Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

I think of all the characters in this little morality play the one who partakes most fully of the Jim Bob spirit is Amy. I'm reasonably convinced she doesn't give a rat's ass about that branch of her family, which it's hard to blame her for, but boy, she managed to hold her nose about it for years. And now they're stuck in the treads of her shiny stink bus and she and her future husband with the substance-and-hostility issues have their own show. Yeah, that bodes well.

This was Lawson's post 3 days ago ... hmm

lawbatesRomans 6

23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

James 1

12 Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death

Since they love to quote Leviticus as the reason to deny gay couple their civil rights, I think he should have posted Leviticus 20:10, "And the man that committeth adultery with another man's wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbour's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death." KJV (since they think that's the direct word if God and all...)

• Love 5

Since they love to quote Leviticus as the reason to deny gay couple their civil rights, I think he should have posted Leviticus 20:10, "And the man that committeth adultery with another man's wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbour's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death." KJV (since they think that's the direct word if God and all...)

So it's okay to cheat as long as the woman isn't married?

• Love 3

I didn't know that Anna's sister Rebecca is getting a divorce until I read this article in People today. 

From the article:

When Anna, now 27, met Josh at a Christian homeschooling convention back in 2006 when she was a teen, she wasn't allowed to gush about him to her siblings. "That's not something that's shared amongst siblings," says the source. "They always got 15-minute, one-on-one sessions with their mom every week. That was the time to share their feelings, but other than that they had to keep their feelings to themselves."

I never heard THIS before.  Anna had to schedule meetings with her mother and couldn't even talk to her own siblings?  That is so fucked up I can't even.

• Love 6
15 minutes, once a week.  Lucky gal!  I don't think the Jslaves got that much time unless it was to tell on a sibling

IKR? Other than breastfeeding, I doubt Jordyn's had 15 minutes of Michelle time her whole life.

• Love 12

So it's okay to cheat as long as the woman isn't married?

I assume that since most characters in the bible considered women to be property, women who have sex before marriage are given the lovely term of "whoremonger." (Excuse me while I gag.)

Hebrews 13:4 - Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.

I assume that since most characters in the bible considered women to be property, women who have sex before marriage are given the lovely term of "whoremonger." (Excuse me while I gag.)

Hebrews 13:4 - Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.

I'm relatively sure that whoremongers are men.

• Love 6

We can tell that by the way Jordyn's hair is never combed. But then again, that is not MeShell's job, it is the sistermom's job. Don't know who has Jordyn has their jurisdiction.

Well, Jessa was her moth-buddy, but now she's married, and I guess Jordyn defaults to Jana until Hannie gets old enough to take care of her.

• Love 1

I'm relatively sure that whoremongers are men.

Yeah, I thought whoremongers were pimps. You know, like fishmongers sell fish...

Eta, remind me to read to the end of the thread before piping up. Point already well made by Suze and Jynnan tonix.

Edited by mimionthebeach

While waiting for Famy's wedding pictures to surface, I discovered this article that claims she is not getting married in a church! WOW I'm really shocked. I would have expected her to do a church wedding.

http://www.ibtimes.com/amy-duggar-dillon-king-wedding-everything-know-about-their-september-6-nuptials-2084803

Don't churches usually insist on the completion of some sort of premarriage counseling?

This also makes the inevitable divorce easier to swallow for the public (if anyone will care by then), and she can claim marriage #2 is her first real marriage in the "eyes of God".

Don't churches usually insist on the completion of some sort of premarriage counseling? This also makes the inevitable divorce easier to swallow for the public (if anyone will care by then), and she can claim marriage #2 is her first real marriage in the "eyes of God".

It depends on the denomination and the governing body of the church. Some won't allow non-members (or those without some familial connection to the church) to get married there; others rent out the building & facilities just like secular venues.

ETA: My pastor required pre-marriage counseling, but it was a well-done program to ensure we knew what we were getting into (and by that, I mean each other, lol!) as well as the fact that it was understood that it was a committment to both each other and to God (as a sacrament of the church). But my denomination also recognizes divorce.

Edited by Liz Tudor

While waiting for Famy's wedding pictures to surface, I discovered this article that claims she is not getting married in a church! WOW I'm really shocked. I would have expected her to do a church wedding.

http://www.ibtimes.com/amy-duggar-dillon-king-wedding-everything-know-about-their-september-6-nuptials-2084803

*snort* A water bar for the Holy Duggars? I hope some of them sneak a sip of booze.

Maybe Amy's wedding will open the Duggar children's eyes. Hey, you can a wedding without a church! You can even have real food!! And alcohol!!! Imagine that.

• Love 1

There were pics from Eureka Springs a couple of days ago. I wonder if they got Thorncrown Chapel?

