Type keyword(s) to search

The All You Can Eat Buffet: My 600 Pound Life All Episode Discussion

• Start Topic

On 7/3/2019 at 3:40 PM, Hellga said:

Let's hope it's a good one, then, and have a great time in chat even if it's not!

I watched one of my "stored" episodes last night (cillas) and had a dark thought that MAYBE the reason there's no projected season 8 schedule (and it's already november) is because there were TOO FEW candidates who actually qualified for the show and/or stuck with the program long enough to film an episode!!  Last season there were too many who, IMO, were "throw-away" candidates (not literally) who bored us silly for 2 hrs only to flame out and/or make NO PROGRESS!  

I originally thought the 600 lb. vault was full of fascinating candidates bursting to be seen in a new season and TLC was stalling with buying the new season episodes; however, now I'm wondering if the reason we're not getting any "teaser" shows scattered on the TLC lineup that usually heralds a new season of a show, is because there's no content available that's suitable for viewing.

Even new episodes of the WATN offshoots, candidates may be wearing very thin with success stories.  As we know, less than 5% keep the weight off.  Speaking as someone who lost 100 lbs 15 years ago and kept it off, I know what I have to do each and every day to avoid falling into old habits.  Believe me, it's a constant effort that requires enormous discipline and focus!!

• Love 3
On 11/2/2019 at 9:42 PM, ketose said:

Dr. Now wants patients to succeed, but he's not going to do weight loss surgery on someone who can't deal with cravings  and will re-inflate their stomach within a few months.

I posted under another topic; HOWEVER, wanted to share my thoughts here that I'm concerned that our favorite show (600) won't be returning NOT BECAUSE TLC is pulling the plug BUT BECAUSE they can't provide enough content with "successful" candidates to warrant filming.

The situation with Jeanne and MANY OTHERS last year was it was 2 hrs of HO-HUM nothing because no effort was being put into the program by the participants.

I'm thinking the pickins' may be mighty slim to cast new shows, AND regarding the WATN shows, I'm thinking along the same lines:  Very few (if ANY) are succeeding to the point where they want to be filmed.  I recall that Joe (who married and divorced Sara) saying he would not be filmed for a follow-up show because he didn't want his weight revealed.  I also recall Dottie (our dear dottie) saying she was done with filming for "obvious" reasons.

ANYONE DISAGREE WITH THIS THEORY???

• Love 2
On 11/7/2019 at 2:04 PM, pdlinda said:

I'm thinking the pickins' may be mighty slim to cast new shows, AND regarding the WATN shows, I'm thinking along the same lines:  Very few (if ANY) are succeeding to the point where they want to be filmed.  I recall that Joe (who married and divorced Sara) saying he would not be filmed for a follow-up show because he didn't want his weight revealed.  I also recall Dottie (our dear dottie) saying she was done with filming for "obvious" reasons.

ANYONE DISAGREE WITH THIS THEORY???

I think the problem may be more that Dr. Now is getting older and perhaps wants to retire.
When he had that doctor work with him on the Louisiana siblings, I was hoping he was grooming a successor, but I haven't seen that doctor again.
I'd guess that there are still lots of candidates.
And I've probably asked this before, but who's the one in that Dr. Now says "you act like it's out fault you're not losing weight."
A woman with curly, dark hair.

33 minutes ago, auntjess said:

I think the problem may be more that Dr. Now is getting older and perhaps wants to retire.
When he had that doctor work with him on the Louisiana siblings, I was hoping he was grooming a successor, but I haven't seen that doctor again.

I thought that doctor would be on again also. I wouldn't like the show as much without Dr. Now, and might not even watch it with another doctor.

1 hour ago, auntjess said:

And I've probably asked this before, but who's the one in that Dr. Now says "you act like it's out fault you're not losing weight."
A woman with curly, dark hair.

That was Jeanne, the one who lived in squalor with her parents and nine dogs.

