Type keyword(s) to search

S40.E14: Dakota Johnson / Alabama Shakes

• Start Topic

It's kinda sad that the best part of the show was Riblet and RBG on update. When Riblet pulled out the pigtails, I lost it. But how bad does update have to be to have 3 guests, even if Kanye was lame? 

And we get it Dakota, you think your movie was horrible. Well, duh, of course it was. I've not read the book or seen the movie, but I've repeatedly heard the book was ridiculously bad and both she and the male lead seemed incredibly miscast just from the endless commercials I've seen. She should have known going in it was going to be bad. 

• Love 2

I love Riblet. He makes me laugh and he destroys Jost and Che by nailing his delivery while they fumble week after week. Bobby is amazing. I only hope Riblet doesn't replace Drunk Uncle because I love both characters soooo much. 

It was a mess, but Worf MD made me laugh. It was silly fun. I also enjoyed Brave because I wish I'd love to just say what I'm thinking some of the time. Also I thought the Kanye rap had a few really good lines and I actually liked the cold open. When I put it all out there like that, I guess I liked the show. It wasn't spectacular but there was enough good to make it worth my time.

• Love 1

I work in the city of Hamilton, and to be quite honest, the water tastes the same there as anywhere else. The last time they made national news for something quirky was years ago when they added an ! to their name. I suppose we're kinda weird.....

• Love 2

Overall, I was disappointed. There were a few things I enjoyed.

When Taran appeared as Guiliani, I was wondering why someone else, who looked more like him, didn't play him, but as he became more Michael Keaton, I understood. I thought this was ok. Not that funny, but the idea was good.

I liked the ISIS thing. First off, Taran and Dakota as a dad and daughter was really well done. 

I also liked the Brave bit. Like others, Kate saying she couldn't poop with the other woman there was the best part, but I liked it all.

The interns sketch was funny. I thought Dakota, Cecily, and Bobby were really funny in their characters. When Cecily said, "Margo, can you please shut that window?" and the camera cut to Aidy with two broken arms, saying, "I can't," I cracked up. I thought this was a very good sketch.

I thought there were some good jokes in WU. I liked the bit about the woman being knocked unconscious by a thrown egg -- "Stay out of Chickentown." I really didn't find RBG all that funny, but Kate is always enjoyable to watch. I kind of like Riblet, too. The FedEx package with the mike was clever. And for once I really enjoyed Jay. That song was pretty funny. My one complaint is that Sasheer was distracting and actually upstaging Jay. She was unnecessary.

My favorite part in the Net Neutrality sketch was when Leslie was introduced as a prolific YouTube commenter, and she said, "First." I didn't like when Dakota said, "Harder" after Taran slapped her. It didn't fit the character, and was a cheap laugh.

For what didn't work… The monologue. That was awkward and unfunny. The Worf sketch was terrible and a weird "tribute" to Nimoy.

The Cinderella sketch also bombed. What's Cecily's character's name? Katianne? Whatever. She's not funny. In a way, I think it's an interesting character, but again… not funny.

The Fifty Shades of Grey press room had potential. I actually thought we were going to see how Dakota changed with each reporter asking the same questions. I suppose that's been done before, but it still could have been funny. The thing with Kyle as a kid reporter also had promise, but I don't think it quite worked. 

Also, the Mr Riot Films thing didn't work for me. I usually like their stuff, but not this one.

I liked Alabama Shakes. What a great voice she has.

Thank you, Alabama Shakes, for slaying as usual. 

Dakota wasn't awful, but she wasn't great either. I need someone to pay me each time she crosses her arms, though, so I can retire in luxury. She was the best in the I Can't sketch. That was the best sketch of the night (I haven't seen ISIS or WU yet), IMO, because they all nailed the stereotype. I thought Dakota did a better job with her character than Cecily. Bobby, of course, never fails. 

Speaking of Cecily, I LITERALLY can't stand the Katianne character and I wish it would go away. The Cinderella sketch wasn't funny at all. Neither was Mr. Riot or whatever, and that sketch proved to me that they're wasting Beck Bennett so much this season. He's got so much more range than Kyle, yet Kyle is in so many more sketches. I don't get that at all. 

The 50 Shades press junket turned my stomach. Prime opportunity for some biting satire, but since NBC owns part of the movie or whatever, they just do something stupid with it. 

