Type keyword(s) to search

The All You Can Eat Buffet: My 600 Pound Life All Episode Discussion

• Start Topic

People stay in relationships where there's verbal abuse, and verbal abuse is what some of these people use to keep the food coming.
And when some have had forbidden food tossed by a family member, or nutritionist, they'll just shrug and say they'll order more.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, auntjess said:

And when some have had forbidden food tossed by a family member, or nutritionist, they'll just shrug and say they'll order more.

Erica’s motto if I recall correctly.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

I imagine many of these people order a lot of food to be delivered too, and there's probably not much their family members can do about that.

True, but, I'm not so sure many of these delivery people would come into the house while the customer lies in the bed.  Plus, the bedridden person would have to leave their door unlocked for food delivery.  Unless, they get it passed through the window.  Recall, one person featured on 600 Pound Life did that.  lol  It would make it harder, though. And eventually, they'd run out of money.  That food is not cheap. At least they would get a taste of doing things for themselves.  It seems that the vast majority of the super morbidly obese are like a king or queen in their home. They rule without question and those under their rule, just obey without question.  No one wants to upset the obese person.  It's really sad.  Empowering the obese person really accomplishes nothing, but, helping the person to a faster death. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3

Ugghhh! Usually this show returns in January so I went looking for a preview since I don't watch TLC a lot and discovered that in late November they just put out the casting call for S7. I assume the show won't be back for another year then? 

How am I going to fill up my Wednesday nights?! 

1 hour ago, Giant Misfit said:

How am I going to fill up my Wednesday nights?! 

I'd like a season of updates.  I wonder if the hurricane delayed doing anything earlier.  There might have been too much damage and clean-up going on, to try and relocate people there.
During the storm news, I wondered how in the world you could evacuate a really large and immobile person.

• Love 2

One reason I watch this show: I secretly would like to eat and eat and eat just like these people. My weight has been perfect for thirty years though exercise, eating less (and less, and less), and daily monitoring. When I watch these people shovel every kind of unhealthy food into their maws, I think, "Yeah, I could do that."

• Love 4

I'm just watching episodes of this show now - I think they're re-runs.  It always amuses me that every obese person featured refers to following a healthy diet as "work".  They all whine the same thing to the doctor when their weight hasn't dropped,  "But I've been working so hard".  

Working?  They wouldn't know hard work if it hit them in the head.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Pondlass1 said:

I'm just watching episodes of this show now - I think they're re-runs. 

Welcome. This board is the best part of the show.  Live snarking during the original airing.
I'm rewatching some of them, and have Nicole (I THINK this is hosing down on porch Nicole), on my DVR.
A good point about "work." And it never occurs to them that they could cut down withour surgery, or that dropping 50 lbs would make the trip to Houston easier.
I'm really hoping this show is renewed.  Anyone know yet?

• Love 3
On 12/13/2017 at 6:27 AM, ChickenLatte99 said:

This upcoming season looks like a doozy.

Thank you for making my day! I thought for sure it wasn't coming back for another year.

17! new stories. Yay.  As a diabetic who can no longer eat vast amounts of processed carbs, I have to admit I was a bit jealous of the big container of spaghetti.  In my youth, it would have been pretty easy to knock that back, but I think the difference between me and a 600 pounder is that I would have been full and they probably have other food with that. 

eta - they let you roll up to the take out window in a scooter?

Edited by aliya
  • Love 3
27 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

I wonder if that was just for the show - I thought all drive thru windows were for cars only.

Maybe she can't fit through the regular door, and because of ADA they have to let her go through the drive-thru?  We saw someone on an earlier episode that couldn't get through the door to the grocery store on her scooter, so she had to get off and "walk" through sideways.

Looks like Dr. Now goes off on someone in his office, "That behavior is totally unacceptable."  Guy must threatened to sit on him.  And his entire staff.  At one time.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Looks like Dr. Now goes off on someone in his office, "That behavior is totally unacceptable."  Guy must threatened to sit on him.  And his entire staff.  At one time.