• Love 2
On 11/20/2019 at 2:25 AM, ProTourist said:

That was Jeanne, the one who lived in squalor with her parents and nine dogs.

Thanks, I'll watch for it to show up again.  Tonight I've got Robin(?) and someone whose nephew went instead of her brother.
I'd watch the show with another doctor, if it was the same angst- and drama-ridden show.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, babyhouseman said:

That article was published in October 2019 and says, "Joe Wexler recently got married." I mean, who writes these things? He got divorced awhile ago.

I saw Chay's name and went to her IG to see what she was up to. She's got a link at the top of her page that goes to her Amazon wedding registry. She's getting married in February.

ETA: 

Here's her fiance: 

Sometimes when I can’t sleep I’ll mentally go through the people on this show and think who would be possible WATN episodes. I couldn’t come up with more than Justin from season 7. Too many failures and forgettable people. The only other possibility was Tamy And Alicia from season 6? I hope they don’t go the James K route and do follow ups on people like Angie the druggie thinking the utterly unlikable trainwrecks make good WATN.

Edited by Wanda
Hunk isn’t think

I've read that Robin, and her nephew Garrett, Destinee, are filming, but who knows how true that is.   

There have been some recent successes.   Aaron, Brandon.    Maybe Chay.    Vianey and Allan.   I would love to see updates.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

I saw on another thread that "600" will return on 1/1/20.

However, I just read there's ANOTHER SHOW about 2 Kentucky sisters who weigh 1,000 lb.  having a show featuring their weight loss efforts with another doctor (whom I've seen before in another weight-loss type show.

I'm wondering if THIS SHOW (not "600") is the one returning?  The promo specifically mentions a 1/1/20 air date. 

• Love 1

Annoying as fuck Janine (you may remember her as the Pounder who drove her scooter through the drive thru window) has quit filming follow ups and says she's mad they edited out all of her efforts to praise god on the show. (I guess she's so mired in her persecution complex that she missed Schenee's god-off with Dr Now.) 

On 12/5/2019 at 10:54 AM, Giant Misfit said:

Annoying as fuck Janine (you may remember her as the Pounder who drove her scooter through the drive thru window) has quit filming follow ups and says she's mad they edited out all of her efforts to praise god on the show. (I guess she's so mired in her persecution complex that she missed Schenee's god-off with Dr Now.) 

I just watched her show rerun last night, and came here to find out if there was a follow-up.
Any idea if she did lose weight?
ETA:  Link finally opened, so I see she's down some.  Thanks.

Edited by auntjess
On 12/6/2019 at 2:46 AM, Giant Misfit said:

US Magazine has the trailer for the new season. Starts January 1st at 8 p.m.

Wow. Maybe it's camera angles, but some of them look like the largest people we've ever seen on this show.

And "Eat death, Lindsay!"  is quite the sound bite.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Gbb said:

Wow. Maybe it's camera angles, but some of them look like the largest people we've ever seen on this show.

And "Eat death, Lindsay!"  is quite the sound bite.

I may try to get "Eat death, Lindsay!" as a ringtone. Just saying. 

• LOL 9
  • Love 2

For those wishing to do some catch-up or binge-watching, or just some review of favorites, all episodes of seasons 1 - 7 are currently available to watch for free on TLC's website (and via their TLC Go app for mobile devices).

https://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/my-600-lb-life/

Don't know how long this freebie will last, possibly just until the new season starts on 1/1.

[Note that the free access is only to the regular season episodes, not to the Where Are The Now? episodes.]

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I find it hard to believe anything Angie says about a follow up episode, unless it's one like the James K follow up where he gained in the hospital, or like Cynthia who quit.    All Angie wanted was her skin growths removed, and not to change anything.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I find it hard to believe anything Angie says about a follow up episode, unless it's one like the James K follow up where he gained in the hospital, or like Cynthia who quit.    All Angie wanted was her skin growths removed, and not to change anything.  

