Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

What the hell is that? They cut certain scenes that could be dicey or have bad feed back for the vets. Yet for months when many viewers were saying "too much Abigail!" Or "end the Dan propping!" Or a big fan base critiquing Will's repugnant turn to cheating and lies and the Sparkle crap or the people tired of the insipid Elephant story ....all of THAT wasn't listened to?!

It is very obvious they don't care about viewers feedback otherwise they wouldn't have trashed AS/Sami's exit and wasted it. She could have went out on such a finer note. Bitch please. I'm supposed to believe a man completely obsessed with her would piss it away cheating with a desperate nincompoop? And that ball buster schemer Sami would be insecure over Jar Jar? And tolerate her fixing her mouth to make fat jokes, insult her intelligence, and slap Sami in her own home?? That's the note they wanted to send her out on. Abby proppification to the max and nasty to do to a character that was front burner kicking other, better women's asses verbally & physically for 20 yrs.

When Sami returned for Will's funeral her chemistry with Lucas was electric, the connection was on fire, and she should have spent so much more time with him and Kate, rather than this EJ shit. Again the story would have written itself and even some quality bits with them would have enriched the show. The writers really are phoning this crap in, yet, I find the show more entertaining than y&r which is just become a D squad version of General Hospital that is sweded by 9 yrs olds.

• Love 8

I can't believe those bastards got rewarded for ruining this show.

How??? Their ratings have been going up since TomSell has been canned and thank god because TomSell didn't have the creative juice no more so much so they were hitting 1.6s by summer of last year. If TomSell was still there Days would had been cancelled as we speak.

• Love 1

How??? Their ratings have been going up since TomSell has been canned and thank god because TomSell didn't have the creative juice no more so much so they were hitting 1.6s by summer of last year. If TomSell was still there Days would had been cancelled as we speak.

I don't care about current ratings. Tomsell did start to ruin things but Higley and company (whoever is really writing this shit) have just demolished every good thing about the show. Murder, death, torture, rape. 

Everyone is entitled to their opinions. I happen to absolutely hate pretty much every storyline and how it has been handled since the switch.

• Love 1

So, Jeff Ballard just posted about Chandler Massey saying that it's good people are still talking about him. In one of the articles he posted, he was quoted as saying, 

‘I’ve been getting quite a few calls about this — so for the record — I can neither confirm nor deny that my former client and good friend, three-time Daytime Emmy Award winning actor Chandler Massey will be returning to his role of Will Horton on Days of our Lives later this year.’ He adds: ‘I guess you will all have to keep watching!!’

I'm not saying it's possible...I'm not saying it isn't. LOL

We all have our fantasies. Mine is Chandler.

If Corday, et al want me to watch again, this would definitely be the way to go.

Edited by swtrgrl
  • Love 1

As we've seen, it's not enough to bring a celebrated actor back. They have to write good stuff for him.

I want him and Will back too...but I don't want Round 2 of "Ponny VS Wonny VS Pill".

Bring back AS for a month, reintroduce Will so we can see his parents rejoice and heal, and do it right. And something decent for him to do after that's all been reestablished.

Otherwise, its all pointless.

• Love 4

If they're trying to get CM back they could've just had Will leave town until a deal was reached with CM or they found someone else. You know, instead of trashing him and then killing him off in the worst serial killer story I've ever seen as a way to prop Crabs. 

• Love 6

What's the difference between the breakdown writers and the script writers? Is the head writer the only person who comes up with storylines or do the other writers have a say?

Breakdown Writer

Dena Higley and Josh Griffith are the headwriters meaning s/he's the creative "geniuses" and "masterminds" behind all the stories we see. S/he comes up with the riveting plots we complain about every day. After s/he pulls an idea, s/he runs it by Corday who then signs off on it. From there, it's the job of the breakdown writers and scriptwriters to take Higiff's story outlines and turn them into actual episodes. The breakdown writers determine what will happen in each segment and scene, I believe, while the scriptwriters pen the actual dialogue.

After the episodes are written, they're turned in to Corday (and Higiff/Meng etc, I guess) who make whatever changes they want to make, and then they're passed on to the directors and actors.

