Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, ginger90 said:

I don’t think she hit 40 yet.

5 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I believe she's 39, and Chimpy is about 9 years older. 

I'll be 40 in 22 days. You mean to tell me she's about my age??? I thought she was way older! Of course, I just got carded today when I bought wine!

• Love 5
On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 6:11 PM, GeeGolly said:

No shame. JillR has no shame. She's giving birth to her 12th or 13th child. A child who may be born with special needs. And she is grifting for comforters, clothes and perfume. A shower for the zillionth child is ridiculous and asking for personal gifts is shameless. Seeing those pictures actually made me squirm in embarrassment for her. 

Someone needs to donate to Planned Parenthood or GLAAD or PFLAG in her name.

How about donating to a food bank, to hopefully provide food for other children of gluttonous, selfish fathers.

13 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Still plugging to find a buyer for Nurie, I see...

On another matter, while skimming through the post, my mind didn't register one of the commas in the list of wonderful things Nurie had done, and I ended up puzzling for some time over just what a devotional game would entail. And even after I realized my mistake I kept wondering whether they do, in fact, have such things and picturing them in my mind...

Oh, I'm sure there are many scintillating bible games out there.  In a motel in Arkansas once, the only show I could find on TV was a bible quiz.  I like trivia shows, but it was horrific.  They were all middle-school looking, monotone little zombies.  And no Duggars among them.

• Love 4
On 1/10/2018 at 9:43 AM, Jynnan tonnix said:

Still plugging to find a buyer for Nurie, I see...

On another matter, while skimming through the post, my mind didn't register one of the commas in the list of wonderful things Nurie had done, and I ended up puzzling for some time over just what a devotional game would entail. And even after I realized my mistake I kept wondering whether they do, in fact, have such things and picturing them in my mind...

ETA to remove link

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 9
17 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I believe she's 39, and Chimpy is about 9 years older. 

NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I truly thought she was pushing 50 and this was a menopause surprise baby.  

WHAT?????????????????/

• Love 4
3 hours ago, queenanne said:

Wonder no longer!

https://www.christiantoday.com/article/15-christian-board-games-you-wont-believe-actually-exist/75801.htm

(BTW, I've actually got a secular candidate for "Bible or Not"!)

When I was in college, I was on a retreat and my friends and I ended up playing Bible Pictionary with some seminary students and one priest in his early 30s. When, it was my turn, the category was  “biblical animals” and of course I had to draw “cock”. That was an actual card. I’m a terrible artist so I drew an awful rooster head. At the same time, the seminary student partnered with the priest drew an anatomically correct stick figure. He was an excellent artist and the drawing was, um, much more detailed. My partner immediately realized what I was trying to draw and yelled out “cock” at the same time the priest yelled out “penis”. The seminary student started giving the priest a hard time (no pun intended) for guessing incorrectly. They began arguing and the priest kept yelling, “Well, at least I got PENIS”. It was funny, but wrong on so many levels. 

Edited by EVS
  • Love 23

Ugh--I've seen many an attention whore play the "I'm not worthy" game. When a narcissist says "I don't feel worthy," he or she is dying to hear the words, "Oh, but you ARE! You ARE worthy!"

• Love 22
On 11.1.2018 at 5:17 PM, EVS said:

When I was in college, I was on a retreat and my friends and I ended up playing Bible Pictionary with some seminary students and one priest in his early 30s. When, it was my turn, the category was  “biblical animals” and of course I had to draw “cock”. That was an actual card. I’m a terrible artist so I drew an awful rooster head. At the same time, the seminary student partnered with the priest drew an anatomically correct stick figure. He was an excellent artist and the drawing was, um, much more detailed. My partner immediately realized what I was trying to draw and yelled out “cock” at the same time the priest yelled out “penis”. The seminary student started giving the priest a hard time (no pun intended) for guessing incorrectly. They began arguing and the priest kept yelling, “Well, at least I got PENIS”. It was funny, but wrong on so many levels. 

Not during a game but confirmation class when I was 14  . We had been talking about images , how people see each other and body image and our pastor had come up with the idea that we all should draw each other's body shapes on large pieces of paper  . We got paired up and one would lie on the ground while the other draw around your body . So far so good , except we were an uneven number and I got paired up with our pastor. Can you imagine how embarrassing it is for a 14 year old girl to "work" between your pastor's legs or have the pastor draw around your privates.  I was soooo uncomfortable , I skipped the next few classes .

