Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

22 hours ago, Temperance said:

The Bontragers have a lot of news! Their son Carson and his wife Carolina are expecting their second child and due in August.  This is their second child. Their daughter Jubilee will be 2 in July. Carson is the fourth Bontrager child and the second son. This is the seventh grandchild for the Bontragers.

Their third son Joshua and his wife Cassidy are going to have their second child any day now. The baby was due on Sunday. Their son Wallace will be 2 in July the day after his cousin Jubilee (see above). This is the 5th grandchild in the Bontrager family. 

Cassidy and Carolina Bontrager are actually sisters! Their maiden name is Bowers. The Bowers are a family of nine with similar beliefs to the Bontragers and other fundies. They make propaganda and are grifters. Carolina is the oldest and Cassidy is the second oldest. After them come six boys. All of them have names that start with C. None of the boys are married in part, because like many fundie boys, they aren't ready to support a family financially. 

Chelsy Maxwell is also Bontrager. Her grandchild will be the sixth for her parents. Cassidy and Joshua are having a baby soon, Chelsy and John are having a baby in June and Carolina and Carson are due in August. 

I'm quoting myself to so there's an explanation of who these people are. Cassidy gave birth to her second son Winston Marshall Bontrager yesterday(4/22/2020), but announced today (4/23).  He joins older brother Wallace who is 21 months. Cassidy is married to third Bontrager son Joshua Bontrager.

The boys both have W names, and are also named after prominant historical figures. Wallace Bradford is named after William Wallace and William Bradford. Winston Marshall is named after Winston Churchill and Peter Marshall ("a Scottish preacher who turned many to Jesus").

This is the Bontragers' 5th grandchild. They have two more on the way. This is the Bowers' third grandchild. They have one more on the way.

Edited by Temperance
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Temperance said:

I'm quoting myself to so there's an explanation of who these people are. Cassidy gave birth to her second son Winston Marshall Bontrager yesterday(4/22/2020), but announced today (4/23).  He joins older brother Wallace who is 21 months. Cassidy is married to third Bontrager son Joshua Bontrager.

The boys both have W names, and are also named after prominant historical figures. Wallace Bradford is named after William Wallace and William Bradford. Winston Marshall is named after Winston Churchill and Peter Marshall ("a Scottish preacher who turned many to Jesus").

This is the Bontragers' 5th grandchild. They have two more on the way. This is the Bowers' third grandchild. They have one more on the way.

I just saw that on Duggar Data but not the explanation for the name. Either that part might not have been up yet or was having fun guessing Winston Churchill and Thurgood Marshall. Either that or Joshua saw that post and immediately posted a clarification. 

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, Temperance said:

Wallace Bradford is named after William Wallace and William Bradford. Winston Marshall is named after Winston Churchill and Peter Marshall ("a Scottish preacher who turned many to Jesus").

It's like they were playing some weird game of famous person Bingo and matched up the most random ones to name their kids. Though I guess the Williams both have revolting against England in common. LOL

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I'm gonna need someone who speaks Fundie to explain to me why one would name their son after Winston Churchill.  Nothing I have read about Winston has shown him to be that much of a "believer" and his personal habits seem antithetical to modern American fundies.  The man drank, smoked, used opium, and was not 100% faithful to his wife over the course of his marriage.   

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7

My handsome prince? Girl you need glasses and higher standards.

I’m shocked she didn’t mention that his beloved sister is married to Prince Smuggar Duggar. By next year you will have a blessing and a career selling/consuming plexus. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 3
48 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I'm gonna need someone who speaks Fundie to explain to me why one would name their son after Winston Churchill.  Nothing I have read about Winston has shown him to be that much of a "believer" and his personal habits seem antithetical to modern American fundies.  The man drank, smoked, used opium, and was not 100% faithful to his wife over the course of his marriage.   

They liked the name Winston, they saw it on a puppy once. However that was unacceptable so they googled "famous Winstons" and settled on Winston Churchill as the kid's namesake. 

Much like I suspect how the Seewalds justified Ivy's middle name. 

Edited by PikaScrewChu
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

I’m shocked she didn’t mention that his beloved sister is married to Prince Smuggar Duggar. 

