Type keyword(s) to search

The All You Can Eat Buffet: My 600 Pound Life All Episode Discussion

• Start Topic

28 minutes ago, Pondlass1 said:

I think it was the Ow My Layygs episode where the wife (or whatever) brings him a giant plate of fat and salt, then asks if he wants a second helping, then plops down half a cake on his chest for dessert.  And he's supposed to be on a 1200 calorie a day diet!!!!!

This is not love.

"But, Dr. Now, I PROMISE YOU he didn't cheat on his diet!!!!"

I don't "get" the enablers, either.  Many of us have been in circumstances (jobs/personal relationships) where we've been expected to do things that we don't want to do.  Maybe we think the request is inappropriate, or downright stupid.  But don't we all have a line that we will not cross?  Don't we finally look at the person making demands and say "No"?  How messed up must these enablers be that they will be intimidated into cleaning up someone who poops in their bed . . . why don't they walk away?

I have no answers.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, AZChristian said:

"But, Dr. Now, I PROMISE YOU he didn't cheat on his diet!!!!"

I don't "get" the enablers, either.  Many of us have been in circumstances (jobs/personal relationships) where we've been expected to do things that we don't want to do.  Maybe we think the request is inappropriate, or downright stupid.  But don't we all have a line that we will not cross?  Don't we finally look at the person making demands and say "No"?  How messed up must these enablers be that they will be intimidated into cleaning up someone who poops in their bed . . . why don't they walk away?

I have no answers.

"I want Chinese food with fried rice"

"well I don't know about the rice because I'm pretty sure it was on the list"

"But its FRRIIIEEEEDDDDDDDD"

It all boils down to education and common sense.  Of which, those people have NEITHER! (they can sure figure out how to post a go-fund me campaign but can't figure out that fried rice is worse for you than regular rice).

ETA: if they had a lick of common sense, they could have definitely fed James his freaking chinese food--Chicken or shrimp with steamed veggies and no sauce (if he wanted to "splurge" he could do a tiny bit of soy sauce on the side or even steak instead of the chicken or shrimp).  No.Common.Sense.

Edited by notyrmomma
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7

According to my on-screen guide, the Steven/Justin show, w/2018 date, sounds like their first show from last season.
It says their father is bring them to Houston to save their lives, despite the fact that they dislike each other.
Isn't that how it all began last year?

And some preview show, that sounds like last year for the twins, when one had the health crisis.

• Love 1

I am so proud of myself.

I needed to do an important errand today and just when I was getting ready to leave who comes on but Awww maaah leg. 

I gathered up all my strength, ok so I watched about 10 minutes, but rallied and turned that sucker off !

I beat my "viewing habit" for (at least) today.

• Love 10
On 12/28/2017 at 0:40 PM, seniorpatriot said:

As for the lapband, I had one for 3 years, stayed sick all of the time, saw very little weight loss and found ways to cheat with it very easily. I had mine removed after 3 years because I was in constant pain with it. 

I had the lapband for 7 years and just had it removed a month ago (because all of a sudden I couldn't even keep water down.)

I only lost 80 lbs with it in all those years, because it's very easy to find ways to cheat with it, unfortunately.  But, I am glad to say it did cure me of my addiction to bread and pasta.

I don't crave them now like I used to (both foods would make me vomit when I had the lapband in.) Now I can eat them, but I just don't want them anymore. But I'm scared to death I'm going to regain weight now that the lapband is out. :(

Oops..back to the show..am watching to keep myself ON TRACK!! :)

• Love 2
On 5/20/2016 at 6:32 PM, Mom2twoNonna2one said:

RE: The article about Biggest Loser. I'm in the process of losing 130 pounds. I've lost 64 so far. I just went to my doctor for my physical and he discussed the article/study with me. He recommended I not lose any more weight for 3 months to give my body a chance to adjust to the changes. Too much weight loss at one time depletes the leptin and reduces your metabolism.

It seems obvious to me that the way we typically diet is really bad for a subset of people. Perhaps why these people get up to 600 lbs. I believe what happens is that you lose weight but your body adjusts.  Your essentially training your body to be super efficient and hungry.  Then you eat "normally" and you gain like crazy. Diets should be like 20 weeks... stop for 20 weeks.... start again... stop until you are at your end point. But you haven't allowed your body to adjust to a lower end point. Like going down a set of stairs.   It might take longer but will last for good. 

I hate to watch this show because a lot of times either they are making it super dramatic or there are a ton of excuses that I don't really believe. Also, none of these people could exist without their enablers. 

• Love 3

They're playing Erica's episode again and her constant "I can just order more food" refrain when she was supposed to be on the diet and people were removing temptation is just incredible. She's constantly complaining that nobody comes to see her and then she goes to her brother's house with the ulterior motive of asking them to ditch their lives and move with her because she can't control herself and needs to be in Houston. Trying to act like it's their fault when she dies is beyond the pale.