• Love 12
2 minutes ago, lianau said:

Not during a game but confirmation class when I was 14  . We had been talking about images , how people see each other and body image and our pastor had come up with the idea that we all should draw each other's body shapes on large pieces of paper  . We got paired up and one would lie on the ground while the other draw around your body . So far so good , except we were an uneven number and I got paired up with our pastor. Can you imagine how embarrassing it is for a 14 year old girl to "work" between your pastor's legs or have the pastor draw around your privates.  I was soooo uncomfortable , I skipped the next few classes .

That would have made me horribly uncomfortable too!

• Love 10
2 hours ago, lianau said:

Was your pastor Mr. Gothard?

• Love 15
3 hours ago, EVS said:

That would have made me horribly uncomfortable too!

Or, depending on whether the pastor was even remotely young-ish and decent  looking, might have stirred up some nascent defrauding emotions. Which, I guess, still falls firmly under "uncomfortable". Yeah, not a good idea either way...

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Or, depending on whether the pastor was even remotely young-ish and decent  looking, might have stirred up some nascent defrauding emotions. Which, I guess, still falls firmly under "uncomfortable". Yeah, not a good idea either way...

Middle age , married , with two children in their early 20s, just a normal pastor at a normal protestant church in Germany (I'm never sure how to translate that because we call it evangelisch but evangelical means something different in English) . He wasn't ugly but not something my 14 year old self would find attractive . 

3 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Wow, Si is on courtship #2 while JD can't even make it to courtship #1? That has to be a kick in the teeth.

I don’t think JD is interested in a courtship, so he is probably fine with it. 

• Love 6

Lauren Swanson, oldest of eight children, daughter of Dwain and Lana Swanson (below). They were briefly in an episode of 19 Kids when the Bontragers were also featured (they had five kids at the time). Don't know her age.

dwain-swanson.jpg

• Love 2
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

Wow, Si is on courtship #2 while JD can't even make it to courtship #1? That has to be a kick in the teeth.

That Si.  He’s such a ladies’ man.  At least those whose courtships didn’t work out, the consolation is they didn’t have to marry the first one that came along.

• Love 7
50 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

Lauren Swanson, oldest of eight children, daughter of Dwain and Lana Swanson (below). They were briefly in an episode of 19 Kids when the Bontragers were also featured (they had five kids at the time). Don't know her age.

dwain-swanson.jpg

Creepy, he could be Boob's brother.

• Love 10
58 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

dwain-swanson.jpg

But she’s like 35!

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I don’t think JD is interested in a courtship, so he is probably fine with it. 

I just don't think Josiah is into his courtshippee as much as he's into the idea of a good Christian marriage 

• Love 6
45 minutes ago, lianau said:

I just don't think Josiah is into his courtshippee as much as he's into the idea of a good Christian marriage 

Plus, if he gets in there with a courtship while Counting On still airs, he can probably get a better paycheck. Gotta strike while the TeeVee iron is hot. 

• Love 13
5 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

That Si.  He’s such a ladies’ man.  At least those whose courtships didn’t work out, the consolation is they didn’t have to marry the first one that came along.

True. Something tells me the second will be a go. Smells like an arranged marriage to me. 

• Love 10

They must be engaged because why would she sign the book?  Who signs a book they didn’t write?  Her signing and presence tells me she’s considered a Duggar already. They’ve really managed to keep this one very very quiet. 

• Love 20
27 minutes ago, Mojitogirl said:

They must be engaged because why would she sign the book?  Who signs a book they didn’t write?  Her signing and presence tells me she’s considered a Duggar already. They’ve really managed to keep this one very very quiet. 

Si is probably a little gun shy in announcing a courtship early on this time. He probably doesn't want to read about how another lucky lady dodged a Duggar bullet.

• Love 9
17 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Si is probably a little gun shy in announcing a courtship early on this time. He probably doesn't want to read about how Nurie R will never be a  a Duggar .

Fixed it for you because you know we are all thinking about Jill R and how she is crying that another Godly young man got away from marrying her Godly Nurie. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Mojitogirl said:

Wasn't that the four oldest girls' book they were signing? Practically nobody who signed it wrote it or pretended to write it then, actually.... They were all just signing it because of their celebrity status, really. ... And come to think of it, that would be true if they were signing the old JB and M book, too -- what was that one, Bullshit That Multiplies? ...

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ChiCricket said:

I don't know about anyone else..but this link opened up to a spam site for me...had to reboot my tablet to get out of it.

1 hour ago, ChiCricket said:

I don't know about anyone else..but this link opened up to a spam site for me...had to reboot my tablet to get out of it.

thanks for the heads up...

