Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

(edited)
6 minutes ago, mynextmistake said:

Isn’t Nurie 19 or 20? Isn’t that kind of old for Camp? 

Maybe it's another form of Christian Mingle? Nurie has been on the "needs to get married block" for a good year now. Maybe she will meet a nice Christian boy that will not only give her gum but will stick around longer than one visit. lol

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 8

Timothy, who is headed to 5 years of Moody college for like 150,000 has spent since June VOLUNTEERING at camp - not working for money.  And it also seems whatever happened to his car that he used for his *cough* landscaping work *cough* got fixed because they are taking it to Washington. The other 4 oldest were also volunteering at camp - read NOT WORKING, and Nurie is a counselor - help all those kids at that camp.  

Janessa at 3 months is trying to say Mama - rolls eyes, dear God Jill, just stop.

David's mom is priceless.  She is wearing sleeveless blouses, jeans and shorts and I swear every photo of her she has this expression of WTF has this woman been drinking?

Jill and David got a "group price" at an amusement park due to the size of their family as a reward for the kids for all the work they did on a huge printing project.  Um, I thought David was running the printing biz?  Anyway one of the older girls is shown on a ride BAREFOOT!  WTF?? No park is going to allow that - insurance, risk of accident, health code violations, etc - seriously?????   Jill you really are an idiot.  Meanwhile I'm trying to figure out how they are fitting 15 people in the stink bus, the tow behind car from the go to you fund me that packs the instruments and I'm guessing the mics and sound board, etc, and then Timothy's personal belongings, bedding, his dresser and desk in his car.  Um, WTF???  Please post a pic of this Jill, I'm sure CPS would be thrilled at it.  

• Love 10

I think Kaylee is very pretty and so is Nurie when her hair is in a braid and off her face. Samuel is also good looking but would look better with another 10-15 lbs, as would Timothy. 

Looking at the pictures with the little girls playing in their dresses while climbing on playground equipment, running through the Slip 'n Slide, and swimming in the pool just makes me shake my head at the uselessness of their self-imposed rules. They look so awkward and sloppy, one little girl's skirt is halfway down her rear end as she's climbing up the slide. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, McManda said:

I'm sorry, but what the fuck?

The song is called These Are The Hands and they sung it March 4th, 2018.  I did search her blog, Facebook, and utube to no avail.  Maybe she took it down.  It was priceless in a horrific way.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, louannems said:

The song is called These Are The Hands and they sung it March 4th, 2018.  I did search her blog, Facebook, and utube to no avail.  Maybe she took it down.  It was priceless in a horrific way.

It sounds positively horrifying. Jill really has a pair of brass balls, doesn't she?

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Fuzzysox said:

Poor dear! I'd be horrified if my mom gave me that if I was a teenage boy.

Things I wonder about, how the hell do they have money for camp? 

It's this new thing called  "GoToFundMe"   

• Love 7

For $12 bucks, you can hear it on their latest living room CD.  But then you won't have the viewing pleasure of the children's hand motions mimicking Poor Amy's hands.

I wish I could find it!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, louannems said:

Sadly, it's true!  On a video of the family singing it,  the children (instructed by Jill) "twitched" their arms in the uncontrollable movements of a quad.

That fucking ableist bitch. I want to slap her 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, lascuba said:

I've been biting my tongue because it's such an awful thing to think, but fuck it--I think Jill is seriously disappointed that Janessa is doing so well and doesn't appear to be visibly disabled. I think she built up a whole narrative for herself as the loving mother who chose to bring a seriously sick and disabled child into the world because Jesus blah blah blah, and saw the possibility of finally getting the fame and money she's been angling for for years. Since that plan isn't going to work, she's now going for the genius baby that's defying the odds and is proving all those heathen doctors wrong. 

I have thought this from the beginning. I truly believe she uses all her children as grifting tools and look!  Bonus disabilities!  I believe she keeps her children emaciated for the same reason. Healthy looking happy children don’t t inspire love offerings as well the scarecrows she parades from church to church. She is a horrible horrible person and if I knew how to get those children away and into a safe environment I would do it in a heartbeat. 

