Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

Don't you think that the character of Kristen is played out? I think it is very lazy for the same villains to keep coming back ..The writers are not creating new villains  for the new generation..Emma was a villain in the 80's and the writers had the good sense to write her off in a spectacular way...They did not create stupid ways for her to come back to torture Kim and Shane...The Dimeras should stay dead with Tony and Benjy being the exception to that...

I think this is the problem. In addition, I have no basis to believe that any return by Kristen at this point would be anything but more cartoonish and absurd than ever. These writers are clearly unfamiliar with the law of diminishing returns. (And also with the basic principles of story structure and the rules of narrative logic, but, what can you do?)

• Love 3

Eileen just brings out the best performances in those around her though. It's a shame the series didn't let her wed Brady and have a more slow burn breakdown. The writing definitely undermined the long-term potential...

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 1

Personally... I think Bristen was doomed from pretty much the very beginning. There was no way they were ever going to last, not with Brady's family opposing his union with Kristen, and also with Kristen being batshit crazy herself, I think Kristen was going to destroy the relationship no matter what because she was that unstable. Brady never should have considered taking Kristen back especially after she basically raped Eric, who was a priest. That should've been a major deal breaker. Not to mention that she stole his own firstborn son from his mother's womb. If that isn't fucked up, I don't know what is. I don't care what her reasoning is. If I were Brady, I'd never want anything to do with Kristen ever again for those two incidents alone. 

Edited by Braniac Woman
  • Love 4

Eileen just brings out the best performances in those around her though. It's a shame the series didn't let her wed Brady and have a more slow burn breakdown. The writing definitely undermined the long-term potential...

I feel that Kristen as a character is played out and the show uses the Dimera too much..They should have been a distant memory. They should all be dead...We need new villains to torment the heroes and heroines of Salem...Clyde was so refreshing as a villain, he did not rely on brainwashing and replacing people with their exact double or outlandish schemes. He was a pure psychopath that enjoyed being bad and having power over people. However, the show took him too far...Villains should be short-term, add to the plot and leave when they are no longer needed. They should never drive stories like the Dimeras have for far too long. It diminishes the heroes in the long run..It made no sense that the Brady family and the rest of Salem would be okay with a Dimera living there. They would always be a threat...

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 3

I am just over all the ass kissing online by KM’s costars making it out like she is the next Vivian Leigh, Katharine Hepburn, Elizabeth Taylor, Grace Kelly, and Meryl Streep all rolled into the most fabulous actress to ever grace the hallways of “Days of Our Lives” and our screens. She ain’t all that (I’m Southern, and sometimes ain’t is the only word that can be used). There was a lot of praise for her during the cabin scenes and I spent more time laughing over her acting. I’ve been watching off and on this week and still don’t get all the praise. RSW, CM, BF, and even the baby playing Thomas, have had more emotion and more facial movement than KM can even think about conjuring up. I want to like the storyline because it is the beginning of the end of KM’s storyline, but I just can’t get over her lack of an ability to act. Then to see everyone praising her online just makes me so frustrated. But I also wonder, are all these people praising her because she is beginning to realize she can’t act (nah, she’s probably not that perceptive). I’m really hoping whoever the new Abby is, that Billy Flynn realizes how weak KM really is an actress and how much of the storyline he has had to carry.

• Love 6

I agree that Brady would have had no reason to speak to Kristen after she raped Eric and it is true that the DiMera's have been used as a crutch on this show. As much as I hated Clyde, the actor playing him was terrific and it's a shame the writers didn't find better ways to use him and a better way to write him off the show.

It stinks that neither one of our lead suspects for the Anniversary Murders, Eric or Daniel, ended up becoming a villain because that at least would have been somewhat interesting.

Most of the villains/baddies of the last few years - Eve, Clyde, Ben, Ava, Andre, Chase - have been woefully written into narrative corners.

• Love 1

I agree that Brady would have had no reason to speak to Kristen after she raped Eric and it is true that the DiMera's have been used as a crutch on this show. As much as I hated Clyde, the actor playing him was terrific and it's a shame the writers didn't find better ways to use him and a better way to write him off the show.

It stinks that neither one of our lead suspects for the Anniversary Murders, Eric or Daniel, ended up becoming a villain because that at least would have been somewhat interesting.

Most of the villains/baddies of the last few years - Eve, Clyde, Ben, Ava, Andre, Chase - have been woefully written into narrative corners.

