Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Our Dancing Days

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Lucious tries to brand Empire Entertainment as a tight-knit, family-run business which, ironically, complicates the already tense relationship between Hakeem and Jamal. Meanwhile, Cookie and Anika don't hold anything back when it comes to taking over the company.

Calling it now... Honey Boo Boo Kitty is in cahoots with the female doctor to poison Lucious, especially evident after she drugged Courtney Love with ease and precision.  Rhonda could be on it too.  She looked so shifty when Lucious told the family about his ALS, but genuine in the shower with Andre. 

Jamal MARRIED Oliva?  WTH, more details please.  I love the soapy twists.  Everyone seems so accepting of the toddler -- why haven't they done a DNA test?

It was nice to see Cookie acknowledge Andre and his hard work.  I wish they'd have a scene or two together.

"CP time!"  I love the brave use of language on this show.

So many Matthew McConaughey Lincoln commercials that I was starting to think he was the new chauffeur character.

Edited by CofCinci
  • Love 10

Hakeem, be thankful she didn't throw a phone at you.  Naomi Campbell's is not the person you would call Bae.  EVER.

It's interesting how Lucious constantly pits Cookie against Anika and chooses the woman who is most convenient to him at the moment.  Anika for the ride to the hospital, Cookie to sell to the investors. 

Other than that...I'm still reeling from the last 10 minutes.  I can tolerate Terrance in very small doses but DAMN.  He and Taraji are amazing together to the point I will ignore the fact we had a "woman comes home and sees her man canoodling with another chick" less than a month ago.  

• Love 7

OH MY!  The revelation that Lucious is dying pushes him and Cookie into the sack while Anika receives an eye full.  What does Boo Boo Kitty do now?  It's glaring once again how Jamal and Hakeem takes precedence over Andre.  Lucious is comforting the two of them while poor pitiful Andre is unhinged sitting in the shower hyperventilating with his clothes on.  This show MUST work on better continuity.  Jamal's so-called daughter appeared but where was Olivia?  Also, the Lyons accepted this child as Jamal's way too easily.

• Love 2

Oh, Cookie, you let your sentimentality get the better of you. Stay away from that man. Go after Derek Luke and fix his hair while you are at it.

Lucious is such a two faced bastard, but he has moments when he is so sweet with Jamal like tonight. So much for Jamal cutting himself off. He is driving a tricked out Empire car. And I could only roll my eyes when he let his father take his possible daughter and then, handed her over to his mother. Spoilt thy name is Jamal. 

Cookie needs to get rid of Hakeem's mother substitute girlfriend before she sucks him into a marriage.

Annika doing the dirty to Elle was unforgivable. I was glad that she saw Lucious working Cookie in bed.

Andre is a mess. He needs to go see a doctor.

The Lyons really need to do a paternity test.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 9

I laughed when I saw Anika walk in the house.  Her punk-ass deserved a big eyeful for drugging Elle.  I hope that the selfie picture showed what she was doing so that she's kicked out of the company.

Tonight was a really good episode, I loved how the Lyons felt like a family in the end.  I hope Noami's character doesn't try to seduce Lucius to get some kind of leg up in the company.

• Love 6

They went there faster than I thought they would and oooh to Anika coming home and seeing it. She deserved it! Karma.

Her putting drugs and spiking the addicts tea was low and despicable. She showed no care for the company or Lucious, just making Cookie wrong. I originally thought that Lucious knew though, didn't the security guy see what Anika did/Elle drinking the tea? They showed his face, then they showed him pulling Lucious over to talk, then Lucious I was expecting to confront Anika but nothing happened. 

Terrance Howard was amazing during the scene where Lucious had no voice.  Then Cookie's speech? So good. Lucious's only one in the room clapping like a seal was awesome and his I love you with Anika there. 

May be he does know what she did, but isn't reacting for his own personal reasons (her doctor father or other reasons). His sending Cookie out there, ILY to her next to Anika, then his family meeting and sexing her up after their dance showed a second thought to Anika. 

Jamal and Hakeem working things out and singing together was wonderful, they're so great together. 

Lucious seemed to treat Jamal really different this episode since he became a baby daddy. (That little girl is adorable) Lucious was really the opposite with Jamal, supportive, loving, wanting him to be there and succeed. I think he even went up the favorite sons list. Andre's for sure now at the bottom.

Andre seems off his meds based on his reaction to the ALS news. How does the rest of them not realize or know he's not stable? 