Edited by missnoa
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, missnoa said:

because she can't control herself and needs to be in Houston. Trying to act like it's their fault when she dies is beyond the pale.

It has never, as far as I can tell, occurred to any of these people, that one can cut back on eating anywhere.  They seem to think it's a magic Houston thing,
And for a lot, if they lost some pounds up front, the trip would be much easier.
He ought to have them weighed at home, set a goal amount, reweigh them, then let them come to Houston.

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, auntjess said:

It has never, as far as I can tell, occurred to any of these people, that one can cut back on eating anywhere.  They seem to think it's a magic Houston thing,
And for a lot, if they lost some pounds up front, the trip would be much easier.
He ought to have them weighed at home, set a goal amount, reweigh them, then let them come to Houston.

Also, when they just can't gag down the healthy foods they are supposed to eat, they don't ever realize that maybe they could at least eat less of their preferred foods. I mean how about 7 slices of pizza instead of All 8? Baby steps. It's like, "I hate broccoli so screw it, I'll just have a pan of lasagna instead." The surgery seems way premature for a lot of these folks. Surely these behavioral issues should be addressed first. 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, auntjess said:

I admit that I can't abide leafy greens, just can't get them down.
But there's lettuce and celery, and carrots.
They seem to have no idea of normal serving sizes.

No problem - just go eat a half-gallon of ice cream instead. Same diff. ??

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

Also, when they just can't gag down the healthy foods they are supposed to eat, they don't ever realize that maybe they could at least eat less of their preferred foods. I mean how about 7 slices of pizza instead of All 8? Baby steps. It's like, "I hate broccoli so screw it, I'll just have a pan of lasagna instead." The surgery seems way premature for a lot of these folks. Surely these behavioral issues should be addressed first. 

I've always wondered why the therapy is suggested after multiple failures. It really should be a prerequisite to this surgery to commit to working on the 'why' of how this happened to the person, or they're damned to repeat it.

• Love 4
23 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

I've always wondered why the therapy is suggested after multiple failures. It really should be a prerequisite to this surgery to commit to working on the 'why' of how this happened to the person, or they're damned to repeat it.

Agreed. I would go so far as some of these people need to be removed from their environment like foster children. Almost every episode of these series has enablers and mental enablers... who seem to support and encourage the helpless / fatty stereotype.  Since may of them are housebound there is no one to set them straight. 

5 hours ago, BooBear said:

Agreed. I would go so far as some of these people need to be removed from their environment like foster children. Almost every episode of these series has enablers and mental enablers... who seem to support and encourage the helpless / fatty stereotype.  Since may of them are housebound there is no one to set them straight. 

The problem is where they would go. There's not enough resources for inpatient for all these people, & no foster homes for fatties.

People have a right to destroy their own lives. It really irritates me when they insist on taking others down with them.

But it's on those others to get the hell away.  I do understand it's not an easy thing to do, but sometimes it's life or death for them as well.

On 12/29/2017 at 1:40 PM, notyrmomma said:

"I want Chinese food with fried rice"

"well I don't know about the rice because I'm pretty sure it was on the list"

"But its FRRIIIEEEEDDDDDDDD"

My husband is a smart ass.  Unfortunately, we have strep throat here in the house and the only thing I want to eat when I sick like this is hot and sour soup.

I asked him to go out and get me some.  He said, "Not until you ask for it properly."

I laughed and said, "Order me some CHA-NEESE."  Him: "Rice is on your list of things you can't have."  Me and Him: "IT"S FRIIIIIIIIIIIED!"

And I plan that, when he gets back, I am going to ask him why he "gave me only lil' ole egg roll" and I'll "save room for my dessert."

Oh, and of course, when he walks through the door, I am going to holler, "FOOOOOOOOOD!!!!"

• Love 19
3 hours ago, bethster2000 said:

My husband is a smart ass.  Unfortunately, we have strep throat here in the house and the only thing I want to eat when I sick like this is hot and sour soup.

I asked him to go out and get me some.  He said, "Not until you ask for it properly."

I laughed and said, "Order me some CHA-NEESE."  Him: "Rice is on your list of things you can't have."  Me and Him: "IT"S FRIIIIIIIIIIIED!"

And I plan that, when he gets back, I am going to ask him why he "gave me only lil' ole egg roll" and I'll "save room for my dessert."

Oh, and of course, when he walks through the door, I am going to holler, "FOOOOOOOOOD!!!!"

I. Am. Dying. 

My husband and I always want hot and sour soup, or tom ga, when we are sick, too! Kindred spirits. We will have to work on this dialogue. 

Honestly he can’t stand to watch this show. He walked in while Steven was on the other day and said, “ I thought I FORBADE you...” and we both cracked up. I do defer watching until he’s in bed. But I know h’ll enjoy the fried rice role play. 