• Love 2
10 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

Wow...those things are so random sometimes...I had no problem with it and was going to thank QUEENANE for the diverting link.

21 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

dwain-swanson.jpg

This woman looks just like Jim Bob!

• Love 7

I was reading a bit about the Swanson family on Pickles and they're right up the Duggars' alley: Heavily involved in IBLP, Dad has some sort of "ministry." They've apparently been Duggar hangers-ons for a while which leads me to believe this is another arranged marriage a la Austin and Joy.

• Love 5

While looking up Dwain, I clicked on his ministry page and discovered the link to the Maxhell's blog. I want to warn you that the pictures will make you stabby at John's wedding.....why you ask because all those girls need to cut there hair off! UGH it's not the 1970's! So I desperately want to get my scissors over there and start cutting. Imagine all the hair that could be donated to make wigs for kids.

https://blog.titus2.com/2018/01/08/john-and-chelsy-maxwells-wedding/

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Fuzzysox said:

While looking up Dwain, I clicked on his ministry page and discovered the link to the Maxhell's blog. I want to warn you that the pictures will make you stabby at John's wedding.....why you ask because all those girls need to cut there hair off! UGH it's not the 1970's! So I desperately want to get my scissors over there and start cutting. Imagine all the hair that could be donated to make wigs for kids.

True, but I think the Duggars collectively are the worst offenders when it comes to long hair. The only Maxwell women with really long hair are Mary and Sarah (maybe Anna Marie, that is the first time I've seen her hair down in those pics). Melanie, Anna, Elissa, and Teri all have shoulder length hair.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Fuzzysox said:

I like the description of Daddy Bontrager's vasectomy reversal wedding speech . They really don't understand how strange that was .

Mr. Bontrager shared a message, and the most powerful part was when he talked about the blessing of children and allowing the Lord to choose the number a family has. The Lord’s done a mighty work in our family, because I was supposed to be the last child. God changed my parents’ hearts, and they allowed the Lord to plan their family after a seven year gap. Mr. Bontrager said there wouldn’t have been a wedding if that hadn’t been the case. Joseph, Anna, Jesse, and Mary stepped forward, and tears sprang to my eyes at the amazing, beautiful picture of God’s mercy.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I don't know what book they're signing, but there is a Duggar family book (https://www.amazon.com/Duggars-Counting-Raising-Americas-Families-How/dp/141658563X), so I assume it was that, not the daughter book.

Who knows? I was just going off the picture over in the other thread. There's only one pile of books shown near what appears to be the beginning of  the book-signing line, and it's a pile of Growing Up Duggar, the girls' book. There may well be a pile of the other books somewhere else, so who knows? ...

It's possible, I think,that Growing Up Duggar is the only one of the books of which a large number of copies are still available, though. (or the only book without heaping helpings of how wonderful Joshley is or something.) Since a new edition of the girls' book came out in 2016. JB and M's book came out in 2011, and as far as I know there's been no revised edition. 

Edited by Churchhoney
On 1/11/2018 at 11:31 AM, Portia said:

Ugh--I've seen many an attention whore play the "I'm not worthy" game. When a narcissist says "I don't feel worthy," he or she is dying to hear the words, "Oh, but you ARE! You ARE worthy!"

I am right there with you. She is so narcissistic. I hope Nurie breaks out and writes a book.

On 12/28/2017 at 7:55 PM, lascuba said:

I don't follow the Bateses that closely, but doesn't that match with the steady BUB gig? Eric and Alyssa, I think, got wedding specials on the Duggars' show, and Michael got married during BUB but she and Brandon had been courting before they had the show. Interesting how as soon as they get TV money coming in, the monetary prospects of potential sons-in-law no longer matter. Gil and Kelly got comfortable really quickly. 

The Duggars traveled to Erin's wedding on the show but not to Alyssa or Zach's wedding. 

Did anyone see Carlin's BF singing? His song was sweet but in a disjointed way. He talks about feeling good with her like he's on the moon and then he talks of stars and such.... then he abruptly changes to proving his love, that he was hiding his heart and now she has it, in a box. Evan doesn't impress me. He seems very entitled. 

• Love 1
On 1/13/2018 at 0:43 PM, madpsych78 said:

dwain-swanson.jpg

Well don't they look like they'd be a barrel of fun at a party?

Love the tense smiles with these people. 

• Love 10

Anyone following that horrendous story about the family in CA who shackled their kids to the beds? Kids were malnourished, adult children dressed like kids, homeschooled...I couldn't help but think of Jill R and her children. I hope this sparks someone close to them  to hopefully keep an extra eye out on the Rodriguii family...

• Love 14