Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

8 minutes ago, Chicklet said:

Yea the fact that you can have COVID more than once is no reason to act like an intelligent human being and care about your bestie's health as much as your own. 

Don't think that is part of Carlin's wheelhouse.

• LOL 3
  • Love 13
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

It was covid. Apparently a severe case. No mention of Chad or the kids contracting it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGy3BVgr_S0/

Came back to add, Erin said she tested positive in August. She made 3 posts in September, two posts this month, including this one. She must be one of the long haulers who seem to get better, relapse and then continue to have symptoms.

Not surprising. We're finding it's next to impossible to control the spread in multi-generational homes. And considering those people tend have next to no choice but to choose between working and shelter, well...

The Bateses might as well be a multi-generational home. Gil and Kelly should have just built an apartment complex.

I'm more surprised that the Duggars and other large fundie families haven't had any issues. That being said, most of them don't work for a living and/or interact with the public too much so that may make a difference.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Apparently her sister Lisa wrote a book. The lone review is interesting.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N690WRI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_JRMCFbZ97TCZH

The reviewer's synopsis of the story sounds far more interesting that the book could possibly be.  The title 'Serena's Serenity' is bad enough.  The story seems to be filled with plenty of misogyny, not to mention all sorts of lies about life in the mainstream.  Seems that Serena, who apparently has no formal training, enters and wins a piano competition in NYC, no less, competing against pianists with conservatory educations, and is then supposed to go on tour.  Except, she discovers she is pregnant with her umpteenth blessing and the organizers of the contest have never heard of equal protection laws and she will be immediately disqualified for being with child.  Because she got help from the fetus?  Because pregnant women cannot travel?  Because gestating interferes with piano playing?

Particularly loved reading the part where Serena has to be the one to run an errand because some male friends are coming over to help with something and she cannot be at home with other men unaccompanied by her husband.  And he thanks her for having a boy baby, but is strangely silent about girl babies.

Of course, the lesson that Serena learns, the source of her serenity, is that she realizes that being a stay at home mom, homeschooling an army for Jesus, is the best job ever and no amount of success as a prize winning pianist can compare.

If this chick is less rigidly conservative than Jill, I am just glad that Jill didn't write a book.  I'm half tempted to buy a copy if only to pull out my red pencil and correct all of the inevitable grammar and spelling errors.

• LOL 8
  • Love 8

I guess I am heartless but I am having a really hard time dredging up some sympathy.  These folks were reckless, and it was only a matter of time until someone caught the virus.  The problem is, with Covid there are no guarantees.  Some healthy people with no risk factors like Erin get hit hard, while others have milder cases like Carlin.  You just cannot predict how it will affect any given person.  I'd like to think they have learned something but I doubt it.  Just yesterday on Kelly's Instagram she posted that  the little Filipino girl named Esther with the heart problem and her mother were "sharing their testimony"  at the Bates' church.  SMH.  The child had major surgery and she is in a packed church, with no masks.  The stupidity is astounding.  But of course LAWSON helped her so they just had to show off the results, pandemic be damned.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 4
31 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

I guess I am heartless but I am having a really hard time dredging up some sympathy.  These folks were reckless, and it was only a matter of time until someone caught the virus.  The problem is, with Covid there are no guarantees.  Some healthy people with no risk factors like Erin get hit hard, while others have milder cases like Carlin.  You just cannot predict how it will affect any given person.  I'd like to think they have learned something but I doubt it.  Just yesterday on Kelly's Instagram she posted that  the little Filipino girl named Esther with the heart problem and her mother were "sharing their testimony"  at the Bates' church.  SMH.  The child had major surgery and she is in a packed church, with no masks.  The stupidity is astounding.  But of course LAWSON helped her so they just had to show off the results, pandemic be damned.

