Type keyword(s) to search

Snark Should Be Multiplied, Not Divided: General Show Discussion

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, Sofa Sloth said:

...someone with a (loose lipped) friend who works at TLC (as a production assistant on shows LPBW and Sister wives....

Oh, well as long as it's from a reputable source. 

Kind of like my cousin's sister-in-law's garage mechanic heard it from his girlfriend who works in a beauty parlor and did the hair of somebody's mother who works for TLC.

Edited by Kohola3
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2

But a single woman like Meri would owe ~$65,500 in state and federal income tax on that $243,750. Not to mention paying for Mariah to live in the manner that she has become accustomed to.

Edited by deirdra
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, smarty2020 said:

Interestingly, Season 12 shows they had 24 episodes.

That season and another were later split up, hence TLC season numbering differ from our season numbering.

A million dollars split 5 ways (do they  still have a family pot) is $200,000 each. AZ tax rate is up to 4.5% and federal would be around 32% on taxable income. So they are left with $123,000. Each has one or two rents or mortgages, utilities, cell phones, property taxes, medical expenses, car payments, gas, airline tix, Disneyland vacays, college tuition, groceries and Hobby Lobby addictions. They may live OK but not very well.

• Useful 3
  • Love 6

Of course this is all just conjecture.
If the Browns' TLC contract is like the Gosslin's, then they can't reveal their renumeration to ANYONE without risking a ginormous lawsuit from the deep pocket attorneys of the Discovery Network.

And if they were making sooooo much money, then why the need to do MLM?

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • Love 8
2 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

Absolutely.  We all know the power of the internet. If I planted a story saying I heard it from the secretary for president of TLC and these were the numbers, it would be out there in a heartbeat, spread throughout the tabloids, and on SM. 

Unless I see the pay stubs or hear it in an interview with one of them, I don't believe a word of anything.  And, like you say, if they are raking in the bucks, why are they all shilling useless crap as "influencers"?

• Love 8
5 hours ago, Sofa Sloth said:

Aha yes 5 ways. I forgot Kodouch! 

Again good points. I’m sure the legal marriage to Robyn was not just about the adoption but also the ongoing tax benefits. They sure know how to maximise the system but I guess that’s polygamy 101, taught from birth 😉 Weird that Kodouch didn’t legally marry Christine or Janelle in the past as they had more dependants, but I’m sure old Mare would never have allowed it. I’m curious if part of Janelle and Meri’s old beef was that issue too, as Janelle doing the family finances, would have been looking at practical ways to scrimp funds. Janelle was super pissed at Meri’s announcement she was handing the legal marriage to Robyn, as she’s probably been suggesting it swap to the others with more dependants for years (and we know she’s pissed that Meri always took a quarter share despite one dependant). 

Meri would have demanded the 45k from TLC at least once to blubber on about the catfishing.  Robyn’s probably got it for the births both times as well. I wonder if they spilt that between 5 when it’s compensation for their personal storyline? My guess is no. 

I have always thought this.  At the time Mariah had just gone off to uni, and so Kody and Meri didn't have deductions.  Christine and Janelle's kids were starting to filter out as well.  There is Robyn with her big house, online business and 4 going on 5 little tax deductions just sitting next door.  Have Kody and Robyn together, line up the business and house and kids under them and if anything happened to the show they were lined up to dump it on a bankruptcy. The show kept going because they drew out the storyline of the adoption.

I thought this mainly because the whole "legal marriage" document swap was all hush hush until it leaked online.  Then all of a sudden that season ended with Meri and her "I know something you don't know" look on her face saying she was going to a lawyer. I always thought that they tried to just sneaky sneak until it came out in public and then the storyline etc was invented.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

I would think that an adopted dog would serve the identical purpose and be way easier on the purse.

Definitely much less expensive to adopt from a shelter or a rescue but not necessarily free. I've volunteered with and adopted from several rescues and it's common to ask for a significant "donation" to the organization for adopting a pet. $350 was a pretty common ask for a younger, healthy pet. This helped to offset the rescue's costs in caring for all the dogs that came in, whether the specific dog you adopted had associated expenses or not. You can pay thousands for puppies from a breeder though, so even $350 is a bargain.

Coming off two dogs in a row with major medical issues, I'd say the Browns shouldn't have a pet at all right now - even a young healthy one. I don't see how they could afford any sort of health crisis for their pet. Even the routine care - heartworm preventative, good quality food (though they do have a freezer full of cow organ meat that puppy would probably love), a spay/neuter, etc. It adds up.