If the dialogue in an episode sucks, you can blame the scriptwriter for that day's episode. You can also blame Higiff/TPTB for signing off on it. If the flow of an episode is disjointed and out of whack, you can probably blame the breakdown writer... and again Higiff/TPTB for signing off on it. If the stories in general are complete crap (which they are), all blame goes to Higiff. You can also blame Corday for signing off on them.

Kenny from DR.

Edited by BlackMamba
  • Love 3

I thought Higley was still on leave?

She is. But she will be back for May sweeps. In the spoiler section, Cosgrove is returning May 31st and Beth/Dena has their names on that episode.

Well the fans who complain about the dark storylines will probably get some "light" soon but as long as Higley is still writing I dont expect any huge improvements especially if she's getting her way. It could explain why Josh Griffith left.

• Love 1

I figured Josh was gone when Jason47 said

Beth would come in for a hot minute ans Jason said he had no scripts for the spring without his name.

I wonder did Higley once again win over creative control like she did with Ed Scott.

http://www.soapoperadigest.com/content/exclusive-behind-scenes-change-days

Wonder if the Chase rapes Ciara storyline played a part in his exit.

This is actually bad for Days because when a lot of the actors talk about the different tone and the positive vibe on set now, Griffth's name was mentioned often. Think about no one to offset the talent void that is Higley. We will be getting TomSell levels of shitty storytelling and the character will be trashed through and through. Kayla will be turning tricks, Chad will be shooting up in an alley, Victor will be abusing Maggie, etc., etc.

• Love 1

Wonder if the Chase rapes Ciara storyline played a part in his exit.

This is actually bad for Days because when a lot of the actors talk about the different tone and the positive vibe on set now, Griffth's name was mentioned often. Think about no one to offset the talent void that is Higley. We will be getting TomSell levels of shitty storytelling and the character will be trashed through and through. Kayla will be turning tricks, Chad will be shooting up in an alley, Victor will be abusing Maggie, etc., etc.

Mhmm. I can't wait til the show goes back to TomSell levels of suck from last year and see all the bitching and whining again.

Me:

xlw4r6.gif

Well, it's safe to say the stories are really going to go down the crapper now.  I don't for the life of me understand why they'd bring Higley back.  They got rid of her for a reason the first time (or however many times she's worked there).  She sucks, to put it bluntly.

• Love 2

Well, it's safe to say the stories are really going to go down the crapper now. I don't for the life of me understand why they'd bring Higley back. They got rid of her for a reason the first time (or however many times she's worked there). She sucks, to put it bluntly.

I swear she has something on Corday. She's been hired three times. And he still allows this woman to piss on his parents legacy. Things that make ya go hmm!!!

• Love 4

"New projects" is just code for "we fired him".

Yep probably right. If that's the spin and say Higley fucks the show up again which is highly likely they could lure him back in again instead of going on the record saying he was simply fired.

I just need for Days to give me a least good year of damn good storytelling. And with the renewal they need to bring it. Sadly won't happen if Higgles is still there. I'm not looking forward to spring and summer once Higley is back on "blessing" us with her dream storylines, psychic visions, and serum cures. And we haven't talked about how she and Ryan Quan will finish off/execute the storylines left behind Griffith. Just ugh!

There is suppose to be a rumored CDC storyline coming too. If it has anything to do with serums and visions that will scream Higley.

Edited by BlackMamba
  • Love 1

DAMN! Ok I'm not crazy about Vivian Jovanni playing Ciara but the fact some fans want her recasted cause she mixed race is pathetic (FYI: I think one of the people who made the comment has actually posted here). I'm ok with them recasting her if she sucks, but if they recast her because some fans want her gone because of the color of her skin is wrong. Plus I don't think Sony and Corday need a massive lawsuit, Sony particularly since the post-Victoria Rowell drama at YR.

http://www.inquisitr.com/2805694/vivian-jovanni-petition-demands-days-of-our-lives-fire-the-new-ciara-brady/

Edited by BlackMamba
  • Love 3

That's ridiculous.

Also stupid. The actor who plays Chase is half Latino. And GG who plays Rafe is Basque, not Latino at all. It's very rare an actor plays the exact ethnicity or nationality or sexual identification of their role.

