Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

The best thing that will ever happen to Kate Mansi is for her to get out in the real world and away from the delusions of Days' writers, producers and Chabby fans. Then she'll learn just how talented and wonderful she truly isn't and how limited her abilities actually are.

Oh Kit.. I said this about the girl who played Stephanie and to my surprise she's actually doing good on Teen Wolf from the epsides I've seen.

I think thats the difference between daytime and primetime. There are actual rehearsals and acting coaches on set for primetime. Where in daytime one has to learn how to through the soap to get their feet wet. The girl from YR just got canned she picked up a new hustle right away on the show Transylvania for the CW. Maybe KM will luck up and get something for pilot season starts shooting.

But whatever KM does just don't come back to Days. The ship has sailed.

• Love 1

Oh Kit.. I said this about the girl who played Stephanie and to my surprise she's actually doing good on Teen Wolf from the epsides I've seen.

I think thats the difference between daytime and primetime. There are actual rehearsals and acting coaches on set for primetime. Where in daytime one has to learn how to through the soap to get their feet wet. The girl from YR just got canned she picked up a new hustle right away on the show Transylvania for the CW. Maybe KM will luck up and get something for pilot season starts shooting.

But whatever KM does just don't come back to Days. The ship has sailed.

I'm sorry, but I just don't think craptastic actors can suddenly become talented.  I don't watch Teen Wolf but I did watch Smallville and two of the actresses who were insanely propped even though they had very limited acting ability where Kristin Kreuk and Erica Durance.  They were given big story lines and had interviews left and right and were constantly talking about what they wanted to portray and yet they were just horrid to watch. Their only redeeming quality is that they were pretty.  It's been years after SV, and both Kreuk and Durance have faded into mediocrity and are both starring in lame Canadian soap operas that only their fans watch.  

I really can't see KM suddenly becoming a huge star and winning awards because she's had four years on this show and given numerous chances to shine and nothing has happened and having access to acting coaches really won't change that.  At least to this viewer :)

• Love 2

I'm sorry, but I just don't think craptastic actors can suddenly become talented.  I don't watch Teen Wolf but I did watch Smallville and two of the actresses who were insanely propped even though they had very limited acting ability where Kristin Kreuk and Erica Durance.  They were given big story lines and had interviews left and right and were constantly talking about what they wanted to portray and yet they were just horrid to watch. Their only redeeming quality is that they were pretty.  It's been years after SV, and both Kreuk and Durance have faded into mediocrity and are both starring in lame Canadian soap operas that only their fans watch.  

I really can't see KM suddenly becoming a huge star and winning awards because she's had four years on this show and given numerous chances to shine and nothing has happened and having access to acting coaches really won't change that.  At least to this viewer :)

Eh?  Kristin Kreuk is on Beauty and the Beast. Erica Durance is on Saving Hope.  Neither of those is a soap, Beauty and the Beast is on CW, and Saving Hope is syndicated.

Eh?  Kristin Kreuk is on Beauty and the Beast. Erica Durance is on Saving Hope.  Neither of those is a soap, Beauty and the Beast is on CW, and Saving Hope is syndicated.

I stand by what I said:  Kreuk is on Beauty and the Beast which is filmed in Vancouver and one of the crappiest show on the CW with all of its ridiculous beasting out idiocy.  Durance's Saving Hope is on a Canadian channel and little more then a poor man's Grey's Anatomy which is pretty soap operaic.  Neither woman has become the star the SV producers convinced themselves they would become and I think KM will be the same.

• Love 2

I really can't see KM suddenly becoming a huge star and winning awards because she's had four years on this show and given numerous chances to shine and nothing has happened and having access to acting coaches really won't change that. At least to this viewer :)

I'm sorry, but I just don't think craptastic actors can suddenly become talented.

I have no opinion on Kate as I am only here to read about past stories and Jack's return but soap acting is different than TV/film acting and different than theater acting.  I've seen celebrated theater actors absolutely die on soaps.  I've also seen soap actors who I've thought were terrible or bland suddenly be good or interesting once they hit prime time.  Part of the reason is that soaps move at such a rapid pace that doesn't allow for multiple takes or much rehearsal.  And some actors really need that.  I don't know that it'll happen with Kate but I've been surprised before.

