Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Grammy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Also: for those interested, Kacey's video for her song "Rainbow" came out yesterday. I am curious to see if country radio is going get on board in the way they finally did with Chris Stapleton; they simply CANNOT ignore her anymore, period.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I hate Cardi B.  To me, she's the epitome of "we like black music, we just don't like black people performing it."  I don't get this adoration of her.  She can take that faux Bronx accent and leave.

I think she's a flash in the pan. She won't be around a couple of years from now.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, topanga said:

I’d actually forgotten about the song, ‘Here you come again’ until her tribute. I used to sing that song constantly as a kid—and had no idea what it was about. Just loved Dolly’s voice. 

I'd kinda forgotten it, too, but it's being used in some commercial lately.  A lot.  Really a lot.  And I enjoy the song, but have no recollection of what the commercial is for.  So take that, Madison Avenue! 

• LOL 1

I cant believe I am the only one among you eagle-eyed posters that saw JLo diss KM after her performance by mouthing "Yep. And she has saggy boobs" to the person in front of her. Possibly Tracy Ellis Ross? The camera was focusing on Lady Gaga but you could clearly see JLo behind her. All it took was a couple of rewind and you could see it, plain  as day.

9 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I hate Cardi B.  To me, she's the epitome of "we like black music, we just don't like black people performing it."  I don't get this adoration of her.  She can take that faux Bronx accent and leave.

I can’t entirely disagree but I also think she’s the result of hip-hop devolving into sex raps and superficiality. I think the genre forces females into rapping about the same stuff, and when that happens, it just becomes about whoever is hot rapping about bullshit over a generic trap beat. 

That being said, Cardi B is proof that with a budget and professionals and raw talent and hard work, you can accomplish a lot. Only female artist to have every song on her album get a Gold or Platinum certification, and Bodak Yellow has sold over 9 million records worldwide. Thats saying something.

Edited by 27bored
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, cpcathy said:

I think she's a flash in the pan. She won't be around a couple of years from now.

I'm always amazed that someone from love and hip hop actually won a music industry award.

BUT, pretty happy about childish Gambino s video getting such recognition.  It makes me feel things and music videos so rarely do that.

LOL, watched 58 seconds of jlo's Motown tribute.  What a fantastically and hilariously bad idea.  

In a year where three black artists call out the Grammy's for not being diverse enough, and the Grammy's thought that the diversity of jlo doing motowns greatest hits was the right idea?  Goodness, such edginess, such diversity!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, 27bored said:

I can’t entirely disagree but I also think she’s the result of hip-hop devolving into sex raps and superficiality. I think the genre forces females into rapping about the same stuff, and when that happens, it just becomes about whoever is hot rapping about bullshit over a generic trap beat. 

That being said, Cardi B is proof that with a budget and professionals and raw talent and hard work, you can accomplish a lot. Only female artist to have every song on her album get a Gold or Platinum certification, and Bodak Yellow has sold over 9 million records worldwide. Thats saying something.

Check out the number of production staff on her album...I don't think she contributed much to the writing process. I think she won more for demographic reasons and mass appeal reasons than anything related to talent.

I was pretty annoyed that she won over Mac Miller. None of the songs I've heard from her are remotely on the same level as Swimming and it's ridiculous that they would imply it was. All she has is catchiness (and she most likely has little contribution to producing her songs), that's it, there's no substance to it. I didn't listen to the other nominated albums but heard they were better than hers also.

8 minutes ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

I'd probably take Cardi B more seriously if she spoke like a literate grown woman instead of a 5-year-old on speed. If she legitimately has some sort of a speech disorder, I apologize. And her sad sack of a sister, Hennessy is even more obnoxious. 

I legitimately thought she was mentally challenged because of how she acts and talks. Supposedly her high school history teacher said she was a good student and took AP US History though so maybe this is all an act and she has hidden depths.

Also heard that Vinnie Paul from Pantera was not even honored in the memoriam segment. That's a pretty big oversight of them considering he was one of the most important metal drummers in one of the most important metal bands.

I love Motown above all other genres,  but I could've lived happily without a lip-synched "tribute" by a booty-shaking Latina "from the Bronx."

Ah,  well. I'm also supposed to care about some sort of "history" made by a female singer who was given the Show-Biz name of "Bacardi" backwards. 

Hey,  I'm not that much of a fogey! I think Janelle Monae is very talented!

But I am a Too Oldie,  because the "Prince" allusion above totally escaped me!

