Type keyword(s) to search

Snark Should Be Multiplied, Not Divided: General Show Discussion

• Start Topic

5 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

I disagree with you on this part - I think it is fabulous that none of the children want to be in a plural family. Certainly the Browns don't make it look very attractive.

Also that is fairly common.  More kids DON'T want polygamy, than do.  A couple of my kids don't even want to have children.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, DakotaJustice said:

Just like Logan saying he doesn't want kids.

he says that now. All of them are young and really don't know much about life.  They may change their minds. I said I'd never get married, let alone have kids.  Have two now.  Things change. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, crimson23 said:

he says that now. All of them are young and really don't know much about life.  They may change their minds. I said I'd never get married, let alone have kids.  Have two now.  Things change. 

This is true.  But when you come from that situation, you can be scarred for life.  I know my two oldest kids who were most aware of what was going on and who had to help me the most when we left - never changed their minds.

But Logan's wife might bring him around to having a baby or two.   I don't see any of them entering polygamy except probably Aspyn.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

I disagree with you on this part - I think it is fabulous that none of the children want to be in a plural family. Certainly the Browns don't make it look very attractive.

I agree with you.  I just thought that if living their lifestyle was so important to them and the only way to heaven that their kids would want to live the same way. I'm glad that none of them see fit to be in their parents' lifestyle.  Mariah was the only one who wanted sister wives, but she wanted the wives, and not the man it seems LOL  sorry, I couldn't resist saying that...

• LOL 11
  • Love 1
On 3/1/2020 at 5:17 AM, Kohola3 said:

You can legally change your name to whatever you want, whenever you want.  Just fill out the paperwork, file it in court, and pay the fee.

That doesn't have anything to do with legal marriage however, one for which paperwork is filed.  Only one legal marriage per person at a time.  

Not sure if it's the same in USA as it is in Canada but here on top of the paperwork, court filing etc you also have to announce your name change in 2 different newspapers and provide proof of doing so.

I guess it's to make sure you're not trying to hide something or change your name for nefarious reasons, hide from creditors etc?

• Useful 5
(edited)

Haven't had time to read the threads but has anyone else noticed that in ALL the couch sessions - for every episode aired thus far - each of them is wearing the same outfit as in all the other couch sessions? Looks like they taped all the commentary in one day.

Edited by Teafortwo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Joan of Argh said:

Not sure if it's the same in USA as it is in Canada but here on top of the paperwork, court filing etc you also have to announce your name change in 2 different newspapers and provide proof of doing so.

I guess it's to make sure you're not trying to hide something or change your name for nefarious reasons, hide from creditors etc?

We gave our first son two first names and no middle name - because we LIKED it.  But people would only call him by the first part of his name, so we went to court to add a hyphen between the names and gave him a middle name.  We had to announce it in one rinky dink local newspaper and pay fees and go to court.   It took about 3 minutes in the courthouse.  He had just turned 5 years old.

• Useful 2
1 minute ago, Kyanight said:

We gave our first son two first names and no middle name - because we LIKED it.  But people would only call him by the first part of his name, so we went to court to add a hyphen between the names and gave him a middle name.  We had to announce it in one rinky dink local newspaper and pay fees and go to court.   It took about 3 minutes in the courthouse.  He had just turned 5 years old.

Exactly...its a lot less complicated to change a child's name and it doesn't require jumping through all the hoops required by an adult... If you're the parents and the child is under a certain age (here I think the age is 6) it's fairly simple I guess it's because a child wouldn't have a drivers license, debts, loans, income tax etc... like an adult.

My best friend changed her entire name, first, middle and surname so she had to do it all... and I just remember at the time I was sort of surprised that along with all the legal steps she also had to post her entire old name and the entire new names she was changing to in the newspaper.... It kind of pissed her off because she provided everything to show it was just a personal choice and she wasn't using the name change to hide from anything but she still had to take out personal ads and announce it to the general public in 2 newspapers.

