Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Grammy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Well this maudlin mess just about sums up the entire tone of this night... Yeah I'll be happy to put this Grammy show behind me.

And the twist ending of the night....all these performers are already dead.

• Love 2

I'm all for a great gospel song, but I'm not feeling this Beyonce number.  I'm not feeling the true emotion that makes gospel so great. It just seems like a stunt.  

Now Common/John Legend... I can handle this.  

Is it wrong that I wish Mary J. Blige was singing this instead?

Hope not, because I had the exact same thought.  Should've had her come out and do that instead of singing with Sam Smith... 

Has Beyonce ever met a melisma she didn't like?  (I think melismas are cheap tricks to disguise pitch problems, fwiw.)

Ugh. AMEN.  Drives me batty.  Christina Aguilera suffers from the same affliction.  Distracting and so unnecessary.  (and don't get me started on performers who take it upon themselves to do that to the National Anthem. I just can't even with them. If any song was ever NOT.ABOUT.THE.PERFORMER. it's that one.  Sing it the way it's supposed to be sung!  /tangential rant over.)

Edited by loriro
  • Love 7

I'm all for a great gospel song, but I'm not feeling this Beyonce number.  I'm not feeling the true emotion that makes gospel so great. It just seems like a stunt.  

Isn't that true for everything with her?

• Love 10

I'm not feeling the true emotion that makes gospel so great. It just seems like a stunt.

I am unfamiliar with the song and just went to iTunes and listened to Mahalia Jackson sing it. She gave me chills.  I guess it's hard to instill heart and soul into a song when you're a soulless fembot like Beyonce.

ETA:

It was a stunt and she stole the performance from Ledisi, who sang it in Selma as Mahalia Jackson.

I guess I was posting just when this post came up.  Argh?! Just have Ledisi sing it, producers!

This reminds me of the Oscars a few years ago when Beyonce sang all five nominated Best Songs. It's as if the corporate powers that be don't know that there are other singers out there.

Edited by Mumbles
  • Love 3
I dozed off. Has Toto won anything yet?

No, but I think Christopher Cross is probably going to pick up one more Grammy.

I get why people hate Gwyneth, but for me she is the damn highlight of the show. Love that woman. 

• Love 2

I don't want to derail what has, for the most part, been a hilarious thread here. That said, some of the posts discussing women and abuse, be it singing about cutting or whatnot or mocking the general topic is not cool.

So let's stick to the fun here. Thank you.

• Love 2

There were some catchy songs last year- couldn't someone have sang one? Bailando, Fireball, Bang Bang.... I know Uptown Funk is probably considered a 2015 song so hopefully Bruno Mars can bring the house down next year.

Ed Sheeran's songs all sound the same, and Chandelier makes my ears bleed. I will gladly take Sam Smith (though mostly because I love Latch).

• Love 1

Wow... so Kanye may have thought better of pulling a "Taylor, I'mma let you finish...", but it wasn't all a joke.   What a self-important, pretentious ass.  I get that you love  Bey and feel your opinion is the only one that matters, but how 'bout YOU respect other people's art as well.  Did you watch that Beyonce performance, Kanye?  Emotionless, mugging for the camera?  Ok... I guess I do get why YOU would consider that "art".  I mean, I don't necessarily like Beck, and wouldn't have been upset HAD Beyonce won, but seriously, what a tool. 

• Love 14

It was a stunt and she stole the performance from Ledisi, who sang it in Selma as Mahalia Jackson.

Beyoncé couldn't touch Mahalia Jackson on the best day of her life.  No ma'am.  The woman could send chills down my spine, just her, singing her heart out.

Best dressed anyone?  Mine were Jennifer Hudson,Miranda Lambert, and Gwen Stefani.

Madonna just stop it.  You're a legendary star,(in spite of a weak singing voice), quit embarrassing yourself!  Grills, showing your ass on the red carpet, what's left?  This stunt-queen BS is exactly why I don't watch the show any more, it's all about the performance instead of the music.  Trying to shock the audience.

Very few real musicians in this crowd, IMO.