Dr. Now is used to dealing with tantrum prone addicts. I think it must be exhausting but hopefully the real bad behavior is the minority with his patients.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Guy must threatened to sit on him.  And his entire staff.  At one time.

This made me smile. My mother was a very large woman when she was younger. She taught K-3 and told us she would get the kids to behave by threatening to take them to the cloakroom and sit on them. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, aliya said:

My mother was a very large woman when she was younger. She taught K-3 and told us she would get the kids to behave by threatening to take them to the cloakroom and sit on them. 

Nowadays, parents would  take it as a literal threat, and complain.

• Love 9
On 12/14/2017 at 7:53 AM, gonecrackers said:

I wonder if that was just for the show - I thought all drive thru windows were for cars only.

I’ve been through a bank drive through on a bicycle (the result of being a teenager with a job but no car in a small town before direct deposit was a thing) and walked up to quite a few drive-through-only espresso stands and at least one fast food place (of the “drive through only after midnight” variety). The worst I got were a few odd looks. I think unless you’re causing problems, most places will just shrug and deal with it. 

Edited by jennblevins
Clarification
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, jennblevins said:

I’ve been through a bank drive through on a bicycle (the result of being a teenager with a job but no car in a small town before direct deposit was a thing) and walked up to quite a few drive-through-only espresso stands and at least one fast food place (of the “drive through only after midnight” variety). The worst I got were a few odd looks. I think unless you’re causing problems, most places will just shrug and deal with it. 

Actually, it’s now deemed a security risk. They won’t serve you.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, thebigboot said:

I can understand it being a safety risk, but how is someone on a handicapped scooter a security risk?

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, auntjess said:

Maybe because you could get closer than someone in a vehicle, and grab someone inside?

I dunno. They'd have to be able to stand, reach over into the small opening, and accost the worker without losing their balance and without the worker backing off when they saw you stand up and go nuts. 

15 hours ago, thebigboot said:

Well, nobody’s told that to the drive-through-only coffee stands in my town yet. (I’ll admit that the bank/fast food events were a while ago and things could certainly have changed since then for larger chain-type businesses.)  

3 hours ago, aliya said:

I dunno. They'd have to be able to stand, reach over into the small opening, and accost the worker without losing their balance and without the worker backing off when they saw you stand up and go nuts. 

Not to mention, plenty of places have walk-up windows, anyway, which would theoretically have the same issues. Maybe they mean the security/safety of the person doing the scooting/riding/walking — not wanting them to get run over by a driver only expecting other cars in the lane? (And then potentially suing?)

• Love 3
6 hours ago, jennblevins said:

Maybe they mean the security/safety of the person doing the scooting/riding/walking — not wanting them to get run over by a driver only expecting other cars in the lane? (And then potentially suing?)

Now that makes sense to this lapsed lawyer.

On 12/15/2017 at 0:01 AM, auntjess said:

Nowadays, parents would  take it as a literal threat, and complain.

During this same time, I attended Catholic school (as did the kids of many public school teachers, so that says something). Anyway, sisters used to routinely spank kids, throw erasers across the classroom to hit kids, etc. I had a piano teacher who hit my hands with a conductor's baton every time I played a wrong note.  I'm sure this stuff doesn't go on now, but it was typical back then. Apparently this kind of behavior by nuns was universal, as I've heard similar stories from people who went to Catholic schools all around the country. I've heard comedians make jokes about it - which they wouldn't do if the situations didn't resonate with people in the audience. And, as many will tell you, God help you if you complained about it at home, because your parents would think you must have done something for sister to hit you, and you were likely to get spanked again by your parents.

• Love 1

HI EVERYONE!  I'm back!  I missed you all so much.

I am super excited about the new season and have already made friends with a Season 6 participant, who seems like he's really taking advantage of this opportunity and is doing great! (I also reached out to Penny way back when, but this season 6 guy seems like he's not mentally ill like Penny - she was actually very polite and nice, but obviously delusional).

