOUS MAN AVAILETH MUCH!

She accompanied this with several pictures of her sister's foot, some of which were blurred out by Facebook for graphic content. Gotta love how she mentions her other sister being quadriplegic. SMH.

So did the sister go BACK to the dr.?  Idiot.

Sorry.  I couldn't resist the cap.

• LOL 6

I like how there is a complete lack of mentioning whether the sister has followed up with medical care (other than getting her stitches out), but it's all the doctor's fault. In her humble opinion. 🙄

• Love 14
28 minutes ago, toodles said:

JillRod can never speak about her sister Amy without throwing in that she is a poor crippled quadriplegic.

• Love 5

If this is an infection rather than just a bad bruise, I would hope Angie is in the hospital hooked up to some powerful antibiotics. Other than the exciting, detailed recap of the falling drywall, it's impossible to know from Jill's semiliterate post exactly what is going on. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 14

Jill R does not have MD so she doesn’t know anything. I assume Angie was told she needs to be admitted to the hospital. But refused because she probably has no health insurance. 

And why mention Amy at all she is not part of the story. 

Jill R gives me a headache.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, louannems said:

JillRod can never speak about her sister Amy without throwing in that she is a poor crippled quadriplegic.

And it's hard to tell who is the paraplegic by the way JRod worded her sentence  (and -usage- of DASHES &) parentheses).

I'm hoping that the darkness of Angie's foot is from a bad bruise & not gangrene.  It would be nice to know what is going on - whether Angie - Amy sister- identical twin -parapalegic- ( is under DOCTOR'S) care. 

• Love 8
57 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

Yeah but what about the creepy little girl's face in the lower right corner?  That just sends the image into freakishness.

You're right. I didn't notice it before. 

• Love 1

It doesn’t sound like she’s getting current medical attention. Jill can make things sound so much worse, but I looked at the pictures on Facebook. Even though they are covered, you can opt to view them. It’s quite the wound considering the way it happened. IMO something along the line was not followed correctly. Non medical opinion, Jill’s sister will need surgery. Again, 4 weeks later............

• Love 5
5 hours ago, emma675 said:

I like how there is a complete lack of mentioning whether the sister has followed up with medical care (other than getting her stitches out), but it's all the doctor's fault. In her humble opinion. 🙄

For all their confidence in prayer they all sure rush right to the hospital to see professionals.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

For all their confidence in prayer they all sure rush right to the hospital to see professionals.

They sure do, but do they thank the doctors for helping or curing them?  No, they thank their god. 

• Love 4
39 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

And, if things go well, it is because God loves them and they are extra special wonderful.  And, if things don't go well, it's because the doctors messed up.

I don't know much about orthopedic injuries but it would not surprise me if Jill's sister didn't follow instructions and this perhaps contributed to the complication.

Also, looking at the post, if really isn't vey clear what the nature and extent of the injury was in the first place, what exactly was sutured and how long it was supposed to take to heal.  If Jill's sister waited until it was more than 6 hours after the injury to get help, the wound could not be closed right away due to high risk of infection.  It's possible she waited a while and, once they got there, the docs could only place a couple of loose sutures to keep it aligned but didn't close it tightly because of the risk of infection.

• Useful 3
  • Love 9
1 minute ago, doodlebug said:

And, if things go well, it is because God loves them and they are extra special wonderful.  And, if things don't go well, it's because the doctors messed up.

I don't know much about orthopedic injuries but it would not surprise me if Jill's sister didn't follow instructions and this perhaps contributed to the complication.

Also, looking at the post, if really isn't vey clear what the nature and extent of the injury was in the first place, what exactly was sutured and how long it was supposed to take to heal.  If Jill's sister waited until it was more than 6 hours after the injury to get help, the wound could not be closed right away due to high risk of infection.  It's possible she waited a while and, once they got there, the docs could only place a couple of loose sutures to keep it aligned but didn't close it tightly because of the risk of infection.