Jamal was  denouncing Lucious's money, living in the bad area, but  he was still driving a Lincoln "Empire 4" car? 

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 5

Such a small part of a scene, but I cracked up when Lucious first pulled away Cookie while she was watching her sons perform. For that one second, they seemed like siblings who were annoyed with each other.

• Love 9

Too bad this likely makes Boo Boo Kitty secretly dangerous.  She's undoubtedly going to plot against her man and Cookie while keeping a faux smile on her face.

Good. I found her slipping Elle that mickie to make her more evil than Cookie and I don't like lazy ass writing like that. Up until now, she was just a sharp tongued girlfriend of Lucious and now, she's drugging people and what not? Yeah, didn't like it. 

I also don't like Cookie and Lucious as lovers, so that was another whatever. Then Anika getting an eyeful, well of course she should...that was karma. 

I'm more concerned about Andre who acted completely anti-Andre and everyone was basically like pause...and went on with it after he walked out. 

• Love 2

I really do feel so bad for Andre. I just want to hug him. He appears to be the most reserved but really feels things probably the deepest. I liked how Rhonda got him to calm down by focusing on their goal and not that his father is gonna die. He was having a panic attack and I think the actor did really good work in that scene.

• Love 16

I have no sympathy for Anika,  None.  Zero.  Zilp.  I was willing to cut her some slack and enjoy a somewhat delicious rivalry with Cookie.  But you do not sabotage a recovering addict -- one who has reached the point of wanting to go to AA -- by slipping them drugs just to make a rival look bad. Just no.  I hated for Cookie to sleep with Lucious but I am glad Anika saw them  getting it on in HER bed.  She is officially on my hate list.

I am glad that Hakeem and Jamal buried the hatchet.  I hated them being at odds.  Even though I think Hakeem is a petulant baby (props to the actor by the way -- he delivers on that so well) I liked the closeness of the brothers.

Lucious grew a small heart there during his conversation with Jamal.  He actually sounded a little bit like a loving father.

Rhonda had been telling Andre to take his meds and he has obviously been ignoring her.  

Cookie and Becky both trying to mack on Derek Luke is fun.

Will someone please do a paternity test on that child?

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 15

What Anika did to Elle was so profoundly stupid and ultimately OOC. What if Cookie hadn't found Elle? What if someone else let Elle go on? What if Elle wandered out high as a kite and talked to the potential investors? Anika's stunt would have messed up the showcase and potentially the IPO. Anika has always been about the business and Lucious. Her stunt humiliated Cookie, but had the potential to catastrophically ruin Lucious. This was a case of bad soapy plot writing getting in the way of sense.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 11

I have no sympathy for Anika, None. Zero. Zilp. I was willing to cut her some slack and enjoy a somewhat delicious rivalry with Cookie. But you do not sabotage a recovering addict -- one who has reached the point of wanting to go to AA -- by slipping them drugs just to make a rival look bad. Just no. I hated for Cookie to sleep with Lucious but I am glad Anika saw them getting it on in HER bed. She is officially on my hate list.

I am glad that Hakeem and Jamal buried the hatchet. I hated them being at odds. Even though I think Hakeem is a petulant baby (props to the actor by the way -- he delivers on that so well) I liked the closeness of the brothers.

Lucious grew a small heart there during his conversation with Jamal. He actually sounded a little bit like a loving father.

Rhonda had been telling Andre to take his meds and he has obviously been ignoring her.

Cookie and Becky both trying to mack on Derek Luke is fun.

Amen to everything you just said. I knew Cookie and Lucious were going to end up in bed when Annika had a "business trip"- classics TV trope. Lucious better watch out, Annika is dangerous. She will destroy Empire in her revenge. What she did to Elle was the lowest of low. You don't fuck with someone's sobriety!

• Love 2

What Anika did to Elle was so profoundly stupid and ultimately OOC. What if Cookie hadn't found Elle? What if someone else let Elle go on? What if Elle wandered out high as a kite and talked to the potential investors? Anika's stunt would have messed up the showcase and potentially the IPO. Anika has always been about the business and Lucious. Her stunt humiliated Cookie, but had the potential to catastrophically ruin Lucious. This was a case of bad soapy plot writing getting in the way of sense.

Exactly how I feel. 

• Love 1

Wow, I was riveted. I am this show's bitch.

You and me both! Whoever made the comment about the selfie catching Anika in the act, good eye! I hadn't thought of that and I hope that you are right because that was shady x 10. Now I am going to go cry because we only get 4 more episodes. Does anyone know how many episodes we are getting next year?