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

Even the routine care - heartworm preventative, good quality food (though they do have a freezer full of cow organ meat that puppy would probably love), a spay/neuter, etc. It adds up.

Lawd, yes.  My last two shelter dogs didn't cost me anything as they were both older, hard to place dogs.  The one that just passed away had major medical issues and I always joked how my "free" dog cost me, literally, thousands of dollars. I am lucky and I could afford it.  Her meds cost me over $100 a month. But never, ever would I consider putting her down for any reason.  That's not how you treat family. 

The episode where Meri and Kootie dug the dog's grave while it watched was the last one for me.  Disgusting pigs.

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

The episode where Meri and Kootie dug the dog's grave while it watched was the last one for me.  Disgusting pigs.

I only recently started watching this show and thank God I missed that.

Same here.  That would have broken my heart in two.  Just hearing about it makes me sick.

• Love 6
On 1/21/2020 at 10:01 AM, Sandy W said:

They may be doing what I suspect Meri did with the purchase of the BnB.  Her brother negotiated the loan for her, possibly with a private lender, who is willing to take a risky loan in exchange for a much higher rate than conventional lenders are offering.  Some private lenders are willing to take this risk because their rate of interest is much higher than a safer investment and they have the opportunity to foreclose and gain the property in the case of default.

That makes more sense than low level "banker" FT having any authority to do anything for them.

• Love 4

If memory serves, public records show Meri's loan is with Stearns which of course is the entity surviving the 2008 crash that took down its predecessor Bear Stearns (see The Big Short). 

ETA: they filed for bankruptcy this past July.

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, DakotaJustice said:

If memory serves, public records show Meri's loan is with Stearns which of course is the entity surviving the 2008 crash that took down its predecessor Bear Stearns (see The Big Short). 

ETA: they filed for bankruptcy this past July.

What happens when a lender goes bankrupt?  Will Mari continue to pay off her loan as before, or will she be forced to renegotiate with whoever ends up taking over the loan?  Could she lose the B&B?

• Useful 1
10 minutes ago, Zahdii said:

What happens when a lender goes bankrupt?

As I understand it, another lender buys out the company but the terms of the original loans and mortgages remain the same.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
10 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

As I understand it, another lender buys out the company but the terms of the original loans and mortgages remain the same.

That's what happened to my mortgage.  All that changes is the name you pay to and their address.  Meri would barely notice.

• Useful 3
  • Love 7
On 2/1/2020 at 12:01 PM, Absolom said:

That's what happened to my mortgage.  All that changes is the name you pay to and their address.  Meri would barely notice.

My mortgage was sold twice in five years. The only thing that changed was, as Absolom said, the address for payment.

• Useful 2
Just now, Roseann said:

I just started watching this series and I have a question,  why do they ALL have cold sores on their lips and mouths?

Because Robyn CHRONICALLY has cold sores - ALL of the time.  Oozing, seeping, scabby cold sores.  She kisses Kody - Kody mouths the other wives' mouths - and it's the gift that keeps on giving.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

I see in the news that a committee of the Utah state senate wants to decriminalize polygamy from a felony to a misdemeanor.    I predict another season of lobbying.

I finally found a whole article instead of the news blurb, so I need to correct this.  It would not only not be a felony or misdemeanor, it would be an infraction.  I guess more like a speeding ticket.

It was voted unanimously out of committee, and it will now be voted on by the state senate. 

Of course, the article I found had a picture of Kody with a sign at the march they went to a few years ago. 

Edited by Twopper
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

So, here’s a thought. IF polygamy is decriminalized in Utah, and IF Kootie really did want to move to St George, do you think that in three years, when Savannah graduates and the rest of the kids aren’t in high school yet, the Browns will strike their tents and move again? They could buy/build a four townhouse complex. Maybe add a big party room on one end and create a man cave and extra bedrooms on the second floor. Plyg Princess could live at the far end, put up a big wall  between her and the others so they can’t see her.   MEri already has her walls up. Jangle and Robchin could arm wrestle for the house closest to Kootie’s cave. They could put in a full  on parking lot in the back. Maybe set off an alarm when Kootie heads out on a date so they can all go stand in a corner, away from windows, until the all clear sounds. Come on, is it any more ree-dick-liss (quoting Christine) than what we’ve already sat through?

• LOL 17

Wasn't sure where to put this because it's not show related but I'm curious.

Is anyone else having a problem with the PTV site indicating that there are new comments and then nothing displays?  When I select "Next Unread Topic" I get "There is no unread content" message.    Or the SW banner is lit up as though there is something new but when I get to the topics list, there isn't.