• Love 3

SOD: March 28, 2016

KM & BF talk about their chemistry in the article Chemistry Class

s6k3lw.jpg

nzefbt.jpg

35mmmg0.jpg

Drake talks about working with Tobin Bell

33m2xrp.jpg

Shady but I been saying this

Someone left this in the mailbag section

k2hhfq.png

This makes me miss acting. Those moments are so rare but exciting.

• Love 3

Point taken

And you all have Canadian soaps? What are they? Are they the slightest good.

No Canadian soaps. There is some original programming on CBC (like the UK BBC) and CTV, along with co-productions from other countries. Some of the cable networks again have semi-Canadian shows or co-productions from US SyFy, etc.

• Love 2

Why are BF and KM getting articles written about their super amazing and awesome chemistry even though KM has already left?

Because the Abifail character doesn't leave to May. These interviews were probably done back in the fall and winter before she ended filming. She and BF are probably due for one more SOD cover together towards the end of April and May.

• Love 3

I just don't see "chemistry" between KM and BF.  In the brief scenes BF had with Melissa Archer before Serena was killed, I thought the two of them had more "zing" than I have ever seen between KM and BF.  

• Love 7

Yes, this.  I haven't seen KM have chemistry with anyone, most especially poor James Scott.  But Billy Flynn has had it with everyone, including GG/Rafe and TP/Andre.  But when he's with her?  Nada.  The insistence by the soap press that KM is this great daytime star is weird and confusing. 

• Love 8

I just don't see "chemistry" between KM and BF. In the brief scenes BF had with Melissa Archer before Serena was killed, I thought the two of them had more "zing" than I have ever seen between KM and BF.

BF had chemistry with Jordan too. But the production and the rapid fans of this pairing clearly wanted him with KM. It just proves the point KM is a bland actress that needs strong actors around her so it can appear she's good.

Yes, this. I haven't seen KM have chemistry with anyone, most especially poor James Scott. But Billy Flynn has had it with everyone, including GG/Rafe and TP/Andre. But when he's with her? Nada. The insistence by the soap press that KM is this great daytime star is weird and confusing.

Exactly. Like I said many times if they are trying to make her into the second comings of KA or MR, I'm not feeling it and never will. Cute girl but I just didn't see this "good" actress that most Days fans see. At least when KA, MR and AS were in their 3rd years or at least 27 years old as KM is now, you could see where they made big improvements. KM is in her 4th year and still she is the same. Where is the growth?? Not even her turning into a possible loon like grandma Laura Horton isn't working for me.

Whatever. If she flops and soaps are still hanging on by life support please may she not return to Days. I'll take Rachel Melvin back with the quickness. Someone who can act!

Edited by BlackMamba
  • Love 5

BF had chemistry with Jordan too. But the production and the rapid fans of this pairing clearly wanted him with KM. It just proves the point KM is a bland actress that needs strong actors around her so it can appear she's good.

Exactly. Like I said many times if they are trying to make her into the second comings of KA or MR, I'm not feeling it and never will. Cute girl but I just didn't see this "good" actress that most Days fans see. At least when KA, MR and AS were in their 3rd years or at least 27 years ago as KM is now, you could see where they made big improvements. KM is in her 4th year and still she is the same. Where is the growth?? Not even her turning into a possible loon like grandma Laura Horton isn't working for me.

Whatever. If she flops and soaps are still hanging on by life support please may she not return to Days. I'll take Rachel Melvin back with the quickness. Someone who can act!

Your post is spot on....The people at that other site love her and I just don't get it..I have tried and she is a horrible actress....I do like Billy as Chad, but Chabby is a horrible pairing....

• Love 7

Your post is spot on....The people at that other site love her and I just don't get it..I have tried and she is a horrible actress....I do like Billy as Chad, but Chabby is a horrible pairing....

HENCE why I don't go there anymore along with the fact they whine too much for my taste! Yet it's not even just them on the soap blogs and it's on most of the Days Facebook pages and Twitter. You cant escape it! It's like the plague just this couple aint dying but this pairing keeps getting more fans sucked into their awful vortex. Ugh.

