Type keyword(s) to search

The All You Can Eat Buffet: My 600 Pound Life All Episode Discussion

• Start Topic

I was just watching the tail end of Christina's first episode from 2014 where she was checking out going to the nursing school.  I saw a post she had on Facebook a few months ago where someone asked her about that and she said she still has never started nursing school, but hoped to soon. LOL! well when you consider that was at least four years she said she was going, so I dunno.  

• Love 1

In case anyone's interested, my DVR has picked up to record a "First Look: Doug" on TLC at 10:32 p.m. tonight. Doug is the next "Where Are They Now" episode because this season just WILL NOT END. 

I'll be watching only to remind me who the hell Doug is. 

41 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

There was a Doug?

Right?! Apparently there was...and it was an episode I evidently watched (yet barely remember). Here's the PTV thread from last year. From what I recall (after refreshing my memory through the comments) it was a pretty boring two-hour episode that's been rewarded with another two-hour episode that will, if history bears out, will be as boring as its predecessor. 

I'm looking forward to the update on juggalo girl, the one who got washed on her back porch. I know she had some fits on the trail to Houston, but I was impressed with the way that she cooperated with therapy and cooperated with the process. Her dad was obviously an addict, and her mom was a b, and she turned to food instead of drugs. But again, once she got on board, she stayed with the diet in spite of the fact that her family was eating all kinds of junk food around her all the livelong day. My guess would be that she would be a candidate for skin surgery if she didn't have it already. She was so young to have those two kids. And, she was taking them to the park, spending time with them, all that. And her goofball pothead boyfriend seemed devoted to her. If ever there was a person who made an effort to 'rise above her raisin'' so to speak, she would be it. Does anyone remember her name?

She was lambasted on the internet, and I felt kind of bad about that. If she does something really ridiculous on the followup, I'm sure I won't be above a snarky comment or two myself because, I'm me, but I really did like her! 

12 hours ago, Jeeves said:

There was a Doug?

I know, right? And he gets a whole two hours while our favorite indigent, James, had to share an hour with the ever-boring Cynthia.

• Love 4

He's got a good sense of humour.  I remember one enabler defending herself saying ....'he gets mad if I don't get him the food he wants"  To which Dr. Now replied "What can he do?  He can't get out of bed and hit you".

• Love 1

Apparently I've mentioned this show often enough to my trainer that he tried to watch it Wednesday night. I say "tried" because he bailed - as any sensible non-Pounder would - at the first sight of James' legs. That got me to thinking, what would be good introductory episodes for someone? I finally came up with Olivia's episodes as a possibility. Her first episode is only an hour and there's a follow-up on her. She was reasonably compliant, but there was still drama, and her end-story was inspiring if I'm remembering it rightly. (Been a long time since I've watched her.)  Any other suggestions?

Oh, and it was kind of funny how I was going through all my strength and flexibility training yesterday and explaining to my trainer the whole background of "Ow, my laigs!" and "It's FRAHHHH-D!"

• Love 1
2 hours ago, CoachWristletJen said:

Does anyone remember her name?

Nicole. And I agree...would love to see an update on her. (Though I have a far less charitable recollection as you! I didn't much care for her or her low interest in caring for her kids.)

1 minute ago, Miracle Maxie said:

That got me to thinking, what would be good introductory episodes for someone?

I'd suggest one of the earlier episodes where they didn't rely so much on the cliched reenactments. Ya know, rope your friend in, then they can get let down little by little as each season goes by with the repetitiveness of the show. :) 

(edited)
15 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

Right?! Apparently there was...and it was an episode I evidently watched (yet barely remember). Here's the PTV thread from last year. From what I recall (after refreshing my memory through the comments) it was a pretty boring two-hour episode that's been rewarded with another two-hour episode that will, if history bears out, will be as boring as its predecessor. 

