Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

On 11/9/2018 at 2:26 PM, BradandJanet said:

USDA portion and nutrition guidelines were not covered in JRod's SOTDRT education. If that woman gets anything right, it's a complete accident of chance. 

USDA portions are usually 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup of cooked vegetables and 3-4 ounces of protein. The problem with applying these to a family like the Rodriguezes is that you’re supposed to have multiple portions in a day — at least 3 of protein, 6-11 of grains and starches, and 5-10 of fruits and veggies. Does anyone really think these kids are getting near that much food? These children aren’t just thin, they’re emaciaited. It wouldn’t surprise me if this platter was all the food they got all day. 

Edited by mynextmistake
  • Love 11

A post has since been removed from their Facebook page. It was a picture of two extension cords with like ends matched up. Get the visual? This was used to explain why God didn’t mean for there to be same sex relationships. ? ? 

• Love 6

Wait, God invented extension cords? I mean, He must have if plugs fitting into one another proves something about God's thoughts on anything. Have I offended God-the-extension-cord-creator by leaving the cords to collect dust on the floor? Should burnt offerings be made to beg forgiveness for my sacrilege?

• Love 17
51 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Jill's God also thinks abortion is an abomination and a sin, but, once the kid is born, they're on their own.

Yep, nothing else matters and after the baby is born it doesn't matter anymore either. Jill's certainly not going to look at all the handouts her family received her entire life, helping finishing TTH and all the furniture inside it, everything else since then handed to them as help her family got because her parents couldn't support all their kids. No that's certainly nothing to take notice of and think gee maybe she should give back after all the help she and her family got. She's certainly never going to even consider asking where her family would be if not for all the handouts and later help from TLC. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

Yep, nothing else matters and after the baby is born it doesn't matter anymore either. Jill's certainly not going to look at all the handouts her family received her entire life, helping finishing TTH and all the furniture inside it, everything else since then handed to them as help her family got because her parents couldn't support all their kids. No that's certainly nothing to take notice of and think gee maybe she should give back after all the help she and her family got. She's certainly never going to even consider asking where her family would be if not for all the handouts and later help from TLC. 

Wrong Jill, actually. This "two electrical plugs don't fit together and thus homosexuality is an abomination" post was a Rodrigui production. But since they all think pretty much the same thing, it doesn't matter. 

• Love 12
6 hours ago, ginger90 said:

A post has since been removed from their Facebook page. It was a picture of two extension cords with like ends matched up. Get the visual? This was used to explain why God didn’t mean for there to be same sex relationships. ? ? 

Are you sure it wasn’t just Jill’s attempt at a homeschool lesson on electrical circuitry? “Mama, I don’t think it works like tha...” “shut up, Nurie. Bring me my Plexus and go land a man.”

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, floridamom said:

Looks like she had him in a hospital.

A Catholic hospital! ?

Just now, Heathen said:

The baby looks to be a good size, Tori looks happy, and her husband looks more like Randy Travis than ever. 

6 lb. 1oz./18"

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Temperance said:

So officially there are no pregnant Duggars now and no pregnant Bates.... 

Wow!!  I can’t remember the last time that happened!  They must remedy that immediately!  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Rabbittron said:

If this is true then Chicken Little was right the sky is falling.

3 minutes ago, awaken said:

Wow!!  I can’t remember the last time that happened!  They must remedy that immediately!  

Well I said officially since none of them have admitted/announced they're pregnant. It's highly possible somebody/more than one person/everyone is and hasn't announced yet for any number of reasons. 

• Love 15
2 minutes ago, Temperance said:

Well I said officially since none of them have admitted/announced they're pregnant. It's highly possible somebody/more than one person/everyone is and hasn't announced yet for any number of reasons. 

For sure. 

Ok, Anna, Lauren, Jill, Jessa, Joy, and Kendra- you can go ahead and announce!  And you next, Abbie, once you’re home from the honeymoon!  

• Love 11

He's Robert the fourth, and Fourth = Quad =Quade = Kade. 

