Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

Interesting. Sean Christopher can be given outs to do other projects while still on Days, but Jason Cook wasn't allowed the same. Not that I'm complaining now I'm liking Brandon as Shawn but still.

I think it depends on the situation.  This is one of the benefits to the actors by them shooting so far in advance.  I think it depends on when the TPTB are using you and depending on the storyline.  Christopher Sean taking 3-5 days off every once in a while to shoot a guest star on a highly rated show when Days isn't using him as much is different than Jason wanting the same most likely at a time when they would need him. 

• Love 1

More news and Josh Griffith stories and when we'll see Quigley's stuff premiere from Jason47 F/B:

SOAP OPERA DIGEST CONFIRMS THAT RYAN QUAN WILL REPLACE JOSH GRIFFITH AS ONE OF THE HEAD WRITERS OF "DAYS"...

Soap Opera Digest is reporting that long-time staff writer Ryan Quan is replacing Josh Griffith as one of the head writers of "Days of Our Lives." Dena Higley will remain as the other head writer. Griffith had been with "Days" since last February.

"Days" has released this statement on the change: “Days of our Lives is pleased to announce that staff writer Ryan Quan has joined co-head writer Dena Higley to form a new head writing team. Josh Griffith has left the show to pursue other projects and interests, and we wish him the best.”

"Days" is supposed to be going on a production hiatus for most of March, so Griffith's material will probably air into September, and Quan's material should probably debut on-air in either September or October.

Ryan Shigeru Quan graduated from UCLA in 1999 and started off his soap career by winning Procter & Gamble's writing contest for college students. Quan was the writers' assistant for "Passions" from 1999-2005 and served as the show's website coordinator from 2005-2007. He joined "Days of Our Lives" on April 3, 2007 as the show's writers' assistant. He started doing double duty as a dialogue writer from September 2008-November 2008 and September 2009-March 2011. Quan has been doing double duty as both a breakdown writer and writers' assistant since September 2011. He won his first Daytime Emmy Award in 2012 and has been nominated a total of four times (2011, 2012, 2014, 2015). Quan, 38, was born on September 9, 1977 in Los Angeles, California.

Here's a list of the 50 scripts that new head writer Ryan Quan wrote for "Days" from 2008-2011:

2008: (9)

9/12, 9/15, 9/26, 9/29 (4)

10/6, 10/7, 10/15, 10/31 (4)

11/5 (1)

2009: (13)

9/11, 9/25 (2)

10/2, 10/15, 10/30 (3)

11/9, 11/13, 11/24 (3)

12/2, 12/11, 12/21, 12/28, 12/31 (5)

2010: (22)

1/14, 1/25, 1/29 (3)

2/12 (1)

3/15, 3/29 (2)

4/14 (1)

5/3, 5/18 (2)

6/1, 6/8, 6/17 (3)

7/16 (1)

8/4, 8/19 (2)

9/9 (1)

10/5, 10/19 (2)

11/9, 11/24 (2)

12/15, 12/27 (2)

2011: (6)

1/19, 1/28 (2)

2/7, 2/21 (2)

3/4, 3/17 (2)

Well that gives me some breathing room. I was afraid that he would leave the show in limbo before then. So get ready for Quigley's stuff when the renewal kicks in after the Olympics.

We're going to find out that Andre is a hermaphrodite who is pregnant with Stefano's son.

Even though Kayla was always the Brady child who most resembled her father, it will be revealed that just like her former bestie, Celeste, Caroline had an affair with Stefano that produce Kayla. Upon discovering her true heritage, Kayla will, like her now deceased half-sister, Lexie (I love Renee Jones, so, can't they bring her back, if for no other reason than to appear as an angel for Theo) embrace the Dimera in her. Kayla will curse Caroline for allowing her to be raised above a fish market, drown her mother in chowder and create her own Chucky Zombie Army to get the Dimera fortune which she now rightly views as her away from Belle (when Belle becomes a member of the Chucky Zombie Army, no one will notice the different, in fact all will agree that Belle has shown tremendous growth and compliment her on the change). Knowing that Chad is her younger brother, Kayla will decide (and rightly so) that Abigail is a future Ava and she will eliminate Jennifer's daughter from Chad's life by pouring a vat of honey on Abigail and unleashing a swarm of bees upon her. Kayla will also reactivate Steve and John as programmed killers as punishment for both of them ever thinking that SWMNBN was worth a second glance. While activated, John and Steve will eliminate Brady and everyone connected to the Taniel heart lives in story.