Are you saying that Famy got married at Thorncrown Chapel? I bet that just killed Jessa since she wanted to get married there and it's Mary's favorite church.

It depends on the denomination and the governing body of the church. Some won't allow non-members (or those without some familial connection to the church) to get married there; others rent out the building & facilities just like secular venues.

ETA: My pastor required pre-marriage counseling, but it was a well-done program to ensure we knew what we were getting into (and by that, I mean each other, lol!) as well as the fact that it was understood that it was a committment to both each other and to God (as a sacrament of the church). But my denomination also recognizes divorce.

Same here.  I still remember the 4 things that our pastor said caused the most problems in the marriage relationship...in-laws, finances, kids, and sex (not necessarily in that order).  My hubby of 41 years and I have argued over every one of those at one time or another.  Can't wait to see pix of Amy's wedding.  Unlike many, I really like her.  Foolish of her to use the Duggar name and now I'm sure she is regretting it.  She could have appeared on the show as Amy Jordan.  Still I liked her vibrant personality as compared to the 'Stepford Wives' demeanor of most of the Duggar gals.  She reminds me more of the Bates girls than the Duggars.  And she can live her more liberal lifestyle and still be a good Christian. 

• Love 1

I read that they were getting married on his family's farm.  Hopefully we'll get a few photos soon.

I didn't see anything that indicated that the farm was his family's. There has never been mention of him and this farm before this, and he's an outdoorsy type, so you'd think this would have happened. I'm pretty sure they rented the venue, looking for a "country" wedding. 

I didn't see anything that indicated that the farm was his family's. There has never been mention of him and this farm before this, and he's an outdoorsy type, so you'd think this would have happened. I'm pretty sure they rented the venue, looking for a "country" wedding. 

I also remember reading in one of the links that they were marrying on his family's property.

No rain is predicted today, but it will be a sizzling summer day in Northwest Arkansas with temperatures climbing to 91 degrees in the shade and humidity of 84 percent. The 300-acre farm belongs to Dillon King’s parents, Jeannine and Dan Mark King.

Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/2397155/amy-duggar-wedding-day-is-here-and-final-preparations-are-made-on-dillon-king-family-farm/#pcWPxqEBHM2deuux.99

Edited by CofCinci
  • Love 1

Chad has a new blog up, in which he writes 

"We have a special announcement coming up that I am so thrilled to share with you all!....and I am so pumped about it, but I am bummed that I can't share now, but I will soon!...so stay tuned! =)"

chadsperspective.blogspot.com/

Any thought to what that might be??? I hope she isn't pregnant again so quickly that would be so dangerous!!

I do like them, they rarely post any of the hate posts ( even Alyssas hubby did a 'traditional marriage only (VOM)" post the other day that reminded me of their beliefs. Chad and Erin tend to talk about God but mind their own beeswax which Is why I like them

• Love 1

If you look at Erin's Instagram from yesterday (she's with Carlin and two others) she looks like she might be pregnant. Could be that early swell, or just leftover from Carson.

I took a look, Erin looks tired in that picture but it's hard to tell if she is pregnant again.

I love Chad. Erin won the husband pool with him. He just adores her.

• Love 1

That must be the one who used to post on TWoP. Is he married to the sister who is divorcing?

Yes, that's Anna's BIL Josh McDonald who is divorcing her sister, Rebekah. 

As for Erin and Chad, I think it's about the release of her CD that she was recording a couple months ago. They would certainly take to social media to promote it. Chad's so proud of her. 

That's what I HOPE it is. If they know Erin is pregnant NOW, that only puts 12 months between Carson and #2, if carried to term. Even Kelly spaced about 13 months for a lot of her kids. I don't think she had any sooner than that. 

• Love 2

Holy cats. I just purposed to watch the David Waller/Priscilla Keller wedding video. What in the world was Jim Bob doing, participating in the post-vow prayers with the parents? His so-called prayer started out with him TELLING God what was what. Uh, JimBoob, you forgot that this isn't a talking head. And why do the attendants have to be married couples that stand together? Why did Michelle have to come up to the altar with JB instead of staying in her seat? Too tempting to sit in church without being chained at the hip to her "buddy"? Geesh. I haven't even watched the rest of it yet!

