Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E13: Rash Decisions

Phil is afraid that the teenage Luke is starting to push him away, but Andy is ready to fill the void. Meanwhile, Jay has a dilemma when Joe may be allergic to Stella; and Mitchell does some freelance legal work at his father's closet company, where he frequently crosses paths with Claire.

I've never watched another show such as this one that can go from being SO great one week, to being a total DUD the next.  It is the strangest thing.

Sarah Highland was the star of this episode with her long phone monologue in the car.  She was fabulous!  Loved it.

And the only real laugh I had was when Manny said he was tired from the marathon yesterday and Jay says 'you mean the Downton Abbey marathon?' and Manny sighs and says 'that family is so exhausting.'  And the only reason I found this to be funny probably is because I have been binge-watching DA for the last week.  Actually turned it off to watch this dud. 

• Love 1

Seriously, could somebody remind me of the first season epuisodes that were, you know, funny?  Because I'm beginning to think I imagined them.

You didn't imagine them LOL - you can catch them on USA network. 

Having said that, I thought this episode was the best of the season so far, but that's not saying much because the season has been awful.  I liked the Andy person when he was the nanny, but I don't like him with Phil.  It seems forced to me. 

I don't know what the solution is - but this show has really lost its appeal.

• Love 1

Best thing about Modern Family tonight was Fresh Off the Boat before and after it.

Luke has gotten really bad. 

Sara delivered Haley's monologue expertly- I wanted to smack her.  And I did laugh when Alex called the interviewer a slut.

The dog isn't interesting to me as a character. Even if it is a cute dog.  But I did like Lily this episode.

• Love 1

Sarah Hyland's delivery of the monologue was great, but I loved watching Ariel Winter's facial expressions. Making Alex go from prepping for her interview, to listening to her sister's phone call, to being disgusted by it, to being annoyed by it, and then telling her to shut up. She was also great when she was overhearing her interviewers phone conversation.

Other than that, kind of a clunker. I really hated the Gloria/Stella/Jay storyline. Someone needs to sit Nolan Gould in an acting class. Or maybe an elocution class.

• Love 2

[Chandler Bing voice]  Could Julie Bowen GET any skinnier?  Please give that lady a sandwich.

Yep, not much to say.  I did enjoy Cam's facial expressions when he and Mitchell were doing a talking-head session.

I also liked Jay's farewell speech to Stella, and then they show Cam crying.

• Love 2

I burst out laughing when Alex accidentally called the interviewer a slut.

I actually thought Sarah Hyland's delivery of the monologue in the car was really bad - it didn't sound like an actual phone conversation at all, and just sounded really rehearsed, rushed and fake (and not in the way it was supposed to be rushed and fake Valley Girl-sounding).

Lots of little plots, zero Pritchett/Dunphy/Pritchett-Tucker interaction. Boo.

I love Stella's tubby adorableness, so that kind of made up for the lackluster plots.

• Love 1

I burst out laughing when Alex accidentally called the interviewer a slut.

As someone who is in full agreement that a number of this season's episodes have stunk to high heaven, I enjoyed this one. That college interview moment was a highlight, as was (for me) the one near the opening in which Alex is getting her game-face on in front of the mirror. When she threw back her head and laughed haughtily, I guffawed. Good performance by Ariel Winter throughout.

• Love 1

I bet Princeton is not happy with how it's fictional interviewer was portrayed: not caring/badmouthing of their grades, scores, and musical accomplishments in favor of buffoonish stories to impress.  I guess Alex calling her that word means she's not getting  recommendation from the interviewer to be admitted into Princeton.  The show will keep her close to home at the local college she visited in the LA area so the actress can still appear regularly (unless the actress is herself attending college far away from the set).

I bet Princeton is not happy with how it's fictional interviewer was portrayed: not caring/badmouthing of their grades, scores, and musical accomplishments in favor of buffoonish stories to impress.  I guess Alex calling her that word means she's not getting  recommendation from the interviewer to be admitted into Princeton.  The show will keep her close to home at the local college she visited in the LA area so the actress can still appear regularly (unless the actress is herself attending college far away from the set).

Princeton may not like it but you know how it is portrayed there has to be true, to some extent, for those doing the interviews.  But then I doubt you would do an interview for Princeton in a public place at a local coffee shop.  I am over 40 though, who knows what they do now. 

Also that plot seemed like a tamed down, shorter version of the movie Risky Business. 

Just realized both Modern Family and the Middle tonight had plots revolving around high school seniors messing up on some part of their college entrance process. 

I thought it was nice of Mitch to help out his sister after he had his fun at the office and became "popular" for a few days. 