• Love 9

Oh man, Andre.  His identity is so wrapped up in the company/Luscious that you knew he wasn't going to take the ALS news well.  Even so, his meltdown was a hell of a thing to see.  I can't help thinking Hakeem's lucky the fight got broken up before Andre could fully get his hands on him.

Did the actor playing Michael get a new show or something?  His exit seemed oddly abrupt.

I laughed when I saw Anika walk in the house.  Her punk-ass deserved a big eyeful for drugging Elle.  I hope that the selfie picture showed what she was doing so that she's kicked out of the company.

Right?!  I was like, Boo Boo Kitty could be the new page picture for "Asshole Victim" over on TV Tropes.  What she did to Elle was straight-up cold-blooded. 

• Love 1

She's so cute, they all except Jamal seem to be getting attached to her. Since she's basically an orphan at this point, whether she's Jamal's or not for now they'll probably keep her. At least until Raven  comes back to claim the child. 

Interesting that Lucious was right about Jamal potentially being the dad and Cookie was wrong thinking they never slept together.

• Love 1

I thought the only reason Lucious picked Anika to ride in the ambulance was because, at that point, Cookie was still in the dark about his condition. I thought it was written on his face that he wanted Cookie there.

I have to admit, I was shocked when Anika drugged Elle's drink. Messing with an addict's tenuous sobriety is evil. Evil. My sympathy for her has waned significantly with that one action. I'm hoping security got it on tape. That deserves to be revealed.

• Love 7

I really thought someone would catch Annika in the act of drugging Elle's tea--either the person with the selfie, or the security guy, or even Becky--there was a moment of her looking at her phone with an odd expression. I also thought I'd missed something--was she really willing to risk having this big show go to hell just to make Cookie look bad?

Most powerful scene: Andre in hysterics in the shower. I was happy to see him get recognition in Cookie's speech, though.

I was surprised there wasn't more unwanted publicity over Lucious's emergency trip to the hospital. He was carried out of the building on a stretcher! I'm waiting for a National Enquirer-type publication to run a screaming "Lucious Lyon Dying" headline.

• Love 3

I loved Hakeem trying to put the glass down while making eyes at Naomi. You could tell he was trying to be so smooth and failing/flailing miserably.

I agree that there is no way Lucious' hospitalization wouldn't have made the news or at least blogs: bossip, gawker, TMZ.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 7

I really thought someone would catch Annika in the act of drugging Elle's tea--either the person with the selfie, or the security guy, o

I thought that too, because they showed the drugging, Anika leaving, Elle drinking the tea, then the security guy watching from the sides face. So I thought that meant he saw it.

• Love 1

I loved Hakeem trying to put the glass down while making eyes at Naomi. You could tell he was trying to be so smooth and failing/flailing miserably.

What did the chef say to him? Something about her being on an entirely different date than Hakeem? That was funny!

• Love 3

Does anyone know how many episodes we are getting next year?

This may sound odd, but I actually hope it's only 12 like this year. I think a regular schedule of 22 or so shows would grind the show down in terms of quality (look at what happened to Sleepy Hollow this year). I don't think it will be more than 16 or so because I remember reading that TPH said she liked being able to do the show and then go off and do something else for a substantial amount of time-working on 22 hour long episodes would prevent her from doing anything else.

• Love 3

I'm thinking Jamal getting all attached to that little girl is going to end in heartache... when it's revealed she's not his kid.

Things happen fast in the Empire universe. Within hours that adorable little child was calling members her new family "Auntie Rhonda", "Uncle Hakeem", cuddling with "Nana Cookie" and playing cutesy games with "Grampy Lucious". Lol!

I get that they can't be all distant with a child.. especially one whose mother abandoned her like that... but damn that was fast work!!

• Love 1

Okay some thoughts until I can actually process this episode (this show moves so fast!):

- I didn't want Cookie to hook up with Lucious but I'll make an exception here because it was pure karma for Boo Boo Kitty. Spiking a recovering addict's drink is just evil and not delicious evil but just plain evil.

- Hakeem that "mamma" replacement you have is gonna cause you some serious problems. Also where is Tianna?

- Cookie's speech to the investors was made of awesome.

- I'm also glad that Lucious was finally upfront about his sickness and I may not like him but him and Cookie have some serious chemistry.

- Poor Andre :( Rhonda sure does love her man.