I also hear they are doing an update on Steven Assani (sp?).  Rumor has it that his brother has reached out for help from Dr. Now.  I HOPE SO!  I don't know if anyone follows Assani on facebook, but he's a real shit show/train wreck.  How he hasn't violated his contract with TLC is beyond me.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, whydoiwatch said:

Unable to play video about upcoming season on my computer (not sure why). Is there a start date for the new season mentioned? Thanks.

Someone on the Assanti thread said that the episode airs Jan 1.  I'm going to try to watch it tonight online (it's just the first hour).

I don’t understand why they need the surgery.  If you can lose 50 pounds in one month on your own, why risk surgery?  Just keep doing what you do.

The health care costs of the morbidly obese are way higher on average.  I can’t imagine the costs of people this large .  Every last one of them will need multiple joint replacements, and that’s not a one time thing.  Unless they’re older and very inactive, there will be at least one revision of those multiple joints. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

I don’t understand why they need the surgery.  If you can lose 50 pounds in one month on your own, why risk surgery?  Just keep doing what you do.

That's why I liked Tracey, although she was different because the lipidema(?) was the cause of her enormous legs, and treatment and skin removal surgery took care of her problem.
And if you're too fat to fit in car, or van, then just diet until you lose enough to make the trip a little more easily.

• Love 1

I guess the new bariatric surgeries are better than the old bypass which is hell on nutrient absorption and can fuck with your immune system, but if you can lose 100 lbs like Diana did in 2 months, it seems like a big risk you may not need to take 

Maybe getting the surgery is the motivator for the fast short term weight loss, and they only have so much willpower.

binge eating is hard to control.  The bitch is that I could easily put down what some of them eat in a day easily.   These people simply have to be more prone to super obesity.  As much as I can eat, I never got over 135.  Man I feel for these people.  It just sucks.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Mu Shu said:

I guess the new bariatric surgeries are better than the old bypass which is hell on nutrient absorption and can fuck with your immune system, but if you can lose 100 lbs like Diana did in 2 months, it seems like a big risk you may not need to take 

Maybe getting the surgery is the motivator for the fast short term weight loss, and they only have so much willpower.

binge eating is hard to control.  The bitch is that I could easily put down what some of them eat in a day easily.   These people simply have to be more prone to super obesity.  As much as I can eat, I never got over 135.  Man I feel for these people.  It just sucks.

Yes, you are correct.  They have to do the surgery on these people because they will never stay compliant long enough (years!) to get down to a normal weight.  Gary Taubes, the journalist who advocates for a low carb diet, described being morbidly obese perfectly.  He describes excess fat as being like a tumor, it does whatever it has to do to grow itself.  It's hard to really understand this unless you've been there.

Also, as far as modern bariatric surgeries go, the trend is towards giving everyone the vertical sleeve gastrectomy because there is no malabsorption and if the patient still doesn't lose enough weight, it's very easy to convert to the bypass--and it's safer and if you follow directions (and your name isn't Penny), you lose just as much weight.  I believe this is why Dr. Now is doing this to most of the people on the show.

• Love 3

I cannot believe this is FINALLY coming back! A Christmas miracle. I wonder if the show's formula will be changed up at all, or if we'll continue watching as one (even though we are apart), reciting along with the traditional sayings of Dr. Now, and creating drinking games based on the likes of "Aw mah laig!!" 

PS: I just watched the trailer without sound and made up my own dialogue. Maybe I'll do that all season. 

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 5
On 12/21/2017 at 1:50 PM, Mu Shu said:

The health care costs of the morbidly obese are way higher on average.  I can’t imagine the costs of people this large .  Every last one of them will need multiple joint replacements, and that’s not a one time thing.  Unless they’re older and very inactive, there will be at least one revision of those multiple joints. 

I think the theory is that while they may have the momentum to lose 50 lbs for a short time,  after that point they will lose motivation and gain the weight, and more, right back.  Even WITH the surgery, if they eat small amounts of the wrong foods all day long, they will gain.  That's why he seems to be emphasizing going to THERAPY more.