• Love 13
3 hours ago, Fuzzysox said:

Maybe it's another form of Christian Mingle? Nurie has been on the "needs to get married block" for a good year now. Maybe she will meet a nice Christian boy that will not only give her gum but will stick around longer than one visit. lol

Oh right, the gum boy! I really thought those two crazy kids would make it.

Nurie’s not unattractive and she’s well indoctrinated, and the poor girl is probably so desperate to get out of sleeping on the floor of the sketchy family RV that she’d take virtually any offer she receives. I’m surprised no fundie boy has taken the bait. I guess the Rodriguez reputation really does precede them.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, DragonFaerie said:

Jill and David got a "group price" at an amusement park due to the size of their family as a reward for the kids for all the work they did on a huge printing project.  Um, I thought David was running the printing biz?  Anyway one of the older girls is shown on a ride BAREFOOT!  WTF?? No park is going to allow that - insurance, risk of accident, health code violations, etc - seriously?????   Jill you really are an idiot.  

I have had season passes to Six Flags for several years and on certain rides people with flip flops (or unsecure sandal type shoes) will ride barefoot. If there is a way the shoe could fall off, it's better to keep the flip flops at the platform rather than having them fall where they can't be recovered. 

Having said that, it always skeeves me out when I see folks barefoot getting on the ride. Ew.

• Love 14
10 hours ago, Fuzzysox said:

I fully maintain that the parents' behavior cost Nurie her suitor, who wasn't expecting his interest to be made into a public spectacle, nor to go through the interrogation.

Also, I think at this point with the "camp volunteer" information added in, if Timothy stays in school, we pretty much have to come to the conclusion that the Rods filed a FAFSA and are just keeping their mouths shut about it because gubmint handouts.  

• Love 15
54 minutes ago, queenanne said:

I fully maintain that the parents' behavior cost Nurie her suitor, who wasn't expecting his interest to be made into a public spectacle, nor to go through the interrogation.

Also, I think at this point with the "camp volunteer" information added in, if Timothy stays in school, we pretty much have to come to the conclusion that the Rods filed a FAFSA and are just keeping their mouths shut about it because gubmint handouts.  

Filed a what? Could you fill an Aussie in on what that means

• Love 3

FAFSA = Free Application for Student Aid. It’s basically the govt form every student needs to fill out to get any federal student aid.  You have to list your tax info as well as your parents. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

I’m sure Timothy is getting Pell grants and sub and unsub loans.  These hypocrites would never not take free money, but they’ll act like they didn’t since it’s the gubmint.  His expected family contribution has to be like -$5000.

Yeah, I think it’s perfectly logical that, knowing next to nothing about college admissions or working for a living, Jill has no idea what (a), general costs would be; or (b), a realistic salary for a part-time 18/19 year old, and thinks that everyone is thus equally credulous.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, mynextmistake said:

Nurie’s not unattractive and she’s well indoctrinated, and the poor girl is probably so desperate to get out of sleeping on the floor of the sketchy family RV that she’d take virtually any offer she receives. I’m surprised no fundie boy has taken the bait. I guess the Rodriguez reputation really does precede them.

She would look so much better with less (and better make  up) and a nice hair cut and style. 

• Love 6
(edited)
14 hours ago, mynextmistake said:

Oh right, the gum boy! I really thought those two crazy kids would make it.

I don't get the sense Nuri is desparate to get away from her family.  I think she would really liked to be married, because that is the next step in her life according to their culture and getting married gives you a certain status. However I think she's happy enough with her family and her mother. A lot like Jill Duggar in this respect. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 4
23 hours ago, irisheyes said:

FAFSA = Free Application for Student Aid. It’s basically the govt form every student needs to fill out to get any federal student aid.  You have to list your tax info as well as your parents. 

Thank You! 

Does that mean that depending on declared income, they study at a reduced cost?

34 minutes ago, Totally said:

Thank You! 

If it's the same as here in Canada, no. If your parents make more money they will give you a smaller loan and you (and your parents) will have to make up the difference. 

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, Totally said:

Thank You! 

Not to go too deep into the woods here, but although there may be some grants available, it's more likely to set them up to take out student loans. I will discuss that in a post in Small Talk so as not to get too off topic here.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Totally said:

Thank You! 

