Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

35 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

Are those Puka shells she's wearing? 

Her dress looks like it came off the Mother (or Grandma) of the Bride rack. 

I enlarged it.  It's a cheap set of probably freshwater pearls.   The pearls are irregular in color and shape.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
(edited)

That dress looks like something Dorothy Zbornak would wear on Golden Girls.

I try to be mindful that these people don't have a lot of money, but that is one of the worst bridal ensembles I've ever seen.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 21
3 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I try to be mindful that these people don't have a lot of money, but that is one of the worst bridal ensembles I've ever seen.

It kinda looks like the dress my Grandma wore for her 40th wedding anniversary-in 1963.

That poor girl is just lucky there's a pandemic going on or someone might've called The Fashion Police and they'd have hauled her out of there in handcuffs.

• LOL 12
17 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

It kinda looks like the dress my Grandma wore for her 40th wedding anniversary-in 1963.

That poor girl is just lucky there's a pandemic going on or someone might've called The Fashion Police and they'd have hauled her out of there in handcuffs.

The dress looks homemade and while very matronly, at least it's not doctored up with modesty tee shirts.

I cannot quit looking at her hair.  It seems so lank and even unwashed.  Maybe just humid there?

17 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

It’s pretty bad. But at least she’s smiling through her eyes. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
(edited)

Well, on the bright side, they certainly don't know anybody who'll look at their clothes and judge them on the standards the average contemporary American might use. I'm pretty sure their social circle dresses the exact same way and nobody even knows what contemporary bridal fashion looks like (or any bridal fashion, for that matter).  The Fashion Police don't show up in places where nobody cares about being on trend.

She's been raised to be what most of us would consider an old lady. So I guess it's no surprise that she looks that way. And it's not as if she'd become a civil engineer or dentist or professor of Spanish literature even if she weren't marrying the Maxwell. 

And if the thing online that claims to be their wedding registry really is their wedding registry, they asked for nice and necessary but modest stuff -- not a lot of crazy non-household items and pricey shit or a thousand towel sets, like Duggars -- and they seem to have received most of it. 

Not that you can always tell about this, but to me she looks genuinely happy, and as far as I can tell from the back, he looks happy, too. And they didn't spend money on clothes that they'll certainly need for other stuff. Those are probably the main things they wanted out of their wedding, and they got 'em.

I just hope he's not as nuts as his father. Although I suppose chances of that are slim. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 16
(edited)

Is it possible that dress was her mother’s or grandmother’s? It looks like something from the late 60s sales rack at David’s Bridals...

ETA: Vintage 1960s gown...

4D2958F7-882D-4F2E-A30F-CBDE06F7A648.jpeg

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
32 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Not that you can always tell about this, but to me she looks genuinely happy, and as far as I can tell from the back, he looks happy, too. And they didn't spend money on clothes that they'll certainly need for other stuff. Those are probably the main things they wanted out of their wedding, and they got 'em.

I just hope he's not as nuts as his father. Although I suppose chances of that are slim. 

They both do look really happy and that they are pleased to be marrying each other. 

Only time will tell regarding the groom and his father. 

• Love 7
(edited)
20 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Her dress looks homemade. Both their glasses look on trend though.

I vote for homemade. The pattern is fairly simple and the lace on the neck looks like something from any budget fabric store.

One good thing is that the dress was designed to be modest from the start. It's not a store-bought dress with a t-shirt worn under it and not-matching fabric tacked on the bottom. The Duggars were masters of the Frankendress until Jessa put her foot down for her wedding. 

Edited by BradandJanet
  • Love 20
(edited)
On 5/21/2020 at 11:59 PM, Oldernowiser said:

Okay, now this is fun! I can just picture JRod, upon hearing a rival grifter fundie family has just fellowshipped  tapped out her target church of the week...eyelashes flutter, voice drops, “Well I think it’s just so forgiving and sweet of you-all to have taken them into your hearts this way! So many people wouldn’t have, what with the scandals and all...bless their hearts.” “What scandals? You know, as a Christian woman SEVERELY serving Jesus, I just wouldn’t want to say! But I’m sure God has forgiven them...if they asked for forgiveness, of course...so I am searching my servant’s heart to do the same, in His name, amen.”