Dakota will probably have a decent career if she's cast in the same types of roles she has in 50 Shades and the sketches she was in tonight--bland, awkward, a little self-deprecating, with fairy decent comedic timing. Basically--playing herself. 

fair I thought that was the tightest Weekend Update of the season. Both hosts seemed more relaxed and settled and the jokes came quick and with no flubs. There weren't any standout jokes, but that's not the point of Weekend Update. It's a flurry of one-liners. The Ruth Bader Ginsberg bit kind of chewed up the tempo though, despite Kate selling the hell out of it.

• Love 1
fair I thought that was the tightest Weekend Update of the season. Both hosts seemed more relaxed and settled and the jokes came quick and with no flubs.

I admit, that I laughed when after Colin delivered a joke, you could hear Michael Che exclaim off camera "That was funny!" I don't think the joke was particularly hilarious (I think it was about the guy who made a fully functioning Bat Suit) but when the anchors are actually acknowledging that the other exists, and say things that are organic enough to not sound like robots programmed to lifelessly recite jokes, the segment is a lot more enjoyable.

• Love 3

Awww, I liked Dakota Johnson. She's a cutie and she has surprisingly good comedic chops. Who knew she was a Joy Division fan? Points for that.

You can never go wrong with Alabama Shakes as a musical guest. They should have teamed up with "Kanye" for the apology song.

• Love 7

fair I thought that was the tightest Weekend Update of the season. Both hosts seemed more relaxed and settled and the jokes came quick and with no flubs. There weren't any standout jokes, but that's not the point of Weekend Update. It's a flurry of one-liners. The Ruth Bader Ginsberg bit kind of chewed up the tempo though, despite Kate selling the hell out of it.

I think they're settling in too. Agreed on RBG.

I thought that was the tightest Weekend Update of the season. Both hosts seemed more relaxed and settled and the jokes came quick and with no flubs. There weren't any standout jokes, but that's not the point of Weekend Update. It's a flurry of one-liners. The Ruth Bader Ginsberg bit kind of chewed up the tempo though, despite Kate selling the hell out of it.

I agree with you; I this was my favorite update of the season. Colin and Michael interacted well, and I thought Michael's jokes really landed, even if they didn't all get big laughs - I liked the "Don't beat yourself up, Chris Brown", The Obama joke, and the "'Oh, really' said a million black men in jail". The guests all killed too - Kate and Bobby were fantastic as always, but Jay's "Kanye apology rap" was killing me.

This is one of those episodes where the things I liked really had nothing to do with the host. I don't know if it was nerves, or this just wasn't her forte or what, but I thought the only sketch Dakota really nailed was the Interns sketch. Everything else was super awkward, especially that monologue.

The Brave short made me laugh out loud, less from the situations and more from the joyful dancing each person did after telling the truth.

"Say it to my gold face you blue son of a bitch" cracked me up. Leslie is such a great addition to the cast.

I think I would've liked the 50 Shades interview if instead, they'd done the "Man on the street" interviewing bit that Kyle did for the 40th Anniversary special. But that would've meant cutting out the host entirely, which wouldn't really fly, but I think if would've been funnier. I did like the Good Neigbor bullying sketch, and I actually wonder if those were real people who were reacting to what they were doing, since they reacted pretty naturally.

(edited)

None of the charm Dakota is supposed to have showed on this show.  I am glad to hear that the Worf MD sketch was last minute, because Dakota was bad in it, sports-figure-as host kinda bad.

Aren't you all glad you are not involved in Hollywood and therefore forced to do to your face what Melanie Griffith has done to her face?  Its terrible.  Don Johnson looked good, like an older professor look going on there.

I LOVE RIBLET.  Hey--is his weird pronounciation from a certain area or city or is it just his affectation?  Is it maybe from the city Michael Che is from?

Loved the socially concious video.  It reminded me of a video of everything Girl Who You Regret Talking To at a Party is all about.

Edited by WhineandCheez

(Also I'm just now realizing that Dakota looked like Helena Monster's profile photo in that internet sketch.).

Now, now, let's be civil here. ;)

My one complaint is that Sasheer was distracting and actually upstaging Jay. She was unnecessary.

Yeah, I feel like I'm gonna have to go back and watch that part again. I missed half of what Jay was saying.

Hands-down worst Update joke was the ADD one. Did Colin ever have a personality? It's getting to the point where if I ever see the headline "SNL 'Weekend Update' anchor Jost slays dozens," I won't be surprised.

I laughed until my eyes teared during the Ruth Bader Ginsberg part.  I bet the real Justice Ginsberg would love it too.  I hope she watches online!