From Friday's sneak peek:

Spoiler

Doug becomes a vegetarian and ditches Dr. Now's diet plan in favor of inventing one of his own design using information he gathered from the interwebs.  Place your bets now on how that works for him.

Edited by dahling
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, dahling said:

From Friday's sneak peek:

Hide contents

Doug becomes a vegetarian and ditches Dr. Now's diet plan in favor of inventing one of his own design using information he gathered from the interwebs.  Place your bets now on how that works for him.

HA! I did watch the (boring) 15-minute 'preview, too' and:

Spoiler

Doug's idea of a "vegetarian" diet was ridiculous. Also, his son has boobs. He needs to get a handle on that child's diet stat.

On 6/22/2018 at 10:03 PM, Giant Misfit said:

After watching that reminder bit, I think my favorite part of Doug's episode was his wife, who had previously undergone the surgery, so she knew quite a lot about what he was getting into. She also talked about trying to teach their child(ren?) about healthy eating.

I wasn’t sure where to post this. I’ve been watching a few of the older episodes and I noticed something. When these people arrive at the hospital the first time, before they even meet Dr Now, they greet him and call him Dr Now rather than Dr Nowzaradan. Does this seem weird to anyone? I think as they go through the program and see him a lot they get more comfortable and then I can see it. But it seems a little presumptuous and disrespectful to start with such familiarity. 

• Love 2

I watched an early episode from 2012, Ashley, before it became as series maybe, and she was meeting with a dietician before the surgery.
She was one with the hateful mother, who made fun of her.

• Love 1

I have a question about something I've noticed a lot on this show (and also on intervention). I'm wondering what's up with all the people yelling about how "No one will help meeeee!" when they have family who are providing for their every need, up to and including toileting), Dr Now and his program and, in many cases, therapists and nutritionists. What kind of help are they looking for that they aren't already receiving?

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, satrunrose said:

What kind of help are they looking for that they aren't already receiving?

They're waiting for Madame Pomfrey from the Hogwarts hospital wing to show up with a magic wand and make them thin with beautiful, tight skin overnight with no effort on the part of the patient.  

(For those wondering what this means, it's a "Harry Potter" magic thing.)

• Love 18
On 6/29/2018 at 12:21 PM, 3girlsforus said:

I wasn’t sure where to post this. I’ve been watching a few of the older episodes and I noticed something. When these people arrive at the hospital the first time, before they even meet Dr Now, they greet him and call him Dr Now rather than Dr Nowzaradan. Does this seem weird to anyone? I think as they go through the program and see him a lot they get more comfortable and then I can see it. But it seems a little presumptuous and disrespectful to start with such familiarity. 

He may refer to himself as Dr. Now.  I know some people with more complicated last names sometimes do that.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, AZChristian said:

They're waiting for Madame Pomfrey from the Hogwarts hospital wing to show up with a magic wand and make them thin with beautiful, tight skin overnight with no effort on the part of the patient.  

(For those wondering what this means, it's a "Harry Potter" magic thing.)

I see what you did??

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, OoogleEyes said:

Ugh. Watching the Nathan's Hot dog Eating Contest.  I wish some of our 'Pounders would compete. 

They could line up the beds.... 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

Haw y’all doing? I haven’t been here in a while. I love this forum, y’all are so friendly and funny but I had to take a break from this show. Now I’m trying to catch up with the episodes I missed. For the majority of these folks the entitlement is astounding. 

So far I’ve seen:

Doug’s follow up and I adore him and his wife!

I watched Chuck’s and Amber’s original episodes this morning. I lol every time Chuck starts sniveling. As much as Chuck is an ass, that’s how much Amber is a sweetheart! I cry with her every time she does and cheer for her at the end.

I watched James “oww mah laig” K’s follow up. He’s awful but that wife/girlfriend is plain sinister.

Schnee at first I wanted to root for her because the hell she survived as a child but she lost me around the time they moved to Texas.

