Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

I would rather see Belle and Chloe back as friends.  I miss when Days would allow their female characters to have friends and make those relationships just as nuanced and strong as the romantic ones.

Not that I don't love Theresa, but I have always thought it would be great to have Chloe and Brady back together again.  In a weird way it would be like a new relationship.  When they were together originally it was all about them being head over heels in love goody two shoes characters.  Now both characters are a lot more gray.  It would be nice to see them come together as these brand new people who have both been through the ringer so to speak and are much more adults now who have been around the block since the last time they were married.

• Love 3

I would rather see Belle and Chloe back as friends. I miss when Days would allow their female characters to have friends and make those relationships just as nuanced and strong as the romantic ones.

Not that I don't love Theresa, but I have always thought it would be great to have Chloe and Brady back together again. In a weird way it would be like a new relationship. When they were together originally it was all about them being head over heels in love goody two shoes characters. Now both characters are a lot more gray. It would be nice to see them come together as these brand new people who have both been through the ringer so to speak and are much more adults now who have been around the block since the last time they were married.

Me too!

• Love 2

If anyone saw SNL last night they had a new character named Deenie show up on Weekend Update.  She was talking about her soap using nicknames that she'd been watching for 30 years and didn't know the characters' names.  So I'm on the edge of my seat.  I wasn't expecting anything as brilliant as what John Oliver did, but the only soap mentioned was Y&R and the nickhames were all made up.  Damn, SNL.  Remember your last NBC soap that just celebrated its 50th anniversary?  It would have been brilliant and the joke would have been more than about she eats out of tupperware.  A gift to soap lovers and haters alike.

• Love 4

Jen Lilly was on AfterBuzz today, and she said that when she first met Martha Madison, she fell in love with her and they became best friends forever.

They were talking about Brian Dattilo not being on for several days and how he's going to be appearing on the online soap Youthful Daze, and one of the AfterBuzz hosts said, "So, if you want to know why he hasn't been on Days, it's because he's been doing Youthful Daze."  And Jen (who is also on Youthful Daze), said "No, he's doing Youthful Daze because they aren't using him on Days."

She said that next week's shows are going to be great.

• Love 3

Martha Madison and Jen Lilley have some similar interests. Marsha owns a restaurant and Jen's mom has a baking business and Jen herself has done baking and catering for $. In fact she made a few couples wedding cakes for cash when she was younger. Also they're both married.

• Love 2

Not surprised. Crystal Chappell almost filed a sexual harassment suit against him. Kristian Alfonso didn't like him neither which ultimately was the last straw for him which lead to Peter Reckell being brought back.

I wasn't a huge Days fan one of my best friends was but I was hooked on the Carly/Bo/Lawrence triangle in the 90's.  I loved RKK and was so disappointed to find out he was basically a serial sexual harasser. I heard he even threw a chair at the actress who played Amanda on AW due to his drug induced temper.  Its unreal how well they keep this stuff hidden from the public back in the day. Actors must miss that privacy. 

According to some gossip I read years ago it got so bad Michael Sabatino went after him backstage after he felt up Crystal in a scene.

The only other gossip I have heard that I sounded like it was possibly BS was that DD Hall was a lesbian and had been involved with Jane Elliot for years.

I tuned out for good a few years ago when they made Chloe's baby Dan's instead of Philips. If they ever fix that I might come back. The behind the scenes stuff is more entertaining that than what is on the screen. 

• Love 1

RSW just posted a pic of he and VI behind the scenes (not together in real scenes) and teased

that Ben may or not be back for real...so probably Abbi hallucinations or ghost haunting, etc... not him escaping jail, I hope.

• Love 1

The only other gossip I have heard that I sounded like it was possibly BS was that DD Hall was a lesbian and had been involved with Jane Elliot for years.

Really?? Dee has always given me those vibes especially late in the years since her last divorce. Never knew about Jane though. Interesting tea.

Dee and Crystal Chappell didn't like each other. Rumor has it, CC and Dee were competing over leading lady status when Dee came back after the cancellation of Our House. Since Dee had more autonomy on Days, CC got the boot eventually. When CC was brought back in 2009 after the GL cancellation, but I think not only to have job and for the show to capitalize on CC'S new found popularity post-lesbian character status, but because Deidre was fired from Days for at least two years - perfect timing, nope.