Lastly, I'm like you, I tried warming up to her but she's on the same level as Rebecca Budig over on GH and before then AMC. She's pretty with a fanbase but acting wise huge NEGATIVE.

Edited by BlackMamba
  • Love 2

Exactly. Like I said many times if they are trying to make her into the second comings of KA or MR, I'm not feeling it and never will. Cute girl but I just didn't see this "good" actress that most Days fans see. At least when KA, MR and AS were in their 3rd years or at least 27 years old as KM is now, you could see where they made big improvements. KM is in her 4th year and still she is the same. Where is the growth?? Not even her turning into a possible loon like grandma Laura Horton isn't working for me.

I missed the Chad/Jordan pairing, but I did hear good things about it.  When I started rewatching this past summer, I was on a board where people were comparing to Chabby to Steve and Kayla.  I really enjoy BF, but I wanted to send those people links of Steve and Kayla's falling in love story and have them explain to me how Chabby compared because KM is nowhere close to MBE.  Both SN and MBE are strong actors, but KM (like you said) has to be in scenes with strong actors. MBE could be overpowered by SN (differences in their acting styles), but she's able to hold her own with him.  KM is just ... there.   

I'm dreading the going insane storyline (even though I am happy it will mean KM leaving the show).  I don't think the show is strong enough for a storyline like this in today's world.  I don't believe the writers will know how to write a story like this and I definitely do not think that KM can handle this story.  Her facial expression never changes, so how are we going to be pulled into "Abby is losing her mind."  

• Love 7

Yes, this.  I haven't seen KM have chemistry with anyone, most especially poor James Scott.  But Billy Flynn has had it with everyone, including GG/Rafe and TP/Andre.  But when he's with her?  Nada.  The insistence by the soap press that KM is this great daytime star is weird and confusing. 

This is just more propping for KM and Abs.  Anyone can see how limited she is so the show's trying reverse psychology to convince us how brilliant and talented she is.  I wouldn't be surprised if KM shows up if in a couple of months time on General Hospital or Young and the Restless because with her mediocre skills, she won't get any work outside of soaps.

• Love 3

I missed the Chad/Jordan pairing, but I did hear good things about it. When I started rewatching this past summer, I was on a board where people were comparing to Chabby to Steve and Kayla. I really enjoy BF, but I wanted to send those people links of Steve and Kayla's falling in love story and have them explain to me how Chabby compared because KM is nowhere close to MBE. Both SN and MBE are strong actors, but KM (like you said) has to be in scenes with strong actors. MBE could be overpowered by SN (differences in their acting styles), but she's able to hold her own with him. KM is just ... there.

tumblr_mj75crnvMM1rfpp1do1_400.gif

See what I mean - DELUSIONAL!

No way these fans are from the 80s and the 90s because if they are shame on it all!!!

Stayla! Really Dool fans?!?

Chabby is NOT to be compared to Stayla or any supercouple for that matter. If Abifail had a personality and made me laugh, taking after her father, they would be compared to a Tony/Anna maybe. But Abifail has been written so poorly and watered down since KM took the role. Nothing about Abifail is delightful, rootable, a breath of fresh air or redeeming. But the character and the actress are not very good at all.

Does dating a writer really warrant being propped as much as Kate Mansi has been? How has this writer been able to keep his job, when it could be a conflict of interest?

Days is known for doing this crap. Remember RKK, allegedly, he was going around sexually harassing his leading ladies on the job (Crystal Chappell, Lisa Rinna and Kristian Alfonso) not to mention he was dating an underage actress who later became his wife and had a drug problem. It wasn't until he sexual harassed KA on the job once and KA told her her first hubby about it and he came up to the job and beat RKK ass. Considering, KA had just came back to the show and it was RKK 3rd time S/H allegations, they finally let him go.

I read that VJ/KP are dating who play Ciara/Theo. Hope they last because if they ever break up that working relationship will go up in flaming like it did with Tyler Christopher and Natalia Livingston over at GH.

Edited by BlackMamba
  • Love 4

Ugh, Since James left the AfterBuzz show, it's turned into nothing but a fan call in show.  I HATE fan call in shows.  I guess I'll have to watch the beginning of each week's show to see if they have any special guests, otherwise, I have no interest in listening to fans talk about their favorites and ask stupid questions.

