Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 02/09/15

Athena
  • Start Topic

I don't get the reasoning at all.  I think there's a lot more going on.

Do you think it's to protect herself or might it be fear that will descend into finger-pointing shit fest?  I mean, the shitty way the show is being run, the leaky staff and Whoopi's insufferable behavior? 

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 8

I can guarantee that if the show and/or Rosie had talked about her leaving today, her words, her gestures, her body language, her attitude...everything would have been parsed and analyzed and picked apart and the headlines would have been 'Ro did this!' 'Ro did that' 'OMG did you hear what Rosie said?????' It's best to just carry on - everyone knows what happened - try to get through this week's shows as best and as normally as they can, and let Rosie say goodbye on Friday. IMO of course.

• Love 12

I think that could be it, NextIteration, I also think there's a lot of resentment towards Whoopi and other members of the staff, so she can handle being diplomatic on the red carpet and on her blog, but she doesn't want to be phony to their faces on the show.

• Love 8

I understand her reasons, like I said before she doesn't have to mention the dissolution of her marriage at all, that's nobody's business but b/t her and her family, but she needs to say something on the show.  I fear if she doesn't then she can't control who will end up talking about.  My fear is Babs will come on and explain the reasons why, or Whoopi will try and explain why...then again i'm sure Whoopi doesn't give a damn b/c it doesn't affect her at all...but Babs...we all know she still thinks everything revolves around her.  

Edited by CMH1981
  • Love 1

I wonder if it's really true that the target audience is young women - is this a show most young women watch from home or make a special effort to record and play back later? If they are trying to attract young women, who have presumably been living in the real world all their lives, why not change to a mixed panel (not 4 women + Mario) that might have a broader range? Aren't Whoopi, Rosie and Rosie all over 50 (and Nicole? 40 something?) What did they expect when they put together this panel last year? Is Nicole supposed to represent both Republicans and young women? 

The most "fun" guest co-hosts have been the like actress Bella Thorne, who doesn't just represent young women, but is one. There are tons of 20-somethings on their way up who would love the exposure, even if only for short periods of time. 

I have enough stress in my life without watching a show where people are always so stressed! 

On the other hand, my boss just turned in her notice Friday, and let me tell you, I expect my stress level to go way down! (I'm only a volunteer at a preschool but she treats me as if I'm a staff member.)

• Love 5

The most recent post on Rosie's Facebook is a video of her explaining why there was no mention of her leaving on the show today. :

https://www.facebook...DonnellOfficial

I don't get the explanation either.

I understand the heart attack and stress. Why have another kid after a heart attack when you are 50 and not healthy? She says work is too stressful after a heart attack but a 5th kid wouldn't be?

Help me out here.

• Love 3

Whenever anyone had left the show, there really hasn't been much discussion of the leaving at all.  So I didn't expect anything different with Rosie leaving. The View will never have an actual discussion about anyone leaving (it really doesn't have actual discussions at all anymore).

The behind the scenes people at The View seem to be a nasty crowd. So many leaks, many backstabbing and biased leaks, about so many different hosts. A well researched book about the show would be fascinating. One like "The Late Shift" by Bill Carter. Carter thoroughly researched and interviewed the details behind NBC bungling  Carson leaving the tonight show and loosing Letterman. His follow up on the Leno/O'Brien fiasco "The War for Late Night" was also a page turner. 

I hope Carter turns his talents to The View.

• Love 5

Maybe Rosie didn't want the whole week devoted to her leaving? Her not announcing her departure today doesn't affect how I see her as a person. After the "Year of Barbara" I can see why anyone wouldn't want an extended goodbye period....LOL

From the Variety article...

It sounds like the whole environment was a toxic stew, I'm surprised that Woolf is such a mess here, and yes, way too many cooks in the kitchen.

The section of that article you quoted won't show up when I quote you but it was mentioning the part where it was said that Rosie was accusing people of leaking to the press. There has to be at least one person on staff there doing it for all of these articles previous to her leaving to have always been about her and none of the other insane crap that's been going on too.

• Love 9

I don't get the explanation either.

I understand the heart attack and stress. Why have another kid after a heart attack when you are 50 and not healthy? She says work is too stressful after a heart attack but a 5th kid wouldn't be?

Help me out here.

But she didn't say working was too stressful.  She said her work at The View was too stressful.  She said there was a lot of stuff going on there and at home and that she could at least minimize her stress at work (turning it down to zero) by leaving.  The View was, obviously, not a happy or healthy environment for her so she took steps to remedy what was an intolerable situation.  We may never hear the list of complaints and why do we have to?