• Love 4
Tabbygirl521, I put the blame squarely on you...I just watched the Waller Wedding, or as I'm now calling it, "Wedding: The Musical!" I usually love weddings, get teary, enjoy different customs, ideas, etc. (love Four Weddings!) but this, this just gave me a major case of the icks. As well as wedding "firsts" (for me, in all my wedding observations). The pianist set the tone with the dramatic banging that wouldn't quit. I've never seen the "Hallelujah Chorus" used as a processional, just seemed weird (though I abhor "Here Comes The Bride"). I thought Tommy Tune was going to whack poor 'Cilla upside the head with his crazy, one-armed "directing." And then there was his endless solo. Girlfriend needed every bit of that Thorazine to smile and nod through all that (very "16 Candles"). If they hadn't been engaging in open hand sex, I just know his jazz hands would've been in full swing. I'd never heard Gothard speak before, and he's exactly what I would've thought: an oily cult leader. Verrrry smooth. I've never seen matching MOTB/MOTG uniforms. During the prayer session (which was a hot mess of redundancy), Anna's dad looked like he was either trying to solve a high level math problem or pass a kidney stone. I should've fought the urge to watch this before bed...I will probably have nightmares!
  • Love 5

When I was watching the Waller wedding, my husband came in and said, "What on earth is this?" I said, "It's a wedding." Pause. Then he says, "No, really -- what is it?" (He had trouble believing this was an actual wedding and not, say, a musical comedy about a wedding.)

• Love 7

All snark aside, the wedding itself, church, and the reception were the best done out of all the weddings I've seen on this show. The dirt poor Keller family did a fine job, and it was tasteful. Of course, maybe David had a hand in that?

If I'm not mistaken, I thought Priscilla said that David handled a majority of the arrangements. Josh and Anna's wedding was nice as well, especially in the context of Jill and Jessa's shitshows. There was food and the bridesmaids' dresses actually looked like they belonged at a wedding. So far the Duggars are the only ones going completely low-rent.

• Love 9

LizTudor please accept my apologies (cackle, cackle),

Of course, maybe David had a hand in that?

Why, yes he did! Two of them. I could not look away from the handsex. Perhaps I am developing an addiction that will land me in RU.

I had to quit watching at the point where JimBob was giving God &Co. the half-time speech (Project Runway was coming on) but am about to resume.

I already have a bunch more questions on my viewing thus far. Was that an inside-out extended version of the Lord's Prayer that preacher was saying as he laid hands on David? What were Josh and Anna yakking about in the background?And yeah, WTF re: the Hallelujah Chorus?? Are they marrying God? (Kinda, I guess. ) and WHICH ONE IS GOTHARD? Ack!

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 2

LizTudor please accept my apologies (cackle, cackle).

Apologies accepted...no weird/bad wedding dreams. :-)

I already have a bunch more questions on my viewing thus far. Was that an inside-out extended version of the Lord's Prayer that preacher was saying as he laid hands on David?

I think that was just a free form odyssey of prayer that that pastor started & ended...they asked people who meant something to them to come up and pray over them (men only, of course). It appeared that no one really prepared for this and made it personal, as they all said the same rambling thing and threw in chunks of "recognizeable" prayer. Twice, Anna's dad said "keep them from evil" when he awkwardly led the congregation in that "repeat after me" prayer.

What were Josh and Anna yakking about in the background?

Good question!

And yeah, WTF re: the Hallelujah Chorus?? Are they marrying God? (Kinda, I guess. )

I'm still not getting this. Maybe it fit TFDW's theme.

and WHICH ONE IS GOTHARD? Ack!

When Priscilla had been dropped off by her dad, and she and TFDW were together before they went up on "stage," he was the second speaker, after the pastor who acted as "emcee" (at first, he couldn't be heard well, then someone handed him a mic). He talked for good 5-7 minutes about stuff he knows nothing about (being a couple and starting a family). He has a very nice voice, and spoke very well, off the cuff (though he did have a small piece of paper).

Apologies accepted...no weird/bad wedding dreams. :-)

I think that was just a free form odyssey of prayer that that pastor started & ended...they asked people who meant something to them to come up and pray over them (men only, of course). It appeared that no one really prepared for this and made it personal, as they all said the same rambling thing and threw in chunks of "recognizeable" prayer. Twice, Anna's dad said "keep them from evil" when he awkwardly led the congregation in that "repeat after me" prayer.

Good question!

I'm still not getting this. Maybe it fit TFDW's theme.

When Priscilla had been dropped off by her dad, and she and TFDW were together before they went up on "stage," he was the second speaker, after the pastor who acted as "emcee" (at first, he couldn't be heard well, then someone handed him a mic). He talked for good 5-7 minutes about stuff he knows nothing about (being a couple and starting a family). He has a very nice voice, and spoke very well, off the cuff (though he did have a small piece of paper).

Snorting at "dropped off by her dad." I don't know why that seems so hilarious.

Thank you re: Gothard! Must purpose to re watch.

I wonder what it's like, being an allegedly virginal old coot sitting around formulating all these rules about sex and relationships. Not weird at ALL, I'm sure.

I saw an extremely defrauding guest, when they were being dismissed. Short black sleeveless dress! Probably some Gothard Boy's date. I can only imagine all the frantic prayers that ensued.

• Love 4