Princeton may not like it but you know how it is portrayed there has to be true, to some extent, for those doing the interviews.  But then I doubt you would do an interview for Princeton in a public place at a local coffee shop.  I am over 40 though, who knows what they do now.

I've heard of people doing interviews or "chats" as some of them called it in Starbucks or local bakeries actually.  Though, she'd probably text her friend her complaints as opposed to talking about it on the phone really loudly when she has another candidate scheduled to come in. That's incredibly unbelievable.

• Love 2

Maybe the show picked Princeton because its admissions process had already been trashed in the Tina Fey movie Admissions. If Princeton didn't sue for defamation over that one, they'll pretty much tolerate anything.

Of course, for any school to sue over a depiction of its admissions process, they'd have to be confident that a trial wouldn't bring out the truth, which is no doubt much, much worse than anything Hollywood could come up with.

I hate that Alex had to become Haley to succeed, ugh. Heaven forbid she get ahead because of her intellect and skills, no, she has to emote like a trashy airhead to be considered. Please, showrunners, can Alex just have a win for being Alex?

The rest of the show? Meh. Gloria has to sneer-yell yet again, Haley is an insufferable brat, Luke is a robot, lather, rinse, repeat. Yawn. I didn't think Claire looked too thin, I thought she looked good.

• Love 3

I think Gloria looks fantastic.

Sad that Alex cant get a win for just being Alex. I totally agree. But I didn't buy that she accidently took it too far with "slut." Alex is smarter than that.

The whole Manny Nanny (as opposed to the son Manny which is confusing) the whole Manny plot with Phil was confusing. His character seems sort of shoe-horned in to me.

• Love 1

I hate that Alex had to become Haley to succeed, ugh. Heaven forbid she get ahead because of her intellect and skills, no, she has to emote like a trashy airhead to be considered. Please, showrunners, can Alex just have a win for being Alex?

I actually thought that was Alex having a win for being Alex. (Or at least almost, before "slut.") She read the situation with the interviewer acutely, and quickly adjusted her game accordingly. She used her intellectual resources to improvise on the spot in a way Haley never would have been smart enough to do.

• Love 1

I didn't mind where the Alex story went so much, found it believable and amusing.  There is IQ and then there is what some call "emotional intelligence" and as in most sitcoms, they split the kids and have one with each and neither with both.  ALex has a high IQ but struggles with peer to peer interactions many times, Haley is just the opposite.  (They do the same thing on The Middle with Axel and Sue)  I agree at least Alex here was able to read the situation and see to stand out she needed to swtich strategies in order to stand, plus, well, she heard the phone call, which she almost pulled off, she just took it too far because she was doing it off the cuff without much forthought.  If she had more time to think about it I am sure she would not have called the interviewer a "slut" and it would have worked.   She wasn't trying to turn into "airhead" Haley, she was trying to show she had outside the "norm" (for Princeton applicants, at least) interests and provide some interesting anecdotes to separate herself, even if those things were made up. 

• Love 1

It wasn't a bad episode its just I feel like Haley has completely regressed back to High School now. She isn't a 21 year old trying to get her life together. She is worried about her phones, friends, telling her sister she is a loser and mooching off her parents. I thought the phone call was was done both during and after but Haley comes off as a complete stupid moocher now. I do agree though, Alex's first outfit look like she was going hiking not to a college interview. Please have Alex stop dressing bad, she just because she has a high IQ doesn't make her that oblivious as the interview showed. She just takes it to far when she switches strategies. Really, I hate Luke, Andy Phil right now its just bad. Both the acting and the way the stories work. Also, getting rid of Stella would not have been the first option. There would have been minor allergy testing on Joe first and they would have tried a non rashed area and done the test. If it would have reacted, there is the dog allergy. Other wise, its like Gloria is trying to think of reasons to get rid of Stella no matter what and why did she need that cream? As for Manny, he probably has a minor dog allergy and why his eyes and breathing are a bit out of wack but it comes off like Jay just wishes Manny was ran over by a car. Where is the caring he use to have?

• Love 1

Other wise, its like Gloria is trying to think of reasons to get rid of Stella no matter what

Gloria's disdain of Stella has been one of my least favorite running jokes. SHE was the one who first brought Stella into the home and implored Jay to let her and Manny keep her! Gloria thought Stella was adorable and was happy when Jay didn't leave her at the pound. Her sudden dislike of her came out of nowhere and is just really annoying at this point.

• Love 2

Gloria's disdain of Stella has been one of my least favorite running jokes. SHE was the one who first brought Stella into the home and implored Jay to let her and Manny keep her! Gloria thought Stella was adorable and was happy when Jay didn't leave her at the pound. Her sudden dislike of her came out of nowhere and is just really annoying at this point.