Yikes! That poor kid. I know someone in her 20s with immune system issues (had an organ transplant as a child). She came down with COVID in mid-September and still cannot return to office work. She fortunately never had the type of symptoms that landed her in the hospital, but it's still been pretty debilitating for her. My stepmom's symptoms were always mild, but she is still struggling with fatigue. I can't imagine subjecting an already high-risk kid recovering from surgery to any sort of unnecessary exposure. 😞 

5 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

It was covid. Apparently a severe case. No mention of Chad or the kids contracting it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGy3BVgr_S0/

Came back to add, Erin said she tested positive in August. She made 3 posts in September, two posts this month, including this one. She must be one of the long haulers who seem to get better, relapse and then continue to have symptoms.

Yet there’s her sister Carlin still gallivanting around the country with her vulnerable child.

1 hour ago, 3 is enough said:

Oh, I also have zero sympathy. 

• Love 9
4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Hmmm, Lisa was married in 1996, has 5 children and hasn't had a child since 2004. She's also on LinkedIn.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/lisa-moravek-410100117?trk=people-guest_people_search-card

If you want a good laugh, someone on FJ took one for the team. I haven't had time to read the entire thread, but what I read was both eyeroll worthy and hilarious. You need to be a member, but the thread (plus the Jill one) are worth joining for. 

• Useful 2
  • LOL 7
48 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

If you want a good laugh, someone on FJ took one for the team. I haven't had time to read the entire thread, but what I read was both eyeroll worthy and hilarious. You need to be a member, but the thread (plus the Jill one) are worth joining for. 

The Reddit people offer some pretty good snark on this book too.

The book was put out by a vanity press, so no one took the time to edit it, and we know the high level of drama and the low level of grammar, vocabulary, and logic taught in the Joyful Noyes home school of functional illiteracy.  The book apparently contains some interesting female names and plot points too.  

• Useful 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

Not surprising. We're finding it's next to impossible to control the spread in multi-generational homes. And considering those people tend have next to no choice but to choose between working and shelter, well...

The Bateses might as well be a multi-generational home. Gil and Kelly should have just built an apartment complex.

I'm more surprised that the Duggars and other large fundie families haven't had any issues. That being said, most of them don't work for a living and/or interact with the public too much so that may make a difference.

Because no one knows who else has it, its hard to day, but I'm guessing Erin got it from a Bates. Chad works for himself now, but Erin works with 2 or 3 sisters, plus a sister-in-law selling online clothing. Forever travelling Carlin is one of them.

They don't seem to all gather as much as the Duggars do causally, but they have some type of celebration practically weekly.

Neither the Duggars or Bates were taking it seriously from the beginning.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

What is FJ?

2 hours ago, auburn-waves said:

Is this before we learn that Not-so-serene Serena's daughter Allegra (with the SEVERE allergies?) was blown up in a gas explosion in their house(?), on which their insurance policy had just lapsed? 

"It was a dark and stormy night."

Here are the Reddit comments: 

This goes on, of course. I'm not sure why the link embedded like this.

Edited by BradandJanet
Confusion
  • Useful 5
  • LOL 11

On the Noyes family: (Jill Rodrigues's family of origin)

Her parents are Tim and Pat Noyes. They have four daughters Lisa, Jill, Amy and Angie. The Noyes family  (parents seemed to limit their family size. Their three youngest kids are very close in age. They seemed to become fundier at some point, pulling the kids from school and homeschooling. They also seemed to push their daughters to be quiverfull even if they aren't. (Side Note: This is a pet peeve of mine. Don't push kids to have lots of kids, especially if you didn't, hypocrites!

Lisa Moravek is the oldest. It is unclear how old she is. She has 5 kids.  She also was foster parent of sometime. She wrote a novel called Serena's Serenity.

Jill Rodrigues is next. She has the most children with 13. Oldest daughter Nurie is married to Nathan. Jill is 41 and will be 42 next week on Tuesday.

Amy and Angie are twins and they are born in December the year after Jill.  (They are currently 40 and will be 42 in December.)

