Type keyword(s) to search

The All You Can Eat Buffet: My 600 Pound Life All Episode Discussion

• Start Topic

When I defended Melissa it wasn't because I thought she could be motivational (she can't, in her current state.  So. Much. Crying.).  It was because I didn't expect her to be spinning all her plates and dealing with all her myriad issues AND have perfect lipstick and no dishes in the sink. 

• Love 3
(edited)
18 hours ago, aliya said:

When I said something similar when the show aired, everyone wanted to tell me how Melissa could still be motivational. No. I'm a plump person trying to be less plump. I follow YT folks who have lost weight or are living well at their current weight and who are motivational.  That is not Melissa.

Heh heh and let's not forget the famous/infamous skirt that she wore at her highest weight, the one she loves to parade around when she's giving one of her motivational presentations. For those not in the know, she loves to whip out that skirt, hold it open  and stand inside of it as proof of her success in an "I did it and so can you" inspirational moment. Every time I saw that after it was apparent that she was totally going in the wrong direction, meaning continuing to gain weight, all I could think of was how long would it be before she could fit back into that skirt. Here's a photo of when she was at her lowest weight that depicts what I'm talking about:

4efc4d64b17d86e5eece178cede476ab.jpg.c55ef5425e2d650c73759c40827fb9e3.jpg

Edited by DC Gal in VA
To add an image.
  • Love 4
(edited)
27 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Heh heh and let's not forget the famous/infamous skirt that she wore at her highest weight, the one she loves to parade around when she's giving one of her motivational presentations. For those not in the know, she loves to whip out that skirt, hold it open  and stand inside of it as proof of her success in an "I did it and so can you" inspirational moment. Every time I saw that after it was apparent that she was totally going in the wrong direction, meaning continuing to gain weight, all I could think of was how long would it be before she could fit back into that skirt.

Yes!!  When she was near to her goal it was an impressive visual.  However for anyone who saw that and watched her pull it out on later occasions it was just really sad.  Weight loss isn't easy, maintenance is (I think) even harder, but someone who is ONLY going in the wrong direction doesn't have the capacity to be motivational or inspirational.  I was shocked at the "I won't let myself get to 400" comment. That's a great commitment if you weigh 390, not so much if you're still much less than that.

Edited by ThereButFor
  • Love 7
(edited)
56 minutes ago, ThereButFor said:

Yes!!  When she was near to her goal it was an impressive visual.  However for anyone who saw that and watched her pull it out on later occasions it was just really sad.  Weight loss isn't easy, maintenance is (I think) even harder, but someone who is ONLY going in the wrong direction doesn't have the capacity to be motivational or inspirational.  I was shocked at the "I won't let myself get to 400" comment. That's a great commitment if you weigh 390, not so much if you're still much less than that.

Amen!

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Emphasis.
  • Love 2

Personally, I don't find anyone who had WLS as "inspirational" (I probably would not even consider weight loss by any means inspirational, although I am happy for the very obese people who greatly improve their quality of life.)  But, losing weight without having to feel hunger after having some of your stomach taken out or your innards re-routed?  No, I'm not impressed. 

I've known a few people that had WLS and most of them regained some of their weight.  A few regained all; one or two became outright thin (and became insufferable human beings in the process, YMMV).  I'm not surprised Melissa gained some back; I'm not surprised when any of the people on the show have some rebound weight. 

That said, Melissa would certainly be considered a success by the terms of the National Weight Loss Registry, which, according to their landing page, considers a 30 lb weight loss maintained for a year as a success.  And based on being disabled by her weight some 14 (? -- I base this on the release date and the first participants being followed for 7 years) years ago to living a normal life (albeit with self-loathing, since she's not as thin as she once was)...well, I do find that something worth celebrating.  A 600 lb life and a plus-size (mid to high 200s?) life are two different lives. 

