Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Grammy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Sam Smith's big hit is boring, but Grammy often goes for that, e.g., Olivia Newton-John's 1975 win for the equally boring I Honestly Love You.

(Takes off weave, throws it to the floor)….okay, these comments make me want to windmill fight you Inquisitionist; NOBODY disses Olivia Newton-John!

Would that he had put as much effort into finding a decent plastic surgeon for his mother as he does for making an ass of himself.

Reggiejax, will you have sex with me?  That comment was so offensive it turned me on!

• Love 7

I fucking hate Kanye West.  Artistically, he's not my cup of tea, but I can respect that others think he's a genius.  But as a human being, he's a phenomenal douchebag.  He performs twice yesterday, badly, and with autotune and then calls out Beck, who plays 14 instruments and has been in the business since the early 90's, and says he's not an artist?  WTF?  And he's making me hate Beyonce.  I hated her response when asked about the Taylor Swift thing years ago, she should have flat out said he shouldn't have done it.  

What pisses me off the most is that people are talking about this today instead of the awesome performance by Hozier and legendary Annie Lennox.  Then again, she's probably not an artist either.

Well freaking said.  You wanna talk artistry Kanye?  You married Kim Kardashian.  How's that for credibility in talking about artistry.  Why don't you rap some more about impregnating someone's mouth. (Seriously, look that up.)

I am a huge Beyonce fan and I'm more into R&B/top 40 but I've known of Beck since the mid 90's. He's not my type of music but he is a phenomenal talent. She lost to Beck for Christ sake, not Katy Perry (no offense to Katy fans).  If Beyonce is as smart as I think she is she should probably just tell Kanye once and for all keep my name out of your stinking mouth. And while you're at it, your wife too.

• Love 11

Didn't they both sleep with Taylor Swift?  Not that that's an exclusive category.  It's my understanding that Ed's "Don't" is about her.

No to Ed, he's her best guy friend. But yes to John; they were together for awhile.

"Don't" is actually about Ellie Goulding, who he was with briefly until she apparently slept with Niall Horan from One Direction.

But there IS an interesting six degrees of separation story here, in addition to the above:

John appears to be back together with Katy Perry, who is, if the rumors are to be believed, Taylor's rival (and the subject of her song "Bad Blood"). I wonder if Taylor took a bathroom break during Katy's performance :P .

Speaking of which, I liked Katy and LOVE "By the Grace of God", but she stole that dress from Princess Leia. Just saying.

I couldn't find this thread last night, so I live blogged on Facebook and Twitter. I'll share more of my thoughts soon. 

• Love 1

Reggiejax, will you have sex with me?  That comment was so offensive it turned me on!

Well that is just the sweetest offer I've gotten all day. But alas, I am saving myself for Taylor Swift, She just has to sow her oats first. ;)

Edited by reggiejax
  • Love 4

(Takes off weave, throws it to the floor)….okay, these comments make me want to windmill fight you Inquisitionist; NOBODY disses Olivia Newton-John!

So you want to GET PHYSICAL, do you?  ;-)  Sorry, that song was a nice enough piece of fluff, but not Record of the Year material, IMO.

• Love 5

I think it's funny that people still find the Grammys to be legitimate. It's a joke and it's pretty much a night where the everyone in the industry kisses each others asses. I mean Milli Vanilli won a freaking award for crying out loud. Also if you ever read the list of people who had never won a Grammy you would understand how much of a joke this shit is(Journey to name one). With that being said I had to laugh at the whole Grammys talks seriously about domestic abuse bit. When you allow Chris Brown to be part of the ceremonies then you null and void any good thing you may try to do when talking about domestic abuse. Annie Lennox and Mary J Blige were the highlights of the show. I'm not going to even bother with Kanye because we all know what an egotistical douche he is. I ended up spending the however many hours the show was watching old grammy clips on youtube.

Edited by Dancingjaneway
I mean Milli Vanilli won a freaking award for crying out loud.

Without question, the Grammys have made some questionable choices throughout the years but so have other award shows. That's the thing about awards, it's really all subjective. That said, I have never understood the Milli Vanilli example to prove how bad the Grammys are.

The controversy with Milli Vanilli wasn't that the music was awful and they didn't deserve to win, but that the guys didn't actually do the vocals on the album. But Milli Vanilli's album was well received, it sold a lot, they had like five Top 10 hits from the same album.

In my opinion, the win was deserved but to the people who actually did the singing. I can't judge the voters for not knowing the guys didn't sing the songs when no one knew. Honestly, this would be like if it comes out that Sam Smith didn't sing any of his songs. I wouldn't judge the voters for voting for him if they were unaware he didn't actually sing the songs.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 6

I liked Milli Vanilli.  There, I said it! : )  Even though it wasn't their voices on the songs, I think a large part of their appeal was their looks and their dancing, so I thought they sold the songs with their performances.   I was sorry that the one guy committed suicide years later.

• Love 7

We will all have an opinion on Kanye-Gate. With that said, calling posters names is NOT acceptable. This isn't a kindergarten classroom. I assume we are all adults here. So let's act like it.

If you disagree with a poster, scroll or use the ignore feature that is provided by the board. Or discuss. Like civilized people. Barring all of that, report if none of these options seem to solve the issue.

Thank you.

• Love 2

I liked Milli Vanilli.  There, I said it! : )  Even though it wasn't their voices on the songs, I think a large part of their appeal was their looks and their dancing, so I thought they sold the songs with their performances.   I was sorry that the one guy committed suicide years later.

Me too! I had the CD & believe it or not, some trifling fool STOLE it from me!! Girl you know it's true.