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Bluedog100 said:

I cant believe I am the only one among you eagle-eyed posters that saw JLo diss KM after her performance by mouthing "Yep. And she has saggy boobs" to the person in front of her. Possibly Tracy Ellis Ross? The camera was focusing on Lady Gaga but you could clearly see JLo behind her. All it took was a couple of rewind and you could see it, plain  as day.

I saw her make some sort of disapproving face, but I did NOT make out what she was saying. WOW. And I've always LIKED J-Lo (Tracee Ellis Ross, too, for that matter.)

Whatever. Kacey rules. 🙂 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 2

Janelle was giving me Rober Palmer, MJ, Prince, and James Brown feels in that one performance. It was so mesmerizing. 

I did like Kacey’s album, but Janelle did deserve to win Album of the Year. Probably my favorite album of 2018.

I can’t believe H.E.R is only 21 years old. She deserves all the success in the world.

Cardi B can definitely grate. But, these past couple weeks or so, seeing her talk about politics and etc..., she has a brain, and I did read about her teacher saying she was smart and a good student, so maybe it’s just her tone of voice, accent, and her playing it up. She has beats and bops, and if I to choose between listening to her and Nicki, I choose Cardi all day.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, 27bored said:

Raw talent and hard work are SOME of the reasons she's successful.  If she were a brown skinned woman who didn't have straight hair, I doubt her career would be anywhere.

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

Raw talent and hard work are SOME of the reasons she's successful.  If she were a brown skinned woman who didn't have straight hair, I doubt her career would be anywhere.

Sadly I think you’re right. I’ve heard stories about how blatantly colorist the industry is. 

I do wonder if that is music industry specific or if it’s the entertainment industry writ-large. Because even though Cardi has the industry stats, a big part of her success is that she’s become a household name. A celebrity. It seems like if she was just a chick who could rap, she could probably get signed, but I don’t know if she would be guest-hosting Jimmy Fallon, on the cover of magazines, and the toast of Fashion Week if she weren’t light-skinned with the right lace front/wig.

• Love 1
On 2/10/2019 at 9:53 PM, mojoween said:

Oh hahaha Drake starts saying Grammys don’t matter and not only did they cue the music, it slammed right to a commercial.  There must be some juicy gossip there.  I mean, if he didn’t want it, why did he come?

Just catching up on the forum, and I don't know if this is unpopular or not, but I cannot stand when entertainers do this. It's equally annoying to me when they get up there with no speech prepared although they knew well in advance that they were nominated. 

I don't find it cute when an entertainer wins an award, goes up on stage, and says that it should've gone to another nominee (John Mayer/Adele) or say that it's bullshit (Drake). I think it's disrespectful to the team that worked with you on the album. You're pretty much saying that their work wasn't shit because your album wasn't the projected winner. 

And let's be real, they're not going to give the grammy back, so what's the point of even saying that? Besides indulging in false modesty and fakery. I don't know how this works, but I'm sure if you don't feel like your work was up to par, you can either withdraw your name from submission or if you can't, stay home. 

I don't think J.Lo is top of anyone's mind whenever you think of Motown, but I'll stay in unpopular opinion territory and say that I didn't think the performance was that bad. She stayed in her lane, vocally, and put on a good show. 

20 minutes ago, Sheenieb said:

I don't find it cute when an entertainer wins an award, goes up on stage, and says that it should've gone to another nominee (John Mayer/Adele) or say that it's bullshit (Drake). I think it's disrespectful to the team that worked with you on the album. You're pretty much saying that their work wasn't shit because your album wasn't the projected winner. 

OTOH, is it any better when people use it to subtly or not so subtly shit on other people? Because that's what Taylor Swift did when she won in 2016, right at the beginning of the "Famous" controversy with Kanye (and boy did THAT turn on her later on). That's what I loved about Adele winning a year later and being classy, dignified, and kind towards Beyonce--she thanked everyone who had worked with her/the Academy for giving her the award, while also giving a sweet, very graceful shout out to Beyonce, as a fan of her work and knowing how many people felt she deserved the award that year. I think that was a awesome thing to do, and was a GREAT example of female artists supporting each other. And quite frankly, in an era where SO many fans of female artists on social media pit these women against each other, we need MORE of this going forward, not less. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, BuyMoreAndSave said:

.I don't think she contributed much to the writing process.

She didn't. That's not even a secret. It's one of the reasons old school Hip Hop/Rap purists don't respect her because she openly admits to not writing her rhymes. 

• Useful 1

When J Lo started shaking her ass during that Motown thing I kept thinking Ricky Martin was going to come out and start singing his song Shake Your Bon-Bon. In my defense Ricky had been on stage performing earlier in the night.