For me it's enough to know that she found a situation potentially damaging to her health (physically and mentally) and she took action to lessen her stress and give herself the time and energies to deal with issues elsewhere. 

Edited by onthebrink03
  • Love 10

I don't see how we can possibly know what the show executives allowed her, or the others, to say. How can someone know she isn't a standup person with this?

The "Powers" wanted her to address the issue, but she chose not to, by her own admission.  Cementhead has it right - her tweet was a big FU to all her fans that she claims to love.

My View:  Rosie is a control freak.  It's her way or get out, move on, quit.  As much as I dislike Trump, he had it correct when he described RO as a "quitter" the first time she left The View.  She's left at least two colleges, two TV shows, her magazine, and now two marriages.

I used to be a fan, back to the day I first saw her (around 1980) in a little comedy club in Providence, RI - a place so small I sat about 5' from her platform.  I still remember the bit she did about her Irish father trying to deal with the "new fangled" telephone answering system.  You could see she'd someday be a star. She was funny in her early days, but over the years you could see her become more strident and less funny.  Over the years, the more I saw her, the less I liked her.

I wasn't happy when she joined The View the first time, and less so when she did again.  There was no way Rosie would be a panel member without her exerting her force, and become one of a few.  She has to be top dog or she's not happy.  And yes, we have Rosie to blame for the 4-day workweek and crappy pre-filming of the Friday show.

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 3

The working relationship between O’Donnell and Goldberg became even more strained as a result of the show’s morning meetings. “The View” staff typically congregated at 9 a.m. each day to brainstorm for the “Hot Topics” segment. O’Donnell didn’t think this gave them enough time to prepare for an 11 a.m. live show, so the meetings were moved to 8:30 a.m.

But the earlier time meant that Goldberg (who commutes into the city each morning from New Jersey) would sometimes arrive a few minutes late. This irked O’Donnell, who interpreted Goldberg’s occasional tardiness as a sign that she wasn’t committed to the job. The meetings eventually moved back to 9 a.m.

I believe this!  We all know how lazy Whoopi is and rolls in like she just got out of bed.

The View is my soap opera and now it is over.

• Love 13

Rosie can't win in anything she would've done. Someone will always find fault in how she did this or that. She doesn't owe me any explanation and I don't care how she chose to go out. If it's affecting her health and she needs to leave to be with her family, so be it. For me, Whoopi is a huge part of this show's failings and they need to address it. Either rework the whole show over or put it out to pasture.

• Love 18

I don't think it would have been too hard to say "Hey people, I have decided to do my heart tour along with some other endeavors so this will be my last week on The View. Thanks and I wish everyone well." No need for the stress discussion, just an acknowledgment to the people who watch the show. Oh, well. It's only tv and I tend to move on easily. I wish her the best.

• Love 6

What is the white stuff going from her mouth to her ears?

She said she was getting her makeup done, so I thought it was contouring.  This seemed to be before the show, because the outfit they showed was the one she wore on The View today.  I think she looks much better without makeup.

• Love 2

She explained it once in a video. It is special makeup/highlighter for high definition TV cameras. Her makeup person likes to feather and blend it right before the person goes on air. (Sometimes you see celebrities in photos where the highlighting has not been blended well and they seem to have whiter area around their eyes, noses or cheeks)

• Love 1

WG was just who I expected her to be today.....leaving RO alone, not really entering the chat about her documentary or yelling and shaking her finger NO!  even when they were discussing Brian Williams. Or Kanye. Now the media is looking into a 3rd issue of BW's - the Israeli-Hezbolla war and being shot at in addition to being in the shot down Chinook in Iraq and his comments about his experiences during Katrina. Not looking good for him at all. 

• Love 2

...Now the media is looking into a 3rd issue of BW's - the Israeli-Hezbolla war and being shot at in addition to being in the shot down Chinook in Iraq and his comments about his experiences during Katrina. Not looking good for him at all.

For a couple seconds I thought you meant Barbara Walters. Barbara was in the war and shot at! and shot down! What! No! When! I almost googled it when I realized BW was Brian Williams!

• Love 6

WG was just who I expected her to be today.....leaving RO alone, not really entering the chat about her documentary or yelling and shaking her finger NO!  even when they were discussing Brian Williams. Or Kanye. Now the media is looking into a 3rd issue of BW's - the Israeli-Hezbolla war and being shot at in addition to being in the shot down Chinook in Iraq and his comments about his experiences during Katrina. Not looking good for him at all. 