The state of Alabama won the night: the political jokes, the musical guest, and that tattoo on her arm.

• Love 1

I definitely relate to Kate McKinnon in the "Honestly" video.

I really liked  Leslie's part, saying "Walt died- you're too late" in response to no Breaking Bad spoilers.   People who have a fit when you discuss a show months or years later do annoy me so.

I was trying to figure out who the Fed Ex guy was in Update that delivered the mike.  It must have been a writer.

Kyle has become quite the utility player.  I don't think anyone plays a kid better.

• Love 3

The "Honestly" skit would have been even more epic if Sara Bareilles herself had shown up (since she's the one who sings that song and all).

Sounds like the ISIS skit is ruffling some feathers in the media. I don't know....I LOL'd.

• Love 3

Not surprised the ISIS sketch ruffled feathers. Actually, it's almost making some sort of weird, meta point by doing so. Taran's response said it all: "Freedom to mock is our greatest weapon." The fact that we have the ability in this country to make stuff like that ISIS bit is what's important. The fact that it's in "bad taste" or whatever people are saying doesn't matter.

• Love 3

I had bigger issues with the original car commercial than the skit. Maybe it was just my friend's little brother, but when the little brother joined the Marines, she told me his recruiter was the one to take him to the airport so that there weren't big scenes at the airport with sobbing moms and girlfriends. The commercial made it like dad just pulled up to the drop off lane and pushed the daughter out the door. 

Started a bit late after Laura Benanti tweeted about it. It wasn't mind-numbingly awful, which is really all I ask of SNL these days. Dakota Johnson was kind of funny and charming, which surprised the hell out of me. Alabama Shakes was also quite good.

Still can't believe how shit Weekend Update is now. Even the Ruth Bader Ginsburg bit wasn't great! 

I didn't expect much from Dakota, and thought she was surprisingly good. Loved the story about how she was likely conceived the night her mom hosted SNL!

WU is so bad. Those two have zero chemistry. It seems like they've been reading all the comments about how weird it is that they don't even acknowledge each other, so last night they went out of their way to try to make these little comments, and it all came out so forced. I hope they're replaced next season.

I really liked Leslie's part, saying "Walt died- you're too late" in response to no Breaking Bad spoilers. People who have a fit when you discuss a show months or years later do annoy me so.

So much word to this. Spoiler alert, people. Lucy and Ricky had a boy.

• Love 7

It's kinda sad that the best part of the show was Riblet and RBG on update. When Riblet pulled out the pigtails, I lost it. But how bad does update have to be to have 3 guests, even if Kanye was lame? 

It is kind of sad when one WU host basically calls out the other when a really bad joke bombs. Riblet makes me laugh, but calling out how crappy the WU host is, when it is true, doesn't seem like a great, long term strategy.

It is kind of sad when one WU host basically calls out the other when a really bad joke bombs. Riblet makes me laugh, but calling out how crappy the WU host is, when it is true, doesn't seem like a great, long term strategy.

This was the first WU segment that made me wonder if these two just haaaaaate each other. Which is a sad reminder that Jimmy & Tina have left the building, a long time ago, and aren't coming back.

I hope SNL can find someone entirely new (as opposed to just whichever current cast member is willing to do it) to put behind the WU desk and shake things up.

• Love 1

Riblet makes me laugh, but calling out how crappy the WU host is, when it is true, doesn't seem like a great, long term strategy.

Yeah it's weird because that seems to be the entire point of the Riblet character. Doing it once was sort of maybe a wink winky hanging a lantern on it, but bringing him back with the same basic schtick of "you hosts are sucking at this and look how easy it is" was...off-putting, even though it was (again) funny.
  • Love 1

Yeah, the Riblet thing is weird (though I do enjoy it; it's Bobby, and we're at least guaranteed a couple of good joke deliveries). But, like, is the show that tone deaf about how it all comes off due to the overwhelmingly negative reaction Colin and Michael have gotten, or is it their way of saying, "Yeah, we know they suck, but just let us ride out the season"?

• Love 1

I'd totally forgotten Alabama Shakes had ever been on the show before, but then I was like, "oh yeah, that singer with the enormous mouth!"  She has a tremendous voice.

Dakota Johnson did a fine job!  Anyone who saw Ben & Kate (all twelve of us!) knows she's actually a pretty good comic actor, and it's good to see her do well in the notoriously-difficult SNL setting.  Was it just me, however, or did it seem like none of the cast was keen to hug her during the goodnights?