CC also had problems with KA too. Fan wars, social media and whatever happened during filmings they didn't get along nor like each other. CC went as far as making some shady tweets about KA that fans picked up on but KA remained classy and said nothing in retaliation especially when one CC's friends who works in the business said "when Days gets cancelled you blame the anorexic hair model" and the KA fans assumed he was talking KA. CC tried to defuse the situation and I think a lesser degree PR (whom back in the 80s use to make comments about KA's weight when she was a beautiful voluptuous woman) but the damage was done. Because between that, the bad writing of Carly the second go around and Deidre and Drake getting called back to return CC got the boot again.

Funny pics of how CC was all leaned forward away from KA as if she hated being in her presence at a 45th Days book signing

Edited by BlackMamba
  • Love 1

I read back in the day that CC admitted to going through some depression drinking and/or drugs to explain her behaviour.  As a PR pairing I liked her better than Billie although I didn't like the way she forced herself into the home and had to be rescued from herself by PR.  OK I sort of liked Billie too.  She made me forget PR was on the screen.  When I realised how much I really really dislike PR I began to like Hope.  Except for the Gina with an accent shit. 

I think all the Bo torture scenes that went on for a month were probably shot in a day and Corday isn't above retaliation and destroying storylines.  PR as I understand wouldn't take the pay cut everyone else did and that's why he walked away. 

Edited by QuelleC

I read back in the day that CC admitted to going through some depression drinking and/or drugs to explain her behaviour. As a PR pairing I liked her better than Billie although I didn't like the way she forced herself into the home and had to be rescued from herself by PR. OK I sort of liked Billie too. She made me forget PR was on the screen. When I realised how much I really really dislike PR I began to like Hope. Except for the Gina with an accent shit.

I think all the Bo torture scenes that went on for a month were probably shot in a day and Corday isn't above retaliation and destroying storylines. PR as I understand wouldn't take the pay cut everyone else did and that's why he walked away.

PR/KA took the first paycut back in 2008 or 2009. That was why Deidre and Drake got fired because they didn't want to see their 1-2M a year gig being cut in half even if it meant saving the show at the time.

PR left the show back in 2012 because of money and he hated the direction where the Bo character was going because of TomSell.

• Love 1

LOL my mom was away for a few days so she caught up on a few episodes in one day. She called me up and said "this Phillip, is this the boy that played Rex on One Life To Live"? I said yes mom, thats him". She said "well hes still lousy, do you think they'll get rid of him if enough people complain"? Heh.

• Love 4

LOL my mom was away for a few days so she caught up on a few episodes in one day. She called me up and said "this Phillip, is this the boy that played Rex on One Life To Live"? I said yes mom, thats him". She said "well hes still lousy, do you think they'll get rid of him if enough people complain"? Heh.

Mom knows best. Always.

• Love 1

Does anyone know why Jay Kenneth Johnson didn't reprise the role of Philip? I can't stand this recast.

If it was mentioned earlier in the thread, or I should have posted this elsewhere, apologies, dealing with massive headache.

This is a good question, and I am sure he could shave his duck dynasty beard etc.  He was popular, right?  Why would they not bring him back?

That is an awesome pic, and lol about what your mom said, howmanywords.

If he doesn't want to shave they could just write it into a green story and bring him back for stories in April when NBC Universal does their green month stuff for Earth Day. Although with the taping schedule we are probably too late for that...

But man alive, this new guy stinks. And he's arrogant without the charm. Boo.

• Love 1

Bringing over from Current Plots thread:

Yes, Lisa, me too (well, not the leaving but I'm with you in spirit, lol). The part I picked up on between Stephen and Mary Beth in this interview was their pre-taping practice of just centering themselves in their characters by looking into each other's eyes. I have to say I'm glad I'm not married to an actor -- that degree of intimacy with someone else may be hard to deal with. But I'm sure glad it works for them!

Obviously it must not bother their respective spouses all that much since both have 30+ year marriages. As far as MBE's husband is concerned she has said in interviews that he tries to detach himself from her soap work which, considering some of the risque things S&K got past the TV censors back in the day, was probably the healthy attitude to take. Likewise, I doubt SN's wife, who is herself involved in the acting/screenwriting world, takes issue with it either.