You don’t get between JRod and her marks.

I found myself reading this in the voice of Brenda Lee Johnson (The Closer) as she's luring a suspect into a false sense of security before going in for the kill. TBH, I enjoyed it more that way. 

Edited by mimionthebeach
  • LOL 17
  • Love 2

I don't think her dress is ugly or hideous, especially for a strict fundy wedding. As @BradandJanet said, it's an actual wedding dress not a Frankendress. It's something I might have worn if I had had an actual wedding in the early 80s instead of getting married in the judge's chambers, so it's 30-50 years out of style which is pretty much in line with fundy culture.

• Useful 4
  • Love 6

I think, in the real world, this could be a picture of two cute, quirky nerds who put together their own wedding in the backyard and made their own wedding outfits because it was more fun that way. In reality, it's two sheltered, fanatically religious young people who probably know less about the real world than they do of each other.

• Love 18
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Her dress looks homemade. Both their glasses look on trend though.

Yes, hideously ugly glasses are unfortunately on trend for the younger set these days. My nephew will be 25 in like a week. He's got some old man Buddy Holly glasses and a second pair that are a truly atrocious teal green/blue? I don't even know. Think Sally Jesse. His fiancee has taken to wearing some ridiculously oversized frame which are equally as ugly. I honestly don't get why giant ugly ass glasses are a thing these days, but they 100% are. 

Her dress is frumpy at best, but she looks happy, so I guess that's all that counts. We've certainly seen worse at the fundy weddings and when I think of the stripper fairy dresses on Say Yes to the Dress, I'd take frumpy over a lot of them. I will say the dress with the glasses on both of them gives off almost a hipster vibe. Inadvertent I'm sure, but they are almost on A trend. A dying trend, but a trend none the less. 

• Love 8

I won't judge on the glasses. The larger frames are a godsend. I've wore glasses since I was little and I vastly prefer the oversized frames. No blurry edges during the day! Can see everything! ALLEUIA!!!

The dress is a choice... That being said it isn't a Frankendress so it's automatically better than what Jill D, Erin, and Michaela wore at their weddings.

I hope she enjoys the joyless cult of Stevehovah. She's so young. Meanwhile her sisters-in-law who are older are still sharing a bedroom with two of them in a bunk bed. 

• Love 5
(edited)

I think the dress is ok,they're just both a rather homely looking couple,and could use some makeup and hair/fashion advice;albeit,not allowed,I'm sure.The dress would be fine,via nice hair and makeup on the bride,and some better glasses.Jmo

Edited by sondraK
  • Love 3

Someone said the material had zero stretch or give so she needed it big to be able to move in it. Like she could move her arms if the sleeves were big. 

The dress looks heavy and like it's wearing her. 

I love the big glasses trend. My glasses tend to be big. 

Is the only photo of the dress the one above? I think it's really hard to judge a dress when you're only seeing it from the waist up. And I definitely think there have been worse in the fundie-verse!

Switching subjects... Jill R. hasn't posted on Instagram lately.  Wonder what's up?

• Love 6
1 hour ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Switching subjects... Jill R. hasn't posted on Instagram lately.  Wonder what's up?

Jill's busy trying to figure out who this blond guy is who moved onto her property and now shows up for dinner every night.  

• LOL 18
  • Love 1
(edited)
15 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

Meanwhile her sisters-in-law who are older are still sharing a bedroom with two of them in a bunk bed. 

At least the girls' bedroom situation will change now that Jesse got married. One of them can now move into his room.  I'm thinking  Sarah since she's the oldest & her writing would benefit from the quietness of being by herself.  (Something has to help her writing.)

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

At least the girls' bedroom situation will change now that Jesse got married. One of them can now move into his room.  I'm thinking  Sarah since she's the oldest & her writing would benefit from the quietness of being by herself.  (Something has to help her writing.)

