Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 02/09/15

Athena
  • Start Topic

As far as a "new crew" is concerned, I'm still flogging Bonnie Hunt & that black comedian Nicole something (sorry, I'm drawing a blank).

Yvette Nicole Brown?   She's pretty good.  I've watched her on The Talking Dead (what? don't judge, I have a 16 year old nephew and we have to have something to talk about) and she's really good.  I think this show is circling the drain though, I'm not sure anyone like that would want to join this sinking ship.   

Tunia, they actually did have Stephen King on the show the first or second week.  They even had a bookshelf on the new set and made it sound like his book would be the first of many books there.  Ha!  So much for that.   

• Love 6

Cousin Amy

I wonder why Rosie felt she had to "keep up appearances" by pretending she was with Michelle if they had been separated for a few months, and why it came out at the same time as her other bombshell. Taken together, it seemed that she was suffering some huge, sudden seismic shift, when really the two events were separate. (She continued to work without any complaints even after her home situation blew up.)

Wow -  Our perspectives could not be more different.  Couples break up, often not in one day, but in a series of incidents over time.  Most couples go through a period where they are trying to work things out, and don't feel the need to "announce"  that they are separated until a final decision is made.    And even then,  tell close friends and family first, and give them time to adjust.  I think it's grossly unfair to say her home situation "blew up"  when what happened was a quiet dissolution of a marriage.  

• Love 18

Just read the radaronline article.  Wow.   

I wonder - Maybe Rosie found out they were going to let Whoopi go, and Rosie quit instead, knowing that if Whoopi got fired, a lot of people would blame Rosie.  Every article up until very recently  that mentioned their conflict portrayed Rosie as the one at fault.   

So maybe Rosie decided it wasn't worth it, and quit, knowing that that would mean they'd keep whoopi, at least for now. 

• Love 7

Someone mentioned elsewhere that they should try and get Soladad O'Brien and I thought it was an interesting idea too. She couldn't be a moderator this season obviously but if they decided to continue with the show she'd be a hell of a lot better at the job then Whoopi.

• Love 6

Yvette Nicole Brown?   She's pretty good.  I've watched her on The Talking Dead (what? don't judge, I have a 16 year old nephew and we have to have something to talk about) and she's really good.  I think this show is circling the drain though, I'm not sure anyone like that would want to join this sinking ship.   

Tunia, they actually did have Stephen King on the show the first or second week.  They even had a bookshelf on the new set and made it sound like his book would be the first of many books there.  Ha!  So much for that.   

Exactly (& thanks) Cosmo!  I remembered her name as soon as I hit "reply".  I really like her, particularly after watching her on the now defunct Jeff Probst Show, on which she was a very entertaining regular.

• Love 2

Riding the idle speculation here for a minute: what if the powers that be wanted Whoopi to try and gone RO into arguments in hopes of boosting the ratings? Didn't they encourage the drama between Elizabeth and Rosie? But when post heart attack Rosie didn't engage, everything went south quickly.

Personally, I hope she figures out abother vehicle so I can get my Rosie fix. I'm all for the return of the radio show-subscribed to xm just so I could listen. It was a great mixture of information, serious discussion and fun.

Edited by salvame
  • Love 2

Again  negative sniping to the Daily News about Rosie.  This one seems to be the opposite of the Radaronline article.  This cast/crew has a cancer embedded in this crapfest and I am glad that Rosie is leaving on her terms.  I wonder how they sold her on rejoining in the first place, unless it was her agents who were looking for her paycheck again. 

I don't know where the truth is in this fiasco, but Rosie had a top flight show for several years which the media and her haters seem to forget.  She might just know something about running a winning show. 

• Love 8

Wow, if true, now I feel doubly depressed about her leaving. Too bad she couldn't have at least stayed long enough to rid us of Whoopi Goldberg once and for all. I bet even Whoopi is regretting driving her off so fast now, seeing as she hates being there. I guess karma is the biggest bitch of them all. LOL

Returning to this thought, while I, the viewer, would only tune in for the rest of the season if they put Joy in Rosie O's spot, the mean-spirited part of me that can't stand Whoopi anymore hopes they bring back Barbara Walters to make the rest of the season a living nightmare for Whoopi. That would make me smile.

• Love 10

I can see bringing Barbara back but I gather she was getting tired of the daily grind. Maybe a few times a week.

I didn't mean to suggest that Rosie tell the audience exactly when her marriage ended, just that it seemed shocking when the two pieces of information came out.