7 minutes ago, Jaded said:

When J Lo started shaking her ass during that Motown thing I kept thinking Ricky Martin was going to come out and start singing his song Shake Your Bon-Bon. In my defense Ricky had been on stage performing earlier in the night.

lmao...

1 hour ago, truthaboutluv said:

She didn't. That's not even a secret. It's one of the reasons old school Hip Hop/Rap purists don't respect her because she openly admits to not writing her rhymes. 

Yeah that's BS. She should have been ineligible for the award for that reason alone. The entire point of rap is to write your own rhymes (and it's not like her lyrics are particularly intelligent either). If she doesn't write her music or lyrics then what exactly is her "talent" that makes her worthy of an award? Her annoying voice?

Meanwhile Swimming is an album that people will be listening to for the rest of their lives.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, UYI said:

OTOH, is it any better when people use it to subtly or not so subtly shit on other people?

Nope. I'm all about supporting the other nominees and being grateful to be in the same category. All I'm saying is, get up, thank your team/whomever, and sit your ass back down. None of this performative bullshit about breaking a piece of the grammy and giving it to who the public thinks should've won. Especially since music is subjective anyway. 

3 hours ago, Sheenieb said:

I don't think J.Lo is top of anyone's mind whenever you think of Motown, but I'll stay in unpopular opinion territory and say that I didn't think the performance was that bad. She stayed in her lane, vocally, and put on a good show.  

And here I figured that she stayed in Ashanti's lane, vocally, just like she's been doing all her career.

4 hours ago, 27bored said:

It seems like if she was just a chick who could rap, she could probably get signed, but I don’t know if she would be guest-hosting Jimmy Fallon, on the cover of magazines, and the toast of Fashion Week if she weren’t light-skinned with the right lace front/wig.

Sadly that is true.  The entertainment industry as a whole is colorist and racist.  They love black music, they just don't love black people performing it (Cardi B and/or Bruno Mars to name a few).

6 hours ago, Sheenieb said:

I'll go with you and as Diana Ross was celebrating her birthday it evoked the era of Motown when the Supremes and Temptations were on Top and doing the Vegas like show circuit. and not the grittier times a few years later when a matured Stevie Wonder was producing more politically evocative music along with Marvin Gaye and The Temptations were starting to incorporate the Funk

8 hours ago, Sheenieb said:

Just catching up on the forum, and I don't know if this is unpopular or not, but I cannot stand when entertainers do this. It's equally annoying to me when they get up there with no speech prepared although they knew well in advance that they were nominated. 

And let's be real, they're not going to give the grammy back, so what's the point of even saying that? Besides indulging in false modesty and fakery. I don't know how this works, but I'm sure if you don't feel like your work was up to par, you can either withdraw your name from submission or if you can't, stay home. 

Exactly. I think a lot of these artists are self-centered so they do a lot of self-centered shit. How about just being gracious and humble and letting it be that? Drake barely shows up to the Grammys and then when he does show he wants to give this BS speech about true success? Man, please. You submitted that song because you wanted to win. Period. 

7 hours ago, UYI said:

OTOH, is it any better when people use it to subtly or not so subtly shit on other people? Because that's what Taylor Swift did when she won in 2016, right at the beginning of the "Famous" controversy with Kanye (and boy did THAT turn on her later on). That's what I loved about Adele winning a year later and being classy, dignified, and kind towards Beyonce--she thanked everyone who had worked with her/the Academy for giving her the award, while also giving a sweet, very graceful shout out to Beyonce, as a fan of her work and knowing how many people felt she deserved the award that year. I think that was a awesome thing to do, and was a GREAT example of female artists supporting each other. And quite frankly, in an era where SO many fans of female artists on social media pit these women against each other, we need MORE of this going forward, not less. 

I disliked that because it was inconsiderate of the team of people who were behind her who...kinda don’t give two fucks about Beyoncé’s “my man ain’t shit” album. And also, Adele was doing all that damn crying, but if Beyonce has won, she wouldn’t have said shit about Adele and she damn sure wouldn’t have broken off a piece of her award for her.

7 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

6 hours ago, BuyMoreAndSave said:

Yeah that's BS. She should have been ineligible for the award for that reason alone. The entire point of rap is to write your own rhymes (and it's not like her lyrics are particularly intelligent either). If she doesn't write her music or lyrics then what exactly is her "talent" that makes her worthy of an award? Her annoying voice?

Meanwhile Swimming is an album that people will be listening to for the rest of their lives.