It determines the amount of grant aid that one receives (the school pays, a la what we used to call "scholarships"); versus the amount of loan aid (student and/or parents borrow, and are responsible for paying back).  If the parents inform that they, for example, own their house free and clear of any mortgage and are looking to send one child to school; that set of parents can more or less forget about receiving any grant aid; and would be lucky to get loans and/or work study approved for said child.  Because the government "expects" that the parents would mortgage said house to send their child to school, the house being an asset they own free and clear.  (Obviously, the parents don't "have to" mortgage it; but then their kid's probably going to a very inexpensive and/or unaccredited college.)  The more children you have, the more children you are thus "expected" to send to school overall, so the costlier a proposition it will be for you.  Plus, the less money you declare on your federal income taxes as your gross income, the less money the government agrees you can pay out of your pocket; and the more likely they will be to weight the proportion of your package towards giving you grants, versus giving you loans.  Hence the assumption that the Rodrigues family would be asked to pay pennies, because they have oodles of kids to put through school, and who knows how little money David gets paid for his tract-printing boondoggle.

It is pretty ironic overall, because of course the federal government doesn't "own" the schools, and if School A wants to give you more grant aid than School B, School A is of course free to do so. Within the past few years, for example, some (all?) Ivy League universities like Harvard and Yale, determined that they were going to make up more of the shortfall for their students in grant aid, from their enormous endowments (money donated after graduation by its grateful graduates.  The aforementioned schools have got millions, if not billions, because IIRC they invest the endowment in stocks and bonds, and it doesn't just sit around doing nothing). 

Theoretically, the school is then supposed to pay for all your "need"; a/k/a "the difference between what the FAFSA says the parents can pay per year to send a kid to school; versus the cost of a full year package including tuition, housing, food, books, etc."  In actuality, sometimes the school thumbs its nose at the government's formulation.  I'll specifically call out New York University here, who back in the day offered me basically $6,000, all of it in loans and work-study; when the government was saying I should've gotten $12,000: $6,000 of that supposed to come from grant money out of NYU's pocket.  I still don't know how they were able under the system to get away with offering me a package that didn't even meet my "need amount", but you don't have to tell me twice.  I went to a school that was offering $12,000/year to me in grants alone, plus student loans as extra; and give generously to them when the alumni drive comes around.

• Love 6

Jill Rodrigues live streamed video from a funeral for 3 children. I didn’t watch, and I’m not including it here. I just don’t get it, and people are leaving comments, all thanking her for doing it.

AC65A228-12BF-4D09-A8D9-4B6EC3D87CBC.jpeg

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Jill Rodrigues live streamed video from a funeral for 3 children. I didn’t watch, and I’m not including it here. I just don’t get it, and people are leaving comments, all thanking her for doing it.

AC65A228-12BF-4D09-A8D9-4B6EC3D87CBC.jpeg

I listened to the opening choir and the congregation hymn.  JillRod has to sing much louder than anyone else, in a super high pitched"harmony".  She whoops during and after the choir song lke she's attending a concert.  She yells "Ahmen!!!" when everyone else is quiet. 

She attended this family's funeral and as far as I know, she doesn't even know them!  It was a horrific story she read in Facebook.

I'm not her Facebook friend, so I can't see it, but evidently she took a selfie, along with her eldest daughters, with the dead three children's coffins in the background, and they are all SMILING! 

She evidently received lots of backlash from her Facebook friends about her inappropriate behavior and of course, Jill deleted all of the negativity.

• Love 23
1 minute ago, louannems said:

I'm not her Facebook friend, so I can't see it, but evidently she took a selfie, along with her eldest daughters, with the dead three children's coffins in the background, and they are all SMILING! 

She evidently received lots of backlash from her Facebook friends about her inappropriate behavior and of course, Jill deleted all of the negativity.

I’m not either, I can just see public posts. Selfies......omg. I wonder if she left the pictures up,  and just deleted the comments. I guess her “friends” list will decrease.

This woman is nuts.

2 minutes ago, zoomama said:

i have an online friend that personally knows this family that lost their babies in the fire. i cannot fathom crashing a funeral!

According to Jill, God orchestrated it so they could be there. 

Nuts.

It is such a tragedy, and along comes Jill.

I have to say, the service was broadcast on television. I still think Jill had no right to stream it.