Currently watching Janine, I want to root for her because I’m adopted too. I peeked in her thread and I’m sure it won’t last. Anyone notice at the beginning all of the places in her apt. where the drywall had been repaired but not repainted? I wondered if that’s from her running that damn scooter into it or if she just lives in a shitty apartment. 

• Love 6

Hi all! I’m a relatively new watcher. Love the live chats!  

SImce the show has begun have any Pounders died? Dr. Now always tells them they’re close to death and I know not everyone is successful.......

• Love 1

SImce the show has begun have any Pounders died? 

One died of causes unrelated to his weight and surgery and one died this season mid-episode. Both were men but I can't remember their names.

• Love 2
On 7/4/2018 at 9:48 AM, OoogleEyes said:

Ugh. Watching the Nathan's Hot dog Eating Contest.  I wish some of our 'Pounders would compete. 

God. This is so gross 

3 years ago we went into our local IHOP and in the next booth was a skinny Asian woman with a tri-pod set up next to her table.  She was filming/timing how long it took her to eat a plate of pancakes and the employees kept snapping pics of her with their cell phones as they kept bringing out a pound of pancakes on each plate.  We thought it was odd, but whatever, it’s Vegas and lots of odd stuff goes on in Vegas.

After we got home I happened to catch a news clip with a picture of the woman we sat next to, the local famous professional eater — Miki Sudo— and I said to Mr. Kicotan that if only we were up on the latest things, we would have recognized her when we sat down!

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

One died of causes unrelated to his weight and surgery and one died this season mid-episode. Both were men but I can't remember their names.

Henry Foots from season 2(?) died some time after his show was filmed.  He was a really lovely man and I hated reading that on the screen at the end.  Robert was the one from this season.

• Love 2
(edited)

One theme that seems prevalent in most cases, after the patient has gone off the eating plan, is that the program with Dr. Now is not for them (it's not working) and that they need to take a break or leave that program, as if, there is another program that does not involve consuming less calories.  I'm always curious as to what alternative they really have in mind when they are planning this break. 

I recall the young woman from CA who's home life was an issue, but, despite that, she couldn't wait until she got back there. Of course, what she was warned of what would likely happen, did happen and then she was calling back to Dr. Now.  It must be so frustrating. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 4
(edited)
On 7/6/2018 at 3:15 PM, ThereButFor said:

Henry Foots from season 2(?) died some time after his show was filmed.  He was a really lovely man and I hated reading that on the screen at the end.  Robert was the one from this season.

Is there a place to livestream Robert’s episode? Did he die during filming?

**editing because I should have checked dtv before posting. Anyway, I saw his episode and it was heartbreaking. He was so motivated and then nothing. It makes me wonder if he was suffering from congestive heart failure more so than depression from missing the drugs. My heart goes out to his fiancé and mom. RIP Robert.

Edited by Marilee

As presented during the episode, we saw Robert and his girl friend talking the night before (he wanted her to stay the night with him at the care facility) and the next thing we saw she was back at the apartment trying to get her act together after his death in the early hours of the morning.  At least that's how I remember it. 

• Love 2
(edited)

So this week's episode featuring Nicole- is that Nicole the Juggalo?  

Etid: Never mind- just checked the episode thread and it is indeed the same Nicole.  A round of Faygo for everyone!

Edited by 88Keys
  • Love 6

I would  like to know why their families do not go on a better eating plan also.  some of them need a better eating plan as they are too big. also.   Also when you loose weight your whole eating plan should be healthy and what is the problem with families to do it forever and support them also.  Why does the doctor not consult with that also.  

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Judi said:

I would  like to know why their families do not go on a better eating plan also.  some of them need a better eating plan as they are too big. also.   Also when you loose weight your whole eating plan should be healthy and what is the problem with families to do it forever and support them also.  Why does the doctor not consult with that also.  

They are not his patients.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, cynicat said:

They are not his patients.

This.  

Also, they need to learn to eat better whether their family and friends do or not.  They can't use "everyone around me eats unhealthy" as an excuse for their own bad habits forever.  There is always going to be temptation.  