I'm not so much invested in the continuation of this show, I know if it becomes unwatchable I'll just stop watching. Especially if the new co-host is someone like Naya Rivera, who may be ready for prime-time but not so much for a daytime talk show.

I never liked Rosie's old show - I hated the way she gushed over her guests and her pretend crushes on Tom Cruise and other stars. I admire her politics but I have no desire to watch her on another show.

That's just me, I guess. Differing mileage, you could say.

• Love 2

According to a story in the Daily News, she didn't tape Friday's show today (Tuesday afternoon) and will say her goodbyes on Thursday.

Why should Ro tape a boring Friday show when her last day is Thurs?

I bet she says a quick goodbye on Thurs and not much else.

• Love 3

Whoopi:  "Do you know what I don't care about but we still have to talk about it?"

(Her opening for the egg discussion)

Rosie shrugs and says "That could be just about anything."

Hee!

Edited by Cementhead
  • Love 21

Was it just me, or did Whoopi seem to bait RosieO with the "suggestion" that Jon Stewart take over for Brian Williams & vice versa.  When RO responded, Whoopi said "I was just kidding", leaving RO with her teeth hanging out.  YMMV.

Nope.  Not just you. 

• Love 8

Tunia, they actually did have Stephen King on the show the first or second week.  They even had a bookshelf on the new set and made it sound like his book would be the first of many books there.  Ha!  So much for that.

I remember his visit, Cosmocrush, and enjoyed it at the time.  He's really just an example of people I'd like to see - people with something interesting to say, rather than people with just something to sell/shill. (Yes, I do realize he has books to sell, but there's much more that's interesting about him.  My son went to college in Bangor, ME, where King lives and had some great stories about Halloween and other events that King engineered.)  Obviously, you'd have to give a moment to their pet project of the moment, but don't have that be the focus. 

Let the guests talk (and make sure you're bringing on guests that have that ability).  Get some quality on the guest seat, not just whoever happens to be in town.

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 5

Was it just me, or did Whoopi seem to bait RosieO with the "suggestion" that Jon Stewart take over for Brian Williams & vice versa.  When RO responded, Whoopi said "I was just kidding", leaving RO with her teeth hanging out.  YMMV

No, it wasn't just you.  When Rosie good naturedly began to say something about it, Whoopi pulled a classic Whoopi.  She did the mean chuckle under her breath and said in a very insulting way "It.was.a.joke".  Rosie took it well but didn't really say much, if anything, during the topics after that.  I wouldn't.  Why risk being put down and humiliated yet again on live national television?  Yep, the hits just keep on comin'.

Rosie asked the charming young actor from blackish what he'd like to do in the future and he said he'd like to go to Stanford for journalism, and Rosie said "well, I know of a spot open at NBC".  Whoopi then began to argue that he works at ABC so he probably cannot work at NBC at the same time or something (I swear the woman just can't stand not hearing her own voice).  I know it's small of me, and I'm glad Rosie didn't stoop to her level, but a part of me wished Rosie had chuckled meanly and said "It.was.a.joke".   

• Love 22

I love Bonnie Hunt and think she'd probably be able to handle Whoopie. Don't know why just think she could. Mario is showing up pretty regularly, if he wants a spot and doesn't get it, that will be a kick in the head. Rosie P seems to be trying pretty hard to be relevant. She just isn't.

• Love 1

I think Rosie Perez is over prepared.  Nicolle and Rosie O I think have a natural interest in the news and can recall past events or know things about the hot topic so they can talk about a lot of subjects.  Everything Rosie Perez says sounds like she just read it on Wikipedia ten minutes ago.

And Brian Williams wasn't sharing opinions at all, unless it was in his opinion his helicopter was shot down.  He is so annoying on late night talk shows because he won't offer an opinion on a subject when one side is clearly lying.  The entire panel was off base on wanting a returns to the days where an anchor just reported "the facts" because as we all know "the facts" can be subjective and fiction now anyways.  It's better to have someone like, Jon Stewart!, who can cut through the bullshit and back it up with taped footage and old quotes.

Edited by Morbs
  • Love 8

While Rosie P. probably has a lot of interesting and intelligent things to say; she just isn't the least bit articulate.   Which is kind of a requirement for this type of job.  She also seems to be generally nervous in this setting and that might be related to her not feeling particularly effective in her words.  I kinda feel for her because I can relate to this myself.  In that I am a nervous person in public settings and usually end up having to stumble & stutter my way through conversations with people.  But then I am not getting paid to talk. 