• Love 20

I have no words for Jill. I will not call her a woman nor a mother. Her Facebook page bills itself as a family serving god? Lying is a sin Jill, take it down. You serve yourself.  

• Love 18
1 hour ago, louannems said:

I listened to the opening choir and the congregation hymn.  JillRod has to sing much louder than anyone else, in a super high pitched"harmony".  She whoops during and after the choir song lke she's attending a concert.  She yells "Ahmen!!!" when everyone else is quiet. 

She attended this family's funeral and as far as I know, she doesn't even know them!  It was a horrific story she read in Facebook.

I'm just.......speechless.  

• Love 20
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

I have to say, the service was broadcast on television. I still think Jill had no right to stream it.

I am assuming then, that the family gave the station the rights to broadcast the funeral? I hope the station goes after Jill for the livestream. Aside from having no moral or ethical right to broadcast the funeral on Facebook, it seems she would also have no legal rights to broadcast it. 

• Love 17
On 7/28/2018 at 11:51 AM, queenanne said:

It determines the amount of grant aid that one receives (the school pays, a la what we used to call "scholarships"); versus the amount of loan aid (student and/or parents borrow, and are responsible for paying back).  If the parents inform that they, for example, own their house free and clear of any mortgage and are looking to send one child to school; that set of parents can more or less forget about receiving any grant aid; and would be lucky to get loans and/or work study approved for said child.  Because the government "expects" that the parents would mortgage said house to send their child to school, the house being an asset they own free and clear.  (Obviously, the parents don't "have to" mortgage it; but then their kid's probably going to a very inexpensive and/or unaccredited college.)  The more children you have, the more children you are thus "expected" to send to school overall, so the costlier a proposition it will be for you.  Plus, the less money you declare on your federal income taxes as your gross income, the less money the government agrees you can pay out of your pocket; and the more likely they will be to weight the proportion of your package towards giving you grants, versus giving you loans.  Hence the assumption that the Rodrigues family would be asked to pay pennies, because they have oodles of kids to put through school, and who knows how little money David gets paid for his tract-printing boondoggle.

It is pretty ironic overall, because of course the federal government doesn't "own" the schools, and if School A wants to give you more grant aid than School B, School A is of course free to do so. Within the past few years, for example, some (all?) Ivy League universities like Harvard and Yale, determined that they were going to make up more of the shortfall for their students in grant aid, from their enormous endowments (money donated after graduation by its grateful graduates.  The aforementioned schools have got millions, if not billions, because IIRC they invest the endowment in stocks and bonds, and it doesn't just sit around doing nothing). 

Theoretically, the school is then supposed to pay for all your "need"; a/k/a "the difference between what the FAFSA says the parents can pay per year to send a kid to school; versus the cost of a full year package including tuition, housing, food, books, etc."  In actuality, sometimes the school thumbs its nose at the government's formulation.  I'll specifically call out New York University here, who back in the day offered me basically $6,000, all of it in loans and work-study; when the government was saying I should've gotten $12,000: $6,000 of that supposed to come from grant money out of NYU's pocket.  I still don't know how they were able under the system to get away with offering me a package that didn't even meet my "need amount", but you don't have to tell me twice.  I went to a school that was offering $12,000/year to me in grants alone, plus student loans as extra; and give generously to them when the alumni drive comes around.

I wish I could find the endowment for Moody., there's nothing on their website. Either Timothy is going to be saddled with a bunch of high interest federal loans, or Moody is giving him grants. It's a small school, so I can't imagine their endowment is that great.  He certainly would qualify for a full ride as he's probably the only one in the class with 12 siblings.  I don't read Jill's posts. Has she posted her worries about the tuition?

You are so right about the Ivies having so much money. My granddaughter is fortunate enough to go to one of the Ivies on a bunch of grants. Since my son is a single parent with another child in college, her tuition is less than the local community college.  This summer she received a grant for an internship in D.C. It covers all of her expenses. 

She has a friend who comes from a single parent home and that parent is disabled. They truly have nothing. The school is paying her tuition, room and board, books and medical ins. She also gets a stipend for spending money. That's where endowment money should go.

With parents like Jill and David, it's amazing to me that these kids look happy and well adjusted. I hope Timothy does well.