Yes, and she could have gone to an urgent care with instructions to follow up and she didn't.  Need more info JayRod!!

• Love 2

It reads like she is blaming the sister for not getting out of the way fast enough. 

Long story short I used to have a job that required a lot of wound care, and I was very surprised to learn how rarely you can suture a wound closed or even keep it covered. Evidently the wound needs to heal from the inside out, with help from topical and/or oral antibiotics. If you suture it closed, it can trap the bacteria in there. I am assuming they opened the sutures “prematurely” to let it heal better.

• Love 8

My weird question is why is Angie just plain Angie while Amy is always Amy Foster?  Does Angie not have a last name?  Or is she, being able to walk, not worth having her last name spoken of?  Inquiring minds need to know the rules....

• LOL 10
  • Love 7
51 minutes ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

It reads like she is blaming the sister for not getting out of the way fast enough. 

Long story short I used to have a job that required a lot of wound care, and I was very surprised to learn how rarely you can suture a wound closed or even keep it covered. Evidently the wound needs to heal from the inside out, with help from topical and/or oral antibiotics. If you suture it closed, it can trap the bacteria in there. I am assuming they opened the sutures “prematurely” to let it heal better.

Because of my brother, who was in our care for nearly two years, my husband and I became all too familiar with wound care.  Most of his wounds were surgically cared for, including an amputation, while he was hospitalized and in nursing home care.  But the unexpected last wound, while he was getting ready to live independently, was a tough one.  It took 4 months, countless meds and wraps and extreme care to heal.  Additionally, he went through 50 hyperbaric chamber appointments.  Since he still couldn't drive, 4 to 5 various appointments a week were rough.  All this for a wound the size of a quarter.  Once you are dealing with a deep wound, healing becomes difficult.

Edited by fonfereksglen

I made the mistake of reading some of the comments on Jill’s Facebook post about her sister. I had to stop at the one suggesting putting Plexus lotion on the wound. 🤦‍♀️😱

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Not a Doc, but I've played one at home for years. The laceration looked pretty bad, but it appears they were able to stitch it up. I'm not sure what Jill is talking about unless she didn't post recent pictures. The picture that looks like an 'after' picture looks like it's healing with some bruising and some skin peeling. Looks okay to my untrained eye.

Edited by GeeGolly
3 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Not that I don’t feel bad for Jill’s sister, but how’s the rabbit??

4 weeks later............

I thought the same thing! What about little Thumper? I hope bunny isn't entombed behind drywall.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, BrianJ1962 said:

Can anyone imagine a Fundie based

sit-com or drama? If so who would they cast? Alex Baldwin as the patriarchal head.....

Well, Alec could play the part and it would be hilarious.  Sitcom would be a hoot.

• Love 3
On 4/28/2019 at 2:58 PM, toodles said:

I'm very concerned for Jill because she didn't write SEVERE or SEVERELY  in all caps . 

On 4/28/2019 at 3:27 PM, louannems said:

She probably hopes Angie loses the foot so she can call her Amputee-Angie from now on  and stage  a memorial service for the foot. 

• LOL 17
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, JoanArc said:

Warmth, purulent discharge, strong antibiotics. But no infection. OK, Jill.

Maybe the wound isn't a wound. Maybe it's a hellmouth opening in West Virginia. 

• LOL 14
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, JoanArc said:

Warmth, purulent discharge, strong antibiotics. But no infection. OK, Jill.

Maybe the lab work showed no systematic infection, "just" localized infection.  With JillR, who knows?

• Love 5
1 hour ago, louannems said:

Maybe the lab work showed no systematic infection, "just" localized infection.  With JillR, who knows?

Yeah, not septic. I agree; Jill doesn't even know.

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, Albanyguy said:

"We covet your prayers"? What the hell does that even mean? The Bible forbids you from coveting your neighbor's goods or his wife, but coveting his prayers is okay?