My one complaint is that Sasheer was distracting and actually upstaging Jay. She was unnecessary

Distracting, yes.  [shallow] Unnecessary, HELL no.  [/shallow]

• Love 1

I had no idea who Dakota was until I saw the uncomfortable interview where she was an absolute asshole to her mom. Its true that you never get a second chance to make a first impression, because I spent the whole show hating her with the fire I used to only reserve for Kristen Stewart. PS. If I had a fraction of her money, I sure as heck wouldn't be walking around with tic tac teeth.

• Love 1

Was it just me, however, or did it seem like none of the cast was keen to hug her during the goodnights?

That was definitely my impression.  You can usually tell if the cast really likes the host (or does not) during the goodbyes.  I was also surprised her parents weren't invited onstage.   Maybe she didn't want them there.   But that's something they almost always do at the end with celebrity relatives.

(edited)

It is kind of sad when one WU host basically calls out the other when a really bad joke bombs. 

Yeah, what's up with that? Weirdly, Che doesn't only do it when one of Jost's jokes bombs--he also inserts himself when, in his humble opinion, one of Jost's jokes is good! Either way, Che's opinion-muttering while Jost is on camera is intrusive, unprofessional, and desperate. Does he fear he doesn't get to make enough of an impression when the camera's on him?

Edited by Milburn Stone

I don't understand what Che is trying to do. His persona for WU is not that of a faux anchorperson (serious, but weird, like Jane Curtain), nor is it of a bemused comic delivering newsie punchlines (Seth Myers). He acts like he's annoyed to be there, and not in a funny way. I sincerely don't get what he's trying to affect, or why we should find it amusing. It's not deadpan, it's not sarcastic, it's just hostile. the fact that he's finally learned to read the cue cards is just not enough. With Jost, I feel like I can see what he's going for, and it's failing. With Che, I can't even see what he's trying to do.

I also got the feeling that Dakota was lonely during the good-byes.

• Love 4

Not surprised the ISIS sketch ruffled feathers. Actually, it's almost making some sort of weird, meta point by doing so.

From the "upset" tweets I saw, they seemed to be from people who were upset ISIS is targeting teenagers, and didn't get that that's the point the sketch was trying to make--not just that they didn't get the joke, but that they missed the "THIS IS BAD" point behind the joke.

I liked Dakota's comic timing, though I think she did better in the taped sketches.  I only remember seeing one episode of Ben and Kate, though she was good in it.  I even thought it was OK that she called attention to the fact that 50 Shades is making a great deal of money, even if almost no one admits to having seen it.  I liked the callback to her mom being on the show, but I think the joke could have ended at "I was born exactly 9 months later" without going into more detail.  Sometimes the best humor is implied.

I wonder if the Dr. Worf sketch was planned before Leonard Nimoy died, or if it was added late (or if they were planning it for a future week, but moved it up.)

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't understand what Che is trying to do. His persona for WU is not that of a faux anchorperson (serious, but weird, like Jane Curtain), nor is it of a bemused comic delivering newsie punchlines (Seth Myers). He acts like he's annoyed to be there, and not in a funny way. I sincerely don't get what he's trying to affect, or why we should find it amusing. It's not deadpan, it's not sarcastic, it's just hostile. the fact that he's finally learned to read the cue cards is just not enough. With Jost, I feel like I can see what he's going for, and it's failing. With Che, I can't even see what he's trying to do.

I also got the feeling that Dakota was lonely during the good-byes.

You know, I really like Michael Che as a comedian (his stand up is hilarious), but I think some of the issue is that his personality and reactions work much better on The Daily Show than they do on WU.  The Daily Show correspondents (for the most part) work really well when they are just reacting to someone, or being pretty laid back during the jokes.  That doesn't really work for WU though.  I think what's happening is that he's just being himself, when on WU, even when you're being yourself, it's yourself as a character - Amy Poehler has mentioned struggling with the same issue when she took the update desk.  It wasn't until Lorne told her that she should be herself playing the character of an anchor that everything clicked.

With Jost, I still think the issue is that he never had any on-stage experience until he started doing standup a few years ago.  

Though, to be fair, as much as I loved Seth on the desk, his first year was pretty rough.  Amy carried him a lot until he really found his footing.  And as much as I love Jimmy, his forte was never the Update desk; Tina really pulled a lot of the weight during their time together.   