Whoopi is really damned if she does and damned if she doesn't. Usually people are complaining that Whoopi is butting in and taking over the conversation, but here she was sitting back and letting Rosie have the attention and she's criticized for not entering the chat. I think she was fine today. 

She smiled a bit when Rosie mentioned how black people's skin looks ashy or, "I don't really know exactly what" but didn't show any signs of disapproval or disdain. 

Did Rosie expect to be co-moderator when she was hired this season? That's an important point, because if this is part of the stress, then it's understandable that she's pissed at Whoopi. But if on the other hand she knew that Whoopi would be the one presenting the topics, and throwing to commercials, she should have been prepared for that. 

I wonder why Rosie felt she had to "keep up appearances" by pretending she was with Michelle if they had been separated for a few months, and why it came out at the same time as her other bombshell. Taken together, it seemed that she was suffering some huge, sudden seismic shift, when really the two events were separate. (She continued to work without any complaints even after her home situation blew up.) 

• Love 2

I was probably responding to a comment that I made several days ago......WG will be kinder and more gentle to RO when, imo, she has attacked, lectured, shot down  RO for months. 

RO's reasons for leaving early are complicated. And wise, at least to me. I don't know that RO misled us about Michelle - and don't really care since breakups are very emotional....and private. 

Both RO and WG are damned if they do or don't. 

My point, although not stated well I realize, is that WG has singled RO out this season more often than not - and challenged her view on on Cosby and last week Brian Williams to name a few. As the moderator that is not her place. 

• Love 9

Rosie can't win in anything she would've done. Someone will always find fault in how she did this or that. She doesn't owe me any explanation and I don't care how she chose to go out. If it's affecting her health and she needs to leave to be with her family, so be it. For me, Whoopi is a huge part of this show's failings and they need to address it. Either rework the whole show over or put it out to pasture

If I could have liked this comment a thousand times I would have.

RO was a target from the get go - I was shocked to read on this forum of the evil, homophobic comments directed at RO on the show's facebook page and I am sure in other places.

I forget how truly awful most of the internet comments are; ignorant, racist, and any other 'ist' you care to name.

I sigh for my fellow humans...we are just so hateful sometimes.

RO definitely is a passionate person who has strong beliefs.  At the same time she is mostly willing to listen and engage with other points of view.

She has, as do we all, a topic she will go to the wall for, BUT, mostly she is willing to engage and LEARN form those to whom she is talking.

I would love to see her on her own show again, but really, does anyone need the hate speech directed at her?

Hate speech being the 'BFL' references that I can hardly bear typing....she puts herself out there and is polarizing and has had a hard time understanding why she gets blow back.

Whoopi has a platinum shell against criticism and, frankly, I give her lots of credit for that.....RO does not - at least based on what we see.

RO is very vulnerable, Whoopi is tougher.

Sorry for the rambling, I think my 'free range' typing has taken over.

I so wanted these two wonderful, talented women to bond and raise the show to a top notch level and we get the reverse.

Nothing has worked or been entertaining or informative in the 6 years I have been watching - Jan, 2009 was the start - the plug should have been pulled a long time ago - Feb 2009 maybe, just sayin' -.

I had always heard such great things about the show when I was young and working and was looking forward to the show when I retired - just in time to wish I were still working!  I can't tell you all how disappointed I was when I began watching routinely - the who was awful and boring to boot.

In the time I have watched The View it was rarely entertaining except in a "DID YOU SEE THAT" implied crazy pants stuff.  Sort of like rubbernecking a car crash, you don't want to look but there it is.

Stick a fork in it, if it is not done someone in 'production' is nuttier that anyone I know.  Why they let it get to this level is a stunning example of overpaid executives not knowing which shoe fits on which foot. 

Or something.

Edited by CuriousParker
  • Love 14

If I could have liked this comment a thousand times I would have.

RO was a target from the get go - I was shocked to read on this forum of the evil, homophobic comments directed at RO on the show's facebook page and I am sure in other places.

I forget how truly awful most of the internet comments are; ignorant, racist, and any other 'ist' you care to name.

I sigh for my fellow humans...we are just so hateful sometimes.

RO definitely is a passionate person who has strong beliefs.  At the same time she is mostly willing to listen and engage with other points of view.