• Love 2

For some reason I look for Kassandra the nurse during every episode.   Look at this review I found of the show on FB.  This is a FB page for casting calls for M600PL for the new season.  P.S.  I did not leave this review.   I notice in the Jeanne episode K's face was not facing the camera.

"I love this show!! ❤❤
I watched every episode the only thing i don't like is how rude that assistant Cassandra is. She always looks mad and irritated and is not very nice to his patients. She needs an attitude adjustment other then that great show."

30 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

For some reason I look for Kassandra the nurse during every episode.   Look at this review I found of the show on FB.  This is a FB page for casting calls for M600PL for the new season.  P.S.  I did not leave this review.   I notice in the Jeanne episode K's face was not facing the camera.

"I love this show!! ❤❤
I watched every episode the only thing i don't like is how rude that assistant Cassandra is. She always looks mad and irritated and is not very nice to his patients. She needs an attitude adjustment other then that great show."

Cassandra's face is what I'm feeling watching these people in physical form. The side eyes that say "here we go again", the blank stare she gives when they have yet another reason why they didn't make goal? Her face is my spirit animal.

Edited by Brooklynista
  • LOL 4
  • Love 10

I don't know why some people expect Kassandra to be performing for the camera (I do not mean people on this board, but some of the social media people), it's her job, she's competent or Dr. Now would have replaced her long ago.   When she went in to take Brandon's blood samples, I think a low key approach works best with the patients.     Anticipation is not a fun thing when you're waiting for tests, so low key, get down to business, and get it over with probably works better.   

I have seen her look happy too, when some patients lose a lot of weight.     I'm sure she's not supposed to react to the ones who gain amazingly high amounts instead of lose also.   

I think a reason we see some new faces on staff is because some poundticipants are visibly coming into the office for appointments with the waiting room empty, and definitely leaving after dark.     So I bet a great majority of the staff are there during the day, and the part-timers are there at night when they're filming.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

You know, looking at the payment (linked above) that the poundticipants receive for their year-long association, the free weight-loss surgery is their main compensation. So I can understand why some of them would become angry when they don't receive it. It may be that when they are signing their contracts, they are not told that they will not receive the surgery unless they first lose xx pounds, according to doctor's instructions, via traditional methods. This may be what was meant when some of the patients have said that no one told them they would have to lose weight -- meaning before they would receive their surgery. If it's not spelled out in their contracts, then they may think it won't apply to them. Hmmmm.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
48 minutes ago, ProTourist said:

You know, looking at the payment (linked above) that the poundticipants receive for their year-long association, the free weight-loss surgery is their main compensation. So I can understand why some of them would become angry when they don't receive it. It may be that when they are signing their contracts, they are not told that they will not receive the surgery unless they first lose xx pounds, according to doctor's instructions, via traditional methods. This may be what was meant when some of the patients have said that no one told them they would have to lose weight -- meaning before they would receive their surgery. If it's not spelled out in their contracts, then they may think it won't apply to them. Hmmmm.

I’m bothered by this simply because it makes so sense.

• Useful 1

Interesting article.
I wonder if housing is fairly recent, maybe after the Nicole's was raided.
Many of them mention not being able to afford a place, or affording longer stay.

I would have thought that any surgery Dr Now did, including skin, would have been covered.  I also figured he paid for Barbara's (Jeanne's mom) surgery.

51 minutes ago, ProTourist said:

If I understand this correctly, this would mean that a majority of the poundticipants (or maybe all of them?) have never watched an episode of My 600 Lb Life. At first, that seemed unlikely to me, because they contact the show; the show does not go scouting for obese people. But then I thought....what is the likelihood that they seriously tune into a show with that title? I wonder how many of them were referred by a third party - friend, relative, etc. - who mentioned this doctor/show to them but the actual patient never bothered to watch any episodes of the show, therefore they did not understand the work that was required by the doctor pre-surgery.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
29 minutes ago, auntjess said:

Interesting article.
I wonder if housing is fairly recent, maybe after the Nicole's was raided.
Many of them mention not being able to afford a place, or affording longer stay.

