Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

Kelly could have at least bought a dress with a color complimenting Carlin's color scheme. Or Miz Renee could have taken the ivory lace and dyed it. 

And yes, Jill will outshine Nurie. Probably in her vow renewal dress. 😕

• Love 10
4 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

Yeah but now they've realized you don't need to sew a t-shirt on top of a wedding dress. 😉 If we take when Erin got married and all the fundies and Modest Is Hottest crowd wearing the t-shirt wedding dresses, Erin picks the same style wedding dress again.

If she was getting married today it would probably be different. However I'm guessing Tori, Josie, and Carlin would have ended up with Frakendresses too if UP! was not in the picture. 

Erin's already been hinting for a vow renewal on the show. We'll see soon enough what Erin decides. I debate between a princessy dress or one that out does Carlin. She seemed very annoyed at Carlin getting the better venue, dress, bridal party and more guests then her. I can see her trying really hard to out do Carlin. 

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

I try and block that one out of my mind. Bleh. It's not like the Bates daughters have an expiration date if they aren't set to be married off by 19. Their parents seem to think they do.

Kelly especially. She was all over Brandon to propose to Michaela despite them courting and him saying he was going to propose but was waiting until he finished some class down in Texas and then save up some money. Nothing about him suggested he was about to bolt but Kelly was still all over him like he was. Then did the same thing to Bobby.  It was embarrassing and crazy.  

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

Kelly especially. She was all over Brandon to propose to Michaela despite them courting and him saying he was going to propose but was waiting until he finished some class down in Texas and then save up some money. Nothing about him suggested he was about to bolt but Kelly was still all over him like he was. Then did the same thing to Bobby.  It was embarrassing and crazy.  

This is all true, although both Tori and Michaela were older than 19. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Kelly could have at least bought a dress with a color complimenting Carlin's color scheme. Or Miz Renee could have taken the ivory lace and dyed it. 

And yes, Jill will outshine Nurie. Probably in her vow renewal dress. 😕

Complete with veil and a larger bouquet than Nurie's.  A special gift from her eldest daughter, no doubt.

• LOL 5
  • Love 9
38 minutes ago, Misslindsey said:

If Carlin was fine with Kelly's choice of dress than I do not really care. I actually think Kelly looks nice in that picture, usually I think she dresses more dowdy. 

I agree. Carlin didn’t seem to mind, and I think Kelly looked beautiful. 

I’m a photographer and see this more now than you used to for sure. Some traditions seem to be loosely followed or not followed at all these days. Over the summer, I shot a wedding where the bridesmaids were dressed in a pale beige, similar in color to Kelly’s dress. It was beautiful. The bride stood out still...no one questioned who was the bride. Haha! And no one was overshadowing her or stealing her thunder. 

That being said, I fully expect Jill to upstage Nuri in any way she can!

• Love 12
On 12/21/2019 at 6:45 AM, ginger90 said:

2 pictures:

This picture just freaks me out.  She looks strung out or hung over.  Why do women insist on doing the raccoon eyes thing?  It's not good for your eyes to constantly put eyeliner on the inside of your lids.  And the big question of all, why is it only the kids who buy her flowers and/or gifts?  Why doesn't her husband do that? 

• Love 13
7 minutes ago, skipnjump said:

This picture just freaks me out.  She looks strung out or hung over.  Why do women insist on doing the raccoon eyes thing?  It's not good for your eyes to constantly put eyeliner on the inside of your lids.  And the big question of all, why is it only the kids who buy her flowers and/or gifts?  Why doesn't her husband do that? 

Better yet, why don't we ever hear about Jill and her hubby giving the kids a gift?  Other than taking them out for a cheap meal at a chain restaurant on their birthdays, Jill never seems to think of giving her kids anything.

• Love 18
1 hour ago, Oldernowiser said:

Gabriel looks scared in that forced side hug photo.

Smart kid.

He really does.  In virtually all of the photos and videos Jill posts, one or more of the kids looks terrified.  I wonder why they seem so afraid?  Except I think I know the answer.

• Love 7
14 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Erin's already been hinting for a vow renewal on the show. We'll see soon enough what Erin decides. I debate between a princessy dress or one that out does Carlin. She seemed very annoyed at Carlin getting the better venue, dress, bridal party and more guests then her. I can see her trying really hard to out do Carlin. 

Who said there wasn't any sibling rivalry in the Bates clan? 😀

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Better yet, why don't we ever hear about Jill and her hubby giving the kids a gift?  Other than taking them out for a cheap meal at a chain restaurant on their birthdays, Jill never seems to think of giving her kids anything.