• Love 3
20 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

They didn't even remove the 500 pound boy (Billy?) from his home when his mom enabled him. I doubt there's much chance of that for these adults.

I thought there was a rumor of an update on Billy. I'd love to know what he's up to. 

Size wise. Because there's  no way he was able to escape from under his mother's skirt.

On 1/3/2018 at 5:47 PM, auntjess said:

James K isn't one of my favorites to re-view.
I have Erica set to record again.  If James had Molly for a sister, he'd been walking by now!

I can listen to James K all the time. I have it on amazon and frequently listen to it at work. Don't know why I find it appealing, but I do. 

Re Billy from Half Ton Son - he was over 18 and happy with the arrangement at home. No body is going to remove him when there are actual children being killed for eating a cookie

Edited by aliya
2 hours ago, bethster2000 said:

If true, it's not surprising.  You can't abuse your body like that for so long and expect to live to 50 (if that).  It's like a slow-motion suicide.

I remember seeing a VERY old Geraldo daytime show in an airport and it was about the first super-morbid obese person I'd ever seen.  I still really remember it because it was shocking!  I think his nickname was Porkchop and lived in Miami with a relative and at least a dozen kid cousins (he was maybe 30).  All those kids did was feed him.  He was worse then James K.  He could only lay on his stomach so as not to stop his heart.  Honestly, he looked like a beached whale.   Anyway read a few years later that he died because all his organs shut down.   

James K's weight will definitely ill him.  I hope Bayley will be sad but also relieved.  Have no idea about Lisa -- probably just find another horrible man.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, bethster2000 said:

OK, I have to say this and I kind of feel like a shit for even feeling this way because he is a human being, but I'm almost mad he's still alive.  Several of my loved ones died too quickly from diseases even though they did everything right.  How he even survived the year of filming with that infection on his legs is beyond me.

Edited by notyrmomma
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, bethster2000 said:

From that link:

Radar learned he didn’t follow his 1,200 calorie-per-day diet, which included baked chicken and vegetables. Instead, he indulged in pizza and hamburgers.

Well, no shit, Radar. You know who else "learned" this? Everyone else who watched the show. Give us all Pulitzers!

So, it seems that James' fiancee removed the entire FB page devoted to James', for lack of a better word, "progress." I wonder if TLC put her on lockdown? 

56 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

Radar learned he didn’t follow his 1,200 calorie-per-day diet, which included baked chicken and vegetables. Instead, he indulged in pizza and hamburgers.

We had McDonald's tonight for dinner.  Husband and I each got a Big Mac and we split a large fries.  I'm not perfect.  I could stand to lose a few and my diet sometimes isn't the greatest.   (I hadn't had a Big Mac in years; I'm usually a Quarter Pounder with Cheese girl.  It was damned delicious.)

I can't imagine eating like this all of the time, with every single meal.  I can't imagine what it must be like to know that I am killing myself in slow motion but I still continue to shovel the garbage in.

I can't imagine pissing and shitting on a pad and having my loved ones have to clean up after me.  I can't imagine any of it.

James K...there are so many people in this country who aren't getting the care that they need, for a variety of reasons.  I won't cry when he finally wears his organs out.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

He gained weight from fluid?  Did they throw his fried rice in a blender?

He's probably taken to lounging on a water bed.

3 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

Death is going to have to have its door widened considerably for him to get through. That's what the holdup is. I'll see myself out. 

Can't you just see him being carried on a gurney through the pearly gates, screaming, "Owwwww.  Mah leeeeeeggggggg!!!!"

(I guess I'll keep you company as you see yourself out.)

• Love 9
2 hours ago, AZChristian said:

(I guess I'll keep you company as you see yourself out.)

I am thinking 2 piano crates welded together?

What is worse is that I fell last week and busted up my knee and leg and caught myself saying Awww maaah leg.  I have damaged my brain with these shows.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, bethster2000 said:

We had McDonald's tonight for dinner.  Husband and I each got a Big Mac and we split a large fries.  I'm not perfect.  I could stand to lose a few and my diet sometimes isn't the greatest.   (I hadn't had a Big Mac in years; I'm usually a Quarter Pounder with Cheese girl.  It was damned delicious.)

I can't imagine eating like this all of the time, with every single meal.  I can't imagine what it must be like to know that I am killing myself in slow motion but I still continue to shovel the garbage in.

I can't imagine pissing and shitting on a pad and having my loved ones have to clean up after me.  I can't imagine any of it.

James K...there are so many people in this country who aren't getting the care that they need, for a variety of reasons.  I won't cry when he finally wears his organs out.