Amy got married in 2005. She had 6 children. She was in a car accident that left her quadraplegic. Since the accident, she has stopped having children. 

Angie got married in 2006. She has 9 children. She just her 9th baby earlier this month (10/8). 

Edited by Temperance
  • Useful 12
7 hours ago, Temperance said:

On the Noyes family: (Jill Rodrigues's family of origin)

Her parents are Tim and Pat Noyes. They have four daughters Lisa, Jill, Amy and Angie. The Noyes family  (parents seemed to limit their family size. Their three youngest kids are very close in age. They seemed to become fundier at some point, pulling the kids from school and homeschooling. They also seemed to push their daughters to be quiverfull even if they aren't. (Side Note: This is a pet peeve of mine. Don't push kids to have lots of kids, especially if you didn't, hypocrites!

Lisa Moravek is the oldest. It is unclear how old she is. She has 5 kids.  She also was foster parent of sometime. She wrote a novel called Serena's Serenity.

Jill Rodrigues is next. She has the most children with 13. Oldest daughter Nurie is married to Nathan. Jill is 41 and will be 42 next week on Tuesday.

Amy and Angie are twins and they are born in December the year after Jill.  (They are currently 40 and will be 42 in December.)

Amy got married in 2005. She had 6 children. She was in a car accident that left her quadraplegic. Since the accident, she has stopped having children. 

Angie got married in 2006. She has 9 children. She just her 9th baby earlier this month (10/8). 

Its so interesting that JillR's parents weren't fully engulfed in Fundyism at first. JB's and Michelle's parent weren't Fundy at all. So now we're watching the Noyes third generation come into adulthood and the Duggar/Bates/Keller second generation coming into adulthood. And we have some overlap with third generation Nurie marrying second generation Nathan.

Who knows how this will all play out. Will the Duggar kidults raise future Fundies? Will Nathan and Nurie raise third/fourth generation Fundies?

Or maybe Michelle will blow the whole thing up and start mowing the TTH lawn in a bathing suit.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • LOL 21

The fundie lifestyle just gets more unsustainable as the economy gets worse.Sooner rather than later, they're going to need real education,women working,and fewer children to be able to get by.Like most families do now.

I've always thought future generations won't be as fundie,or not at all.I can imagine the Duggar great or great great grandkids watching the show and laughing at the clothes,hair and old fashioned ways and beliefs they have.I do that to my parents and grandparents now.Their ways were so old fashioned and out of date nowadays.LOL

I mean no disrespect to older generations.I'm 55.Just that their ways and beliefs were so different back then

Edited by sondraK
  • Love 14
9 hours ago, sondraK said:

The fundie lifestyle just gets more unsustainable as the economy gets worse.Sooner rather than later, they're going to need real education,women working,and fewer children to be able to get by.Like most families do now.

I've always thought future generations won't be as fundie,or not at all.I can imagine the Duggar great or great great grandkids watching the show and laughing at the clothes,hair and old fashioned ways and beliefs they have.I do that to my parents and grandparents now.Their ways were so old fashioned and out of date nowadays.LOL

I mean no disrespect to older generations.I'm 55.Just that their ways and beliefs were so different back then

Their model is unsustainable because they don't emphasize the work ethic enough. Amish and Mennonites manage with large families, but they work hard and expect the whole family to work, too. Gothardism seems to emphasize producing huge families and limiting education, but nothing about training the women in homemaking or the men to work hard at the family business. They seem to believe that just having lots of kids is all the work they have to do.

• Love 17
2 hours ago, sleepysuzy said:

Their model is unsustainable because they don't emphasize the work ethic enough. Amish and Mennonites manage with large families, but they work hard and expect the whole family to work, too. Gothardism seems to emphasize producing huge families and limiting education, but nothing about training the women in homemaking or the men to work hard at the family business. They seem to believe that just having lots of kids is all the work they have to do.