Apparently it's another now-archaic holdover usage from the KJV.

'Covet Your Prayer

Example: “As our family faces this difficult time, we covet your prayers for John and Jill.”

'Explanation: In the Ten Commandments, God clearly says, “You shall not covet” anything that is your neighbor's (Ex. 20:17, ESV). So why do some Christians say they “covet” our prayers?

'In modern usage, the term covet is almost exclusively used to mean “to desire wrongfully.” But in many of the older translations of the Bible, such as the King James Version (1611), the word was used in both a positive and a negative sense. Like the NIV and ESV, the KJV uses the term “covet” in the negative sense, such as in Exodus 20. But the KJV also uses the term positively, such as in 1 Corinthians 12:31, when Paul admonishes us to “covet earnestly the best [spiritual] gifts.” Newer versions translate that phrase as “eagerly desire” (NIV) or “earnestly desire” (ESV) rather than “covet earnestly.”

'When Christians say they “covet your prayers” they simply mean they earnestly desire that you pray for them.'

https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/article/know-your-christianese-prayer-edition/

• Useful 5
  • Love 3
(edited)

FJ follows a lot of fundies I don't follow. They had some interesting news for some fundies with whom I'm not familiar. Basically some people are engaged. What is interesting is that the women getting married are stay-at-home-daughters and older than most of the married Duggar women. One of them is 27 and the other is 39. 

It also seems that Sarah Reith, who had a broken courtship with Zach Bates,  got married. She really changed after her appearance on 19K&C and has had a lot of freedom and independence for an unmarried daughter in those circles . She seemed to be enjoying being single and I hope she enjoys being married. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
59 minutes ago, Albanyguy said:

Thanks Churchhoney, I assumed it was something like that. How pretentious.

Really! Despite the explanation, I can't get "covet your prayers" to sound anything less than truly pretentious and graspingly greedy in my mind when I see it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

1 hour ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

...I can't get "covet your prayers" to sound anything less than truly pretentious and graspingly greedy in my mind when I see it.

Well, that's pretty much Jill Rod in a nutshell.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
(edited)

I can imagine how strange it must sound to outsiders' ears, but "We covet your prayers" is an extremely common expression in certain Christian circles. There are a lot of Christian clichés that rub me the wrong way. "Love the sinner, hate the sin" comes to mind. And I know firsthand that a simple statement like "I'll pray for you" can be weaponized. But to me it seems a bit harsh to label an old-fashioned, traditional way of saying "Please pray for us" as pretentious or greedy. How exactly is that particular sentiment uttered with ill intent? Jill says so much offensive stuff; we're going to pick on that one mundane phrase? I recently began attending Prebyterian churches, and there's a part of the service when you turn to those around you and say "Peace be unto you" or some variation of that. That is probably never not going to feel a little weird to me because I didn't grow up with it, but it wouldn't really be fair to label the practice pretentious. 

Edited by Portia
  • Love 8
(edited)
2 hours ago, Portia said:

I can imagine how strange it must sound to outsiders' ears, but "We covet your prayers" is an extremely common expression in certain Christian circles. There are a lot of Christian clichés that rub me the wrong way. "Love the sinner, hate the sin" comes to mind. And I know firsthand that a simple statement like "I'll pray for you" can be weaponized. But to me it seems a bit harsh to label an old-fashioned, traditional way of saying "Please pray for us" as pretentious or greedy. How is that particular sentiment uttered with ill intent? Jill says so much offensive stuff; we're going to pick on that one mundane phrase? I recently began attending Prebyterian churches, and there's a part of the service when you turn to those around you and say "Peace be unto you" or some variation of that. That is probably never not going to feel a little weird to me because I didn't grow up with it, but I wouldn't be fair to label the practice pretentious. 

Yeah, I agree.

To me, there are two reasons they could be using this language. One I actually like and the other is just their roboticness.