You had a normal amount of food, too - imagine if you had had three or five of everything. All the time. I myself had a Five Guys pigout yesterday - one burger and some fries, and that will be fine for awhile (I am not svelte either). It really is astonishing that some of these folks eat SO MUCH of everything, but especially salty fatty greasy. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

Death is going to have to have its door widened considerably for him to get through. That's what the holdup is. I'll see myself out. 

And I laughed at that, for which I may go to Hell.
There was a link in the story about him being "denied weight loss surgery," but it didn't work.
I hope it was blaming anyone by James for that.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I myself had a Five Guys pigout yesterday - one burger and some fries,

FIVE GUYS IS AMAZING.  Those fries are so good hot...but have you ever eaten those fries COLD?  I swear, they taste even better.

I'll see all of you in hell.  The thing about widening the door...LOL

• Love 4
59 minutes ago, bethster2000 said:

FIVE GUYS IS AMAZING.  Those fries are so good hot...but have you ever eaten those fries COLD?  I swear, they taste even better.

Cold, eh? **filing away for future treat ideas**

• Love 3
6 hours ago, bethster2000 said:

5 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

Cold, eh? **filing away for future treat ideas**

They are especially good the next day and an egg frittata - with tons of cheese.  Sometimes I will pretend I am healthy and add some veggies like chopped spinach, onions, and mushrooms.  YUM!

• Love 3
On 1/10/2018 at 10:11 AM, AZChristian said:

He gained weight from fluid?  Did they throw his fried rice in a blender?

Maybe it  was the mattress.  Certain ones affect things like this.  It might be making him appear larger.

• Love 4
49 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

I need to mattress shop soon.  I am concerned about finding one that doesn't make me look fat.  Is that an appropriate question to ask the salesperson? 

I would pay good money  to see the expression  on their face if you do.

• Love 6
On 1/11/2018 at 3:31 PM, PrincessPurrsALot said:

I need to mattress shop soon.  I am concerned about finding one that doesn't make me look fat.  Is that an appropriate question to ask the salesperson? 

You need to find out if that mattress comes with a holder for your frydaddy, so you can fix yourself some fried chicken samriches while you lie in bed.  Also, wheels are a no no, as they will slip and force you to hold up your own weight.  If they won’t snswer you, they are a bunch of bastards. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 14
21 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

You need to find out if that mattress comes with a holder for your frydaddy, so you can fix yourself some fried chicken samriches while you lie in bed.  Also, wheels are a no no, as they will slip and force you to hold up your own weight.  If they won’t snswer you, they are a bunch of bastards. 

I'll fry up the chicken after my wontons.  They are so much healthier when fried at home than if I got take out.  Let me adjust my pee pad and I'll be ready to go.  

• Love 7
Just now, PrincessPurrsALot said:

I'll fry up the chicken after my wontons.  They are so much healthier when fried at home tan if I got take out.  Let me adjust my pee pad and I'll be ready to go.  

And if you want rice with the wontons, make sure it's friiiiiiiiiiied.

• Love 8
On 12/24/2017 at 11:55 AM, pdlinda1 said:

I think the theory is that while they may have the momentum to lose 50 lbs for a short time,  after that point they will lose motivation and gain the weight, and more, right back.  Even WITH the surgery, if they eat small amounts of the wrong foods all day long, they will gain.  That's why he seems to be emphasizing going to THERAPY more.

The health challenges of these participants is so immense and costly it defies any reasonable person's estimation.  I presume (not that anyone should presume anything, but still...) that all (or MOST) of them are on disability.  When I hear about the astronomical stress on our entitlements I always think of the morbidly obese and how the rest of us are going to have to probably do with less coverage because the $$$ is simply not there to pay their bills.

My friend's Mom had the gastric bypass and managed to lose only 30 pounds before she started ramping back up.  She had learned from the Internet that small amounts of gravy all day long would get your body used to the fatty foods and stretch the stomach so that you could eat more.  It took her months, but she did it.

She's also dead, and died when my friend was 8 1/2 months pregnant with her first child.  As a condition of her bypass she had to go to therapy, but it didn't help.  She was to far gone, and had such bad medical problems she KNEW she needed to lose the weight in order to live, and only made it about a year after her surgery.  

This show and Intervention could swap people.  Both are about selfish addicts most of the time.

Edited by kj4ever
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, kj4ever said:

This show and Intervention could swap people.  Both are about selfish addicts most of the time.

It's as sad as it is fascinating.  My uncle had the surgery last year.  He's lost weight, and he's kept it off, but now he drinks alcohol pretty much all day, every day.  He's on a first-name basis with the people at his local BevMo.  He doesn't eat, but he drinks wine constantly.  He's swapped one problem for another.

• Love 1

This is a serious question.  How in the world do these people with gigantic legs, lay with their legs that look like they're doing the splits sideways?  For example, Marla (whose episode is re-running now on my cable) either has super flexible joints, or do their fat legs just do that because there's no room to do otherwise?

It just looks so impossible.

• Love 1