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 2

Yeah, what's up with that? Weirdly, Che doesn't only do it when one of Jost's jokes bombs--he also inserts himself when, in his humble opinion, one of Jost's jokes is good! Either way, Che's opinion-muttering while Jost is on camera is intrusive, unprofessional, and desperate. Does he fear he doesn't get to make enough of an impression when the camera's on him?

Not only that but Jost is basically his boss. Do you really want to be on camera making fun of your bosses crappy jokes?

And as much as I love Jimmy, his forte was never the Update desk; Tina really pulled a lot of the weight during their time together.   

True - if Jimmy did it by himself like Seth did, it probably wouldn't have worked as well. But I still think he managed to pull off the whole "comic delivering news punchlines" like Seth did, as mentioned upthread. Even if it wasn't as polished, that was part of the package with Jimmy. Much better for WU than the mismatched Che.

(edited)

I also thought the ISIS sketch was great, because, yeah, your kids should NOT be joining a death cult, especially if they're still under your roof, as marketdoctor has pointed out.  But I thought this point was obvious, and still don't understand the blowback. Is it because a specific terriorist group that's known for targeting emotionally lost teens was mentioned at all?

Bottom line: Parents, this is on you.  Don't let your kids grow up to be ISIS.

Edited by A Boston Gal
  • Love 5

Maybe Bobby's auditioning through Riblet? 

Thinking back to all the former WU anchors, facial reactions are just as important as line delivery, IMO. Also, being able to interact easily/appropriately with the "guests". Maybe the writers should go back to thinking of WU as sketches within a sketch and direct the anchors appropriately. 

I know next to nothing about Che, but to me he doesn't seem to connect to the material. Maybe that's why he comes across as bored, because he is bored. Also, Jost is basically personality free and gives nothing to play off of. He seems distant. I think that might have been the downfall of Cecily too, when Jost came on--the energy at the desk took a nosedive. 

They need to have someone who has natural charisma or someone who can play the character of an Update anchor, and then define that character--give him/her a quirk or a trademark or something. It would also help if the two anchors actually liked each other--I'm not getting that sense from Jost and Che. I don't think they dislike each other, they're just...there. 

Speaking of distant--Dakota strikes me that way, so that might be why the cast wasn't huggy/feely with her during the goodbyes. Some people accidentally come off as unapproachable and don't realize they're doing it. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I thought WU was okay this week.  And I usually don't think that.

What was Kenan's accent in the Worf skit?

I think it was what would happen if you were from a Klingon/Taiwanese home. (Well, a Klingon who was raised by Russians.  You can see how it would be a strange accent.)

Edited by JTMacc99

I also thought the ISIS sketch was great, because, yeah, your kids should NOT be joining a death cult, especially if they're still under your roof, as marketdoctor has pointed out.  But I thought this point was obvious, and still don't understand the blowback. Is it because a specific terriorist group that's known for targeting emotionally lost teens was mentioned at all?

Bottom line: Parents, this is on you.  Don't let your kids grow up to be ISIS.

This is what always kills me - there's always complaints in the media that SNL doesn't have cutting edge sketches or push the envelope.  And what happens when they do?  There's blowback.  I actually thought both of their ISIS sketches this season have been very clever - that Shark Tank one from the Chris Rock episode was great.  I know ISIS is a touchy subject, but that doesn't mean humor about it is beyond reproach.

• Love 4
(edited)

Cold Open - I didn't know this was a Birdman parody, but it was still pretty good. I liked Taran's facial expressions as he was walking through the backstage area.

Monologue - Another audience Q&A (even though it only really had one question). Kind of boring.

ISIS - I didn't know the video they were parodying (I was missing all the current references this show had!), so for most of it I was like "Where's this going? What's going on?", but it turned out to be a good parody. 

This is what always kills me - there's always complaints in the media that SNL doesn't have cutting edge sketches or push the envelope.  And what happens when they do?  There's blowback.  I actually thought both of their ISIS sketches this season have been very clever - that Shark Tank one from the Chris Rock episode was great.  I know ISIS is a touchy subject, but that doesn't mean humor about it is beyond reproach.

This is exactly what I was thinking when I heard about the backlash against this sketch. SNL can't win. 

I think the risk of parodies in general is that a lot of people don't understand that the point of the parody is to be like "we're making fun of how wrong (or sometimes inaccurate) this idea is". There are so many people that love Mean Girls that do not get that it is a parody moving and they just go "Oh yeah, that's what all girls are like! It's so hilarious because it's true!"