Just wondering if it's the SW page because I don't get that on any other one.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

Is anyone else having a problem with the PTV site indicating that there are new comments and then nothing displays?  When I select "Next Unread Topic" I get "There is no unread content" message.    Or the SW banner is lit up as though there is something new but when I get to the topics list, there isn't.

This is the only PTV site I comment on and I don't use the "Next Unread Topic" feature.  I know when there is a new comment, response or reaction to comments when the "Notifications" bell lights up. 

When it's a topic heading I have never commented on, the main body lights up yellow that there is a comment that I haven't read.  Sometimes though, even when I have commented actively on a topic, I don't get a notification that a new comment has been posted, only if it was in response to one of my own comments.  When I hit the yellow bar in the main text, I find there are several comments there that I haven't seen.  This is a severe handicap to my FOMO.

Edited by Sandy W
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

Yes!   That’s been happening for me for a few days as well.   

• Love 5
On 2/20/2020 at 10:35 PM, lindalouwho said:

So, here’s a thought. IF polygamy is decriminalized in Utah, and IF Kootie really did want to move to St George, do you think that in three years, when Savannah graduates and the rest of the kids aren’t in high school yet, the Browns will strike their tents and move again? 

Makes no difference when any of the kids who don't have Robyn's genes graduate.  IF and WHEN Robyn says they can move, they will move, and it will be contingent on what she perceives to be the needs of HER kids.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Oh my gosh, Yes!... Thanks for asking. 👍

I thought of saying something but then I thought it was probably just a glitch with my browser or something.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, Joan of Argh said:

Oh my gosh, Yes!... Thanks for asking. 👍

I thought of saying something but then I thought it was probably just a glitch with my browser or something.

I sent a note to the mod about it. Haven't heard back. Just glad to know I'm not the only one.

• Love 3

(Given Christine's supposed great fear of legal consequences) I was thinking about their last name(s) on driver's licenses, bank accounts, loan and credit card applications, government aid applications, etc. Especially in regard to Janelle and Christine because they're not legally married, never have been and they have 12 kids. The kids all use the same last name, from what we've seen on social media. 

You need documents to change your legal name: birth certificate, marriage certificate, divorce decree, court order, adoption order, driver's license, Social Security card, etc. 

Utah doesn't do common law marriage in terms of it being automatic after a certain number of years. It recognizes what is called a Cohabitation Agreement and it must be documented by an official form. 

Then we get to the Feds. Social Security requires the same documents, mainly to demonstrate that the change is not an attempt to deceive (monetary) or evade (criminal). 

So do we think they've done everything legally or are they free-balling it? Or 50/50?

Judicial Recognition of a Relationship as a Marriage - Utah Courts

Required Conditions. Many people want to get a "common law marriage." Utah does not have common law marriage; instead, you may petition the court to recognize your relationship as a marriage even though you never had a marriage ceremony. If the court approves, the partners will be considered to have been married ever since the following conditions have been met... (See list at link). 

The petition to have a relationship recognized as a marriage must be filed during the relationship or within one year after the relationship ends (one or both partners have died or the partners have separated). Either partner may file the petition or both partners may file the petition together. A third party, such as next of kin, may file the petition.

https://www.utcourts.gov/howto/marriage/commonlaw/

Edited by suomi
fix link
  • Useful 4

That's part of what I'm wondering about. Maybe bigamy applies only if there is more than one legal marriage at the same time. I can't figure out how/if they are legally using the same last name. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 1/23/2020 at 6:08 PM, DakotaJustice said:

If the Browns' TLC contract is like the Gosslin's, then they can't reveal their renumeration to ANYONE without risking a ginormous lawsuit from the deep pocket attorneys of the Discovery Network.

And if they were making sooooo much money, then why the need to do MLM?

Or not pay their property taxes?  

• Love 5
8 hours ago, suomi said:

That's part of what I'm wondering about. Maybe bigamy applies only if there is more than one legal marriage at the same time. I can't figure out how/if they are legally using the same last name. 

You can legally change your name to whatever you want, whenever you want.  Just fill out the paperwork, file it in court, and pay the fee.

That doesn't have anything to do with legal marriage however, one for which paperwork is filed.  Only one legal marriage per person at a time.  

• Love 5
11 hours ago, suomi said:

I can't figure out how/if they are legally using the same last name. 

3 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

You can legally change your name to whatever you want, whenever you want.  Just fill out the paperwork, file it in court, and pay the fee.