• Love 3

I can't believe someone would take the time to build an online petition to fire a young woman from a soap. I love social media for the access it gives me to people I admire and to keep up with news -- and to opine in forums like this (hugs thread) -- but the clarion call for haters of every stripe is a HUGE downside. 

I was meh about VJ at first but enjoyed her physical resemblance to both Lauren Bowles and Kristin Alfonso and thought she was a good cast. Sure, a little rough around the edges but they all were at one time. During these past few weeks -- especially this week's awful scenes -- VJ has shown lots of progress and growing comfort with the role. 

People just suck sometimes. 

Edited by Lastwaltz
  • Love 7

Sean Christopher's recurring character on Hawaii 5-0 was killed tonight. He was a bad guy, so he deserved it.

Or maybe he didn't die ...

Interesting. Sean Christopher can be given outs to do other projects while still on Days, but Jason Cook wasn't allowed the same. Not that I'm complaining now I'm liking Brandon as Shawn but still.

• Love 2

Someone asked "Who is Ryan Quan?"

Apparently he has been trained under James Reilly at Passions. Oh this must make Dena Higley excited. She can be the event writer and he can come up with the over-the-top stories we saw in the Reilly years. I swear if I see any Timothy's or Tabithas, microchips, doppelgangers etc in Salem, soapgods help us. Here seems to be the other staff writers they could had chose all have worked for Guiding Light except two:

vyw5j9.jpg

https://twitter.com/Collegebound973/status/700465702650699777

Just getting around to commenting on the writer changes.  Assuming the speculation is right, and that Josh wrote the Sep-Nov shows and Dena the Dec-Feb shows, and Josh the Mar and onward shows, I do prefer Josh's writing, even with the darkness.   Not sure if it is here or the other forum that refers to characters being in "bubbles" but once Josh's writing shows up characters start communicating with more people and that I enjoy.  So once he's gone again...

• Love 2

Since Ryan Quan is not one of the same old hacks being recycled from one soap to the next with their limited bag of plots and plot points, I'm very curious about his vision and capabilities.  I'd be a lot more hopeful If Dena Higley wasn't still co-head writer, though.  I'm worried about her influence with Ken Corday. 

Just getting around to commenting on the writer changes. Assuming the speculation is right, and that Josh wrote the Sep-Nov shows and Dena the Dec-Feb shows, and Josh the Mar and onward shows, I do prefer Josh's writing, even with the darkness. Not sure if it is here or the other forum that refers to characters being in "bubbles" but once Josh's writing shows up characters start communicating with more people and that I enjoy. So once he's gone again...

Yeah I agree! For example, I actually find Rafe enjoyable when hes written under Josh Griffith. Just look at Wednesday and Thursdays episodes. Like there is a swagger or a cocky arrogance about him. When Rafe is written under anyone else I can't get into the character much he becomes dull, bland and lifeless. Now that JG is leaving milk toast Rafe might be back. One can assume though since this Ryan cat worked on Passions he will actually know how to write for GG and the rest of them.

Since Ryan Quan is not one of the same old hacks being recycled from one soap to the next with their limited bag of plots and plot points, I'm very curious about his vision and capabilities.

I'm like you that I am curious so I will give him a chance. Yet since he trained under Reilly at Passions that should give one room to pause too. I pray he doesn't do a lot of crazy, over the top stories Reilly use to but still has the creative follow through in every story.

What I need from Days/Quigley:

-they need to do more romance/passion (because fans have been creaming and fussing for this). there needs to be at least 2 couples, at a time, every few episodes having "love in the afternoon," cute moments and sexy time while other stories are happening.

-humor needs to come back/get these characters smiling again. crying and sadness is a part of soaps but Days has done overkill.

-take the characters out the country like the other soaps still do

-of course action scenes but beats needing to be hit before it happens

-fix the editing! I'm tired of Andre being at Dimera Manor and gets to the Salem PD in a matter of seconds.

-stop doing psychics/dream escapism (this is mine) not just with Caroline but all the characters are apparently becoming psychic friends (please fucking stop this, stop being lazy)

-stop making Daniel Jonas the centerpiece of the show and hes dead

-and give the current stories and future ones good execution and follow through. PLUS STOP FORGETTING HISTORY AND CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT

Edited by BlackMamba
  • Love 3