It took months for the entire process, we actually went out for dinner and celebrated the day she finally received her documents and then she had to take the name change certificate and new birth certificate and go get a new drivers license, SIN, passport etc... It took her another few months before she finally had all of her documents.

It still haunts her from time to time... A few years ago she had to go to emergency at hospital and they wouldn't treat her until she could provide all the documents.... She phoned me from hospital and I had to run to her house and get all her papers so they'd admit her..... Since then our Healthcare certificate (Canada)  is on the back of our drivers licenses so she doesn't have that problem anymore. 👍

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

Exactly...its a lot less complicated to change a child's name and it doesn't require jumping through all the hoops required by an adult... If you're the parents and the child is under a certain age (here I think the age is 6) it's fairly simple I guess it's because a child wouldn't have a drivers license, debts, loans, income tax etc... like an adult.

I've never been called the legal first name on my birth certificate - the family called me a modified version of it so that I wouldn't be confused with the aunt after whom I was named.  My middle name was the aunt's friend whom I never saw after the day of my birth.  They both helped deliver me, so my female birth vessel (who never had an original idea in her life) named me after the two of them.

At the age of 40 - in a fit of independence - I had my first name legally changed to what I've been called my whole life.  I completely eliminated my middle name.

I paid about $70 in court fees and had to appear before a judge and swear that I wasn't trying to hide from a criminal past or civil court issues.  Fine.  No problem.  What WAS weird was that my husband ALSO had to appear and "give his permission" for the change.  No newspaper notification, nothing else.  $70, about 5 minutes before a judge, and my husband's "permission."

After receiving the certified court document, I went to Social Security and DMV and changed my info there.  No big deal.  

• Love 7
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

What WAS weird was that my husband ALSO had to appear and "give his permission" for the change.  No newspaper notification, nothing else.  $70, about 5 minutes before a judge, and my husband's "permission."

Would you believe that when I retired last month I had to have him sign that I had his permission? This crap needs to change!

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, SongbirdHollow said:

Would you believe that when I retired last month I had to have him sign that I had his permission? This crap needs to change!

On the flip side, I lived in Saskatchewan, Canada for 5 years and when a property was sold, whether in both names or just the husbands, the wife was taken to a private room where she was questioned whether or not she gave consent to the sale.  If the lawyer felt satisfied that the wife was not under duress over the sale, then the transaction could occur.

• Love 5
54 minutes ago, SongbirdHollow said:

Do you live in the U.S. or Canada?  I sincerely hope that the WIFE has to give her HUSBAND permission to retire, as well!!

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

Do you live in the U.S. or Canada?  I sincerely hope that the WIFE has to give her HUSBAND permission to retire, as well!!

I remember when my Father in Law announced his retirement.  His wife kept taking people off to the side and saying "What am I going to do with him when he's hanging around the house all the time?" 

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
Just now, Zahdii said:

I remember when my Father in Law announced his retirement.  His wife kept taking people off to the side and saying "What am I going to do with him when he's hanging around the house all the time?" 

HA HA HA HA HA!!!  That is something I have heard before!  For good or bad (probably both!) I will never have to experience that.

• Love 7
On 3/2/2020 at 8:35 AM, texasbluebonnets said:

But ever since they moved from there, this show has shown very little of what a functional polygamist family really is like.  

But ever since they moved from there, this show has shown very little of what a functional polygamist family really is like.  FTFY

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, the-grey-lady said:

But ever since they moved from there, this show has shown very little of what a functional polygamist family really is like.  FTFY

Honestly - what is the POINT of this show?  It's a married guy and his girlfriends.  They certainly are NOT sister wives - regardless of whether they all believe themselves married to Kody or not.   I think that a certain percentage of the viewers got invested with this family years ago, and that's why they are still presenting new seasons.  It's like the freaking Truman show.  People watched him as he was born and then watched him his entire life until he was an adult/married man and they would have continued to watch (zzz.z.z.z.z..z..) until the day he died if he hadn't become "aware".  lol

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

Honestly - what is the POINT of this show?  It's a married guy and his girlfriends.  