She has, as do we all, a topic she will go to the wall for, BUT, mostly she is willing to engage and LEARN form those to whom she is talking.

I would love to see her on her own show again, but really, does anyone need the hate speech directed at her?

Hate speech being the 'BFL' references that I can hardly bear typing....she puts herself out there and is polarizing and has had a hard time understanding why she gets blow back.

Whoopi has a platinum shell against criticism and, frankly, I give her lots of credit for that.....RO does not - at least based on what we see.

RO is very vulnerable, Whoopi is tougher.

Sorry for the rambling, I think my 'free range' typing has taken over.

I so wanted these two wonderful, talented women to bond and raise the show to a top notch level and we get the reverse.

Nothing has worked or been entertaining or informative in the 6 years I have been watching - Jan, 2009 was the start - the plug should have been pulled a long time ago - Feb 2009 maybe, just sayin' -.

I had always heard such great things about the show when I was young and working and was looking forward to the show when I retired - just in time to wish I were still working!  I can't tell you all how disappointed I was when I began watching routinely - the who was awful and boring to boot.

In the time I have watched The View it was rarely entertaining except in a "DID YOU SEE THAT" implied crazy pants stuff.  Sort of like rubbernecking a car crash, you don't want to look but there it is.

Stick a fork in it, if it is not done someone in 'production' is nuttier that anyone I know.  Why they let it get to this level is a stunning example of overpaid executives not knowing which shoe fits on which foot. 

Or something.

Everything you said, kaygeeret, exactly right & awesome.  You're my girl (for now) LOL.

• Love 4
During that conversation about how the news has evolved from Walter Cronkite's time, I wish someone had mentioned the revocation of the "Fairness Doctrine" during the Reagan administration. News organizations are no longer required to be honest or unbiased (present opposing views).

Hell, Whoopi couldn't even pronounce the newscast she was talking about.  I thought Whoopi laughing at RO suggesting that network anchors should be trustworthy was rude, although RO using a reference from the 1960s (Walter Cronkite)  was something only Babs would probably appreciate.  But good grief,  how long has it been since Whoopi has  watched a newscast?  The McClear - Lerner Hour?????   I'm guessing she meant the MacNeil-Lehrer Report on PBS that hasn't been on the air since 1995  (Yes, I looked it up, lol)  when MacNeil left.  For the last six years, it's been called the PBS NewsHour.  I think I understand Whoopi's point, but when she doesn't have her facts straight and can't pronounce words her argument loses credibility.  

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 14

Who's running this show?

This is an excellent question.   The show runners on this mess have never really been clearly identified - not when Geddie was at the helm and not now.  

Her FB video made me tear up a bit . . .

Me too.  Thank you so much ginger for linking it.

At first I thought it was odd that RO didn't mention her leaving - even after Nicolle basically gave her an opening by quoting RO's comment on the press line this weekend, "Something's got to give…"    But it's become rather standard practice on this show and after seeing that video of RO explaining it was her decision, I think I get it.  Separations/marriage problems are really painful and private and I wouldn't want to get into a discussion with the assholes I work with about it either.  I still think it made for an awkward Hot Topics but that's nothing new.    

• Love 9

So Babs told Bill O'Reilly that Rosie coming back on the show would never work.  Did she know the knives would be out? Or is Babs a backstabber as she has been labeled by other columnists and was gossiping with another one of her good right wing buddies?  What did she tell Trump?

I thought I read that Rosie told her wife she would not tell anyone they were separated and that is why it was quiet.  In my view it wasn't my business.  She said she finally told her she had to in order to explain her reasons for leaving the show.  Rosie not announcing anything on air might also be a promise to Michelle...we just don't know what they have agreed to in this situation. 

I don't know how Rosie doesn't have PTSD after working on this show this year. How could anyone take the backstabbing that was fed to the media and still come to work every day.  I wonder how her children felt reading this kind of hateful reporting and then the many vile comments that followed.  She probably never expected this drip, drip, drip to the media  when she agreed to join the program. 

I like her, warts and all.  She is a generous person and obviously she knows when to say o.k. you don't need me I am leaving.  She is not a quitter in my eyes, they drove her out and now Whoop owns it all!

• Love 20

The "Powers" wanted her to address the issue, but she chose not to, by her own admission.  Cementhead has it right - her tweet was a big FU to all her fans that she claims to love.