Edited by blubld43
  • Love 5

Wow... so Kanye may have thought better of pulling a "Taylor, I'mma let you finish...", but it wasn't all a joke.   What a self-important, pretentious ass.  I get that you love  Bey and feel your opinion is the only one that matters, but how 'bout YOU respect other people's art as well.  Did you watch that Beyonce performance, Kanye?  Emotionless, mugging for the camera?  Ok... I guess I do get why YOU would consider that "art".  I mean, I don't necessarily like Beck, and wouldn't have been upset HAD Beyonce won, but seriously, what a tool. 

Ughh, I'm a fan of Beyonce and I think Kanye causes more problems than he's worth.  If I were Beyonce and Jay-z I would have given him a very loud and colorful talking to and maybe locked him in a room with Julius for a bit.  Beyonce's place in music history is pretty solidified, whether you like her or not, she doesn't need Kanye's crazy ass caping for her.

Edited by funkopop
  • Love 2

Finally tracked down a photo of Madonna this morning (I stopped watching the Grammys eons ago).  If she was going for geriatric toreador dominatrix, then she really hit the mark with this.   Does she really think anyone finds this sexy?

Sam Smith's big hit is boring, but Grammy often goes for that, e.g., Olivia Newton-John's 1975 win for the equally boring I Honestly Love You.

I think it's because CBS doesn't want any "scandal" or controversy.  At this point, I'd rather have Miley Cyrus or Taylor, at least they wouldn't be singing ballads .  Actually, I'd love to have Queen and Adam Lambert - it would be upbeat and fun to watch, and then the water cooler conversation could be all about whether or not having Adam sing Freddie is sacrilege.

Queen with Adam would have blown up this sad sack of balls show, Lambert can definitely take it to church 

• Love 7
The wine also can't explain Gwyneth. What?

I think she gained a bit of weight (which is good).  She looked different, not in a surgery way though.

MAHARINCESS--AWESOME NAME THERE.  I am old enough to get it.  Get Well Soon.

Nicole Kidman is shocking.  She is an Oscar winnig actress, an international beauty and not all that old (Early 40s!)  She is veering into Kenny Rogers territory.  Damn shame.

SIa's voice is great but that performance art shit gets old.  Leave it behind once you leave art school.

All of Sam Smith's comments were cool, esp. the one thanking his lover who left him. (snaps in a Z formation)

After I saw she was nominated twice, I looked up Megan Trainor's video because that clip they showed made my curious.  GHASTLY SONG AND VIDEO. It has about 4 lines and what is it with that baby voice?  All I could think was "AIDY BRYANT did you better."

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 3

I missed the beginning but from what I saw it was definitely a weird show. It seemed like they decided they didn't have enough time for all these people to preform so lets just have random singers preform together. Though I did enjoy most of them. And I really didn't get that chandler thing. My boyfriend and I were laughing about how weird it was and I think it's suppose to be serious but I couldn't keep a straight face.

Also I wonder why Pherell would redue his "song" happy that for some reason people like (I seriously hate it, to the point where I muted his whole performance).

I feel like Take Me to Church should have won best new song.

Edited by blueray

I fucking hate Kanye West.  Artistically, he's not my cup of tea, but I can respect that others think he's a genius.  But as a human being, he's a phenomenal douchebag.  He performs twice yesterday, badly, and with autotune and then calls out Beck, who plays 14 instruments and has been in the business since the early 90's, and says he's not an artist?  WTF?  And he's making me hate Beyonce.  I hated her response when asked about the Taylor Swift thing years ago, she should have flat out said he shouldn't have done it.  

What pisses me off the most is that people are talking about this today instead of the awesome performance by Hozier and legendary Annie Lennox.  Then again, she's probably not an artist either.

Yup, he & Kardashian are a perfect match - entitled attention whores with absolutely no substance 

• Love 16

So many slow tempo, ballady songs.  Snooze.

Why does Kanye think HE gets to define artistry for the world?  They should stop inviting his arrogant ass.  

I made yesterday an Airplane Mode Sunday, but there was so much to snark upon I had to go back and read this entire thread...nodding my head all along the way.