THIS. I ask myself this same question every week when I force myself to sit through this shitshow.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, SongbirdHollow said:

Wow.  Maybe it's because he was beneficiary to your retirement benefits, so he had to say it was okay because he might end up getting less because you're retiring now instead of years from now?  

• Useful 4
11 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Wow.  Maybe it's because he was beneficiary to your retirement benefits, so he had to say it was okay because he might end up getting less because you're retiring now instead of years from now?  

But what if the wife is having health issues?  Can the husband crack his whip and make her work until she croaks over dead so that he can have more income?  It's not like a wife has to give permission for her HUSBAND to retire!

• Love 8
(edited)

I had to provide my husband's death certificate when I retired to prove that he wasn't entitled to any share of the benefits otherwise he would have had to sign acknowledging his rights or his waiver.

None of this will likely be an issue for the Browns.  Have any of them worked long enough to earn a pension?  How long was Janelle working for the state?

Edited by Absolom
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
Just now, Kyanight said:

But what if the wife is having health issues?  Can the husband crack his whip and make her work until she croaks over dead so that he can have more income?  It's not like a wife has to give permission for her HUSBAND to retire!

When I went for my retirement appointment with HR, hubby went with me (two heads are better than one).  I was given options for the payout.  We chose the first option (which provided the largest check every month); when I die, my pension check dies with me.  Hubby has a vested interest in keeping me alive.  LOL.  HR Rep (who was also a friend) laughed and said, "You are SCREWED if she dies, man."

• LOL 5
  • Love 4

It was under the Virginia Retirement System. The application probably did say “spouse” so I guess it works both ways. I still think it’s intrusive either way. If you’re not on speaking terms with your spouse or separated there was some rigamarole to go through. My husband is my beneficiary but only until the principal is gone. As long as I’m alive I get a pension. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, SongbirdHollow said:

The application probably did say “spouse” so I guess it works both ways. I still think it’s intrusive either way.

Were they legally able to force someone to work if the spouse didn't agree?  It's none of their danged business either way!

• Love 4
7 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I've never been called the legal first name on my birth certificate - the family called me a modified version of it so that I wouldn't be confused with the aunt after whom I was named.  My middle name was the aunt's friend whom I never saw after the day of my birth.  They both helped deliver me, so my female birth vessel (who never had an original idea in her life) named me after the two of them.

At the age of 40 - in a fit of independence - I had my first name legally changed to what I've been called my whole life.  I completely eliminated my middle name.

I paid about $70 in court fees and had to appear before a judge and swear that I wasn't trying to hide from a criminal past or civil court issues.  Fine.  No problem.  What WAS weird was that my husband ALSO had to appear and "give his permission" for the change.  No newspaper notification, nothing else.  $70, about 5 minutes before a judge, and my husband's "permission."

After receiving the certified court document, I went to Social Security and DMV and changed my info there.  No big deal.  

I guess the law here in Canada it's different

My friend was changing her entire name, first, middle and surname so maybe that also complicates it?

Dunno,  I just remember it going on for months and the publishing in 2 newspapers

• Useful 2
3 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Were they legally able to force someone to work if the spouse didn't agree?  It's none of their danged business either way!

Not sure, just that there was an alternative procedure if there was an uncooperative spouse. Yeah, I could have named someone else beneficiary- would I still need my husband’s permission? I know I couldn’t file for retirement without his signature and I think that’s wrong. 

• Love 1
(edited)

There is a thread on TLCsisterwives reddit of a woman who grew up in Cedar City and has to return there to take care of her aging parents. She is going to stay at the Parowan B&B for 10 nights and post about it. Thought I should let you guys know!

Mods, I hope it is okay to post the link - if not, please remove thank you: https://www.reddit.com/r/TLCsisterwives/comments/fbwr4e/maris_bb_should_i_go_and_spill_the_tea/

Edited by Teafortwo
added link
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
15 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Can you provide a link?  I found the subreddit, but not the thread.  Thanks!