• Love 1

AfterBuzz is a channel on YouTube that talks about hundreds of TV shows - cable, broadcast, etc.  Practically any TV show has its talk show in the AfterBuzz channel.  The Days AfterBuzz show has been running for over a year now, once a week, occasionally more than once.  They frequently have actors from the show on to talk.

The network is produced by Maria Menounos.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6THzna6gLcckhofjTrawJQHxudHrU-aw

Edited by Rick Kitchen
  • Love 1

I know I've said this before but I wish they'd recast Philip. I know they probably can't get Jay Kenneth Johnson back but this JPL guy has too much going against him. He's a bad actor, unattractive (I guess smoking made him leathery?), and just not the embodiment of who Philip is/was when he was last on the canvas.  Does anyone know if he could possibly be recast? Can anyone please tell TIIC to dump JPL??? 

Apologies if this was wrong thread, I didn't think it fit Spoilers/Shockers, but I could be wrong.  Thanks for any glimmer of hope you can give me. (No thanks for anvil-crushing of my soul, otherwise.)   :)

• Love 2

Ugh, Since James left the AfterBuzz show, it's turned into nothing but a fan call in show.  I HATE fan call in shows.  I guess I'll have to watch the beginning of each week's show to see if they have any special guests, otherwise, I have no interest in listening to fans talk about their favorites and ask stupid questions.

Why did James leave? IMO he was the best on that panel.

MBE had better win an Emmy!

KDP, MR and Peggy also were nominated. And guess who else! True O'Brien. What!

All four soap operas were nominated for best show. What a surprise!

• Love 1

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTRESS:

Linsey Godfrey

Peggy McCay

Melissa Reeves

Jessica Collins

Lauralee Bell

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTOR:

Sean BLAKEMORE

Steve Burton

BRYTON James

Jacob Young

Dom Zamprogna

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTOR:

Tyler Christopher

Tony Geary

Justin Hartley

Christian Leblanc

Kristoff St. John

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTRESS:

Tracy Bregman

Kassie DePaiva

Mary Beth Evans

Finola Hughes

Maura West

OUTSTANDING YOUNGER ACTOR:

Nikolas Bechtel

Bryan Craig

Max Erich

Pierson Fode

Tequan Richmond

OUTSTANDING Direction

All four soaps

OUTSTANDING Drama Series

GH

Days

YR

BB

HAHAHAHAAHA KM NOR BF WERE NOMINATED. THE BEST THING EVER. NOW ALL THESE CHABBY FANS WHO SWEAR MISS GIRL CAN ACT WASN'T GOOD ENOUGH TO GET A FINAL NOM.

I hope Kassie DePaiva or Fiona Hughes wins best actress.

Pissed Eric Braeden and Melissa Claire Egan were snubbed on YR.

Tony Geary ass probably gonna get a going away Emmy, which is bullshit. If not him, Christian Leblanc will for his nut cancer storyline.

I really hope Byran Craig doesn't win so we can get an epic Twitter explosion.

Edited by BlackMamba
  • Love 3

So Days mostly got shut out.

I can't think of a single good reason why True O’Brien should have been nominated.

I wouldn't say Days got shut out but KM and BF probably are probably trying to pick their jaws off the floor at this moment.

Agree TOB. Hunter King will probably win again but I wouldn't mind Robin's daughter om GH to win.

I can't think of a reason that Bryan Craig should be acknowledged at all...except for shirtless scenes.

Also, am I the only one who wonders at everyone flipping out over Hunter King? She's not good, imo.

Edited by swtrgrl
  • Love 2

I can't think of a single good reason why True O’Brien should have been nominated. 

I actually loved Paige's reaction to finding out about her mom and JJ.  TOB had this great scene where she shushed Eve when her mom kept lying to her face.  That was a rather awesome scene :):)

And can I say that I love that KM didn't get nominated?  If KA couldn't get a nod with all of the excellent work she did in the AIden storyline and then her storyline with Bo, KM wasn't going to get it with her non-acting in the kidnapping/Thomas birth scenes.  There is a god :):)   And I kind of hope MR wins because she really has to do all of the heavy lifting in any of the Jenn/Abby scenes.