Edited by Cementhead
  • Love 10

I think Rosie Perez is over prepared.  Nicolle and Rosie O I think have a natural interest in the news and can recall past events or know things about the hot topic so they can talk about a lot of subjects.  Everything Rosie Perez says sounds like she just read it on Wikipedia ten minutes ago.

You're totally right! That's exactly how she comes across. And then Whoopi comes across as though she literally got out of a bed backstage and stumbled on set - no clue of what's to come or what's going on. She make the most awkward transitions between topics.

• Love 11

No, it wasn't just you.  When Rosie good naturedly began to say something about it, Whoopi pulled a classic Whoopi.  She did the mean chuckle under her breath and said in a very insulting way "It.was.a.joke".  Rosie took it well but didn't really say much, if anything, during the topics after that.  I wouldn't.  Why risk being put down and humiliated yet again on live national television?  Yep, the hits just keep on comin'.

I thought Rosie swung right back at Whoopi during the inane egg conversation where when Whoopi started her "don't tweet or text me b/c I. Don't. Care." Rosie jumped in and did it first.  That was such a burn from Rosie, but of course Whoopi doesn't give a damn at this point...or ever.  I really wish Rosie would tell her off tomorrow but I know it's just a wish and nothing more.

How unprofessional of Whoopi to come back from commercial break on sucking/eating something during the Jeb Bush/intern topic.  This is Whoopi though...

I'm sure Mario gets paid and all for these stupid doorbell segments, but I can't imagine enjoying coming in for that.  I'm guessing he will be Rosie's somewhat permanent replacement until they get who they really want.

How awesome was that interview w/Lucy Liu when Rosie O took it over and basically shut out the other co-hosts.  That was awesome.  This is why I love Rosie interviewing guests b/c she knows so many facets of their entire life and actually shows an interest in them instead of just reading off a blue card.

Kudos on the last possible Crafty U Rosie O.  I love her interactions w/guests...can't say that enough.

Thank you once again Nicole Wallace for interrupting a guest who was in the midst of talking about his mentor on the show.  I hate your interviewing skills.

That was petty of Whoopi to make sure we know that if somebody is a star on one network they can't work on another...uh no that's not right you damn bitch.  I know she just said that to hit back at Rosie O .  I get the impression that Whoopi thinks that only she should be able to interview black actors/actresses.  How gracious was Rosie though to try and plug Whoopi's appearance on the show "blackish."  I wonder if Whoopi was bumped due to her "back" injury.

Edited by CMH1981
  • Love 10

Was it the Jon Stewart should take over for Brian Williams "discussion" that prompted Rosie to do the time out sign?  Or was it something else?

It wasn't a time out sign.  I thought it was at first but then saw her thumb curled up so it did look like a J and she said to Whoopi then "use the joke sign next time because it is hard to tell." 

At least that is what I heard.  Whoopi is an ass and I hope Rosie O can continue her class act for the week.  

• Love 10

Damn, Whoopi was at her worst today, and that's saying a lot. I noticed early in the show she made a point of saying they respect the audience. Not too much later, after a commercial break where I'm assuming she had a puff, she was back to the don't tweet me cause...all together now...I DON'T CARE! Snaggletoothed bitch.

While watching I can't help but imagine the Disney execs, who are also watching and squirming off their massage tables, wondering how this all happened. They should have listened to us.

• Love 7

I'm greatly saddened that Rosie O won't have a platform - she was great on the Craft segment and in interviewing Lucy Liu.  Whoopi is a "piece of work".  What in the world does she think she is doing?  Maybe Rosie O could take over for Jon Stewart.  I know that isn't a possibility and probably wouldn't work, but I am losing two favorites in a short amount of time.  I might need some therapy to help me recover!!

• Love 11

I was really sorry to miss the Lucy Liu segment, particularly because RO apparently decided to do the bulk of the interview - she really does interesting interviews and the others are in a range of bad to absolutely abysmal.

I saw Lucy being interviewed on the CBS morning show and it was really interesting. All of the hosts are excellent interviewers and skilled at letting the guest talk as well as reining in a rambling guest. Of course Lucy Liu is a very interesting actor and knows how to answer good questions in an interesting way.

I'm off to find The View interview so I can compare the two shows.