NOTE: I really need next week to come quickly purely because I'm ready to download that Jamal/Snoop song right now.

Edited by kdm07
  • Love 8

Anyone else really like the title for this episode? "Our Dancing Days" is so romantic, bittersweet and nostalgic. It's even sad, when you think how a person with ALS will eventually lose the ability to dance with a partner the way he did in the past. Anyway, I just think it was a good choice.

• Love 14

Bye Mikey, you sure didn't have much confidence in your relationship. Oh well, based on the previews, Jamal won't miss ya long.

I'm calling it now, they'll all get attached to that little girl and lo and behold she'll be related to Jamal but not as his daughter, course I'm watching Nashville right now and this plot has been done to death. Then again, they may surprise us and she'll actually be his.

Oh Boo Boo Kitty, wrong move. Why mess things up with Elle, you only end up shooting yourself in the foot. Great way to help out your man! Course payback is a bitch.

Poor Andre, the one who wants the kingdom is the last one his father wants to give it to.

• Love 1

Well than that happened

Lucious is a piece of shit IMO and Cookie is gonna get burned and that's what she gets messing with him.

I'm glad Cookie gave the speech I love how she always slide in that Lucious left her lol

And everybody is right they do need a DNA test on that little girl but her momma needs her ass kicked for leaving that little girl.

I hope Cookie keeps that little girl she always wanted a daughter.

• Love 3

I really thought someone would catch Annika in the act of drugging Elle's tea--either the person with the selfie, or the security guy, or even Becky--there was a moment of her looking at her phone with an odd expression. I also thought I'd missed something--was she really willing to risk having this big show go to hell just to make Cookie look bad?

YES! What's the payoff? Elle was picked days before, so when she doesn't show, the boys get their time in the spotlight. That whole elaborate routine obviously was going to be done sometime that night since the dancers were ready, and Cookie didn't look that bad. Why risk everything? The security guy had to have seen it, and it's coming back later.

Edited to add, the end was HOT

Edited by TaxNerd
  • Love 5

Bye Mikey, you sure didn't have much confidence in your relationship. Oh well, based on the previews, Jamal won't miss ya long.

He had something better--he had respect for himself.  I loved that he didn't like the implications of Jamal's radio interview and decided to remove himself from the situation. 

I hated that Anika drugged Elle.  That was low and I don't like that they took her that low.  Not everyone can be doing bodily harm or this show will grow old fast.  But it sure as heck made her seeing Lucious and Cookie in bed together so satisfying.  I don't ship Lucious and Cookie, by the way, but I do think Cookie earned herself some lovin'.  She has to get him out of her system.  The chemistry is great. 

Other than a few big moments, I otherwise felt like this episode was filler.  Entertaining filler but filler nevertheless. 

• Love 8

Damn, this show doesn't drag things out much, do they?  Now, everyone knows that Lucious as ALS, and Lucious/Cookie already fell back into bed, and this only episode seven!  Not sure what to make of this.  I still feel like this relationship is toxic and destined to fail, but I really do love how Taraji P. Henson and Terrence Howard play against each other, and I can totally buy that these two would still have feelings, despite all the shit in their past, and for all the reasons they really should never want to be near each other.  Either way, I'm loving it.

Meanwhile, Anika is close to full-blown evil.  Drugging Ellie like that was the one thing that made me think the show went a bit too far. I always got the impression that Anika is a business woman first, and she wouldn't do something this risky, that could have hurt the company in general.  I wished they found another way for her to be petty and try and undermine Cookie.  Still, I think it's accomplished the main goal at making her vindictive, and the get her ass kicked by karma, by spotting the hook-up.  I'm sure though that she won't go down without a fight.

I actually felt bad for Andre tonight.  The dude is clearly not stable and I think he will truly snap sometime down the line, but... I don't know, I just felt for him.  I felt like him freaking out about how the ALS will effect Empire going public was just his way to cope about what he just heard, and he truly was freaking out that Lucious basically just said he is going to die soon.  And, I do think he really wanted to prove his worth to the company, when Lucious lost his voice, even though I think Lucious was right to send Cookie instead.

Glad Jamal and Hakeem seem to on more stable terms.  I like them best when they are getting along.  And, their song was pretty catchy too.  Those two work well together.  Too bad everyone is else is trying to make them go to war.

The more everyone bonds with the little girl, the more I think it's not going to be Jamal's.  For an extra soapy twist, it will probably be one of the other Lyons.  Maybe even Lucious himself!  This show would totally go there.