I don't think any way someone sees it is "right," but I'm not sure you could say, considering the second part of your post pretty much says you aren't one of those fans. As someone who has become a fan of her this year, I don't see it as an FU because it's really none of my business what she decides to do in regards to her job. Other fans may feel differently, but that's why nobody's feelings are "right."

• Love 7

I thought Whoopi laughing at RO suggesting that network anchors should be trustworthy was rude, although RO using a reference from the 1960s (Walter Cronkite) was something only Babs would probably appreciate.

I agree, that was another one of those moments where Whoopi tries to hide her disdain for Rosie by laughing as she makes her condescending remarks, and then of course it's followed by Nicole's obnoxious cackle. The look on Rosie's face made we want to cry. When I see this kind of behavior it makes me feel better about her decision to leave the show; no one wants to be treated with such disrespect. I'm getting to the point where I despise WG.
  • Love 15

For the life of me, I can't remember the words. HEPPP. It should be a little diddy but it doesn't come flowing out. I can remember hot, but actually it is heat which throws me off, puke. I want to remember pale but I keep seeing ashy now. I would have went with clammy instead of pale. I can't at all remember the other P. I just don't like these letters and descriptions. It needs to be modified by someone in charge of those kinds of things. I can remember the words to AIDS, SDR, NFL, MADD, and many others. But HEPPP has me stumped.

Hot, exhausted, pale, puke and I guess one more "P" I can't remember.

Edit: had to Google - the first "P" is pain.  So hot, exhausted, pain, pale, puke

Edited by buffynut

It's not a perfect acronym, but it's something to get women thinking about heart attacks as a possible health risk.  I know when my friend's mother had a heart attack, she was sweating like crazy and vomiting. This was after Rosie started talking about her heart attack, so I recalled her mentioning hot and puke as symptons.

• Love 1

Nicolle lied. All the intelligence did not suggest that Saddam Hussein had WMD. The Cheney/Bush manufactured intelligence did. She needs to watch the first ten minutes of The Daily Show from last night that RO referenced and RO needs to get the hell out of there before she explodes. 

Edited by merriebreeze
  • Love 11

What in Gods name is wrong with Whoopi?  Her face is bloated, she has some kind of sack hanging off the back of her head and her clothes are as always ridiculous.  This forgiveness of people that Rosie P speaks of must only apply to liars.  I wonder how forgiving she is for people who make offensive remarks in public?  merriebreeze, agree Rosie O is gonna blow up any time now.

• Love 3

Wow, Ro does not want to be there.

I started watching this show simply because Rosie was going to be on.  You're right she doesn't want to be there and is making that clear.  The other women are bending over backwards to not upset her.  For better or worse at least they are making an effort to be professional and to make the show work. 

• Love 1

So why is Rosie still here...she doesn't owe anyone anything really.  She is walking away, breaking her contract, and refusing to talk about it on air.  I would rather her go out w/a bang this week but she seems content to just sit back and put in maybe 5% to the hot-topics, and the other 95% sit and nod.  It really angers me and I wish she just wouldn't show up if this is what we are going to get for the next two days.

So we are talking about the Brian Williams news controversy, and all of a sudden Whoopi just starts talking about being mad about saying we should be sending troops to fight ISIS?  Ugh...

I can't wait till next week I won't have to watch anymore YouTube clips or hear Whoopi narrating the videos.

Seeing Mario Cantone has made me miss him at the table since Rosie P showed back up.  I really wish he would be the fifth panel member for this last week of Rosie O.

Good lord Marcia Gay Harden talks a mile a minute.

• Love 3

Yes, they're trying to make it work. Now that she's leaving.

Whoopi is acting like an idiot.

That's not unusual at this point. I mean, it's not as if she was ever of high intelligence before, but she really dialed it down a notch this year. Brain cells must be jumping ship left and right.

• Love 3

So we are talking about the Brian Williams news controversy, and all of a sudden Whoopi just starts talking about being mad about saying we should be sending troops to fight ISIS?  Ugh...

Was that before or after she interrupted the Brian Williams discussion to explain to us her ass situation.  OMG.  I just can't ......

• Love 12

Did my ears deceive me or did Nicolle announce that she's a Republican while she was dancing?  Who does that?  I don't watch any other show where a host has to repeatedly announce their political affiliation at random moments.  Is it in her contract that she has to do it so many times a month?  Maybe she just like to do it.  I'm picturing her pulling up to red lights, rolling down her window, sticking her head out and shouting, "I'm a Republican!"

• Love 6