I think Sadie got diapers and wipes for her birthday.And one of them got a piece of pie and another got a cake roll.Poor kids

10 hours ago, doodlebug said:

23 minutes ago, sondraK said:

I think Sadie got diapers and wipes for her birthday.And one of them got a piece of pie and another got a cake roll.Poor kids

They go to a cheap restaurant, and David eats the birthday kid's free meal as well as his own. Any gifts go to Jill. Birthday kid forces a smile for a photo with best mama, so Jill can post about what a wonderful celebration they all had. 

Edited by BradandJanet
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Who said there wasn't any sibling rivalry in the Bates clan? 😀

Love is multiplied, not divided! s/ These big fundy families aren't any happier than the polygamy families. Some of that is because they've built their families based on what someone told them was ordered by their god instead of using their own common sense and wishes. 

• Love 3
57 minutes ago, Nysha said:

Love is multiplied, not divided! s/ These big fundy families aren't any happier than the polygamy families. Some of that is because they've built their families based on what someone told them was ordered by their god instead of using their own common sense and wishes. 

Also, in these fundie families, there's not enough of ANYTHING - food, clothes, space, etc.  And, the only outlet for the natural competitiveness that some kids have is to prove they're better than their siblings.  If they'd been given the opportunity for any kind of outlet (Scouts, sports, 4H), then they would have had the chance to succeed without having to outdo a sibling.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Nysha said:

Also maybe actually reading what your God wants you to do and then applying the common sense He gave you. Yes, children are a blessing from the Lord but you need to be able to care for them.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Also maybe actually reading what your God wants you to do and then applying the common sense He gave you. Yes, children are a blessing from the Lord but you need to be able to care for them.

Agree.Common sense is God given;fundies just don't use it

• Love 3
14 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Jilly gave birth to them and holds it over their heads for their whole life.  Isn't that a gift that keeps on giving?

Erin is the attention seeker of the Bates' clan. She's the golden child and clearly the favorite. Erin was and always will be an over the top fundie princess. That hair, good God...

How things could have played out differently had Erin ended up with a Derick Dillard type versus Chad Paine.

• Love 10

I do not think Erin is the golden child. I may dislike Kelly and Gil, but they do seem like they enjoy and love all their children. The older kids that are nearby are featured more on their show. I think Erin is willing to play along more than some of the rest. I do think Erin is a girly girl, which there is not anything wrong with that. I know it is an unpopular opinion, but I think Erin has changed a fair amount from when she first appeared on whichever Duggar show was on at the time. I hate their views, but I do not think Erin is as princess-y as she once was. No one is more of an attention seeker in that family than Lawson.

• Love 9
On 12/21/2019 at 10:19 PM, Sew Sumi said:

Michael got married on UP and still CHOSE a godawful frankendress. Of course, her bridesmaids dresses were also awful. Both styles. Kelly looked especially bad.

michaella-bates-wedding-10.jpg

Wow, is Brandon wearing his dad's suit?  It is way too big for him.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Someday I will understand why Fundy men refuse to wear a suit that even remotely fits. 

Hand me downs? They may need a bigger one because their wife is going from cooking for 21 to cooking for 2 and isn't sure about adjusting portions yet?

• LOL 2
3 hours ago, DkNNy79 said:

Wow, is Brandon wearing his dad's suit?  It is way too big for him.

Boring old Michaela chose brown as one of her wedding colors. I don't think they even make brown suits in a modern fit.

• Useful 1
13 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

It's not meant to be, but this is kind of sad. 

Screenshot_20191223-141651.png

10 hours ago, PradaKitty said:

Friend?!!!

What am I missing here? I mean, I love to snark, but I think it's sweet to refer to your spouse as a friend and support. That's what I dream about. ("Ask IS anything is what actually struck me, but then again I'm a copy editor!) 😄

• Love 13
4 hours ago, becca3891 said:

What am I missing here? I mean, I love to snark, but I think it's sweet to refer to your spouse as a friend and support. That's what I dream about. ("Ask IS anything is what actually struck me, but then again I'm a copy editor!) 😄

What's missing here for me is the reason Brandon needs praised to the heavens for making coffee.  I don't even DRINK coffee, but I make it for the office or for guests all the time.  Takes 10 minutes, tops. Somehow, I expect that her school obligations don't relieve her of doing all the laundry and cleaning and cooking all the meals.

• Love 13