Daniel being the serial killer would have been gold.....His God complex coupled with his need to have power over women would have been fascinating to watch...If the writers had any type of imagination, they could have written that Daniel had Munchausen by proxy syndrome. Munchausen syndrome by proxy (MSbP or MbP) is a behaviour pattern in which a caregiver fabricates, exaggerates, or induces mental or physical health problems in those who are in their care, usually to gain attention or sympathy from others. I would have had it that Serena stumbled upon the truth and Daniel had to get rid of her for self-preservation...I would have used this storyline to bring Andrew Donovan to town to investigate the suspicious deaths at the hospital...Serena's death could have been angst for Ericole....Eric could have felt guilty for not protecting her.  He pushes Nicole away..Nicole turns to Daniel for comfort..Meanwhile Daniel plans to marry Nicole and she learns that she is pregnant for Eric and keeps it to herself. Daniel discovers this and plots revenge against Ericole. He begins to poison Nicole , putting her and the baby in jeopardy and he sets up Eric for Serena's murder...This could have gone on for months with lots of twists and turns along the way and involving different characters..I would have even have Daniel be responsible for Grace's death. He was her attending  doctor and her death was rather quick....

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 3

This show needs a Horton storyline

Amen.  If it is a Laura/Kate storyline, I hope it is a different take on things.  I don't want to see the usual catfighting between them.  The affair was 40 years ago, I would rather see something a little more interesting.  Hell if Kate and Marlena can be friends since they were 20, with everything they have been through, Kate and Laura can bury the hatchet.

Amen. If it is a Laura/Kate storyline, I hope it is a different take on things. I don't want to see the usual catfighting between them. The affair was 40 years ago, I would rather see something a little more interesting. Hell if Kate and Marlena can be friends since they were 20, with everything they have been through, Kate and Laura can bury the hatchet.

The thing is I dont mind it. Laura should always feel some type of way at Kate since Kate and Bill drove her crazy. It plays on history and gives the character good drama. If it is Kate story that is linked to the Hortons, I wouldn't mind a different spin, but still keep that rivalry alive and well.

Edited by BlackMamba

For me, that is all that Laura is though.  All she does is screech at Kate for an affair that happened 40 years ago.  Laura just always plays the victim which gets incredibly boring.  Especially when you consider that she has forgiven Bill for all his "transgressions" and is currently with him.  I also think that there is a part of Laura that knows that Bill used Kate and took advantage of her, so her still harping on Kate comes off a lot like "displaced anger at Bill".

Also considering that Bill and Lucas have repaired their relationship it can be a little petty to keep harping on Kate, while on Bill's arm. 

Edited by JBC344
  • Love 3

I'm torn about AS returning.  I would love to see Sami, Lucas, and Kate do some scheming.  However, I have no interest in seeing Sami wasted on the completely wore out their welcome years ago Dimeras.

Kristen never should have returned.

Andre had the perfect death/exit SL in 2007.

Stefano never should have come out of that coma Marlena put him in.

• Love 4
(edited)

Iwon't get my hopes up that maybe AS is making a surprise return visit.

That, and throw in, for example and pretend, if they recast for Mike Horton, Sarah Horton and Abifail played by Jon Hensley, Julie Pinson qnd Adrianne Leon - those actors won't be cheap. I believe Phillip and Fynn might be on the chopping block. Fynn leaving would be great if they can get Mike Horton back as chief of staff. And there is no point keeping Phillip if Shawn and Belle are dismissed.

Edited by BlackMamba
  • Love 3
(edited)

He would still be viable as replacement for Victor if John Aniston is leaving.

I definitely want Sami back to wrap up her EJ storyline (whatever it is) and celebrate the end of the DiMeras. It would also be nice for her to participate in the lives of her relatives.

Maybe John and Marlena will tie the knot again, who knows. Or she can how up for Brady's wedding, if it happens.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 1

Amen.  If it is a Laura/Kate storyline, I hope it is a different take on things.  I don't want to see the usual catfighting between them.  The affair was 40 years ago, I would rather see something a little more interesting.  Hell if Kate and Marlena can be friends since they were 20, with everything they have been through, Kate and Laura can bury the hatchet.

I had no clue that Kate's character originated on the show in the 1970's. Wow.

Yeah, Kate Roberts is actually a "blending" of two different characters that Days actually did seamlessly.  "Doctor Kate" who was from the 70's was merged with the Kate who was Marlena's friend and patient. 

• Love 1

Yes but James Reilly tweaked the history and made it that the Kate who was Marlena's friend then was actually the hoe Kate whos pimp was Stefano.

• Love 3

So...was our current Kate ever this Doctor Kate?

No.  Not after the "blending".  They made Kate Roberts who had a history with Marlena the same Kate who had an affair with Bill in the 70's.  Instead of the affair being between two co-workers.  Kate Roberts met Bill because she was at the hospital a lot because she was friends with Marlena and Marlena was counseling her after Austin and Billie's deaths when they were children.   

Yes but James Reilly tweaked the history and made it that the Kate who was Marlena's friend then was actually the hoe Kate whos pimp was Stefano.

Well that is actually the same timeline.  That was always Kate Roberts history.  Kate used the money she made as a prostitute to put herself through business school and Lucas through private school.  This is why she left Salem originally.

• Love 1

Regarding that announcement on SOD about three more actors leaving with one departing in the summer, I have my own speculations as to who may have been fired already. 