Exactly! If it was that Gloria was hating that Jay became a dog obsessed owner and hated that fact, then I can understand that. Instead she comes off as hoping that no one is looking, stabbing Stella and then hiding the body. Its not funny.

Edited by readster
  • Love 1

I doubt you would do an interview for Princeton in a public place at a local coffee shop.

Mr. Thog does alumni interviews for another ivy league school. They're meant to be very low-stress - just a chance for prospective students to ask questions about the school and chat with someone who's been there. The interviewer does get to make a recommendation, but it's not likely to make or break a student's chances. And yes, they're usually held in coffee shops. Based on the location, Alex's casual dress, and the interviewer's line about "I hope we weren't that boring when we went to Princeton," I assumed that's what this was - not a formal part of the admissions process, just a chat with an alum.

When did everyone on this show get so mean? I used to love how sweet it was; even though they carped at each other, in the end you could always see how much love was there.

• Love 4

I think he was just volunteering for a short time there or working for a short time there to help out??? THey said something but it just like a line or two, really glossed over it quite a bit

In his TH he said that he was looking forward to doing a few days of freelance legal work for his dad.  It was just a throwaway plot device so they could do a casual-laid-back-Mitch-vs.-uptight-bitchy-Claire-role-reversal-thing. [sigh]

Any time this show is Stella-centric is alright with me.  That said, it seemed unrealistic that Stella was able to get into Gloria's face cream in the first place.  I think we were supposed to think that she pulled Gloria's purse open and the face cream fell out (there was also a mascara brush or something on the floor), but how did she get the lid off the jar?  Uh uh, not buying it.  That said, I was touched by how much it obviously hurt Jay to give Stella up (even though I knew very well he wasn't really going to lose her for realsies).

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Love 1

When did everyone on this show get so mean? I used to love how sweet it was; even though they carped at each other, in the end you could always see how much love was there.

I agree, everyone is so hateful the last couple of years. Don't get me started on Cam and Mitchell about how much they have turned into a very hateful couple. As I said with Haley, it was just way too 16 year old high school with her dorky little sister around. To be truthful, why couldn't Alex drive herself? She can drive, it wasn't like Phil was doing anything? I got where Claire was coming from with the employees but I was on her side the entire episode. She wasn't in full shrew mode this episode. Gloria and Haley came off as so angry at everyone like the smallest thing ruins their perfect little worlds. Another thing, why was Gloria even wearing that cream? She talked about how she loved it but what was it really for? Especially if neither Jay nor Manny noticed it until Stella was out of the house. If it was the cream it might be that Joe has an allergy to roses or similar organic materials. The cream might have caused the break out since Gloria was touching Joe after putting it on. However, that means the kid has allergies to to more than just organic cream that smells like roses. As I said earlier, this is where Joe would be getting allergy tests. Not just the doctor going: "Get rid of the dog and if that fixes things, ok." Instead of: "Well, could be the dog or something he is eating or touching or your or your husband is touching." That's why even kids who have severe allergies to everything that grows are tested to see what really effects them because you can't just say: "Take the kid off of milk and he'll be fine." Just because it might seem a kid is lactose and tolerant doesn't mean they couldn't have related allergies to other types of foods or process. There be under line allergies and sometimes one is major and another is minor. As I said with Manny, he might have a minor allergy to dogs but nothing that could interrupt his regular life. Means when he leaves the house, he is out of that allergy creating environment and is fine once he leaves or if he goes outside for a while. Yet he was on the Anti-Stella train with Gloria.

Edited by readster

Don't like the continued dislike for Stella coming from Manny and Gloria.  They were the ones that wanted Jay to keep the dog.  Gloria took the dog in from that guy with the potential dog treat business.  Manny was thrilled to have Stella.  Haley continues to be a awful person.  Selfish obnoxious brat.  She would be perfect for

Axl Heck in a cross over episode.  Poor Alex, never gets break.

• Love 1

Don't like the continued dislike for Stella coming from Manny and Gloria.  They were the ones that wanted Jay to keep the dog.  Gloria took the dog in from that guy with the potential dog treat business.  Manny was thrilled to have Stella.  Haley continues to be a awful person.  Selfish obnoxious brat.  She would be perfect for

Axl Heck in a cross over episode.  Poor Alex, never gets break.

Exactly! They wanted Stella and Jay didn't but fell in love with Stella and they went into: "Burn her!" "Let her die!" Why? I agree, Haley would be perfect for Axl, they always think of themselves and only have rare breakthroughs about others. As I have said, Haley has turned back into a mooching 16 year old not a 21 year old who is trying to get her life together. 

Edited by readster
  • Love 1

I haven't watched this show since last summer because Cam is ridiculous. Luke looks totally different. He has really changed in the looks dept.