Well, here’s the thing: Cardi has writing credits on every song on her album. I don’t doubt she’s had A LOT of writing help, I think a lot of the credit goes to the producers who knew what the music needed to feel like. I mean, I can believe Cardi has a hand in writing her lyrics. How clever or witty are her lyrics in the first place? Even her flows aren’t all that intricate. I just think Cardi is the rare NY rapper who knows that the bop will take you further than just bars. This usually comes naturally to down-South rappers who know you have to put together records that will keep the party going rather than flipping intricate rhymes. 

4 hours ago, vibeology said:

And here I figured that she stayed in Ashanti's lane, vocally, just like she's been doing all her career.

LOL. I hate to say this, but I remember Ashanti’s heyday. Ashanti was a cute, light-skinned around-the-way girl with a sweet but thin voice. She knew her way around a hook, but Ashanti wasn’t a star. She was a glorified hook girl. In fact, going back to prior comments about colorism, Lil Mo was a much better singer than Ashanti, but Ashanti might’ve only taken off because she was the cute light-skinned chick. So if her label decided to try and make money by giving some of her material to J Lo, take that up with Irv Gotti and them. J Lo is still a star; Ashanti is...at the house tweeting.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Sadly that is true.  The entertainment industry as a whole is colorist and racist.  They love black music, they just don't love black people performing it (Cardi B and/or Bruno Mars to name a few).

I wonder what’s next for Bruno. I wonder if he’s going to do something fresh and original or if he’s going to Bel Biv Devoe us again. I wouldn’t mind an artist that was an honest throwback to the New Jack Swing era full time — think of how Leon Bridges is a throwback to old school soul — but I am a little tired of the Six Flags R&B Revue type of teas Bruno has been serving since 2nd term Obama. S’time to get a new gig.

8 hours ago, BuyMoreAndSave said:

I agree, but I will say this is yet another example of hip-hop being full of shit (not you, but a commentary on the culture). When Mac dropped that album, hip-hip barely paid it attention. They were too busy doing that corny ass In My Feelings challenge and following that lame ass beef between MGK and Eminem. 

Hip-hop didn’t give Mac Miller his flowers while he was here, but then when the Grammy voters fail to do the same thing, now you see all these people talking about good his project was. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, 27bored said:

Well, here’s the thing: Cardi has writing credits on every song on her album. I don’t doubt she’s had A LOT of writing help, I think a lot of the credit goes to the producers who knew what the music needed to feel like. I mean, I can believe Cardi has a hand in writing her lyrics. How clever or witty are her lyrics in the first place? Even her flows aren’t all that intricate. I just think Cardi is the rare NY rapper who knows that the bop will take you further than just bars. This usually comes naturally to down-South rappers who know you have to put together records that will keep the party going rather than flipping intricate rhymes.

Well except Outkast, Killer Mike, and so on...the South brings lyricism to the table too! I think she's just the latest trend with the kids and everyone will forget her in five years...I Like It is a catchy song but only because it samples a very famous song; Finesse was Bruno Mars' thing; and Bodak Yellow did nothing for me.

3 hours ago, 27bored said:

I agree, but I will say this is yet another example of hip-hop being full of shit (not you, but a commentary on the culture). When Mac dropped that album, hip-hip barely paid it attention. They were too busy doing that corny ass In My Feelings challenge and following that lame ass beef between MGK and Eminem.

Hip-hop didn’t give Mac Miller his flowers while he was here, but then when the Grammy voters fail to do the same thing, now you see all these people talking about good his project was. 

Honestly I didn't even listen to his music before he died. For some reason I assumed he made music along the lines of the more popular rap music these days which isn't generally my thing (I like mostly 90s and alternative rap). Then after he died I decided randomly to check him out due to morbid curiosity and it turned out to be exactly my thing. I was kicking myself like "damn it why didn't I know about this earlier?!" I don't know/care what the kids are listening to these days (lol) or whatever Drake is up to (never got the enduring appeal of his music) but I thought the Grammys were supposed to be an objective measure of the best music and every Mac Miller song I have heard is superior to every Cardi B song I have heard (haven't listened to the other nominated albums). Mass appeal definitely has little to do with musical quality and some of the best music came from artists that had a small fanbase.

Edited by BuyMoreAndSave

In case anyone is looking for options as to where and how to watch red carpet coverage and the actual show, I found this on Newsweek's site...

How to Watch Grammy Awards 2020: Live Stream, Red Carpet Shows, Air Times and More

The star-studded ceremony kicks off on CBS at 8 p.m. ET. Viewers without access to television can still watch the show on any smart device by tuning into CBS' live stream on the network's website or the CBS All Access app. Those with access to Hulu + Live, Apple TV, YouTube TV, Amazon Fire, PlayStation Vue, Roku and Xbox One can also live stream the Grammys.