I would have thought that any surgery Dr Now did, including skin, would have been covered.  I also figured he paid for Barbara's (Jeanne's mom) surgery.

Yes, it may be more recent. And I don't know if they all receive the included housing -- maybe only those who wait until after they have been approved for surgery. Those who move down sooner may have to find, and pay for, their own apartment.

Usually skin removal surgery does not occur during the first year. If a patient is invited to do a second-year follow-up episode, then the skin surgery would be included if they are ready by then. But I think if a patient needed some other type of surgery during the first year, such as an emergency procedure, that Dr. Now would take care of it, if it were something he could do himself.

As far as Barbara's surgery goes, unless she had Medicaid or something else that would cover it, I figure Dr. Now would have done it pro bono. The medical transport to take them home after Larry died may have been provided pro bono as well, or covered by a local social service. And someone who works for the hospital or for the production company may have volunteered to drive Barbara's car home for her.

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, Hannah94 said:

If I understand this correctly, this would mean that a majority of the poundticipants (or maybe all of them?) have never watched an episode of My 600 Lb Life. At first, that seemed unlikely to me, because they contact the show; the show does not go scouting for obese people.

It's hard to believe, though.  But they do all say mom or a friend "has heard of a doctor in Houston, who does surgery on people like me."

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, Hannah94 said:

If I understand this correctly, this would mean that a majority of the poundticipants (or maybe all of them?) have never watched an episode of My 600 Lb Life. At first, that seemed unlikely to me, because they contact the show; the show does not go scouting for obese people. But then I thought....what is the likelihood that they seriously tune into a show with that title? I wonder how many of them were referred by a third party - friend, relative, etc. - who mentioned this doctor/show to them but the actual patient never bothered to watch any episodes of the show, therefore they did not understand the work that was required by the doctor pre-surgery.

I think some of them, at least, may have never watched the program. Jeanne's home appeared to have no television, and she probably could not afford the data usage or rental fee to watch it on her phone, such as purchasing episodes from Amazon. M600PL has a Facebook page used for casting. Anyone with a smartphone and a Facebook account could contact the production company via that page.

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 1:52 PM, thebigboot said:

I’m sorry if this has been posted before, but I just saw it and thought others might appreciate.

600 lb life pay structure

$1500 compensation?  Seriously?  I guess they do not do much actual filming, maybe one day a month except when around surgery time?   I guess if we add in the cost of participating in the weight loss program and surgery, it becomes a handsome sum, but I am still surprised by the low cash value.  Especially given the poundticipants' liberal spending on food!

The biggest attraction to applying for the show is that you skip the waiting list for Dr. Now's services.   

That's another reason why many of the follow up appointments are late in the day, and the ones with an empty waiting room, or when they leave it's after dark.   They apparently have the show patients after hours, for filming.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1

I admit I haven't been watching a lot this season, but the few episodes I've caught seem to be Rousing Success Stories or Dismal Failures. One episode I caught was with a guy who was very pleasant and committed, did everything Dr. Now told him and lost a great deal of weight. Actually, his story was almost boring, it was so drama free. Recently I've watched drama filled segments of Jeanne and Maya, and both of them dropped out of the program and never qualified for WLS. Another thing, does anyone else think many of these Supersized comments are stupid like "Maya's favorite color is blue..."? It's like they can't think of anything interesting to say about them. 

• Love 3
On 3/17/2019 at 9:24 PM, auntjess said:

It's hard to believe, though.  But they do all say mom or a friend "has heard of a doctor in Houston, who does surgery on people like me."

I wonder if someone told Chris-shun about the show, and he thought by sending Maya alone to Houston he would be rid of her.

I just looked at the website for Dr. Now.   I hope he didn't write it, but it reads like it was written by a person whose first language is not English.  It needs editing.