And sounds totally different.  And acts totally different - and by "acts" I don't mean the way the character behaves, I means the actor's acting skills.   He is just so wooden.  He reminds me of a muppet - the mouth opens and closes but the lips don't really change shape and the face shows no emotion.  He used to be such a good child actor - not only with his delivery, but his reaction shots and the slapstick stuff. 

The actor who plays Luke is supposed to have a genius IQ, I think he is trying to get out of his contract by giving poor performances. It is the only explanation I can come up with.

• Love 1

People keep talking about the genius IQ of the actor who plays Luke.  That's wonderful, but it has nothing to do with acting skills, which at this point in time are just awful.  Ship all the Dunphey kids off to school or something.  Alex is the only one that is tolerable.

• Love 1

I didn't mean to imply that he should be able to act because he has a genius IQ, I meant he was smart enough to try to find a way out of his contract that wouldn't get him sued (unlike actors that just storm off the set or start ranting on twitter).

I didn't mean to imply that he should be able to act because he has a genius IQ, I meant he was smart enough to try to find a way out of his contract that wouldn't get him sued (unlike actors that just storm off the set or start ranting on twitter).

It's enitely possible he enjoys being on the show but also having a high IQ doesn't make someone an expert in contract law.

I think Gould has just become one of those teen actors that had the fit early in the series and now has either stop trying or due to both changes in his age and other factors kind of lost some of what makes Luke who he is. I mean, they covered this with Manny last year saying how people find Manny's antics more acceptable now instead of Luke constantly being annoying and so oblivious to things at times. Not that Manny isn't still annoying to adults and even Gloria is now admitting Manny acts very oblivious now and it has been annoying her for years. Luke's recent venture of peaking at the neighbor girl and being caught was pretty normal in my opinion even if it had its problems. I had a girl from school years ago who liked to go tanning outside their house which was on my old bike route when I was heading to the park in middle school. One day she told me to stop riding by and I admitted yes I would look over because she was attractive but I decided to stop. Found out a few weeks later she was doing it on purpose because she liked the attention it brought her from guys like me and two of her neighbor boys who were in the same school as us. 

Luke wanting to do something else instead of hanging out with Phil was very normal but where they went with Luke feeling replaced by Andy was too much. Andy has reached the point where he is so one note. He's super nanny but has a very destructive relationship with that girlfriend of his. Then making him Phil junior is a lot worse. I would have no problem if Andy decides to ditch everyone to go with his on again, off again girlfriend and never be heard from again.

Where are they going with Andy?  He is not shown for weeks, then he is back and is hanging out with Phil?  I thought he worked for Gloria and Jay.  I think the writers want him there, but don't know what to do with him.  He and Haley would be ridiculous.  Hayley and anyone but Dylan is ridiculous.

• Love 2

Princeton may not like it but you know how it is portrayed there has to be true, to some extent, for those doing the interviews.  But then I doubt you would do an interview for Princeton in a public place at a local coffee shop.  I am over 40 though, who knows what they do now. 

That's exactly what is done now days.  And it seems like just a chat in a coffee shop with an alum, but it gets factored into the application.  Back in the olden days when I was applying to college, you went to their home, but everyone is so nervous these days that first date rules apply.

And since someone mentioned it, the "local school" that Alex visited last season was Cal Tech.  As hard to get into as Princeton, except they don't care if you do music.

I liked the line about the Downton Abbey marathon, and that the young lovely at the Closet store got the exact same shirt as Claire, but it didn't fit the same way.

Where are they going with Andy?  He is not shown for weeks, then he is back and is hanging out with Phil?  I thought he worked for Gloria and Jay.  I think the writers want him there, but don't know what to do with him.  He and Haley would be ridiculous.  Hayley and anyone but Dylan is ridiculous.

No, he quit the nanny job to work with Phil because he wants to be a Realestate agent because he doesn't want to be the live in guy anymore. He wants a career now. But it's true, if he is Phil's assistant now, he should be shown regularly unless Phil isn't working of course they really have Realestate world really mixed up now. 

• Love 1

I have a French Bulldog myself, so Stella storylines are always my favourite. I kept squawking at the TV: "you better not be writing out the dog! I will stop watching if you write Stella out of the show!"

So much Stella. I loved it. Her and Jay just make me happy. One of my favorite things in the whole series was when Stella was taking a shower with Jay. Poor Cam..I hope he got visitation rights. Ed O'Neill looked good...more like the older guy who would have a trophy wife.

I enjoyed everything but Haley and Alex. The Alex storylines always wear me out. She's wrapped soooo tight.

I still don't like Andy but thought him, Phil, and Luke were funny together. They all seemed so clueless.