Type keyword(s) to search

S40.E14: Dakota Johnson / Alabama Shakes

• Start Topic

I saw part of this episode. I came in having no opinion of the actress, since I haven't seen 50 shades and have no intention of doing so. I liked it for the most part, a part from the skit with the broken arms.

I felt so bad for that "character". Someone being Bullied is NOT funny!  . The skit started out okay with slightly mean people being dumb, to a horrible gang up bullying scene. Now I know that I am overly sensitive to this but my boyfriend was also offended by this. We both agreed to turn off the show at that point. That skit ruined what was a funny episode that far!

Seriously

Who is watching the ISIS skit, and thinking... "This show supports ISIS recruitting teenagers"?

Well, I mean, let's just say if you made a Venn diagram of people who thought the sketch endorsed teenagers joining ISIS and people who unironically watch Fox News, you'd get some pretty significant overlap.

The drill Bobby used in that deleted sketch is going to haunt me for at least a week.

• Love 7

I wish they would've left that 50 Shades sketch in; Dakota actually had some spark in that one. Maybe they didn't want too many sketches focused on 50 Shades, but if that's the case, I would've chosen this one over the "Kyle as a kid interviewer" sketch.

• Love 2

I think it's probably one of two reasons:

-It could be that the kid sketch got bigger laughs in the dress rehearsal.

-They want to make Kyle's kid reviewer a recurring character, and they're testing it out.

Could be a little of column A and a little of column B too.  

• Love 1

The Kyle the kid sketch wasn't funny, and the cut "50 Shades" sketch of the playroom was. So why was the unfunny sketch kept in the show?

Because comedy is subjective. One probably got a better response from the audience than the other in dress.

It could have been something like the length of the two different sketches.  The more I read, it sounds like more often than not, time is an issue.

• Love 2

Still can't believe how shit Weekend Update is now. Even the Ruth Bader Ginsburg bit wasn't great! 

This show goes as Weekend Update goes, I think.  With a strong cast they might have had single seasons with a bad Update host, but that person inevitably got replaced by the next season.

The key is that even aside from good delivery, the Update person writes most of their own material.  So you can't harp on them being cheated by the writers or anything like that, since they ARE the writers.  if they can't deliver jokes, they might drag down the desk a bit but might still be able to do skits.  If they can't WRITE jokes, they deserve to be off the desk, and maybe off all of SNL, period.

• Love 1

Finally saw the cut scene. Loved Dakota's reaction to the "punishers".

It did remind me of an old Christopher Walken sketch where he played his Max Zorin, the villain from the Bond movie A View To A Kill, where he's captured James Bond(Phil Hartman) but his secret underground lair is still under construction.

I was actually pleasantly surprised by her ability to handle the scenes (though to be fair, I had extremely low expectations). I was embarrassed for her during the good nights. I mean, I always find the good nights awkward, but in this case it really felt like she hadn't connected with anyone.

• Love 1