• Love 1

I have a question about the "where are they now" episode that was broadcast after last night's Kelly's Story. Was it a repeat of the Milla-and-Charity follow-up episode from 2017, or a new one? It's odd because:

• People were posting into the episode thread from 2017, but including details that sounded new.
  • Usually the 'where are they now' episodes present people who have not previously been paired, not ones who have already been presented together on one episode.
  • I cannot find any trace of a 2019 episode for Milla and Charity at any of the online sites I use for this program, including Amazon.

Thanks in advance for any clarification.

Edited by ProTourist
correct typo
10 minutes ago, ProTourist said:

I have a question about the "where are they now" episode that was broadcast after last night's Kelly's Story. Was it a repeat of the Milla-and-Charity follow-up episode from 2017, or a new one? It's odd because:

It was new.  I expected it to be the old one, but it wasn't.  I think everyone was confused

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, ProTourist said:

• People were posting into the episode thread from 2017, but including details that sounded new.
  • Usually the 'where are they now' episodes present people who have not previously been paired, not ones who have already been presented together on one episode.
  • I cannot find any trace of a 2019 episode for Milla and Charity at any of the online sites I use for this program, including Amazon.

Thanks in advance for any clarification.

It was a new episode.  They had been paired previously in a follow up.  I don't know if anyone was expecting that episode.

As is unfortunately often the case with TLC shows, their information was inaccurate for the Milla and Charity follow up episode.  Some sources showed it as new; most showed it as a repeat of their original follow up episode.  Even the TLC website was inaccurate.  TLC is known for rebranding former episodes on shows and calling them new.  

So this does appear to have been a new episode. There was new information and it went further down the timeline.  Sorry for all of the confusion.  I don't show it as repeating within the next two weeks.  If it is repeated, we'll annotate the thread as needed. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I watched most of it, so thanks for linking it.      I really hoped for a better update, but maybe someone like Mila can actually be more mobile as time goes on, and I doubt we'll ever know how Charly and Charity are after this.         

I wish there would be a one screen update to shows that are older, but I guess I'll only see updates when there's an actual update episode.  

This Friday from 7 to 11 p.m. (central) they're having the One Ton Family with the Perrios, but I think it's just last season's episodes in 2 hours each of part 1 and 2.     That's the family with the two women, and the man, I don't remember if they're siblings or cousins, or if the two women are sisters.        I really enjoyed the different stories, and that's the family that had Dr. Now bringing in another surgeon he's mentoring to help with the family's treatment.     I'm hoping there is a great update, since at least two of the family really tried to help themselves.      

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 4/4/2016 at 1:13 PM, ChristmasJones said:

Not to go too far off topic from this episode, but just wanted to reply to this comment:

I posted a link a while back about some research that indicates that changes in agricultural policies in the 1970's led to an increase in food production and a subsequent decrease in food costs.

"...the increase in per capita food supply is more than sufficient to explain the obesity epidemic. In fact, per capita food waste has been progressively increasing simultaneously with obesity. These calculations have led to the push hypothesis for the obesity epidemic: dramatic increases in production, availability, and marketing of cheap, readily available food over the past few decades has led to increased food consumption and obesity along with increased food waste." source: https://aaas.confex.com/aaas/2012/webprogram/Session4438.html

"An important factor fueling the obesity epidemic has been identified by a new review: Americans now have the cheapest food available in history. Today, two in three Americans are overweight or obese, with rates climbing steadily over the past several decades. Many factors have been suggested as causes: snack food, automobiles, television, fast food, computer use, vending machines, suburban housing developments, and portion size. But after examining available evidence, the authors say widespread availability of inexpensive food appears to have the strongest link to obesity."

source: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/05/140522074749.htm

One more: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/15/science/a-mathematical-challenge-to-obesity.html?_r=1

My theory about why the media doesn't cover this topic is that its not as emotionally satisfying to viewers to hear that the obesity epidemic is due to increased availability of cheap food. Its more satisfying to blame the individuals for not exercising, eating too much junk food, and being lazy. 