• Love 6

"Days" is supposed to be going on a production hiatus for most of March, so Griffith's material will probably air into September, and Quan's material should probably debut on-air in either September or October.

Seven to eight months from now.  That's fucking ridiculous. 

• Love 3

If they are off in March & August they might be able to catch up on the 5 month (ahead) shooting schedule. In theory, they could cut back on taping (3-4 a week) now in unison with time off. Of course, this depends if this was actually the sticking point for the renewal. Was it ever confirmed that they were changing the taping schedule?

• Love 1

Seven to eight months from now. That's fucking ridiculous.

If they are off in March & August they might be able to catch up on the 5 month (ahead) shooting schedule. In theory, they could cut back on taping (3-4 a week) now in unison with time off. Of course, this depends if this was actually the sticking point for the renewal. Was it ever confirmed that they were changing the taping schedule?

But they also have a break for the Olympics. Plus the current break from production started before the deal was made. They've already pretaped 6 months of ahead in February that will air August.

The show needs to release what their new deal/terms are to the press so a lot of the fandom will stop panicking. My guess when Ryan/Dena's stuff will debut in mid-Sept. which I hope Josh wraps any majors stories before HackHigley returned from her leave (ie - the rape story and Hope one, because god help she finishes those two off, ughhh).

Which brings me to this

NBC wants Days to go back to a traditional film schedule.

"They [NBC] want the show to go back to taping closer to air," says one insider. "The current production model doesn't really give NBC the chance to make notes, or for DAYS to fix story and casting issues that might impact ratings."

"The problem is, " relays another mole. "Going to a more cost effective production model is what saved DAYS."

http://daytimeconfidential.com/2016/02/09/source-nbc-wants-days-to-go-back-to-old-production-model

I just need to know when the possible traditional film schedule will come back. Another guess it would have to start around June or July if say they start filming 2-3 months in advance when the renewal will begin before the 51st season starts

Edited by BlackMamba

Oof.  Another reason this story was a terrible idea.  The boy wasn't mature enough to handle the backlash.  I wonder if his parents, teachers, friends, ever bothered to teach him that no one asks to be raped?  Hopefully he knows that rape isn't about sex but about exercising absolute power over another, and he was just stupidly spouting off.  If not, IDK.  One day the disgusting attitude that women are responsible for the actions of men will no longer be passed down to our children.

Edited by Kitty Redstone
  • Love 4

Dear God. I dont know if its lack of maturity or lack of common sense. I hope someone schooled this kid and explained just because a girl goes along with a kiss means she was asking to be raped. Jesus the absurdity.

Eta: I don't buy his excuse that this was in the thought process of Chase.

Edited by howmanywords
  • Love 4

The actor who plays Clase is in a bit of hot water with fans after saying that Ciara wanted to be raped because she led him on by kissing him and didn't fight back:

http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/100423827.html

The actor has apologized on Twitter and is retweeting his supporters.

https://twitter.com/JonathonMcClen

And people wonder why rape culture persists. I don't know if he was in character (didn't come across that way to me) but far too many young people think this way. This is why I'm so opposed to romanticizing and making rape so easily redeemable. It implies that it is no big deal, and every time shows hype the he say/she say drama, making the women okay with interacting with their rapists and hell, falling in love with and marrying their rapists (soaps in general and Days in particular has a long history of this), they perpetuate these notions, continue to support the violation of woman and prepare the younger set to see nothing problematic in such behavior.

• Love 8

The actor who plays Clase is in a bit of hot water with fans after saying that Ciara wanted to be raped because she led him on by kissing him and didn't fight back:

http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/100423827.html

The actor has apologized on Twitter and is retweeting his supporters.

https://twitter.com/JonathonMcClen

I swear... maybe he's dropping clues about Chase while he was doing his Periscope skit. With him saying it though I wonder will it turn Chase into Todd Manning-lite. Thats exactly how Todd was when he raped Marty. Todd tormented Marty a great deal after the rape and during the trial blowing her kisses while she was on the stand.

I hope that's not how the actor feels. Not going off on the actor if he's trying and attemping convo surrounding the character.

Edited by BlackMamba
  • Love 1

If anyone is interested, the posters at Daytimeroyaltyonline are trying to get Dena fired. They believe their campaign helped get her fired last time and are trying again. Here's the thread: http://daytimeroyaltyonline.com/topic/9273648/1/

It's a long thread, but has interesting quotes from Dena from over the years interspersed throughout.