Or Charity who ODed in the hospital.

• Love 2

Rewatching Jeanne's story and laughed out loud with, "I'm gonna shove my progress in Dr Now's face!"

That was some good shit right there, Jeanne!

3 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

Rewatching Jeanne's story and laughed out loud with, "I'm gonna shove my progress in Dr Now's face!"

That was some good shit right there, Jeanne!

Me too. 

My favorite is the discussion with Mom at the gas station.  Jeanne is bitching about people staring at her because she is fat.  Not because she is travelling with a camera crew and smoking by a gas pump.

Jeanne said she feels (paraphrasing) like she is less than.  She said they should just throw her in with the lepers.  Mom said Well, then you'll be a leper AND fat.  That cracked me up.

Btw, they eat oranges.  Lots of oranges.  We all know where that leads.  Grapes and sugar free strawberry jam.  All is lost at that point.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, toodles said:

Me too.

My favorite is the discussion with Mom at the gas station.  Jeanne is bitching about people staring at her because she is fat.  Not because she is travelling with a camera crew and smoking by a gas pump.

Jeanne said she feels (paraphrasing) like she is less than.  She said they should just throw her in with the lepers.  Mom said Well, then you'll be a leper AND fat.  That cracked me up.

Btw, they eat oranges.  Lots of oranges.  We all know where that leads.  Grapes and sugar free strawberry jam.  All is lost at that point.

Oh yes, no hi-Jeanne. A leper AND fat, we shouldn't laugh, but we did. And yes, we wouldn't look at someone smoking near a gas pump because boom, but because you're fat. Well maybe because we're wondering about spontaneous combustion too, or how long fat burns, but that's only evil people.

Has lots of gateway fruit. If I eat an orange I'm going down hell's highway, aren't I?

• LOL 3
22 hours ago, SuzySmith said:

Why do all of these people use paper plates and disposable silverware?  I am starting to think that Dixie is a sponsor!

It takes less effort to dump stuff in the trash rather than load a dishwasher or heaven forbid(!) wash them by hand.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, nokat said:

Oh yes, no hi-Jeanne. A leper AND fat, we shouldn't laugh, but we did. And yes, we wouldn't look at someone smoking near a gas pump because boom, but because you're fat. Well maybe because we're wondering about spontaneous combustion too, or how long fat burns, but that's only evil people.

Has lots of gateway fruit. If I eat an orange I'm going down hell's highway, aren't I?

I believe it has been established that grapes are the true cause of all obesity.

19 minutes ago, sagittarius sue said:

It takes less effort to dump stuff in the trash rather than load a dishwasher or heaven forbid(!) wash them by hand.

Back in the 70s, we were told that using a dishwasher was pure evil because it used electricity and hot water.  It was better to use paper products.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, fonfereksglen said:

I believe it has been established that grapes are the true cause of all obesity.

Back in the 70s, we were told that using a dishwasher was pure evil because it used electricity and hot water.  It was better to use paper products.

I'm done for then, the grapes were on sale. Soooo good though

Back in the 70s,  I was hanging clothes on the line rather than drying them in a (gasp) clothes dryer. Probably good exercise.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, Namaste said:

This show inspires me to eat healthy and not gain weight. Anyone else?

Yup. Watching every episode of this show last winter got me through the first few months of keto. My problem may not have been as large as theirs, but occasionally I'd hear them say aloud some rationalizations I've made internally, and it was very good for calling me out on them. 

Of course, I also used to spend every Hoarders episode puttering around finding something to clean/put away.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, kassa said:

Of course, I also used to spend every Hoarders episode puttering around finding something to clean/put away.

For an OCD person, Hoarders must be a nightmare. Me, I just think about cleaning the fridge. Waves the duster and looks under beds.

• LOL 1

The worst part of hoarders for me is the waste.     The hoarders buy massive amounts of food and clothes they'll never use, and that could have helped so many people instead of just rotting away.   