You might think that, but I could see Stevehovah refusing to allow his grown daughters that option.  After all. if Sarah was to have any privacy she might have an independent thought or-gasp!- do something sinful while she's alone!  She might touch herself, down THERE if she ever had an unsupervised moment.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
(edited)

Sarah used to have her own room, but then was moved in with the younger girls. They said it was so she wouldn't be left out. I think Steve wants her to keep tabs on her little sisters and makes sure they're not straying from the fold. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

Jill's busy trying to figure out who this blond guy is who moved onto her property and now shows up for dinner every night.  

Or trying to figure out how to frame what really happened .

8 hours ago, Barb23 said:

And give Sarah privacy ? We all know privacy leads to thinking and other sinfull activities .

• Love 2

If you read the Maxwells blog, it's funny how blindsided their fans were by Jesse's wedding.  Comment after comment features people saying they're surprised. That Steve allowed all his readers to say they were blindsided, makes me think he's gloating about the readers being kept in the dark. (Comments only get published if Steve approves and he's been known to edit comments as well.) I get that people have a right to their privacy, but this family blogs about all their personal lives. I also know Steve is terrified of broken engagements/courtships. It still seems mean like Steve is gloating about pulling a fast one on his readers. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Wasn't the wedding info on some off the beaten path of the blog? The info was definitely somewhere that was fairly easily found. But definitely on the Titus 2 blog.

I don't think so. The wedding info we had came from their wedding registry which someone on FJ found. They are registered at Amazon and Bed, Bath, and Beyond. There was a line in the bios for the family about "five married children" before the wedding, but nothing more direct than that. 

• Love 1

Anna Marie Maxwell update:

She was released from the hospital Sunday morning and will to the clinic? hospital? for tests Tuesday morning to see if she is up to having chemo. As I noted a few days ago, Christopher did fly in today and it's confirmed that he shaved his head in solidarity. Anna wears head coverings.

• Useful 5

I am not a fundy, but I have to say I would be shocked and upset at a Bible (any of them) being tossed in the trash too.  Like, little old Southern lady, pearl clutching, shock.  

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, ouinason said:

I am not a fundy, but I have to say I would be shocked and upset at a Bible (any of them) being tossed in the trash too.  Like, little old Southern lady, pearl clutching, shock.  

I think many of us would, but, remember, this is Jill Rodrigues and she is not known for truthfulness.  Timbits was attending a Christian college to study missionary aviation.  Jill has always been adamant that the King James version of the Bible is the only true translation and that any other version is corrupt.  Their family seek out KJV only churches for themselves and, when Tim went away to this particular school, Jill expressed reservations that not all of the faculty there were strictly KJV people.  It seems that Tim was in a class with an instructor who was not convinced of the King James version's superiority nor that all other Biblical translations were corrupt and heretical and said so in class.  We're not so sure he actually threw away a KJV Bible in reality, just that he was willing to accept other translations as valid.  All of the instructors at the college Tim attended were evangelical Christians and, as I recall, this guy didn't dispute the KJV's worth; he simply stated there were other translations he personally preferred.  If you know anything at all about Jill and the way she has raised her kids; that alone would be more than enough to convince her that satan was at work in that school and would send her into a righteous frenzy.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 12
(edited)

Acknowledging other versions of the Bible as valid is equal to throwing out the KJV as far as Jill (the author of this tale) is concerned.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 6
(edited)

apparently Lawson Bates had an accident injury a few days ago

https://twitter.com/lawbates/status/1264725715603374080?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

pics of him it a neck brace in the ER on the gossip sites, but there he is on his twitter and Instagram in the driver's seat of a car, saying he has a concussion and will tell his fans what happened when he can "think straight"

eta - and oh his hair is done perfectly to show off the wound

Edited by crazy8s
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3

That’s a closet not a nursery. And again too much stuff and chatchies 

I think there is window on the right wall

17 minutes ago, emma675 said:

How old is Janessa? She looks like she's going to outgrow that crib soon.

2?

• Love 3
(edited)
2 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

It's Janessa's room(for now) and I spy at least five pictures of Jill 🙄

Janessa might forget what Jill looks like by morning 

Edited by galaxychaser
  • LOL 6