Added it to my previous post. It got buried in the subreddit by so many newer topics. Basically everyone is like "yeah, go!"

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Teafortwo said:

Added it to my previous post. It got buried in the subreddit by so many newer topics. Basically everyone is like "yeah, go!"

That thread's been fun.  It was me, under my reddit name that advised her to avoid the pee-stained "ghost" chair.

• LOL 9
2 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

That thread's been fun.  It was me, under my reddit name that advised her to avoid the pee-stained "ghost" chair.

💗 I knew there was some crossover between there and here. There's so much commentary on that site, though - it's overwhelming. I don't have an account - not yet anyway - so I just read looking for nuggets like this one.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Teafortwo said:

There is a thread on TLCsisterwives reddit of a woman who grew up in Cedar City and has to return there to take care of her aging parents. She is going to stay at the Parowan B&B for 10 nights and post about it. Thought I should let you guys know!

Mods, I hope it is okay to post the link - if not, please remove thank you: https://www.reddit.com/r/TLCsisterwives/comments/fbwr4e/maris_bb_should_i_go_and_spill_the_tea/

Ten nights? I'd be bored out of my mind.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

me too.... and why announce that you're going and that your booking will be for 10 nights... Bonnie and Meri will know who she is the minute they arrive..... maybe she's hoping to get special treatment.

I would have gone and then posted about it after the fact.

• Love 8
10 hours ago, Kyanight said:

Kody would.  
Kya, your input here is so valuable.  Thank you for sharing so much. 

• Love 6
19 hours ago, Kyanight said:

Honestly - what is the POINT of this show?  It's a married guy and his girlfriends.  They certainly are NOT sister wives - regardless of whether they all believe themselves married to Kody or not.   I think that a certain percentage of the viewers got invested with this family years ago, and that's why they are still presenting new seasons.  It's like the freaking Truman show.  People watched him as he was born and then watched him his entire life until he was an adult/married man and they would have continued to watch (zzz.z.z.z.z..z..) until the day he died if he hadn't become "aware".  lol

Okay. Okay. How many of us watch the show while clutching a pillow with Kody's face on it?

• LOL 8
12 minutes ago, Roslyn said:

Okay. Okay. How many of us watch the show while clutching a pillow with Kody's face on it?

:::::JUMPING UP AND DOWN::::: I DO!!  I DO!!  I have tried to SMOTHER myself with it at least 22 times per episode, but I keep passing out and dropping the pillow before I can actually put myself out of my misery!

• LOL 15
51 minutes ago, Roslyn said:

Nope.  Couldn't pay me to watch this crap. It just encourages TLC to keep renewing it.  And validating to the Browns that they are endlessly fascinating. 

Pass.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Teafortwo said:

💗 I knew there was some crossover between there and here. There's so much commentary on that site, though - it's overwhelming. I don't have an account - not yet anyway - so I just read looking for nuggets like this one.

I read, but I don't participate since I think most of the people active on that sub are Brown fans/syncophants/apologists. I like it here!

• Love 7
1 minute ago, DakotaJustice said:

I read, but I don't participate since I think most of the people active on that sub are Brown fans/syncophants/apologists. I like it here!

I was talking to someone in private messages yesterday and I was thinking about this board and the people here... and I suddenly realized just how respectful everyone is (for the most part).  Sometimes I will express an "out there" opinion and then I click on "Submit Reply" and sort of cringe when I wonder if I will push someone's buttons and how they will react... but everyone is pretty decent! 

For awhile I posted on the Facebook polygamy boards but there are some outright VICIOUS/MEAN/VINDICTIVE people out there, and BOY do they come apart if you say something they don't agree with.  I even had both my Facebook page and my email account hacked - something which has NEVER happened to me in 20+ years of being online, since I don't go to many websites to speak of or click on links, etc.  It only happened when one person on the board went NUTS - and quite a few OTHER people that she pissed off were hacked at the same time, as well.  