That's one reason to believe Nurie actually wrote this, and not Jill. 

• Love 12
11 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

They liked the name Winston, they saw it on a puppy once. However that was unacceptable so they googled "famous Winstons" and settled on Winston Churchill as the kid's namesake. 

Much like I suspect how the Seewalds justified Ivy's middle name. 

I actually get Ivy Jane Seewald.  Jane Grey was a Protestant "martyr" who was also an obedient daughter.  She died for her faith her father's political ambitions.  

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I'd venture to say they know nothing about him as a person and just generically have decided he was a freedom fighter because he was on the right side during WWII. I know a lot of conservative Christians who idolize Churchill because of his wartime leadership. They don't seem to know anything else about him or if they do they don't seem to care.

Edited by Zella
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I actually get Ivy Jane Seewald.  Jane Grey was a Protestant "martyr" who was also an obedient daughter.  She died for her faith her father's political ambitions.  

Jane is also a pretty common and respectable name that is popular for middle names because it goes well with many other girls' names.  Harder to justify Spurgeon.  Or Winston, for that matter.

And anyone who admires poor Lady Jane Grey, who was sacrificed by her father and father in law in their quest for power after Edward VI died; needs to take a closer look at her life.  She was a devout Protestant daughter who obeyed her parents' wishes that she become Queen of England even though it cost her head.  I guess the Duggars, having sacrificed at least 4 of their daughters to their own ambitions, can relate.  Jessa being one of them maybe feels a kinship with her.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 9

I hope they're not planning on have 20 children because they're going to run out of "w" names with fabricated contexts pretty soon.

13 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Those names are so Joshua. He's even worse than Ben Seewald. 

I don't know, Wallace and Winston can still pass for normal, if somewhat uncommon, names. There is no excuse for Spurgeon.

• LOL 1
  • Love 14
54 minutes ago, Nysha said:

I hope they're not planning on have 20 children because they're going to run out of "w" names with fabricated contexts pretty soon.

Nuh uhh... there’s all sorts of “W” names they haven’t thought of.  Whistler, Wiggidy Wiggidy Wack, Wannabe (perhaps they should save this one RDO and Human Tofu), Whatchamacallit, Whodini (as in 🎵”The freaks come out at night”🎵)Wallflower, and my favorite Wanker.

• LOL 13
  • Love 1

Sounds like Nurie is planning for the wedding to happen this summer regardless of circumstances. She and her handsome Prince are so desperate to have sex, they'll walk through a swarm of virus for the opportunity. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 11
36 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

No, it’s Happy birthday to my religious, SEVERELY virgin husband!!!!!!!

my religious, SEVERELY virgin but VERY sanitary husband 😉 

• LOL 21
5 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Joshua Bontrager is happy to oblige. He's writing two blog posts on the subject of the baby's name. (He also wrote blog posts about his first son's name when he was born.)

Joshua dropped the first one today "5 Leadership Lessons From the Life of Winston Churchill". You can read the full post on the blog: JoshuaBontrager.com. Here's the introduction: 

"Born November 30, 1874, Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill possessed the determination of a bulldog. And well might he, for he was descended from one of Britain’s greatest generals, the daring, cunning, master-leader John Churchill, Duke of Marlborough (1650-1722).  

Of Winston Churchill, historian Paul Johnson writes, “No man did more to preserve freedom and democracy and the values we hold dear in the West.” 

Though Winston Churchill certainly had his faults, he must be ranked as one of history’s greatest leaders and profiles of courage. We named our son after this remarkable man, praying that our Winston will demonstrate the same attributes as he serves Christ. Here are five lessons from the life of Winston Churchill. "

Basically both boys are named after men who depict leadership as their father sees them as aspiring leaders. They claim the "W" theme is accidental and won't necessarily be continued. 

Winston makes me think of Winston Smith, protagonist of 1984.  I like the name well enough. The pretentious reasoning behind the names Winston and Wallace is too much, but the names are nice. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
38 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Do they realize they're basically hiring a plane with a banner saying, Nuri and Nathan are having their first sexual experience at 6pm 7/13/20. 