• Love 6
1 minute ago, 88Keys said:

This.  

Also, they need to learn to eat better whether their family and friends do or not.  They can't use "everyone around me eats unhealthy" as an excuse for their own bad habits forever.  There is always going to be temptation.  

Also This^^^

They aren’t in control of their eating habit if they give in just because everyone else around them is eating things or having portions that are off limits for them.

I forgot who it was, but he made the ridiculous claim that he wasn’t making good progress because he was at home taking care of the kids so he ended up eating the unhealthy foods they do.  WTF?  Why in the name of everything holy are you feeding your kids unhealthy food?  If they are so little they are home all day, their portions of food shouldn’t be that much either.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Ashley D.  You may remember her very large husband who enjoys wearing overalls and adjusting his junk when he stands up. 

Ok, so the one with the adorable little boy and no sheets on her bed. That boy made my heart break. Didn't they already do an update on her? I hope she is doing well.

Why in the name of everything holy are you feeding your kids unhealthy food?

I remember that and I do think that the kids weren't eating super healthy but having said that...

... there is nothing wrong with starches in moderation. If the kids are a healthy weight and are balancing them with proteins, fruits and vegetables, there is no reason they shouldn't eat them. A lot of foods are neither "healthy" nor "unhealthy." Rice isn't on Dr. Now's plan but there is no reason not to feed it to the kids - the patient has to learn to resist the temptation. I think that was also part of this scene - he was making sandwiches for the kids, which are fine for them, but couldn't resist the bread for himself.

• Love 5

On a different note: I've never understood why the family doesn't get on board with the diet. It seems most of them could use it! The patient loses weight and their spouse, parent, sibling "finds" it! The kids would be better off eating good food too. Saving the pizza, pastries, and other crap foods for special occasions. Food like that use to be the exception NOT the day to day fare.

• Love 4
(edited)
On 7/10/2018 at 7:44 AM, Judi said:

I have no idea how I wound up inside the box again, but here's my (Colleena) comment:

It may be that the family is ALL swimming in De Nile. "I'm not the one with the weight problem! I don't have a bad eating habit. HE does!"

Edited by Colleenna
  • Love 1
On 6/29/2018 at 9:21 AM, 3girlsforus said:

I dunno. I had an oncologist named Badiozamani, and his entire staff never called him anything but Doctor B. He was always referred to as such when they spoke to me and so it would have been easy to just call him that all along. But I confess I used to use his entire name because I liked the sound of it. 

• Love 1
On 6/23/2018 at 5:52 PM, Giant Misfit said:

Hide contents

Doug's idea of a "vegetarian" diet was ridiculous.

Ha! This! I have been a strict vegetarian for 35 years and I basically just eat Pringles and Diet Coke. It isn't a healthy diet if you don't make it a healthy diet. Hell, Oreos are vegan!

• Love 3

I didn't see a thread that allowed spoilers and not all of this stuff has occurred on the show yet, so, I'll just put the link in spoiler tags.  It's a summary update of various different patients about things they say TLC doesn't want the viewer to know.  Some of it may have been revealed on the updates, but, not all.  Sean is one of those addressed. The article is from early 2017.  Does anyone know what STATE Sean lives in?

h

4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I didn't see a thread that allowed spoilers and not all of this stuff has occurred on the show yet, so, I'll just put the link in spoiler tags.  It's a summary update of various different patients about things they say TLC doesn't want the viewer to know.  Some of it may have been revealed on the updates, but, not all.  Sean is one of those addressed. The article is from early 2017.  Does anyone know what STATE Sean lives in?

h

As far as we know, Sean still lives in Houston. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

h

Sean was still in Houston at the end of the last episode. I recall him being from Cameron Park CA, a stone’s throw from my town of Sacramento. Where Pauline was from. Who’s also in this article. Freakin’ Pauline.

But look at Amber! <3

• Love 2