Also, here's the Twitter account for one of their administrators, who is planning to Tweet live while the east coast show airs tomorrow.    https://twitter.com/lysie1984

You have to check out the Twitter if for no other reason than to see the profile picture. :)

If anyone is interested, the posters at Daytimeroyaltyonline are trying to get Dena fired. They believe their campaign helped get her fired last time and are trying again. Here's the thread: http://daytimeroyaltyonline.com/topic/9273648/1/

It's a long thread, but has interesting quotes from Dena from over the years interspersed throughout.

Also, here's the Twitter account for one of their administrators, who is planning to Tweet live while the east coast show airs tomorrow. https://twitter.com/lysie1984

You have to check out the Twitter if for no other reason than to see the profile picture. :)

As much as I don't like Higley, Im not going to parttake in that. She sucks no question but I'm not interested in getting involved in that.

• Love 2

As much as I don't like Higley, Im not going to parttake in that. She sucks no question but I'm not interested in getting involved in that.

Me either. I don't have a Twitter account.  I don't even have a login at the Daytimeroyalty site, I just lurk.  Also I'm Canadian, so I doubt my opinion would count much anyway. 

Plus, until I started posting here, I even didn't know the names of any of the writers, and since I've only been back watching 18 months or so, this is the first I've been aware of Dena Higley and her writing history.   Hopefully she will work *with* the new writer and they will come up with some good story-lines.  Maybe even with some romance and happiness.  We can dream right. :)

Edited by buffynut

Also, here's the Twitter account for one of their administrators, who is planning to Tweet live while the east coast show airs tomorrow.    https://twitter.com/lysie1984

I lurk over there too just to see what's going on with the cast and spoilers but that administrator and some of the other posters are very negative and think they are more than a fan site. Delusions of grandeur and all that.

I'm glad GV has found another acting gig. I think it's been a big mistake that he wasn't renewed on Days.

• Love 2

I lurk over there too just to see what's going on with the cast and spoilers but that administrator and some of the other posters are very negative and think they are more than a fan site. Delusions of grandeur and all that.

I'm glad GV has found another acting gig. I think it's been a big mistake that he wasn't renewed on Days.

Honestly, I don't. GV seems like a nice guy, but I've never particularly liked his acting, going all the way to when he was on Charmed back in the late 90's. Very pretty, but there's nothing memorable or distinctive about his acting.

I always wished they could have used the guy that played Sammi dressed up as a man as Eric. That would have been hilarious. He was a little scene stealer.

• Love 2

Exactly. And I'm not with the follow the leader bs neither especially when it comes to doing twitter hastags on getting someone fired. Again, Higley sucks when it comes to writing but I will have to see how she works with Quan before I lose my shit.

Exactly. And I'm not with the follow the leader bs neither especially when it comes to doing twitter hastags on getting someone fired. Again, Higley sucks when it comes to writing but I will have to see how she works with Quan before I lose my shit.

I feel the same way. Let's see what Quan and Higley do.

• Love 1

Oh good lord how I couldn't look away when Stan was on the screen.  How original to cover Sami's maternity leave with a male lookalike.    Days used to have a lot of humor and that's why I liked the Vday show, that had some self deprecating humor.  And we got to see Kayla shoot Scarecrow.  Remember the show where they all did movie spoofs and the teen scene made fun of themselves?  There was something about how nobody understood anything Roman said, and long crotch shots on EJ, intentionally so he was in on the joke.  Still spewing my coffee over that episode.

I've not seen enough of Higley's work this time around for me to join the bandwagon calling for her firing. The person I view as the primary culprit of the last 6 months' bad decisions, Josh Griffith, has already left. So I don't see any justification to call for his dismissal.

I hope that's not how the actor feels. Not going off on the actor if he's trying and attemping convo surrounding the character.

Having watched the skit, it's totally obvious that he was in-character since he refers to his character as "me". He also acts (intentionally) crazy by saying "it was a technicality", "she always flirts with me" and so on. In today's episode, Chase was cognizant of the fact that she hadn't wanted sex and that he'd forced it on her. He used the word 'rape' to describe what he'd done and he considered himself a monster. Of course, Andre then started to cajole him with his usual Horton hate speech and whatever self-awareness/guilt was undone, which is what Jonathon was acting out.

McClendon was also interviewed last week where he had this to say about filming the rape scene:

Well since Vivian [Jovanni, who plays Ciara] and I are very close. It was easier than you would expect but it was still hard on both of us. Rape is a very real thing. And it was hard for me to put aside how I felt about it and focus on what Chase wanted. She (Vivian) nailed those scenes.