It looked like Derek Luke's character was eyeing Naomi Campbell's character at the party, but I don't think anything came out of it.  I wonder what that was all about?

Lucious' "choice" in the ambulance cracked me up.  For a second, I thought he was going to try a third option.  Like go "Um... I want Vernon to ride with me.  Don't ask why, dammit!  Because, reasons!  Get your ass in here, Vernon!"

So, that magical cure was just a trick?  I can't remember, didn't Anika's dad set this up?  Was he part of this?  Either way, the doctor better have skipped town, because this being Lucious... well, see Bunky.  This time, he'll probably even give Vernon a heads up, so they can get a cover story ready.

I really do get a kick out of this show.  Whatever it is, it just works.  I'm even willing to look past some of it's flaws, because there is just so much about it I like.  Of course, Cookie will always top that list.  Such an entertaining, awesome character!

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 7

Andre's reaction to his father's medical condition was very well portrayed by the actor. I found him initially thinking about how his father's condition affected the company realistic and sad. 

I wonder where the payoff will be wrt someone figuring out what Anika did to poor Elle (BTW, loved her song). I can't see it making me feel any better about it. I wanted her caught NOW. It sucks that Elle ended this episode falling on the bathroom floor. 

I'm a bit confused by Jamal's storyline. Did he "voluntarily" marry Olivia or did Lucious basically force it? And did Michael (or anyone else, for that matter) know about this marriage? 

I kinda like that Michael left so quickly. On another show, the significant other would've stayed on and on and on until Jamal (or whomever) did something *really* bad, ie. have a fake relationship with a female artist. 

Edited by memememe76
  • Love 5

Bye, Michael! Now we know why they never wasted any time developing his character. There goes some of the diversityof the cast, though.

While Annika (sp?) was horribly wrong, and OOC in drugging Elle, Courtney's spectacularly over the top performance had me ROFL, which makes me a terrible person.

Cooke should be nicer to Porsha. She should know by now that you don't always stay at the top, and you need to cultivate relationships. Her treatment smacks of entitlement, and that's not how her character is usually portrayed.

Andre and Rhonda still fascinate me. That shower scene was great.

I don't think the daughter is going anywhere. I watch too much TV, and a daughter is the most frequent accessory given to a gay male. Ready-made family for when Jamal eventually comes out and marries during sweeps.

• Love 1

Good. I found her slipping Elle that mickie to make her more evil than Cookie and I don't like lazy ass writing like that. Up until now, she was just a sharp tongued girlfriend of Lucious and now, she's drugging people and what not? Yeah, didn't like it. 

I also don't like Cookie and Lucious as lovers, so that was another whatever. Then Anika getting an eyeful, well of course she should...that was karma. 

I'm more concerned about Andre who acted completely anti-Andre and everyone was basically like pause...and went on with it after he walked out.

I forgave them for not tending to Andre. Their father just told them that he is dying. Trust me when I tell you that you dont hear ANYTHING after that.

• Love 1

Namedrops: Chef Ramsey and Lana Del Rey.

I hope that Cookie is now going to string Lucious along. I don't see Cookie going back to him, even if he's super in the sack. She has gotten the fuzzy end of that attention lollipop and hasn't liked it a bit.

Andre has practically no one in his corner but Rhonda. Cookie was just hearing the news and was devastated as well. Hakeem just was willfully ignorant about how grief comes out of people. Jamal was right there trying to stop it from going further, a plus for Hakeem. Apparently Hakeem never spent time around Andre's "slit your throat" side. Hakeem needs to get knocked out of his complacency. Jamal needs to too, but in a different way, imo. Yes, look into the child's paternity, but don't blame the child for the grown-ups' actions. She is indeed adorable  and Becky needed a thank you, minimum; ideally a nice restaurant reservation and the +1 of her choice, but that's me.

Boo Boo Kitty has earned her nickname now. Her actions were OOC for Ms. Biz, especially as it could have harmed getting investors messed with other business aspects. It still may. Plus, who does that in such a crowded, personal-phones allowed environment. Anika had to know she couldn't account for every personal phone, so why try something so easily seen? I hope that Elle goes after Anika, seeing as how I doubt Elle sober won't put two and two together. Anika effed with the wrong pair of "old women" and things will not go smoothly for the future ex-Mrs. Lyon.

Poor Vernon; I kinda missed him tonight.

Oh, Yoko; you pout more than Tiana. Get a grip.

Looking forward to the next episode so, so much!