• Love 6
On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 6:11 PM, kokapetl said:

Well, someone’s been watching Ellen

What is the propensity for black, white, beige, and gray these days? I mean, i guess they won't go out of style like avocado green or rust, but gosh, they're a downer.

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 7:54 PM, Triple P said:

Prissy and TFDW are expecting a girl. If they stay on theme, I think this one will be called Davida.

All I can think of with that name is Inna Gadda-da-Vida. (Which somehow Bart got onto the playlist that Sunday.)

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 7:04 PM, Sew Sumi said:

I can't understand a word of this. What is it with these fundies making their kids recite shit that they don't have a clue of understanding? I guess props to the Wallers since Davia didn't need any prompting, unlike poor Izzy.

Psalm 34. Are you guys all gonna disown me for recognizing that? I still think it's crazy to get them to memorize this young. Unless it's in a fun song, that i can get behind.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, toodles said:

I'm just.......speechless.  

Indeed. I'm just reading/hearing about this for the first time, so have no sense of whether some of it has been exaggerated (to be fair, sometimes things  get blown just a mite out of proportion here and once I check them out they don't seem all that heinous), but if there is any fraction of truth in all this, it's still way, way beyond the pale of acceptable behavior. Actions like these deserves some huge sort of public humiliation.

• Love 13
(edited)
6 minutes ago, zoomama said:

i checked their fb and could not find the selfie in front of the caskets. maybe she removed it? 

Supposedly it was set to private, so only their "friends" can see it. According to FJ moles, she did eventually take it down.

Edited by dargosmydaddy
  • Love 2
34 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Indeed. I'm just reading/hearing about this for the first time, so have no sense of whether some of it has been exaggerated (to be fair, sometimes things  get blown just a mite out of proportion here and once I check them out they don't seem all that heinous), but if there is any fraction of truth in all this, it's still way, way beyond the pale of acceptable behavior. Actions like these deserves some huge sort of public humiliation.

The only part I can say for sure is, Jill Rodrigues attended a funeral for 3 children. She did not know this family prior to the fire. While at the service, Jill live streamed it, as she herself recorded it.

I have seen comments elsewhere about the selfies.

• Love 4

Nothing she does surprises me anymore.  She made her battered daughter smile for a selfie while in the emergency room after a car accident, so we know she has no moral compass.

The only thing that surprises me is that she has fans and people stupid enough to contribute to their grifting ways.  Until those people smarten up and cut them off they are never going to change their ways.

• Love 15

As far as Tim’s grant status goes, he may have twelve siblings, but only four of them will ever need money to go to college/Universitiy. The other eight will have no chance of higher education. And I can’t imagine the size of Jill’s balls to be able to crash the funeral of strangers. She was probably hoping there’d be food afterwards. 

• Love 9

I saw JRod's funeral post this morning. It was tacky as all get out. I had no idea she didn't even know the family (I tend to only skim her over capitalized, emoji filled posts rather than read the whole thing)- that makes it even tackier. 

I was looking at her blog post about their amusement park trip and all the pictures she took on the rides, even a roller coaster. I live close to one of the bigger amusement parks, and there has been a huge deal about banning phones even in line because idiots like Jill have their phones out on the ride itself, which puts the people around them in danger if the phone would get forced out of the riders hand. Of course, she wouldn't think of that. It's just something that stuck out to me since it has been on the radar close to home.

• Love 4
On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 2:40 PM, ginger90 said:

Just putting parts of the post here.  

Sad, yet Happy Days for the Rodrigues Family! July 2018

Posted on July 26, 2018 by Rodrigues Family

Well, it is SAD because with heavy hearts we emptied our house of ALL of Timothy’s stuff.  We gazed at his EMPTY bed, his EMPTY space where his dresser sat, all the airplanes hanging around his room – GONE, his desk – GONE.  It all seems so final, so empty, so lonely, as we jam pack our car, his car, and our RV with his stuff and begin our trek West to drop him off to college.  YET, they are HAPPY because they are days that hold possibilities, dreams, and watching Timothy literally SOAR for Jesus!