Yes,I can't see the Rods ever joining the Amish in Ohio.Jill spends way too much time on makeup alone!

• Love 5
2 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

Free Jinger website is confusing I gave up after 5 minutes 

I gave up on FJ years ago because it descended into cliquishness, bullying, and virtue signaling like so many other forums. Not only did it cease being fun, it became an ordeal. I went back a year or two ago out of curiosity, and I didn't even recognize the site. 

Topic: it's interesting that Amy and Angie both got married "late" by some fundie standards. Maybe they weren't pressured by their parents into marrying young. Ahem. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, Heathen said:

I gave up on FJ years ago because it descended into cliquishness, bullying, and virtue signaling like so many other forums.

Hasn't it always been that way since it was formed?  My earliest memories of it was old timers trying to torture newbies just because they were new and ridiculously clannish behavior by certain cliques.  

I'll probably never know, but I'd like to know who in the Bates clan has had COVID.  It would be interesting to me to see what percentage of them has gotten sick.  Did they even consider changing their behavior after the first person got sick?

Jill Rodrigues still running around as if COVID doesn't exist is revolting.  

• Love 17
15 minutes ago, jacourt said:

I was wondering why Jill would be ib a bookstore. 

Apparently to spread covid to the heathens who read books that aren't the Bible. 

1 hour ago, Absolom said:

Hasn't it always been that way since it was formed?  My earliest memories of it was old timers trying to torture newbies just because they were new and ridiculously clannish behavior by certain cliques.  

I'll probably never know, but I'd like to know who in the Bates clan has had COVID.  It would be interesting to me to see what percentage of them has gotten sick.  Did they even consider changing their behavior after the first person got sick?

The ones who have admitted to having it are Carlin and Evan Stewart and people in his family. Also Erin Bates Paine. No they haven't changed their ways. They are posting pictures of themselves at large family parties, vacations and pretty much carrying on like the pandemic is over. 

• Love 4
50 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

How long until Jill posts about saving someone in the bookstore?

She probably went in to use the bathroom 

I think she was in the coffee shop area. Maybe that's where her big Plexus meeting was.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Heathen said:

I gave up on FJ years ago because it descended into cliquishness, bullying, and virtue signaling like so many other forums. Not only did it cease being fun, it became an ordeal. I went back a year or two ago out of curiosity, and I didn't even recognize the site. 

Topic: it's interesting that Amy and Angie both got married "late" by some fundie standards. Maybe they weren't pressured by their parents into marrying young. Ahem. 

I'm on the site and I like it. I wasn't on years ago, so I have no way to compare. I hop back and forth between here and there. There are a couple of people who get a bit testy, but overall, not so bad. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, Absolom said:

It always was to some extent, but it got really really bad. I'm so sorry, FJers, if some of us don't have time to follow the Duggars and other fundies as closely as you do. FFS. 

I wonder if Jill ever gets her eye makeup completely off. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, Heathen said:

It always was to some extent, but it got really really bad. I'm so sorry, FJers, if some of us don't have time to follow the Duggars and other fundies as closely as you do. FFS. 

I wonder if Jill ever gets her eye makeup completely off. 

I never had anyone treat me poorly, but I try to be nice. 

She probably doesn't take it all off at night. Wasn't it Tammy Faye Bakker who never took off her mascara and just kept glopping it on? 

• Love 3

JRod has a new IG post, and she and Shrek (“my hunk”) are in a gym somewhere, supposedly working out.  She is working out with a skirt on.  In a previous post, David is in a church pulpit speaking to the congregation about his printing business.  He insinuates that it’s a sin to be cremated.  

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

JRod has a new IG post, and she and Shrek (“my hunk”) are in a gym somewhere, supposedly working out.  She is working out with a skirt on.  In a previous post, David is in a church pulpit speaking to the congregation about his printing business.  He insinuates that it’s a sin to be cremated.  

Is there anything thing these two don’t have an opinion on? They are such busybodies.

• Love 24