If you piss off an obsessed Brown fan - beware!  lol

• LOL 2
  • Love 7

They are also very misinformed. That sub is growing exponentially and it seems like there are a LOT of new viewers (maybe why the ratings are up) and those newbies seem to get their information from all of the online celebrity clickbait sites and then spread it like wildfire as truth.

1 hour ago, Kyanight said:

For awhile I posted on the Facebook polygamy boards but there are some outright VICIOUS/MEAN/VINDICTIVE people out there, and BOY do they come apart if you say something they don't agree with.  I even had both my Facebook page and my email account hacked - something which has NEVER happened to me in 20+ years of being online, since I don't go to many websites to speak of or click on links, etc.  It only happened when one person on the board went NUTS - and quite a few OTHER people that she pissed off were hacked at the same time, as well.  

Facebook is the place for more knock down, drag out fights by Those Waiting to Be Offended.  I can't believe how many adult people there are armed and ready to fight to the death over how others choose to make soap, candles, pottery, knit, crochet, garden, grow vegetables, not grow vegetables, cook vegetables, bake, dress, spell, believe, not believe.  Pretty much any subject you can think of and there are people ready to tell you just how W R O N G you are doing it.

• LOL 5
  • Love 7
21 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

She's only going to sleep there and spend the days in Cedar City with her parents - she wrote that her hubby is allergic to her folks' cat so they can't stay over.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Kyanight said:

I was talking to someone in private messages yesterday and I was thinking about this board and the people here... and I suddenly realized just how respectful everyone is (for the most part).  Sometimes I will express an "out there" opinion and then I click on "Submit Reply" and sort of cringe when I wonder if I will push someone's buttons and how they will react... but everyone is pretty decent! 

Ha. I don’t even remember what I posted, but man was I jumped on. I was called insane, stupid, “monogamist” (like it’s a bad thing) by all these middle aged ladies fangirling to be Kody’s next wife.  I am middle aged too, so no shade...but they were hilarious in the pile-on.  
I am a horrible monogamist who clearly is insane, ya’ll.   

• LOL 12
8 hours ago, Roslyn said:

They are also very misinformed. That sub is growing exponentially and it seems like there are a LOT of new viewers (maybe why the ratings are up) and those newbies seem to get their information from all of the online celebrity clickbait sites and then spread it like wildfire as truth.

Facebook is the place for more knock down, drag out fights by Those Waiting to Be Offended.  I can't believe how many adult people there are armed and ready to fight to the death over how others choose to make soap, candles, pottery, knit, crochet, garden, grow vegetables, not grow vegetables, cook vegetables, bake, dress, spell, believe, not believe.  Pretty much any subject you can think of and there are people ready to tell you just how W R O N G you are doing it.

And this is a big reason I left Facebook. 

19 minutes ago, Meowwww said:

Ha. I don’t even remember what I posted, but man was I jumped on. I was called insane, stupid, “monogamist” (like it’s a bad thing) by all these middle aged ladies fangirling to be Kody’s next wife.  I am middle aged too, so no shade...but they were hilarious in the pile-on.  
I am a horrible monogamist who clearly is insane, ya’ll.   

Was that the page that was moderated by Robyn's former friend Kendra?

1 hour ago, Teafortwo said:

She's only going to sleep there and spend the days in Cedar City with her parents - she wrote that her hubby is allergic to her folks' cat so they can't stay over.

I still wouldn't hand over $1500 ($150 a night x 10 with taxes) to Meri. I'd spend maybe ONE night there.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

Was that the page that was moderated by Robyn's former friend Kendra?

""I didn't say that! I was hacked!!""

""...and also...I have cancer...""

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 3/3/2020 at 1:05 PM, Zahdii said:

Hah! My parents worked together for the last five years of their working life. I was sure they'd end up divorced. They didn't but when he retired, my dad went out and got a "fun job" that he loved.

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Does anybody recognize the family in this article as being ANYTHING like what we see on TV?

Which one is true?  The TV family of actors, or the people in the article?

Neither is true.  Both are glossed over rainbow sprinkle appearances for the public.

Kody is holed up at Robyns, everyone else is one their own.  

• Love 10