I personally found the research on the increase in food production fascinating because I always wondered how the habits of millions of people across the US changed at the same time.

If we assume, just for the sake of argument, that these researchers are correct about the increased availability of cheap food, you then get into the realm of how genetics interacts with the environment. People that had genetic predispositions to obesity who lived in the 1950's and 60's, when food was more expensive and not as widely available might have ended up not becoming very obese. But if people with those genetic tendencies grow up in the 1980's and 90's where food is cheaper and more available, then they could end up becoming obese.

There is so much fascinating research being done on obesity these days.

I hope this doesn't get taken down because I'm not intending to be partisan, but I truly believe the obesity epidemic wouldn't have gotten this out of hand if it wasn't for food subsidies. If you look at what the poundticipants are eating or the menu of any typical fast food restaurant, and then look up a list of the most heavily subsidized foods, you can see the similarities. At the time when food subsidies were enacted, food insecurity was a common thing. I don't think they realized what the consequences might be in the future.

I've been trying to cut down on refined sugar and white flour and I have to pay so much more for foods without those things. The $2 pasta sauce has tons of added sugar and the one with no added sugar is $4 or $5. The only breads with no added sugar are $5 or $6 per loaf. It's very difficult to find healthy options when eating out and if you do, they're probably a higher price point. Farro is like $3 for a small bag even though it's just wheat, one of the cheapest foods out there. Why is whole-wheat pasta twice the cost of white pasta when they both come from the same source?

I don't know if I exactly want to put on the tinfoil hat, but I do sometimes wonder if the increased food and healthcare costs of obesity cause an active effort by companies to keep people obese. If everyone started eating clean and only eating the recommended calories per day, it would probably cause a huge recession at this point.

It also can be an addiction on top of that, of course. Just like how some people don't drink (clean eaters), some people social drink or unwind with a drink at the end of the day (people who eat ok but have unhealthy food sometimes), some people drink more than they should (overweight), some are functional alcoholics (obese), and some are completely crippled by alcoholism (super-morbidly obese).

Edited by BuyMoreAndSave
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

I was once over 600 lbs. Cheap food wasn’t the reason. If the price of street drugs goes up, addicts don’t use less or go into rehab. They find some way to afford them even if that means stealing. I made a good income, but would have embezzled if necessary to feed my addiction. 

• Useful 9
  • Love 9
8 hours ago, CatherineM said:

I was once over 600 lbs. Cheap food wasn’t the reason. If the price of street drugs goes up, addicts don’t use less or go into rehab. They find some way to afford them even if that means stealing. I made a good income, but would have embezzled if necessary to feed my addiction. 

True- but 100-200yrs ago, you would’nt have been able to get to 600lbs logistically. The calories just weren’t there for easy consumption for a “typical person”. In 1819 or 1919 the current day 600lbs people were probably closer 300lbs (or so) and they were the people who had the resources (aka money) to spend on the extra food and lifestyles that allowed them to be sedentary. (So a smaller percentage of the general population across the board). 

Most of the people in 2019 that are 300lbs may have only ended up 50or so pounds overweight and been the “plump” people of the community- more so if they were rich. Yes most people were thin but there have always been a few heavier people in any population, the human bell curve being what it is.

When an ENTIRE population shifts it’s not just about individual choices any more. Of course each individual is still capable of making a choice, but when the entire bell curve shifts regarding who’s obese and who’s not it’s not only about individual choices or an individual’s personal addiction.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

People are making good points in this discussion on what changes to society have permitted a "six hundred pound lifestyle" to develop. I think one big element has been the shift from high protein to high carbohydrate diets that began in the 1970s and '80s, in the push to lower cholesterol. People were encouraged to stop eating red meat and eggs, and so started making main courses of pasta dishes and rice dishes, which previously had been taken primarily as small side-dishes. Also the push to reduce fat in other types of foods, such as baked goods, dressings, and sauces, added sugar to replace the taste from the lost fats. Many people noticed that they were starting to gain a lot of weight as a result of this shift from protein+fat to carbohydrates, even though their blood lipids were going down, and some would counteract it by exercising more, or by going back to meat (leaner choices) and fish if they could afford it.