Fans don't have to worry about missing out on all the red carpet action either. CBS teamed up with Entertainment Tonight for the annual red carpet pre-show, Grammys Red Carpet Live, which can also be live streamed on the network's website and app. Red carpet coverage begins at 7 p.m. ET. Entertainment Tonight hosts Kevin Frazier and Keltie Knight are set to host Grammy Red Carpet Live, interviewing artists as they arrive along with sharing behind-the-scenes glimpses of the show and backstage access.

Viewers can tune into all the red carpet madness with Entertainment Weekly's Red Carpet Live: At the Grammy Awards show, hosted by EW's Gerrad Hall and People magazine personalities Jeremy Parsons and Janine Rubenstein. The live stream event will air on EW's website starting at 6 p.m. ET.

As always, E! will provide its own coverage of the music celebration. The cable network will kick off Grammy Day with its E! Countdown to the Red Carpet: The 2020 Grammys show beginning at 4 p.m. ET. Then Giuliana Rancic and Ryan Seacrest will get all the inside details on the red carpet glam from artists as they arrive at the Grammys during E! Live From the Red Carpet at 6 p.m. ET.

Arianda Grande is doing some ridiculous shtick on the carpet as she poses for photos.  I don't know what the point of it is supposed to be.  I mean, yes, she is trying to be goofy and silly and over-exaggerated in her poses and reactions -- and I'm sure she is trying to poke fun at the whole red carpet scenario -- but to me her "act" just looks silly and pointless.

Edited by TVFan17
5 minutes ago, TVFan17 said:

and I'm sure she is trying to poke fun at the whole red carpet scenario -

If only. It'd be less embarrassing. Except I don't think that's what she's doing because Ariana has never shown herself to be the type to poke fun at the silliness of these things and have a sense of humor about herself. This is after all a girl who refuses to stop wearing a damn ponytail and only take pictures/poses from one angle because she's adamant that that is her best side. 

• Love 4

If only. It'd be less embarrassing. Except I don't think that's what she's doing because Ariana has never shown herself to be the type to poke fun at the silliness of these things and have a sense of humor about herself. This is after all a girl who refuses to stop wearing a damn ponytail and only take pictures/poses from one angle because she's adamant that that is her best side. 

Well, I was trying to give her the benefit of the doubt because some of what she was doing was so exaggerated that I just knew there was no way it could be serious or real.  But either way, whether she is trying to be funny or whether she is actually "that person," it looked ridiculous and silly (especially based on what I saw on the Entertainment Weekly stream)!  lol  I am tired of her anyway, but this didn't help matters any.  I don't care if she has a good voice.  I'm just over her (and the ponytail)!

Edited by TVFan17

Isn't she a Disney'd kid? All of those kids who grew up on Disney are stunted in maturity to me. 

21 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Tanya Tucker has a LOT of makeup on and parts of her face look frozen!  Oh Tanya.  I like her, too.

I was noticing that -- and I think she has had even more work done to her face since the last time I saw her on anything on TV (can't recall if it was a red carpet or talk show, or performance, but it was within the last couple of years).

1 minute ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Alicia & Boys to Men: lovely tribute

Yes!  

So many in that audience are more marketing than actual musical talent.  It's also wonderful to see singers demonstrating their true abilities by performing a capella.

• Love 3

Damn I just love me some Lizzo. So glad she broke the flute out for this performance. I’ve been playing flute for over 20 years so I love what she’s doing for flutists right now! I’d love to get my hands on some of her music for my flute choir!

• Love 3

I'm not a big country music fan (or country-pop fan) for the most part, but I actually didn't think the Gwen Stefani-Blake Shelton song was too bad.  It was catchier than I expected it to be.  I wouldn't buy it, but if I saw them perform it on another show, I'd probably watch the whole thing.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Mountainair said:

Damn I just love me some Lizzo. So glad she broke the flute out for this performance. I’ve been playing flute for over 20 years so I love what she’s doing for flutists right now! I’d love to get my hands on some of her music for my flute choir!

I am not her demographic but honestly I am 59 and if there had been more body-positive girls like her when I was struggling as a teenager, things would have been different for me. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, DuckyinKy said:

I am not her demographic but honestly I am 59 and if there had been more body-positive girls like her when I was struggling as a teenager, things would have been different for me. 

I don’t think I’m her demographic either. 35 with three kids. But I love my flute and old school rap which is what she reminds me of. Plus her voice is killer! I generally like people to be covered up. Fat, skinny, in between. But I appreciate her body positive image that she preaches. Everyone should feel comfortable in their own skin. And again..... FLUTE!!!!! 

• Love 2