Timothy (who is not typically sentimental) walked around the house, just gazing, looking, taking it all in.  He then came to me and said, “Mama, it’s sad because I don’t know how LONG it will be before I can come home again and see the house.”  It was then I caught a tear forming in each eye.  I rushed to him in a warm embrace and we both cried. “Oh, Bud, it seems I JUST gave birth to you in New York City.  I remember Daddy (who was not allowed to stay overnight in that NYC hospital) telling YOU (my little man) to watch over me.  Now, you really ARE a man – all grown and flying the nest!”  More tears.  More hugs.

Please pray for our son Timothy.  He is determined.  He is one of the HARDEST workers I have ever met.  He is passionate for Jesus.  He has a LOT on his plate for the next 5 years of his missionary aviation college program and we pray for him to run this race well.  It will NOT be easy as he strives to work and pay his way through college – trying to avoid student loans and debt.  We are honored by him and we will deeply miss him!!

The below posts are things that we did leading up to our trip West.  They are days we TRULY cherished as our LAST with our house being “complete” with all of our children surrounding us.  This is WHY we have them….to send them out once they are grown to “hit their mark” in serving Jesus in the capacity He calls them to.  However, to say goodbye is never easy.  sniff, sniff

Enjoy the below posts and pics.     With Love,  Dave and Jill Rodrigues  (and 13 children)

.........…

WOW, it sure has been an extra busy week for me here on the homefront…yet, I have enjoyed spending extra time with my littles.  

Today is a VERY special day!  ALL of my oldest 5 children are coming home from camp! It has been WEEKS that we have all been together for an extended period of time due to Timothy (since the beginning of June) and then the other oldest 4 this week being all gone at Christian Camp.  I am thrilled they got to go and learn about and serve Jesus! However, I look forward to these last few weeks being ALL together as a family before we drop Timothy off out West for Missionary Aviation College.  

I have to say though, this week with the oldest 5 being gone, it gave me LOTS of quality time to spend special time with my smaller children. 

It strikes me that Jill has such a melodramatic imagination and is great at using such over-the-top flowery language, that she might actually write a very sellable Christian romance novel. It would be truly terrible writing, but thousands upon thousands of readers would probably lap it up. . . 

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, LilJen said:

It strikes me that Jill has such a melodramatic imagination and is great at using such over-the-top flowery language, that she might actually write a very sellable Christian romance novel. It would be truly terrible writing, but thousands upon thousands of readers would probably lap it up. . . 

50 Shades of Grey for the bible-thumper crowd. 

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, LilJen said:

Well, she would have to SELF-publish, as no respecting EDITOR would want to take on the task of reining in HER inappropriate capitals... other than that, you might be onto something!

• Love 10

The thing about Jill's writing that has bothered me the most, even though there is a lot atrocious about it, is her penchant for "(smile)". I've read some of Perry Smith's letters (he was one of the killers in In Cold Blood), and he did that constantly in his writing, even back in the 1960s. Like Jill, he would also add it in odd places, which made whatever is being described sound deeply unsettling. It's downright eerie. So, every time I read her writing and come across that, I always think of him and shudder involuntarily. 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Zella said:

The thing about Jill's writing that has bothered me the most, even though there is a lot atrocious about it, is her penchant for "(smile)". I've read some of Perry Smith's letters (he was one of the killers in In Cold Blood), and he did that constantly in his writing, even back in the 1960s. Like Jill, he would also add it in odd places, which made whatever is being described sound deeply unsettling. It's downright eerie. So, every time I read her writing and come across that, I always think of him and shudder involuntarily. 

I have seen that when communicating with deaf patients via TTY. I’m not sure why. It is startling. 

• Love 1
(edited)
3 minutes ago, latetotheparty said:

I have seen that when communicating with deaf patients via TTY. I’m not sure why. It is startling. 

I can see where it would make sense in that context.

When I was reading Perry's letters, I kept thinking, "Did he invent the emoticon?" Actually, I'll give him a slight pass since he's writing before computers. Have no idea why she doesn't just use emoticons!

Edited by Zella
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Zella said:

I can see where it would make sense in that context.

When I was reading Perry's letters, I kept thinking, "Did he invent the emoticon?" Actually, I'll give him a slight pass since he's writing before computers. Have no idea why she doesn't just use emoticons!

After I posted I was thinking it probably has something to do with the difference between sign language and signed English. 

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, latetotheparty said:

After I posted I was thinking it probably has something to do with the difference between sign language and signed English. 

That makes sense!