Also with the evolution of the personal computer, the internet, and then mobile devices, we've become even more sedentary. Many of us don't even go shopping or go out to the movies any more -- we order online for home delivery, and have home entertainment systems or simply watch online too. It's cheaper and more convenient, but makes us less physically active.

But what is causing the addictions that lead a person up to 600 pounds rather than 200 or 300 pounds? [I don't think we had this level of food addiction 50+ years ago.] Trauma, and particularly sexual forms of abuse, beginning earlier in life. Food may be readily at hand for a child, but not so much so for drugs or alcohol. And why would there be an increase, if there is one, in sexual forms of abuse these past few decades? It might be due to another broad societal change, in the cultural emphasis placed on sexual feelings and their expression, and their importance in ones life. For better and for worse.

So here we are, set up by our culture to fail. Our minds are bombarded with sexual images in movies, television, music videos and song lyrics, pornographic photos and films quietly available online, news stories of pedophilia in what should be trusted relationships. So much so that what used to be more personal becomes so common that it falls to ground-level and mixes in with the dust. And with this supercharged-dust, different people do different things, some of us diverging far from the good path. The young victims turn to their kitchens for relief, finding mostly high-carb foods. And the foundation for their addiction is set.

It's a grim picture. Not that we as a society could not recover from it, but not easily. When you've fallen so far, it can take a herculean effort to pull yourself back up.

My two cents.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, ProTourist said:

Food may be readily at hand for a child, but not so much so for drugs or alcohol. 

Yup. Food is EVERYWHERE. High calorie high sugar processed food that can put on fat quickly is everywhere. 

I disagree with you that our current sexualized culture leads to more abuse of children. I think our culture as a whole is better at protecting children than before. Although sex used to be “hush hush”, the women and children of the man’s family were HIS property to do with what he wished. A girl’s “purity” was of concern not her bodily autonomy. Not that community or family members wouldn’t try to step in if a child was being hurt but at least now we have the sex abuse of minors as an actual crime (we don’t let a rapist marry their 11yrs old victim just because she became pregnant in most states). 

When you put together a genetic predisposition to addiction, untreated childhood trauma, poverty in a bottle and shake it up you’re likely to find an addict. I think with food addiction it’s just a slower fall to the bottom. 

• Love 6
(edited)
11 hours ago, CatherineM said:

Expensive cocaine wasn't an epidemic, cheap crack was. If people were predestined to be food addicts there would have been obese people stealing and embezzling to get more food even in societies without a massive food surplus.

Edited by BuyMoreAndSave
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, ProTourist said:

People are making good points in this discussion on what changes to society have permitted a "six hundred pound lifestyle" to develop. I think one big element has been the shift from high protein to high carbohydrate diets that began in the 1970s and '80s, in the push to lower cholesterol. People were encouraged to stop eating red meat and eggs, and so started making main courses of pasta dishes and rice dishes, which previously had been taken primarily as small side-dishes. Also the push to reduce fat in other types of foods, such as baked goods, dressings, and sauces, added sugar to replace the taste from the lost fats. Many people noticed that they were starting to gain a lot of weight as a result of this shift from protein+fat to carbohydrates, even though their blood lipids were going down, and some would counteract it by exercising more, or by going back to meat (leaner choices) and fish if they could afford it.