That's a big stretch. Why not just name the kid Kade and be done with it? (Rhetorical questions here. I know fundies and logic are not acquainted.) 

• Love 8
9 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Tori had her baby, apparently a couple weeks early, if I'm remembering a Thanksgiving due date. eta the People link that UP failed to put in their profile. https://people.com/tv/tori-bates-bobby-smith-welcome-first-child/

How do these Bates girls look so amazing while STILL in the hospital? Is it a youth thing? I looked AWFUL, like death warmed over even after I showered and tried to put some makeup on for visitors.  Broken blood vessels in my face, pale AF from blood loss, just terrible.

She looks great. Baby is really cute too. 

• Love 18
3 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Quade? LMAO.

Quayde. Quaid. Kayed. So many possibilities other than, you know, the kid's real name. Surely they could call him Robbie or a derivative of his middle name instead of this illogical nonsense. 

• Love 5
13 hours ago, SongbirdHollow said:

Carson = Charles’s son

Except, not really.  It seems to me like they really don't want to give their kids the family names.  So don't.  Twisting logic into knots to justify giving your kid a name you like better than the designated family name is just dumb, IMO.   Start a new tradition, dopes.

• Love 16
14 hours ago, Heathen said:

That's a big stretch. Why not just name the kid Kade and be done with it? (Rhetorical questions here. I know fundies and logic are not acquainted.) 

For some reason the kid being legally "IV" is a big deal. They're not old money or some sort of aristocrats so I don't get why they are pushing through with the "tradition".

• Love 6
3 hours ago, SongbirdHollow said:

Eh. I think nicknames are fun and they certainly help distinguish between people with the same name. 

But Carson and Kade are not really nicknames for Charles and Robert.  The parents did all sorts of contortions to explain how they were derived from the original names, but they are still not nicknames; they're alternate first names being used instead of the actual given name.

My dad was one of 7 kids and they were most all named after various family and friends which results in them all being given nicknames or using their middle names.  Of his 3 sisters, only one went by her given name because, as she put it, " I was named after the dead sister"-my grandfather had a sister who died as a teen and she named after her.  The other two had cute family nicknames unrelated to their actual name; one of my aunts was called 'Bunny' because she was born on Easter. Of my dad and his 3 brothers, two used their middle names, two had nicknames that were unrelated to their given names.  My dad, named after his uncle, never used his first name; always went by his middle name; he eventually stopped using his first name altogether, getting his middle name on his driver's license etc.  He was strongly opposed to naming my brother Junior because of all the confusion over names in his own family.  Even when my mom wanted to use his real first name, the one he never used, he absolutely objected and my brother got his own name.

• Love 12
18 hours ago, Heathen said:

I agree, but I can see why Tori might have felt pressured to name him the IV.  Personally, I think that if you have your heart set on a certain name, then you need to name your child that name.   But, when Kade grows up he can choose to go back to his legal name unlike a lot of other uniquely named children.  

• Love 3

My grandmother was big into naming children one name and calling them by either their middle name or a completely different name. Of the three kids who didn't go by their legal first names as children, one continued using her middle name, one reverted to her first name, and one had his name legally changed to his"nickname". My youngest goes by his middle name with friends & family and by his first name with doctors and others, it doesn't seem too confusing for him. I'm sure Kade and Carson will survive and end up with their own Quinn and Carter.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I agree, but I can see why Tori might have felt pressured to name him the IV.  Personally, I think that if you have your heart set on a certain name, then you need to name your child that name.   But, when Kade grows up he can choose to go back to his legal name unlike a lot of other uniquely named children.  

Yeah pressure as in my headship said we're naming him Robert the IV.   I think I'd rather have a nickname that people won't mix up with other people. For example,  I'm glad they're not calling him Bob as his father goes by Bobby.  In my family, it's tradition to pass the names down, but it gets confusing. I know several guys who are the third and go by Trip/p.  Tripp as a nickname for the third is very normal to me and so I can't side eye Kade that much.  People are never sure what to do with fourth. On Archer, a character who was the fourth went by IV (ivy). 