• Love 4

And while Whoopi might have been kidding about Jon taking over NBC Nightly News, there is a ton of online chatter that Jon Stewart will move on to a more serious news show, so it's not like Rosie was completely off base.

• Love 4

And while Whoopi might have been kidding about Jon taking over NBC Nightly News, there is a ton of online chatter that Jon Stewart will move on to a more serious news show, so it's not like Rosie was completely off base.

Interesting.  Al Franken made the switch to "serious" after his comedy career.  So I guess it is possible.

• Love 1

Last October, NBC "aggressively" courted Jon Stewart to host Meet The Press.  He can really hold his own in a serious forum--I've seen clips of him eviscerating Bill O'Reilly on BO's own show.  I thought Meet The Press would be a great gig for him but I didn't want him to leave TDS.  Now I'm all excited about the possibility that he'll step up to a position where he can shake some politicians around by their scruffs.

Oops, I went off on a tangent about Jon Stewart and forgot The View.  I have today taped, but I don't really want to watch Whoopi acting snotty to RO, plus it drives me crazy when they come back from a break and she's still snacking.

(How did this happen?  I never wanted to dislike Whoopi Goldberg.)

Edited by candall
  • Love 11

So today Whoopi lambasted us all because apparently we're all out to get Bruce Jenner.  I don't recall her exact wording, but we are supposedly wanting to believe he is to blame for the accident he was involved in.*  She is accusing the public of the very thing she is guilty of, except that it's the reverse with her.  She never knows more about anything than we do, yet she is always eager to defend, excuse and exonerate her rich and famous pals, and the rich and famous in general, for infractions ranging from minor to monumental.  Doesn't even matter what they're accused of, what they did, or how bad it was.  How does this make her any different than what she's ripping into the public over? 

You'd have to be a class A narcissist to 1.  Not even see yourself for doing the same thing you're lashing out at others for, and 2.  Not even consider that others can see right through what you're doing here. 

*  I've seen a few boards on this and reactions appear to be mixed, so she's wrong to generalize about what the nobodies think.  Also, how can she even claim to know what the public thinks about anything?  We know she doesn't care what y'all think.  Right?

• Love 13
Doesn't even matter what they're accused of, what they did, or how bad it was.  How does this make her any different than what she's ripping into the public over?

because Whoopi, and only Whoopi, gets to declare who is being a BONEHEAD.  

• Love 5

She is a know-it-all. 

I am really looking forward to not seeing her after this week.......I don't care for any of the hosts left now and certainly not guest hosts to boot .

NW  and RP are afraid of WG. It took Walters to  babysit WG.

It was RO that challenged her. 

BTW WG - Weiner was never re-elected to Congress - he resigned, just as he did from his run for mayor of NYC. Come on Nicolle - you know this stuff. You know this stuff......

Edited by maggiemae
  • Love 12

I don't see the public's fascination with Bruce Jenner as being as negative as Whoopi does.  He's a tabloid fixture involved in a deadly crash, of course we will talk.  A woman is dead, we (I speak on behalf of the entire "public" like Whoopi does for African Americans regarding all things racist) are asking the same questions regarding the accident as we would anyone.

• Love 9

Everything Rosie Perez says sounds like she just read it on Wikipedia ten minutes ago.P

Perfect description Morbs!  I am totally stealing that line.  

You're totally right! That's exactly how she comes across. And then Whoopi comes across as though she literally got out of a bed backstage and stumbled on set - no clue of what's to come or what's going on. She make the most awkward transitions between topics.

My favorite part today was Whoopi ranting on about famous "comebacks" of Americans after stupid behavior and using Anthony Weiner as an example, lol!  She was going on and on about how the public voted him [back] in office and I loved the look on RO's face.  When RO (and maybe another co-host, I can't remember exactly) pointed out that Weiner in fact LOST the [NYC mayoral primary] election  Whoopi's response was, "Well, people still voted.  And some people voted for him."  Hahahaha.  That's her example of an 'amazing comeback'?   Dumbass.  A stellar example of Whoopi bloativating on a subject without the facts.  The thing is I don't think WG is really a dumbass so why doesn't she try sticking to things she actually does know?  

That was petty of Whoopi to make sure we know that if somebody is a star on one network they can't work on another...uh no that's not right you damn bitch.  I know she just said that to hit back at Rosie O .  I get the impression that Whoopi thinks that only she should be able to interview black actors/actresses.  How gracious was Rosie though to try and plug Whoopi's appearance on the show "blackish."  I wonder if Whoopi was bumped due to her "back" injury.