Stephen Nichols

Mary Beth Evans

Deidre Hall 

Drake Hogdestyn 

That guy that plays Fynn

John Paul Lavoisier 

Nadia Bjordlin

Judi Evans

Wally Kurth, (especially since he's back on General Hospital right now)

Camila Banus

Daniel Cosgrove

Jen Lilley 

Thaao Penghlis

Anyways, if Philip somehow doesn't get fired, maybe he might end up with Chloe. But who knows? Honestly, I'm not quite sure what purpose Chloe serves now at this point and I'm wondering if Days is bringing back fan favorites just to kill them off with some stupid big story. 

True. It was Sherry Anderson that brought Kate back and James E Reilly added that bit about Kate being a prostitute by Stefano....

(edited)

Regarding that announcement on SOD about three more actors leaving with one departing in the summer, I have my own speculations as to who may have been fired already.

Stephen Nichols

Mary Beth Evans

Deidre Hall

Drake Hogdestyn

That guy that plays Fynn

John Paul Lavoisier

Nadia Bjordlin

Judi Evans

Wally Kurth, (especially since he's back on General Hospital right now)

Camila Banus

Daniel Cosgrove

Jen Lilley

Thaao Penghlis

Anyways, if Philip somehow doesn't get fired, maybe he might end up with Chloe. But who knows? Honestly, I'm not quite sure what purpose Chloe serves now at this point and I'm wondering if Days is bringing back fan favorites just to kill them off with some stupid big story.

No way they will fire Drake and Deidre again. That would be soap opera suicide if they do. They already fired them once because they didn't want to take paycuts when Sony wanted them too back in 2009. Yet this show has done stupid decision making before. The show can write you off every 13 week contract or not.

Right now my head is saying:

http://www.jason47.com/days/contractstatus.html

-JPL (contract ends Jun 2016)

-Alexander Bruszt (Fynn) (May '16)

-Judi Evans I could see they dont use her anyways plus she's on recurring and been off contract since the fall.

-Daniel Cosgrove he's not on contract since being written off in September last year

-I could see Jonathan Me. getting cut who plays Chase, again he's not on contract.

-A Martinez might get cut. I'm sure he's not cheap. His contract ends (April '16).

-They better not get rid of Camilla Banus (April' 16). She's the best actress in that young adult set. She makes KM look like shit in acting. And she/Casey Moss make a great acting pair.

-Thaao Penghlis (April '16).

Edited by BlackMamba
  • Love 2

No way they will fire Drake and Deidre again. That would be soap opera suicide if they do. They already fired them once because they didn't want to take paycuts when Sony wanted them too back in 2009. Yet this show has done stupid decision making before. The show can write you off every 13 week contract or not.

Right now my head is saying:

http://www.jason47.com/days/contractstatus.html

-JPL (contract ends Jun 2016)

-Alexander Bruszt (Fynn) (May '16)

-Judi Evans I could see they dont use her anyways plus she's on recurring and been off contract since the fall.

-Daniel Cosgrove he's not on contract since being written off in September last year

-I could see Jonathan Me. getting cut who plays Chase, again he's not on contract.

-A Martinez might get cut. I'm sure he's not cheap. His contract ends (April '16).

-They better not get rid of Camilla Banus (April' 16). She's the best actress in that young adult set. She makes KM look like shit in acting. And she/Casey Moss make a great acting pair.

-Thaao Penghlis (April '16).

You forget that you are dealing with Fucking Dena Higley...I would expect anything, when it comes to her...

• Love 1

You forget that you are dealing with Fucking Dena Higley...I would expect anything, when it comes to her...

Thats why I said it wouldn't be the first time this show has done bad decision making. Hence, she's been hired multiple times.

(edited)

Wow!

Hope they write the pregnancy in...

And write Deimos, Fynn, Jennifer, Eddie and Rafe out.

I agree with this post....I used to love Jennifer before her lobotomy for the tan man...Nadia is truly stunning without all of that tan spray. I have always felt that she and Kristian in the 80's(before her drastic weight loss) were the most beautiful women on the show....

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 1
(edited)

I'd start a riot of one If Days fired Stephen Nichols, Mary Beth Evans, Dee Hall, Drake Hogestyn, Camila Banus or Jen Lilley. 

I'd be sad about Judi Evans, Wally Kurth and Thaao Penghlis but they are either barely seen or on-screen but not used effectively.  As for Finn, JPL and Nadia, I'm not sure why they were brought on to begin so I wouldn't care if they were cut. 

Has it been confirmed that Daniel Cosgrove signed a contract, or was he only ever coming back for a short stint?

Edited by Kitty Redstone

This week's AfterBuzz show had Robert Scott Wilson on it.  Next week will be Mary Beth Evans, and prior to that, they are going to have a special interview show with Alison Sweeney.

And an interview with Jason Brooks.

• Love 1

This week's AfterBuzz show had Robert Scott Wilson on it.  Next week will be Mary Beth Evans, and prior to that, they are going to have a special interview show with Alison Sweeney.

No wonder Dequan was going batshit on twitter. LOL

• Love 1