I do think sometimes some of them are probably actually drawn to the elevated-seeming high-language thing of words like that -- elevated language feels religious, a lot of times, I think. Being drawn to the archaic phrasings of the KJV isn't any different from having a Shakespeare or Jane Austen fetish, which lots of people do. .... I certainly do, and it goes way beyond that even. I have a George Herbert, Andrew Marvell and John Donne fetish -- which is basically the same thing as a KJV fetish. Heck, we were required to memorize and recite the Gettysburg Address when I was in 8th grade, and I can still do it, I still do do it, sometimes quietly to myself when I'm feeling bad about politics, and it still makes me cry. It's that old traditional beautiful (KJV-influence, big time, for Mr. Lincoln) language that does it.

I think I said this somewhere the other day, but I'll say it again -- being drawn to that high language is probably the closest the Duggars, for example, come to having a feeling for poetry and possibly (inadvertently, I suppose!) even planting a tiny bit of a seed of that in some random Duggar kid where it might someday bloom (a person can hope...)

And then there's the force-of-habit factor. Churches tend to be traditional institutions. One of the things about all traditional institutions is they pass down old traditional things for years. So it's just ritual language that these people have heard for many years. They are basically parrots, after all.

I'm not impressed with Jill R's faith because, to my mind, it helps her justify mistreating her kids, among other things.  But I think she's just repeating words she's heard in churches for years when she uses that "covet your prayers" line. Or she may actually be drawn to the elevated feeling of the language -- and when you're doing that to speak of things that you see as holy and important, then I wouldn't call that pretentious. You're not doing it to show you know the word (that'd be pretentious, in my mind) but because you feel it suits your important subject. 

MMV, obviously.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 3
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Yeah, I agree.

To me, there are two reasons they could be using this language. One I actually like and the other is just their roboticness.

I do think sometimes some of them are probably actually drawn to the elevated-seeming high-language thing of words like that -- elevated language feels religious, a lot of times, I think. Being drawn to the archaic phrasings of the KJV isn't any different from having a Shakespeare or Jane Austen fetish, which lots of people do. .... I certainly do, and it goes way beyond that even. I have a George Herbert, Andrew Marvell and John Donne fetish -- which is basically the same thing as a KJV fetish. Heck, we were required to memorize and recite the Gettysburg Address when I was in 8th grade, and I can still do it, I still do do it, sometimes quietly to myself when I'm feeling bad about politics, and it still makes me cry. It's that old traditional beautiful (KJV-influence, big time, for Mr. Lincoln) language that does it.

I think I said this somewhere the other day, but I'll say it again -- being drawn to that high language is probably the closest the Duggars, for example, come to having a feeling for poetry and possibly (inadvertently, I suppose!) even planting a tiny bit of a seed of that in some random Duggar kid where it might someday bloom (a person can hope...)

And then there's the force-of-habit factor. Churches tend to be traditional institutions. One of the things about all traditional institutions is they pass down old traditional things for years. So it's just ritual language that these people have heard for many years. They are basically parrots, after all.

I'm not impressed with Jill R's faith because, to my mind, it helps her justify mistreating her kids, among other things.  But I think she's just repeating words she's heard in churches for years when she use that "covet your prayers" line. Or she may actually be drawn to the elevated feeling of the language -- and when you're doing that to speak of things that you see as holy and important, then I wouldn't call that pretentious. You're not doing it to show you know the word (that'd be pretentious, in my mind) but because you feel it suits your important subject. 

MMV, obviously.

Beautifully said, CH. ❤️

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

CA595B93-6A88-41B2-9EAD-68505A21444A.jpeg

The video:

I'll be honest. I didn't get much further than "Maulucci and Lancaster Family's" because the glaring apostrophe error caused my left eye to start twitching.  But I skipped through the video and saw enough to know this: one need not be "technical savvy" in order to put together a simple slideshow like that.

• Love 13