I'm really uncomfortable with how this "controversy" appears to have been manufactured by certain elements against a teenage actor (note the title of the page where the Periscope is posted - utterly disgusting) and the internet is now unthinkingly rallying to the non-existent "cause". Was it a poorly thought-out skit? Maybe. But it's not grounds for denouncing a young actor as affirming rape culture. He did not.

Edited by Aymery
  • Love 1

I don't keep up on the social media but what disturbed me, writing to be sure, was chase saying it''s what we both want a few times.  I'm grateful they showed very little.  I don't blame either actor at all.  Unpopular but I think she is as confused as Will was and I support her. 

This show is really cheap with sets.

They will repurpose the park/woods/San Francisco/Vatican/DiMeria grounds/Italy set as Abe's house which has a decidedly nature theme. They can say he built a greenhouse or some shit. LOL

• Love 1

This show is really cheap with sets.

They will repurpose the park/woods/San Francisco/Vatican/DiMeria grounds/Italy set as Abe's house which has a decidedly nature theme. They can say he built a greenhouse or some shit. LOL

Corday clinging to his pocketbook. He's a cheap skate!

I will say Tomlin at least made an effort to make the show look nice at times especially when it came to the Dimeras home and the Salem PD. Hell they even won best set production at the Emmys last year.

I hope NBC with the new deal too told them they should make the sets pretty again, lol.

• Love 1

Maybe JM was misunderstood regarding his comments about the rape, but he also smugly said he believes he will win an Emmy for this story.  Someone thinks awfully high of himself. I hope someone knocks his ego down a peg or 2 or 3.

Can we have a source for this comment please?

He said the Emmy comment in one of his Periscopes. I first got wind of the comment in the comments section on Facebook, one of the daytime sites I follow on there. Then a couple of days ago I was reading through Daytime Royalty and others heard it as well

http://daytimeroyaltyonline.com/topic/9273169/20/

I guess he also said "bad publicity is good publicity" unless everyone who heard these comments are lying.

LOL... I hope he doesn't develop a Bryan Craig ego from GH. Bryan Craig was sure he would win the Emmy last year and lost to Freddie Smith. I think JM is coming into his own as actor on Days but he needs to humble himself just a bit.

JM won't win any Emmy this year because he didn't have much material since he was a recast. He will, IMO, will be nominated in 2017 because he has a story same with VJ even though I'm not the biggest fan of hers still. The Emmys have always liked thought provoking and riveting performances especially dealing with sensitive subject matters like rape storylines. The history says so.

Edited by BlackMamba

Really happy for GV, Queen Sugar is a really big project.  Ava Duvernay has been developing it with Oprah after they did Selma together, with Oprah guest staring.  Looking forward to seeing him on it. 

• Love 1

He said the Emmy comment in one of his Periscopes.  I first got wind of the comment in the comments section on Facebook, one of the daytime sites I follow on there. Then a couple of days ago I was reading through Daytime Royalty and others heard it as well

http://daytimeroyaltyonline.com/topic/9273169/20/

I guess he also said "bad publicity is good publicity" unless everyone who heard these comments are lying.

Thanks for clarifying. I can't state where I stand on his alleged comments on winning an Emmy and all publicity being good without actually viewing the Periscopes myself, since it could be a matter of interpretation and, as we saw, I already don't agree with how the DR folks chose to interpret the Chase skit. If he is as big an egomaniac as all that - and really, he hasn't achieved nearly enough to develop such an ego - then I'd be suitably bemused. But I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt since I can't verify for myself and DR forums are not a source I've ever trusted for hearsay.

I do think that JMc was incredibly foolish for not recognizing the pitfalls of doing a comedy skit related to rape. People were already calling for his character to be painfully murdered, so I'm shaking my head at him thinking that poking fun at a rapist's warped mindset would go down well with a soap audience.

• Love 2

I do think that JMc was incredibly foolish for not recognizing the pitfalls of doing a comedy skit related to rape. People were already calling for his character to be painfully murdered, so I'm shaking my head at him thinking that poking fun at a rapist's warped mindset would go down well with a soap audience.

He's 18.

That's wrapped. He's been positing about it. It looks intriguing. I'm a sucker for CM so I'm sure I'll be seeing it.

FWIW: he's got like 4 movies in the can. One is a horror flick that comes out this year.

ETA: who writes that stuff? CM didn't originate the role of Will. That's as bad as letting those twits host the Daytime Emmys a couple of years ago. 

I'm in a mood. I'm sorry. LOL

I should watch some WilSon 1.0 clips to "cheer up."

Edited by swtrgrl
  • Love 1