Props to the Grammy's and artists for being more vocal about social issues--and specifically racial equity this year--than just about any other awards show. From the multiple hands up moments to Prince to the closing act, they made the Oscars look even more stuck in 1953. Other, more random, thoughts:

• Annie Lennox, NEVER CHANGE. Everyone else, but especially Madonna? CHANGE.
  • Katy Perry stole Solange's wedding outfit. Solange did it better.
  • Chris Martin appears to be getting hotter, and I think I would like him as my pool boy.
  • Kristen Wiig really needs to go away for a while. It's just all too much.
  • John Legend and Common were fantastic, and a really good way to shut 'er down. On to the Oscars.
  • Love 2

Annie Lennox, "Would I lie to you".....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhpu2N4rQZM

I want to see music get back to real talent.  Not saying none of the new artists are talented, but auto-tune, backing tracks, lip synch, real musicians don't need that shit.

I don't even HAVE to click the link bc I know this video start to finish. LOVE that woman. Speaking of Queen, in the FM tribute concert, have you seen her duet with the God, David Bowie on "Under Pressure"? THAT'S music. THAT'S R&R. THAT'S talent. <rant over>

ETA link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCP2-Bfhy04

Edited by DrSparkles
  • Love 4

SIa's voice is great but that performance art shit gets old.  Leave it behind once you leave art school.

Especially since it seems you can slot in any idiot, in this case Kristin Wiig, to perform the dance routine. It really puts the lie to all of modern dance, does it not? Unless that is Sia's point. But I seriously doubt it.

Edited by reggiejax
  • Love 11

Chris Martin has been slowly getting hotter and hotter, he's buff now and you can't forget about those gorgeous blue eyes.

He looks 100% better without that moronic wife, too.  

I usually can't bear to watch Chris Martin perform, with all his weird affectations, but I actually thought he seemed sweet this time.  The way he was watching Beck closely, it was very supportive and unassuming.  

Pretty much the opposite of Kanye.  

LOL @ finding a better plastic surgeon for his mother.

WTH did he mean in the linked interview about he decided against ruining Beck's acceptance speech because now he has a wife and child to protect?  Like Kim's not also making an ass of herself daily?  In her case, literally making an ass of herself.   

As for Kanye, I guess it was too much to hope that he had developed a sense of humor about himself. Would that he had put as much effort into finding a decent plastic surgeon for his mother as he does for making an ass of himself.

Kanye didn't know his mother was getting the plastic surgery, which every ethical surgeon turned her down for, due to pre-existing conditions.  I get not liking him, but I don't know what his dead mother has to do with any of this.

• Love 2

Welp, at least Arianna was wearing a dress long enough to cover the lady bits. That's a switch. She normally doesn't wear pants. To me, typical lyrics sound like: "I need your loaf." That is all.

I usually can't bear to watch Chris Martin perform, with all his weird affectations, but I actually thought he seemed sweet this time.  The way he was watching Beck closely, it was very supportive and unassuming.

And stepping back as soon as the song was done, so the applause was all for Beck! I mean...I was fanning myself. Eat your heart out, Gwyneth.

have you seen her duet with the God, David Bowie on "Under Pressure"? THAT'S music. THAT'S R&R. THAT'S talent. <rant over>

Dr Sparkles, excellent to see others feel as I do about music!   Fake "musicians" are one of my big pet peeves, and I include any number of people at the Grammys last night in that category.  Including Madonna-I grit my teeth every time I hear someone refer to her as a "rock star"!  No, she certainly is not.

Tom Jones sounded great to me. I'm not that  old.

I heard Sir Tom perform for Queen Elizabeth II's jubilee a couple of years ago, and I was blown away by how good his voice still is.  Again I was always more into rock music, but the man is the real deal.

Edited by blubld43
  • Love 1

If Kanye had an issue with the Grammy voters not voting for his friend, it was not appropriate to try to embarrass Beck. All the guy did was dare to release an album during the same eligibility period as Beyonce.

• Love 10

Great, dancing thugs in hoodies.  WTF?

I think you need to rethink that comment.

I will never forgive Usher for unleashing Bieber onto the world.

I thought that sin should be attributed to Ellen.

Whatever happened to Sanjaya? 

He's a bartender.  Seriously.

Ok Eric Church.  Enough with the sunglasses inside at night.  Doesn't make you look cool. It makes you look pretentious. 

He used to wear them because when he worked dive bars and small clubs his contact lenses used to dry out, now it's his thang.