I get the impression that Whoopi thinks she's the only one that can appear on another TV show period.  She does know Nicolle has a gig on MSNBC, right? Or that  RO has a documentary on HBO?   Neither of which are owned by Disney.  Besides, as was already pointed out - it. was. a. joke.   No one thought RO was suggesting this ninth grader actually take over as a network news anchor except Whoopi who I don't think was even really listening.  

Damn, Whoopi was at her worst today, and that's saying a lot. I noticed early in the show she made a point of saying they respect the audience. Not too much later, after a commercial break where I'm assuming she had a puff, she was back to the don't tweet me cause...all together now...I DON'T CARE! Snaggletoothed bitch.

While watching I can't help but imagine the Disney execs, who are also watching and squirming off their massage tables, wondering how this all happened. They should have listened to us.

I don't think Whoopi ever said she respected the audience, just that she was glad they were there - after all the cheering and applause they did.  

And I'm not sure any Disney/ABC executives are watching this mess on the regular other than the numbers.  I mean, I hope they are but somehow I doubt it.  

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 12

Likey,  over and over kaygeeret.

I'm thinking RO was may have been promised more than she got when she signed up again. And WG didn't like that.

The rest is history......

I really can't believe I thought WG this season would be a good thing after the last season and the firings.

• Love 5

My hopes for this year end today and it is only mid February

-January started out well since Rosie Perez was off for the month. Her voice is so annoying for a talk show!!

-The year got better when Whoppi was out and RO moderating

-The year get even better with rumors of Rosie P. being fired.

-The year got worse with the return of Whoopi and Roise P.

-The beginning of end of the year started last Friday. The year ends to today.

Bye RO!!

• Love 9

Kaygeeret, you stated my assessment of RO perfectly!  Those who call RO difficult and bitchy don't get it.  They are "go along to get along" people and, while that might be a pleasant work ethic it rarely achieves anything substantive.  RO, on the other hand, received an emmy for each year her old show was on the air so the proof is in the pudding.

• Love 5

I'm greatly saddened that Rosie O won't have a platform - she was great on the Craft segment and in interviewing Lucy Liu. Whoopi is a "piece of work". What in the world does she think she is doing? Maybe Rosie O could take over for Jon Stewart. I know that isn't a possibility and probably wouldn't work, but I am losing two favorites in a short amount of time. I might need some therapy to help me recover!!

Me too!

Jon Stewart and Rosie leaving ugh!

I know JS will still be on but still, not happy.

I was sad watching the craft segment. RO is great with young people. I don't think we'll see anything like that on the view again.

I don't plan on watching after RO leaves but I'm curious if WG will go back to sleep after RO is gone?

I always thought WG's aggressive behavior towards RO had to do with feeling she competing with RO for top dog. With RO gone and her job secured will, Whoopi fall asleep again and leave NW and guest co host to talk?

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 5

I always thought WG's aggressive behavior towards RO had to do with feeling she competing with RO for top dog. With RO gone and her job secured will, Whoopi fall asleep again and leave NW and guest co host to talk?

IMO Whoopi only wakes up when she feels threatened.  She needs to be the biggest, loudest, most famous person at the table.  With RO gone she can show up, do nothing and be that.

• Love 11

As we are moments away from closing the book on Rosie O'Donnell and The View....I wanna say I love Rosie.  She is one of my favorite people on the planet.   She is someone who is incredible fragile and damaged while at the same time very brazen and strong.  I think the perspective she brought to her television show and then later to The View is something that will be incredibly difficult to replace.  

However having said that, I don't find it hard to believe at all that it would be incredibly difficult and sometimes frustrating to work with and alongside someone like Rosie.  She has a vision and either wants you on board or out of the way.  I would rather eat my own shoe on a daily basis than work for her, but I do love what the control driven mind creates.  I hope she finds another outlet where she can share her outlook on life with the world.  

• Love 18

I loved the audience shouting ROSIE! ROSIE!

I can't say I won't watch the show anymore. As shitty as it is, I will be rubbernecking now and again to see the train wreck.  One thing I refuse to do is to stop reading this forum.  You all are best thing about this show.  Have been for years.

• Love 22

RO did say maybe.

Well, that was definitely planned when RO says to Kenan that he can take her place.

Then he asks why is she leaving.

She says stress and he says any chance you'll be back after you deal with the stress. She says maybe.

• Love 7