There is no evidence that the majority of the population is following any sort of high-carb, low-fat diet. The poundticipants and people on other shows like Secret Eaters always seem to be eating piles and piles of meat, eggs, dairy, and oils (just try finding anything vegetarian or vegan on most fast-food menus). I have never once seen anyone on My 600-Lb Life binging on lentils, nuts, whole grains, etc. Most Americans get way more protein than they need and eat way more animal products than recommended. Also wheat and rice were always staple foods and traditionally staple grains and legumes made up the majority of traditional diets. The people in Blue Zones, who have the highest life expectancies, eat far fewer animal products than most Americans. The problem is the amount of food and the fact that processed foods have been calibrated by researchers for maximum addictive flavor, not any particular macronutrient.

I also wonder if poor nutrition has anything to do with it. If people are eating foods with little nutrition and possibly have some deficiencies, is it possible that their body continues to give hunger signals because it is hungry for a particular nutrient, even after caloric intake is sufficient?

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, BuyMoreAndSave said:

The poundticipants and people on other shows like Secret Eaters always seem to be eating piles and piles of meat, eggs, dairy, and oils (just try finding anything vegetarian or vegan on most fast-food menus). I have never once seen anyone on My 600-Lb Life binging on lentils, nuts, whole grains, etc.

True, most of them are eating both high-carb and high-fat diets. Lots of fatty meats, whole eggs, full-fat dairy products, and fried foods. They are eating lots of sugars and starches too, especially breads, potatoes, pizza, pasta, waffles, cookies and cakes, ice cream, etc. The healthy carbs, such as those you've mentioned, plus fruits and veggies, no, not so much -- although I can recall that Lisa liked fruit, Aaron liked peanut butter, and Justin would eat salads as part of some of his big meals.

The problem is the amount of food and the fact that processed foods have been calibrated by researchers for maximum addictive flavor, not any particular macronutrient.

I also wonder if poor nutrition has anything to do with it. If people are eating foods with little nutrition and possibly have some deficiencies, is it possible that their body continues to give hunger signals because it is hungry for a particular nutrient, even after caloric intake is sufficient?

Yes, I agree with all of this. Most of the pounticipants, even if they eat a home-cooked breakfast of fresh foods like eggs and biscuits, are usually eating fast foods and processed foods the rest of the day. So they are probably getting a double-whammy from those foods in that they are designed to be addictive and are also low in nutrition (though high in calories) which could keep their bodies wanting more food. It should be illegal to calibrate processed foods for highly addictive traits, especially when they are also low in nutrition and high in calories and carbs.

• Love 8

To illustrate the point of poor nutrition among these patients, I'm rewatching June's original episode tonight, from season 4. Dr. Now admitted her to hospital upon her first appointment at the clinic, and once tests had been run, found that she was severely malnourished. Although June was eating quite a lot, the foods she ate had very little nutritional value.

So yes, ByMoreAndSave, this does appear to be a real issue with at least some of the poundticipants. [Although I don't recall Dr. Now pointing this out regarding other patients.]

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
12 hours ago, ProTourist said:

True, most of them are eating both high-carb and high-fat diets. Lots of fatty meats, whole eggs, full-fat dairy products, and fried foods. They are eating lots of sugars and starches too, especially breads, potatoes, pizza, pasta, waffles, cookies and cakes, ice cream, etc. The healthy carbs, such as those you've mentioned, plus fruits and veggies, no, not so much -- although I can recall that Lisa liked fruit, Aaron liked peanut butter, and Justin would eat salads as part of some of his big meals.

Yes, I agree with all of this. Most of the pounticipants, even if they eat a home-cooked breakfast of fresh foods like eggs and biscuits, are usually eating fast foods and processed foods the rest of the day. So they are probably getting a double-whammy from those foods in that they are designed to be addictive and are also low in nutrition (though high in calories) which could keep their bodies wanting more food. It should be illegal to calibrate processed foods for highly addictive traits, especially when they are also low in nutrition and high in calories and carbs.