The health challenges of these participants is so immense and costly it defies any reasonable person's estimation.  I presume (not that anyone should presume anything, but still...) that all (or MOST) of them are on disability.  When I hear about the astronomical stress on our entitlements I always think of the morbidly obese and how the rest of us are going to have to probably do with less coverage because the $$$ is simply not there to pay their bills.

• Love 2
On 12/24/2017 at 0:55 PM, pdlinda1 said:

I think the theory is that while they may have the momentum to lose 50 lbs for a short time,  after that point they will lose motivation and gain the weight, and more, right back.  Even WITH the surgery, if they eat small amounts of the wrong foods all day long, they will gain.  That's why he seems to be emphasizing going to THERAPY more.

The health challenges of these participants is so immense and costly it defies any reasonable person's estimation.  I presume (not that anyone should presume anything, but still...) that all (or MOST) of them are on disability.  When I hear about the astronomical stress on our entitlements I always think of the morbidly obese and how the rest of us are going to have to probably do with less coverage because the $$$ is simply not there to pay their bills.

I can tell you we do not, and we are already dealing with the issue of losing benefits by way of astronomical cost sharing.

Maybe we will be able to qualify for skinny benefits or something.  Probably not.

• Love 1
On 5/31/2017 at 3:35 PM, RedFox said:

Why don't doctor Now send all his patients to family psychoterapy? Usually if mom has weight problems, kids and relateves will have it too. May be psyhoterapist give advice about relax technics, how to feel comfortable without extra food. I don't understand dr.Now diet advices - he says, they should eat two-three times a day, and when l was looking for information, l see advices to eat less portions but more frequently. 

I think he's trying to get them away from the eat all day habits. Most of them admit that they never really get full so they pretty much eat all day long into the night. This is a way to make them more accountable for portion size and just the sheer amount of food that they eat. After surgery, he has said many times, they won't be able to eat much at each meal but if they eat frequently they can still gain weight, the surgery won't help that. 

• Love 1

Oh brother, watching a rerun on Sean right now.  I forgot a lot and since the episode aired his mother died.  His mother was so delusional yet I can't imagine how Sean is coping without her, as destructive as she was.  She was like Billy's mother.  

Sean has such a flat affect, unless there's pain.  Autism spectrum?  I feel for him.  Truly.  Like Billy probably never stood a chance.  

• Love 4
On 1/30/2015 at 4:57 PM, AltLivia said:

I think of this when I see participants like Penny. Like, yes, you're Queen for Every Day,  but you could die at any moment. Which means no more giant bowls of cereal, no more time with your kids, no more anything. Your reign is over. Your life is over.

I also don't know how some of the participants carry a pregnancy to term when they are already so big. Wouldn't the doctor put them on some low-calorie regimen for the unborn baby's sake? And how is it that none of them think "hey, if I couldn't eat this stuff when I was pregnant, maybe I shouldn't eat it at all?"

Several years ago, lap band was the rage (I knew someone who had it). Does anyone know if that's an ineffective method of weight loss? I think Olivia had the lap band surgery via a sketchy doc before she considered gastric bypass.

I often wonder how their very obese husbands (or the very obese wives) could even GET pregnant? How do they do that?

As for the lapband, I had one for 3 years, stayed sick all of the time, saw very little weight loss and found ways to cheat with it very easily. I had mine removed after 3 years because I was in constant pain with it. 

• Love 2

I haven't watched all the episodes - but the biggest mystery  for me is the enablers. 

The obese person cannot get out of bed, so you bring him/her a salad and go to the movies while they yell and scream for hamburgers (also confiscate their cell so they can't order in).  

I think it was the Ow My Layygs episode where the wife (or whatever) brings him a giant plate of fat and salt, then asks if he wants a second helping, then plops down half a cake on his chest for dessert.  And he's supposed to be on a 1200 calorie a day diet!!!!!

This is not love.

• Love 4