That doesn't have anything to do with legal marriage however, one for which paperwork is filed.  Only one legal marriage per person at a time.  

Going back pretty far on the show I believe that Christine mentioned that her and Janelle legally changed their last name to Brown to have a cohesive family name.  I think it was mentioned around the time that Robyn supposedly did the same thing. I imagined it as Kohola3 mentions that it was just a courthouse/paperwork thing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I hate myself for remembering, but when dear Robo gifted Kootie on Christmas with the proof of her name change, he said "it shocked and awed me."

WTF? Was he saying shit like that when Janelle or Christine changed their names?  Balls he did.  

I hope when TLC axes this show, Meri, Janelle and Christine leave Kootie's flea-bitten ass.  Leave him and Robo to their wretchedness.  I have no love for any of them, but Kootie and his Hapsburg wife deserve one another, especially.

• Love 12

Did Logan start refusing to film? Is that why we never see Logan and barely hear of him anymore? I think it's been at least 2 seasons since we've had any significant air time with Logan, and I'm wondering if he decided to quit this shit show completely.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, suomi said:

Bigamy applies to more than one legal marriage.  You don't have to get married to name change. As long as they applied and paid for it, they can change their name to anything they want.  Dayton did it and so did Kareem Abdul Jabbar...Metta  World Peace? lol

• Love 3
(edited)
43 minutes ago, Kellyee said:

Did Logan start refusing to film? Is that why we never see Logan and barely hear of him anymore? I think it's been at least 2 seasons since we've had any significant air time with Logan, and I'm wondering if he decided to quit this shit show completely.

I think Logan made an intelligent choice to no longer be involved with filming the show some time ago.  He most likely wants to get established in his chosen career and have a normal life. I don't think he's even on social media anymore. **ETA he is on IG but his account is private**

It's not like he's walking away from big money. Really, I don't think the family gets that much. I notice we aren't seeing much of Garrison either. 

I SAY GOOD FOR LOGAN! 

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • Love 12
3 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

I think Logan made an intelligent choice to no longer be involved with filming the show some time ago.  He most likely wants to get established in his chosen career and have a normal life. I don't think he's even on social media anymore. **ETA he is on IG but his account is private**

It's not like he's walking away from big money. Really, I don't think the family gets that much. I notice we aren't seeing much of Garrison either. 

I SAY GOOD FOR LOGAN! 

I doubt that they give any of the adult children money for being on the show.  They probably only benefited from it while being dependent children.  I don't see Kody wanting to share any.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Kellyee said:

I think he is still going to school and he is also working.  Most people can't take off work whenever they want to.  I'm sure Michelle is working and not able to take off either.  Not sure if it had anything to do with the show.  They wont have a lot of visitors living 4-10 hours away from the rest of the kids.  

Bless her heart, at least Mykelti steps up to the plate and goes to stay with her other siblings when mom has to go out of town.  Despite her always catching flak from her parents when she was younger.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

I doubt that they give any of the adult children money for being on the show.  They probably only benefited from it while being dependent children.  I don't see Kody wanting to share any.

I don't see Kody wanting to share but part of the story line for this season is Maddie's birth of EvieMae.  I don't see Maddie and Caleb willing to film her floundering in the bathtub again for free.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Sandy W said:

I don't see Kody wanting to share but part of the story line for this season is Maddie's birth of EvieMae.  I don't see Maddie and Caleb willing to film her floundering in the bathtub again for free.

You might be right about that.  I certainly wouldn't, unless there was enough money involved.  🤣

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Sandy W said:

I wish we hadn’t seen the first floundering or Robyn’s flying fluids or her step daddy’s camera either.   I really don’t care about seeing the births or weddings.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Irate Panda said:

I wish we hadn’t seen the first floundering or Robyn’s flying fluids or her step daddy’s camera either.   I really don’t care about seeing the births or weddings.

no kidding there. I am extremely grateful we also didn't have to witness Robyn birthin' a Kody/Meri spawn. that would have been a horror film. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 5

In the very beginning this show had such potential.  I started watching this show because I wanted to learn about life as a polygamist.  They began right in Lehi.  But ever since they moved from there, this show has shown very little of what a functional polygamist family really is like.  The show My 5 Wives did a better job than the Brown's dysfunctional family.  It's even sadder to know that absolutely none of their many children want to be in a plural family.  I really hope TLC doesn't continue wasting their money on this show any longer.  The train has already been wrecked a thousand times.

• Love 8