From an acting standpoint they have always mentioned how well they sparked from the start, but even beyond the professional, they talk about knowing what's going on in each other's lives/families. There's a level of comfort and connection that probably just stems from their long-lasting friendship. I doubt it's romantic otherwise they wouldn't joke about texting selfies to each other first thing in the morning trying to prove which one looks the worst as they're working through their lines. From a selfish standpoint, I'm thrilled that they have that offscreen kinship as I think they are able to connect with each other on the screen in a way that is unusually natural and realistic.

Edited by NumberCruncher
  • Love 6

Oh, me, too, Numbercruncher. I just marvel at their ability to be so intimate with someone else, I think.  I'm not talking about the kissing and stuff; actually, that eye-to-eye/soul-to-soul connection they describe is even more intimate in my mind. I knew that Mary Beth had been married for a long time, but I didn't know that Stephen has been in a long marriage, too. That makes them even more appealing : )

Edited by Lastwaltz
  • Love 5

Again, bringing something non-current plots related from that thread:

I can see why the media wants to create a supercouple. With soaps dying, they don't have the time or luxury to build years of a super couple. The fact Chad and Abby have been on this push-pull-angst from since spring is pretty rare and long for shows now that have instant relations appear out of nowhere. B&B's Maya and Rick were brought up, they were together and basically had no angst at all. The angst they should have had with her being transgender he got over in a few episodes. Ridge and Caroline, her sleeping with his son and being pregnant with his child Ridge got over in hours, her being married to Rick was also a blip on their radar. 

Billy Flynn was even told in an interview and asked about how Chad&Abby are a supercouple. So the media definitely wants to take them there, but Corday doesn't believe in them so I think the media are just hyping them up because of the angst-push-pull they've had these past 6 months with Ben/pregnancy and whether anyone wants to believe it or not, they are actually very popular and the storyline has created a lot of attention for Chad&Abby.

Honestly, I don't see the push/pull with them though--which is where are lot of the Chabby criticism here is coming from. I know that for me, what I saw throughout the whole Ben/pregnancy thing was a woman who wasn't really preferring one man over another right up until the murder reveal. Regarding her relationships with Chad and Ben, Abby was wishy-washy at best and manipulative at worst. She supposedly didn't love Ben (and her motivations for being with him were ridiculous anyway but I digress) yet she still had no problem sleeping with him every 5 minutes and leaving viewers with the impression that she had no reservations about doing so. She and Chad would have their occasional "moments" together, but when Ben would confront her about them, she would immediately jump into bed with him again. How that demonstrated her unrequited love for Chad was quite frankly beyond me and it certainly didn't hint of anything remotely resembling supercouple writing where you would clearly knew a couple desperately wanted to be with each other despite the odds working against them.

If the media is playing up the supercouple angle then I say good for them, but I think they are not only wrong, but also fighting a losing battle. That formula isn't going to save soaps because as I mentioned in another post, viewership habits have just changed too much. If they really want to keep viewers they should be focusing on fixing problematic characters (which includes Abby, IMO) and telling good stories rather than writing around whom they think will be the next big pairing.

Edited by NumberCruncher
  • Love 5

Honestly, I don't see the push/pull with them though--which is where are lot of the Chabby criticism here is coming from. I know that for me, what I saw throughout the whole Ben/pregnancy thing was a woman who wasn't really preferring one man over another right up until the murder reveal. Regarding her relationships with Chad and Ben, Abby was wishy-washy at best and manipulative at worst

There's been nothing but pushing and pulling. She was jealous of Jordan/He was using Jordan. All the Ben/Chad fights/bitterness when she'd defend one or the other or run to Chad when Ben punched him.  Abby wanting and running to be there for Chad through his family drama while she was dating Ben. Her opening up to him about JJ/Eve drama still while she was with Ben but not opening up to Ben. Then they give into feelings, then we have his pushing her away because of Stefano. Her hating him during this time. His changing him mind and opening up to her with Will's help only to have Abby find out she's pregnant at the same time. The doctored DNA results that ended up with her choosing the one she didn't want, which Kayla and Will called her on because to DAYS writers it's old days of raising a family.Then for months Abby's  sole focus been defending, harboring and trying to help exonerate Chad from murders she insisted he could never do when he didn't think he was innocent. Then they flip that and have Chad spend a month trying to save her. To then have Andre brainwash him and Abby again have to fight to save him and now Chad's brainwashed and finding out he's the father. 