Apparently, the Supersize episodes for 600 lb. are now on Fridays, 9-11 p.m., Central, on TLC.    I guess Thursdays are the medical oddity shows now.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 12/6/2019 at 1:24 PM, auntjess said:

Yes, she was absolutely annoying AF!!!! 

Lady don’t act like you’re so much of a holy roller and refuse to film  further because they supposedly edited out your “praising God” clips! At the same time don’t be a hippocrite oops hypocrite!  What they had to actually constantly bleep or edit was her constant cursing  (I personally don’t mind cursing fyi) but don’t act like you’re. a sweet church lady! I think she missed that Gluttony is one of the 7 deadly sins. Along with Sloth and Pride which is clearly dead on for her. She also lies constantly.  

It also made me so angry when all of these people from the airlines, fire and rescue had to move her fat lazy ass and all she kept saying was “ow ow ow, I’m in pain.” How about countless people that may have been injured moving her. I have friends that are Nurses that had severe injuries by moving fat,lazy, selfish people like that while in the hospital. 

• Love 3

I had to do two separate posts.

Brittany is replaying on TLC now! I love her! From the very beginning she did what Dr Now said! She went through severe trauma and never used it as an excuse! 

She has proved all the other excuse makers wrong:

The whole excuse that they have to eat like crap because they were on the road.  Brittany and her husband drove 7 days to get to Houston. She had pre-made little containers with the food Dr Now told her to eat. Then she lost so much weight with even being on the road! 

She was out of breath because she was so tiny and was 600lbs but she started exercising immediately.  She even bought a treadmill! 

She was so excited when she was able to start helping her husband with the chores.

She really  was so sweet and I was so happy for her and she did even better on her follow up.

Brittany and her husband want to have children so much.  I hope that happens for them.  They seem like they would be amazing parents! 

• Love 5

The recent episode where Lindsey's husband is an alcoholic got me thinking- have we seen any poundticipants with drug or alcohol additions? Most seem to be teetotalers as I recall, but I'm not a faithful viewer. I remember one in recent years who smoked cigarettes which surprised me as nicotine tends to cut appetite.

• Useful 1

Doug, from Wichita Falls had used meth or other drugs, alcohol, and was still a food addict.    He stopped the drugs, and drinking, and then saw Dr. Now. 

There have been quite a few that used drugs, I think mostly prescription drugs that they abused.  RObert (died during the episode) called from the road to have Dr. Now give him a renewal of his pain pills, one of the woman brought drugs to the hospital, and almost OD in the hospital.   Steven A. of course. and I'm sure others.   

I suspect (not that it was shown) that some of them were also world class drinkers too.  Lots of empty calories with beer and other booze. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, gameshowjunkie said:

The recent episode where Lindsey's husband is an alcoholic got me thinking- have we seen any poundticipants with drug or alcohol additions? Most seem to be teetotalers as I recall, but I'm not a faithful viewer. I remember one in recent years who smoked cigarettes which surprised me as nicotine tends to cut appetite.

LB Bonner had struggled previously with alcohol. 

On 1/12/2020 at 5:20 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

There have been quite a few that used drugs, I think mostly prescription drugs that they abused.  

Definitely.  The guy who died during filming - Kevin, I think?, I think Angela from last season also, a couple others that I recall...

On 1/12/2020 at 5:20 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Doug, from Wichita Falls had used meth or other drugs, alcohol, and was still a food addict.    He stopped the drugs, and drinking, and then saw Dr. Now. 

There have been quite a few that used drugs, I think mostly prescription drugs that they abused.  RObert (died during the episode) called from the road to have Dr. Now give him a renewal of his pain pills, one of the woman brought drugs to the hospital, and almost OD in the hospital.   Steven A. of course. and I'm sure others.   

Ah yes Steve A..I tend to block the brothers out. So awful.

• Love 1