(made the date up)

...to be completed by 6:02 pm. Enjoy your SPECIAL party mints and AMAZING fellowship with SWEET friends.

• LOL 18
  • Love 2

Okay, I was curious enough to go check out Joshua Bontrager's blog and that's five minutes of my life I'll never get back. We think Josh Duggar is smug and Jeremy Vuolo is pretentious, but they have nothing on this guy! In fairness, however, I will give him credit for two things. His blog looks quite attractive compared to the other Fundie ones I've seen. The pictures and graphics are nice and his grammar, punctuation and spelling are very good. I know that's not a very high bar, but at least he made an effort to be literate. Second, unlike his brethren who think that Covid-19 is part of an evil liberal conspiracy or who think that they don't need to wear masks or stay home because Jesus is the only protection they need, he seems to be taking the pandemic seriously. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
6 minutes ago, Zella said:

I think that would require more self-awareness (and historical knowledge) than any of them are capable of. 

Well, Oswald did marry the scandalous Diana Mitford who left the heir of the Guiness fortune for him, and, you know,  he was a fascist.   

I love everything about the Mitford sisters.   Speaking of which, Unity Valkyrie just screams fundie daughter. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Unity Valkyrie just screams fundie daughter. 

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I'd pay good money to watch the Duggars cope with a Mitford sister type as an in-law. LOLOL

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 4

I hope Nathan and Nurie have a house of their own. How nice for her to have a bathroom she can stay in as long as she wants, and a bed she doesn't have to share with a baby in diapers. 

Forget it. Greedy Jill, Dumpy David, and a van load of kids will show up for extended visits. Jill SEVERELY loves free vacations. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Turquoise said:

...to be completed by 6:02 pm. Enjoy your SPECIAL party mints and AMAZING fellowship with SWEET friends.

I'm not sure this SEVERELY  pure virgin is going to last 2 minutes . 

• LOL 10
13 minutes ago, lianau said:

I'm not sure this SEVERELY  pure virgin is going to last 2 minutes . 

One and a half minutes to get their clothes off in the SEVERE darkness.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • LOL 9
5 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Its probably too much to hope for that the house is far away from Jill.

Nathan lives and works in Florida, doesn't he? Maybe they will move there and that is their house Nathan is working on. I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned. 

I doubt Jill is very emotionally attached to her kids, but if Nurie can provide Jill with a wedding to plan and a free vacation destination to use at any time, Nurie's star will shine brightly. Remember Timothy, anybody? He was quite the star for a while, but apparently not so much now. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, BradandJanet said:

I doubt Jill is very emotionally attached to her kids, but if Nurie can provide Jill with a wedding to plan and a free vacation destination to use at any time, Nurie's star will shine brightly. Remember Timothy, anybody? He was quite the star for a while, but apparently not so much now. 

Yep. Tim bombed out of Moody so there went his "my son the missionary pilot for Jesus" value. (Either Tim couldn't cut the classwork. Or, his parents couldn't come up with the money and Jill couldn't pull off a grift with all her usual tricks. Moody's probably seen and heard every variation on the "we're speshul Christians serving Jesus which is why we don't hold real jobs and you need to give our kid a free ride" thing. I think Jill met her match. Heh. I bet that somewhere in Moody's financial office, somebody has a plaque on their desk that says, "In God we trust. All others pay cash.")

Jill plastered her SM ad nauseam about Timmy's change to the Wisconsin school - but has gone strangely radio silent about school since shortly after he got there. Hmm . . . 

So now it's Nurie, and the wonderful David My Husband Who Can Do EVERYTHING, as the SM stars - with the occasional SM bone thrown to one of the notNuries. And you just know if Nurie gets knocked up on her honeymoon, JillR's SM will pretty much explode with all the deets of the pregnancy. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 9

From that one picture it looks like a foreclosuer home that took a beating from a storm?

Nathan looks so much better now that his ache has cleared up.

And I bet they can't wait for that all important "intimate touching" once they push Jill out of the way from her pushy picture taking. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Fuzzysox said:

And I bet they can't wait for that all important "intimate touching" once they push Jill out of the way from her pushy picture taking. 

Don't put it past Jill to be there with her camera to document it. 

• LOL 10