I think the diets they're eating are high in everything. But I know I've tracked my nutrition over the years and whenever I eat fast food I'm usually over on fat and saturated fat for the day, but not on carbs. Judging by his Instagram and what he said on the episode, it seems like Justin started to make healthy changes before seeing Dr. Now (possibly the only person on the show to do so?) so that explains the salad. Also I didn't see Aaron's episode but I bet he was eating the kind of peanut butter with lots of added sugar and palm oil.

Technically I don't think biscuits are fresh foods...they're probably making the kind from a can and not from scratch, and even if it was from scratch it would be with refined flour and oil. I agree there should be more regulation about making food addictive and processed food companies should have to do something to help the obesity epidemic like how cigarette companies have to make anti-smoking things.

8 hours ago, ProTourist said:

To illustrate the point of poor nutrition among these patients, I'm rewatching June's original episode tonight, from season 4. Dr. Now admitted her to hospital upon her first appointment at the clinic, and once tests had been run, found that she was severely malnourished. Although June was eating quite a lot, the foods she ate had very little nutritional value.

So yes, ByMoreAndSave, this does appear to be a real issue with at least some of the poundticipants. [Although I don't recall Dr. Now pointing this out regarding other patients.]

And plus the more you weigh, the more vitamins you need, so that probably compounds the problem even if it doesn't get to the level of requiring hospitalization. I bet part of the eating plan involves taking vitamins, plus the fruits and vegetables will provide a lot of the vitamins that were missing.

The reason why I thought of this is because my mental state has vastly improved since I started taking fish oil and vitamin D every day. I eat a decent diet but I never ate much fish and I wear sunscreen every day so I ended up deficient and it had a huge effect on my mood, motivation, and cognitive abilities.

Edited by BuyMoreAndSave
  • Love 2

I wonder how many people apply for the show, and are rejected?    Because they don't have an interesting back story, or they don't have the intention of moving to Houston?    Also, I'm sure some are rejected from the program for medical, or other reasons too.     I remember that with Robert's sad story, that the friend of the girl friend claimed that he had been rejected, or failed to complete weight loss programs with local surgeons.    I bet that's the reason that some of the poundticipants from big cities don't go locally, because they were turned down, or already dropped out. 

Part of the post WLS program (at least for the gastric bypass, a couple of friends had this) is eat protein first, and they take a lot of supplements, and vitamins every day.     Since they can have malabsorption (?) and dumping syndrome (you don't want to know), you can end up with all kinds of mineral, and vitamin deficiencies, anemia (in one case I know of, this was a big issue), and osteoporosis.  The people that say surgery is the easy way out are wrong.             

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 4/10/2019 at 6:45 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I wonder how many people apply for the show, and are rejected?    Because they don't have an interesting back story, or they don't have the intention of moving to Houston?   

Someone here, at one time, said something about a friend who was filmed a bit for an episode, but then was dropped for someone with more drama.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
54 minutes ago, auntjess said:

Someone here, at one time, said something about a friend who was filmed a bit for an episode, but then was dropped for someone with more drama.

Makes sense - they are a show first and foremost, and they have to keep their ratings up...

• Useful 1

The absolutely only good thing about the ASSanti brothers fustercluck? This news has shown me that I actually have standards. They are set very very low, but still. I will not watch any show with either of those  horrible people or read any more stories about them. Life is just too fecking short. Carry on, Pounders! I'm not checking out of this forum, but I just can't with the ASSantis. 

• Love 6
12 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Eeeeeeewww! The only thing that will make this watchable is viewing this episode with my fellow Pounder Pals during the Live Chat.

Is there a date for this mess?  I am not sure I can watch.

Totally unrelated to the Assanti bros-------I went to the doctor yesterday and was told to lose "ten pound in the next 6 munts."

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

I hope the update is only Justin.     And the same article claims Karina is filming an update (she's local in Texas).    The Starcasm article (not a great source I know) says that Karina's personal trainer and friend is Gilbert (of Lupe and Gilbert fame), however I think he was moving back to L.A. too.      

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1