On the subject of unique names, fewer and fewer people are using the most popular names and names are getting more distinctive, diverse and interesting. I think Kade is a fine nickname that wouldn't get much flack, but then I know a few Caden/Kadens.  In the south, going by a nickname is more traditional and several of the Bates family members go by their middle names. 

• Love 5

My boss's name is Robert Jeffrey, but he goes by Jeff. I always know it's telemarketer or junk mail when anyone asks for Robert or the mail is addressed to his legal name. Makes weeding thru the crap a whole lot easier though. My favorite is when I get 2 sets of the same junk mail, one addressed to Robert, and one addressed to Jeffrey. Or when I hit the trifecta and get three sets, 2 for him, and the third addressed to the previous owner of the business. So.Much.Junk.Mail. 

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, Catfin said:

I’m in Spokane a few days for work, and google tells me I’m six miles from Moody Bible Institute and Jill’s Timothy.  I’ve been keeping my eyes open, but doubt our paths will cross. 

Welcome! I live in Spokane and I found the whole Rod family at Faith Baptist Church on Euclid Ave. when they were here in August. I think the church has a Wednesday evening service if you want to check it out - Timothy may be there! Otherwise I think his classes are at Moody Aviation at Felts Field Airport. Ha ha, I haven’t run across just him... yet! 

• Love 4

Yeah pressure as in my headship said we're naming him Robert the IV.   I think I'd rather have a nickname that people won't mix up with other people. For example,  I'm glad they're not calling him Bob as his father goes by Bobby.  In my family, it's tradition to pass the names down, but it gets confusing. I know several guys who are the third and go by Trip/p.  Tripp as a nickname for the third is very normal to me and so I can't side eye Kade that much.  People are never sure what to do with fourth. On Archer, a character who was the fourth went by IV (ivy). 

On the subject of unique names, fewer and fewer people are using the most popular names and names are getting more distinctive, diverse and interesting. I think Kade is a fine nickname that wouldn't get much flack, but then I know a few Caden/Kadens.  In the south, going by a nickname is more traditional and several of the Bates family members go by their middle names. 

My uncle is a junior and he's known to everyone as Deuce.  My niece's brother in law is named Norman Dean and he's named after the 5 generations of men behind him (I think he's the 6th) and he's always been known as BJ.  There is no B nor a J in any of his names but that's when everyone calls him.  

Nicknames can be weird.  

Edited by Talky Tina
I hate unnecessary apostrophes.
  • Love 10

YIKES!!!!  What the...I mean who is that?!  Is that the Jill Rodriguez I keep reading about here?  I thought Olive Oyl had tarted herself up and popped out of the page.

I've read some interesting things about her here, I think I'm going to have to dig a bit deeper now. She's talking about her son?  She's somethin' ain't she?

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, Talky Tina said:

YIKES!!!!  What the...I mean who is that?!  Is that the Jill Rodriguez I keep reading about here?  I thought Olive Oyl had tarted herself up and popped out of the page.

I've read some interesting things about her here, I think I'm going to have to dig a bit deeper now. She's talking about her son?  She's somethin' ain't she?

Get ready to fall down a  (horrifying) rabbit hole...

• Love 21
9 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

Get ready to fall down a  (horrifying) rabbit hole...

Be prepared to see emaciated children dressed and groomed like they're on the Grand Ole Opry, and their headship and his enormous gut. 

• Love 15
1 hour ago, tabloidlover said:

19585A59-BDAB-4338-9601-171A40C614C9.jpeg

60F5B6B1-A9BC-45AC-B6D6-00F1A7528CAA.jpeg

“He is paying his own way through Bible college and has to be VERY careful with his money to be able to pay all his bills. YET, he saved and scraped together enough money to do this for me. ? It just blessed me SO much that the tears flowed! ?”

Huh?

“Timothy, God is going to DEEPLY bless your life, because you have greatly honored us- your parents.“

?

• Love 10