Most of Abby's pregnancy (she went from 2 months to 6 months in no time flat) they showed as the killer storyline, where she clearly was focused on Chad. Instead of showing up to her wedding planner meetings or meet with the vendors she was out trying to clear Chad's name. Then would claim she was at work. The majority of the pregnancy the stalker app was on her phone and it always caught her with Chad. 

So I'm not sure how anyone couldn't clearly see the writing direction or the push/pull angst. 

• Love 1

So I'm not sure how anyone couldn't clearly see the writing direction or the push/pull angst.

Maybe because for all those things you mentioned re: Abby showing love for Chad, she was still making declarations of love towards Ben, accepting his proposal to marry him, and continuing to sleep with him willingly. My point wasn't that she didn't love Chad, but she was hardly showing us she didn't love Ben just as much. That's not a push/pull with a clear choice on her part...it was being written as a classic TV love triangle which isn't anything like a conventional soap supercouple arc.

Again, for me, I didn't see her all-consuming Chad love at play. I saw a woman making silly choices and leading both men on which is why I don't like the character.

• Love 4

Did Abifail love Chad when she was with Cameron? Did she love him when she dumped him after the brain tumor crap? Did she love him when she was fucking his brother and begging to be his mistress? Did she love him when she was telling Jordan how awful he was? 

• Love 7

OMG!!!  My Eyes!!!  That picture is just cruel.

One of the biggest mistakes soap writers make, is trying to spar with the fans on social media.  They are not going to win a Twitter War.  If a viewer doesn't like a character, couple, or SL, they won't change their mind.  If a fan likes a character, telling them they are wrong for liking that character, will just make the fan angry.

Soaps used to be able to organically move characters from one stage to another.  There is a reason that Roman/Marlena, Roman/Anna, John/Marlena, John/Isabella, Bo/Hope, Steve/Kayla, etc. had children.  It was so those characters could eventually be brought to the show, and their relationships with their parents and each other could be explored.

On Guiding Light, Rick, Phillip, and Beth started out as the younger set, and moved on to being parents, and in some cases grandparents.

On OLTL, Kevin, Joey, and Jessica were shown being born, becoming teenagers, and then adults.  Unfortunately, the writers then began to royally screw things up.

On AMC, Erica Kane, who caused all kinds of chaos, eventually had to deal with a daughter (Kendall) who was a lot like her, and a daughter (Bianca) who didn't want to be anything like her.

Soap weren't just about people jumping into bed with anyone who crossed their path.  There used to be friendships and family relationships that drove SLs.

• Love 11

Brad Everett Young, the photographer who has photographed a lot of the Days stars, tweeted this the other day:

When ur on a plane & the lady next 2 u says 'I'm sorry, I know who u are, can u tell me if @billymflynn is nice in real life he's my fav!'

• Love 1

Spoilers are by nature something discussed in media and conveyed by someone in a place where it's known others don't seek out that kind of media. I'm not sure what the press means anymore. Still, great news. I can't blame anyone for being excited to share it! 

• Love 1

I thought the old school rule was that casting ISN'T a spoiler. 

Mainly b/c they could recast Abby, kill her, send her off, etc... you don't know what's happening story-wise...just that the actor is leaving.

Edited by swtrgrl
  • Love 3

I think that's technically true since on the movie threads months before it comes out they discuss who's directing and starring.

Or before a RH season it's common practice to say who's coming back and who was fired before the episodes air.

I've read that in the SOD. Seems like Jason might have wanted might have wanted more money and also outs to do projects. Sony and Days probably couldn't reach an agreement so they didn't with JC. Seems like all business to me.

I can just hope Brandon's acting has improved since the last I saw him on Days. On Bold, he didn't need to do much but be the boy toy who was shirtless most of the time so that didn't require much acting talent.