Edited by kitmerlot1213
  • Love 5

Days received 16 nomination. Ken Corday got 2 noms for a song he wrote and of course OUTSTANDING drama series.

And can I say that I love that KM didn't get nominated? If KA couldn't get a nod with all of the excellent work she did in the AIden storyline and then her storyline with Bo, KM wasn't going to get it with her non-acting in the kidnapping/Thomas birth scenes. There is a god :):) And I kind of hope ME wins because she really has to do all of the heavy lifting in any of the Jenn/Abby scenes.

Mhmm. Least the committee got that right about KM. RSW should be doing back flips in the privacy of his own home.

Aw man, I think Billy Flynn's done great work and deserves some recognition. But I guess it all depends on what scenes were submitted, right?

Yes but if he turned anything with KM I can see the possible subbing.

Well alright Mary Beth Evans got two nominations!!!

More nominees

In the Outstanding Guest Category, B&B’s Anna Maria Horsford (Vivienne) and Obba Babatundé (Julius), DAYS’s Adam Leadbeater (ex-Dr. Malcolm), GH’s Dee Wallace (ex-Pat) and Y&R’s Frank Runyeon (ex-Angel) got nods.

For Outstanding Actress in a Digital Daytime Drama Series, Mary Beth Evans (Sara, THE BAY, who is also nominated in Lead Actress as DAYS’s Kayla), Kathleen Gati (Valentini, WINTERTHORNE; Dr. Obrecht, GH), Elizabeth Hubbard (Eva, ANACOSTIA; ex-Lucinda, ATWT), Lilly Melgar (Janice, THE BAY; ex-Lily, GH) and Patsy Pease (Lola, THE BAY; ex-Kim, DAYS) made the list.

Outstanding Actor In A Digital Daytime Drama Series nominees are Kristos Andrews (Peter, THE BAY), Van Hansis (Thom, EASTSIDERS; ex-Luke, ATWT), Rick Hearst (Mr. Ryan, YOUTHFUL DAZE; Ric, GH), JD Pardo (Jesus, EAST LOS HIGH) and Kevin Spirtas (Dominic, WINTERTHORNE; ex-Craig, DAYS).

So glad that B&B’s Anna Maria Horsford (Vivienne) and Obba Babatundé (Julius) got nominated!

Totally agree. Just a shame that Kala Mosley was shutout in the prenoms. If anyone deserved the emmy it should had been her.

• Love 1

Congrats to all of the Days peep with Emmy noms. I'm not holding out much hope they'll actually take statues home but it's still nice to see them get some recognition for a show that was fighting for its very existence.

Very glad to see that the Academy wasn't brainwashed about KM like so many seem to be, but I'm sad to see that BF was ignored because he is, by far, the best actor the show has in the younger crowd. It's also pretty cool that MBE got a double nomination after years and years of being ignored.

• Love 6

I'm a little bummed Jennifer Lilley hasn't gotten nommed. That's not even English, I know. But my point stands. She's 40% of my interest in this show...

I would have loved to see Jenn Lilley nominated.  She helps light up the show (bad choice of words considering their lighting problem).   Theresa may not always be a good person, but Jenn Lilley makes her so vulnerable that even when she's being bad, you can still feel sorry for her or want to root for her to succeed.  

HALLELUJAH, HALLELUJAH, HALLELUJAH!!!!  KM was not nominated.  I was terrified she would be the only DOOL actress to get a nomination. I was just reading on another board and everyone is stunned, stunned I tell you that she wasn't nominated and that's just the worst thing to ever happen on this show.    I would have liked to see BF nominated, but I was also disappointed that RSW wasn't even pre-nominated. 

I am very happy that MBE was nominated.  Watching some of her storylines during the first run makes me wonder what took so long for her to be nominated.  In the deaf storyline she conveyed so much with her eyes.  Also, watching Kayla become stronger after the rape storyline was amazing. Finally after almost 30 years she is receiving some recognition.  

Edited by Lisa418722
  • Love 4

I can't think of a reason that Bryan Craig should be acknowledged at all...except for shirtless scenes.

Also, am I the only one who wonders at everyone flipping out over Hunter King? She's not good, imo.

Hunter King is TERRIBLE, just godawful. She's like a demented Daisy Duck.

• Love 4