Cinderella - I thought that at least this was better than the other fairy tale themed sketches SNL has done lately (like Tonkerbell). I thought Cecily's dancing was funny. I was glad when it ended though and that it didn't drag on forever. 

Brave - I really liked this because it's something I think about a lot. Being honest doesn't always equal being rude, but I understand why they did the sketch that way for comedic purposes. I thought it was interesting that they kept the things the women were being honest about very simple. I feel like for so many sketches and characters at this point SNL just jumps to really weird or absurdist humour. So I thought it was good and made it relatable that the women were commenting on very normal issues, rather than having them be honest about Drunk Uncle or Girl at a Party type opinions. 

50 Shades of Grey - No.

Internship - I get what they were going for here, but it felt like such a retreat of so many other sketches/character. The Aidy character with the two broken arms felt very Kenan in the Gilly sketch or Aidy having dinner with Seth Rogen sketch where he has to feed her and the whole thing had a very "Girlfriends Talk Show, but older" vibe to it. I know I say this all the time, but not sure why in practically every sketch Aidy has to be the outcast/loser and Cecily has to be the ditz. I used to think the writers/Lorne were pushing both of them into these roles, but I'm starting to think it's because they can't do anything else (except for the occasional sassy/oversexualized character for Aidy or the tough-talker for Cecily). Also, this sketch really didn't go anywhere. It just seemed sort of aimless. There's only so long I can watch people misuse the word "literally" and the phrase "I can't even".

WU - I don't undertstand how Michael Che learned nothing from being around Jon Stewart at the Daily Show. Jon Stewart has such amazing delivery and personality at that desk. Unfortunately, none of that rubbed off on Che. I get that some people play WU to be closer to an actual news anchor, whereas Jon Stewart doesn't even pretend to do that, but that doesn't mean they all have to be monotone and devoid of personality. I also get the sense the Michael is either just a mean person who dislikes everyone or specifically dislikes Colin Jost. The way he said "so stupid" after one of Colin's jokes was really disdainful. For some reason I didn't like Colin's joke about the Batman kid's parents wanting to kill themselves. It just felt a little too mean, maybe because he is a kid that they're making fun of and not an adult.

I know next to nothing about Che, but to me he doesn't seem to connect to the material. Maybe that's why he comes across as bored, because he is bored. Also, Jost is basically personality free and gives nothing to play off of. He seems distant. I think that might have been the downfall of Cecily too, when Jost came on--the energy at the desk took a nosedive.

They need to have someone who has natural charisma or someone who can play the character of an Update anchor, and then define that character--give him/her a quirk or a trademark or something. It would also help if the two anchors actually liked each other--I'm not getting that sense from Jost and Che. I don't think they dislike each other, they're just...there.

That's how I felt about Cecily at the desk too. She seems funny and intelligent, but not charismatic or energetic enough or something. I mean, she was more energetic than Jost, but she just didn't have that umphf. Or it could be that she's very quiet and introverted in real life and only really feels comfortable playing characters. I feel most of the people in this cast are funny and intelligent, but missing something. It's like they're competent/good, but not great? Not sure how to describe it.

Loved Kate as Ruth Bader Ginsburg. I saw some of her Justin Bieber mannerisms in Ginsburg's dance moves, but it was still awesome. She can really dance. The Kanye part was okay and kind of fun. They have really just started to shoehorn Sasheer in wherever they can, just so they can still say she's a part of the show. I like Riblet's delivery of WU jokes, but I don't care for the whole backstory of his friendship with Michael Che and "jorbs". I did like that they tried to elevate the bit by having him remove his pigtails and tracksuit. That was better than him just coming out and doing the same thing as last time.

Worf MD - This was so wtf. It seemed like five minutes before the show started they found out about Leonard Nimoy and realized that Kenan was barely in any sketches, so they just shoehorned this in.

Net Effect - I liked Leslie's "First!" Other than that it was meh.

Good Neighbour - Meh.

I was distracted the whole episode by how much Dakota looks like a bunch of other celebrities combined. She's like Cat Deeley mixed with a bit of Anne Hathaway or something. Anyway, this one wasn't that great, but I kind of expected that the first show back after the 40th would be a bit rusty. When they started to live sketched with Cathy Anne I knew we were in trouble. I kept thinking "Oh crap, this is the best they've got tonight?!"

Edited by wudpixie