• Love 4

Ok, I'll admit this. Madonna, imo, looked cute and attractive (if over the top but that is expected) on the red carpet aside from the booty flash which I could have lived forever and ever without. But the Roman armor corset dress thingy, red carpet ensemble looked flattering and cute on her figure which is pretty awesome. However, in contrast - that horror she wore during the performance was just so many kinds of wrong. I don't know anyone who looks good in those... what are they? boycut legs that cut right straight across the thigh? and it was all bunchy and pouchy and she could have looked so much better. ALso, I didnt' get all the horny dancers or was that the whole pun? I don't know anymore.

• Love 1

Okay Kanye is a colossal ass! Personally I do not listen to Beyonce, but I do think she is talented. That being said just because she did not win and Kanye believes she should have then he has to be a douche! Oh wait he is an ass all the time so he is just being himself!

• Love 2

I have two questions:

1. Can this become the annual thread for the Grammy Awards?

2. Does anyone know why they're showing on a Monday this year instead of a Sunday?  It's not like it would've conflicted with football or anything.

I have two questions:

1. Can this become the annual thread for the Grammy Awards?

2. Does anyone know why they're showing on a Monday this year instead of a Sunday? It's not like it would've conflicted with football or anything.

According to this, http://deadline.com/2015/05/the-grammy-awards-monday-2016-1201424370/

which was posted online last May, this will probably be a temporary thing. This year the Grammys falls during a (sort of long) holiday weekend which includes President's Day & Valentine's Day. It was thought that having the Grammys closer to the end of that weekend would result in a larger audience.

• Love 2

2. Does anyone know why they're showing on a Monday this year instead of a Sunday? It's not like it would've conflicted with football or anything.

Interestingly, the Grammys used to be during the week at one point. I think it was Wednesday it aired on for years. I remember being really young and only being allowed to watch one hour because I had school the next day. I can't even remember when it switched to Sundays.

• Love 1

I heard a commercial for this year's Grammys last night (Friday) on CBS. The announcer on the commercial mentioned that there will be tributes to David Bowie by Lady Gaga, Glenn Frey by the Eagles, & Maurice White by Earth, Wind & Fire (I've also read EW&F's presenting the Grammy for Record of the Year this year).

• Love 1

I will admit that a big reason why I am tuning in is for the Hamilton performance. I have seen the musical three times, but I could watch it every day if I could. 

Taylor Swift is assaulting my ears. Ouch!

Edited by Misslindsey
  • Love 3

I will admit that a big reason why I am tuning in is for the Hamilton performance. I have seen the musical three times, but I could watch it every day if I could. 

Taylor Swift is assaulting my ears. Ouch!

I do watch every year, but Hamilton is what I'm most looking forward to!!

• Love 3

Ah, this may be a big mistake. So I'm getting married tomorrow afternoon. And rather than running around and worrying about last minute details, I've ordered a pizza, I've cracked open a bottle of red wine, and I'm sitting here ready to snark on the Grammys. 

But that's not important. What's important is that we're all here to celebrate the 25th anniversary of "Uptown Funk", which seems to have been out for just as long as "Happy" last year (165 years strong!). 

• Love 21

Ah, this may be a big mistake. So I'm getting married tomorrow afternoon. And rather than running around and worrying about last minute details, I've ordered a pizza, I've cracked open a bottle of red wine, and I'm sitting here ready to snark on the Grammys.

Congrats! I have to admit that I am loving your pre-wedding day Grammy snark plans.

• Love 5

But that's not important. What's important is that we're all here to celebrate the 25th anniversary of "Uptown Funk", which seems to have been out for just as long as "Happy" last year (165 years strong!). 

Mazel tov!  This is a fabulous way to spend your last night as a single person!! 

If they keep introducing people to come out and introduce people, this will be a long evening.  Possibly running into Callaphera's wedding...

Edited by ebk57
  • Love 3

Congratulations!

No kidding, I've always said that if I ever remarried, it would be on a Tuesday.  I don't know why I picked that day, I just did.  

I have never like Carrie Underwood's voice.

Edited by Ohwell

Who did Carrie Underwood piss off to be paired with "Speak" Hunt? She's a star, he's a joke.

Wish I knew what time Chris Stapleton will be on. He's the only reason I'm not watching Westminster (where the hounds are more in tune than Taylor.

• Love 3

Congratulations!

No kidding, I've always said that if I ever remarried, it would be on a Tuesday.  I don't know why I picked that day, I just did.  

I have never like Carrie Underwood's voice.

We chose the 16th on purpose because flowers would have been cheaper (and will be for anniversaries!) and it'll be easier to get a table at a restaurant, since it's two days after Valentine's. Plus he can buy me cheesy heart shaped stuff for 50% off. Budgeting for the future!

• Love 15

We chose the 16th on purpose because flowers would have been cheaper (and will be for anniversaries!) and it'll be easier to get a table at a restaurant, since it's two days after Valentine's. Plus he can buy me cheesy heart shaped stuff for 50% off. Budgeting for the future!

I like how you think! Congrats!

• Love 2

The guy's hair bouncing in the front is more exciting than this song. 

ETA: the singer guy, not some rando in the crowd. It's making me so zzzz that I forgot to specify.

The only good thing about Ariana being over so fast on stage is that we won't get our reaction shot of Frankie Grande in the audience, still holding onto his little sister's coattails.

Edited by Callaphera
  • Love 4

Not only was the Carrie Underwood/Sam Hunt duet boring, it went on for about five years. 

I am mostly here for Hamilton.

I have seen the musical three times, but I could watch it every day if I could.

I want to cry! We've tried to get Hamilton tickets to no avail. Well, we could get them if we took out a second mortgage on our house, but silly us we're not willing to do that.

Edited by Minneapple
  • Love 3