Type keyword(s) to search

Babs: She Has a Fish Purse!

• Start Topic

Babs is a trip. Although being from NC myself, I couldn't help but cringe a bit at her exaggerated Southern Belle drawl. I have an accent too, but hers is of the stereotypical "slow & stupid" variety that makes me want to put a crawl at the bottom of the screen saying, "We don't all sound like this!" Of course I know people that really do sound like her, but there are also others that play up their drawl because they think it's cute.

• Love 5

I think both Babs and her husband are in their 60's. She does sound "older" than most women her age, imo. I did crack up when she was telling Whitney

how much she liked Buddy. It's also amusing to see Penny calling her "Mommy" , I was reduced to "Mom" by the time my kids were 7 and 10 years old.

• Love 2

Babs, you have no idea where your adult daughter's lips have been - especially since she recently talked about sneaking men into her bedroom at your home. You might not want to be sharing lipstick with her.

• Love 3
(edited)

Babs is wonderful. When she learns that Whitney took the Key Lime Pie yogurt (which is Babs' favorite), she laments, "Another heartbreak for me."

Edited by grayson
  • Love 3

I love Babs, and she definitely has the best lines.  I also think she's beautiful and must have been a knock out when she was younger.  

There was a one-hour Babs show recently.  Yes, she was a beautiful girl in her younger years.  I was surprised how nice she still looked in a bathing suit (with pantyhose, but still).

• Love 2

Love me some Baps as well--she reminds me of a lot of G.R.I.T.S down here (Girls Raised In The South)  She was so torn up over Whitney getting the cat and honestly I thought Whit was a little selfish for taking the cat away. I understand it was hers to begin with but come on you already have one cat and if you see your mom's heart breaking over loosing another then why not let kitty stay with her?

• Love 2

I love Babs... My favorite quote so far is when they are in the dressing room at the pool and in her talking head she is saying "now when some women see you getting undressed, they point at you" ( I don't know the direct quote off the top of my head)

I just went back and re-watched the episode where Babs gets a piglet.  That part in her TH segment where she talks about being thrown under a bus, and speaking of Twitney, says there wouldn't be room for her to fit.  And delivers the line without cracking a smile.  I ROLLED. 

I also love the episode where Twit is about to go interview for her "internship" at the radio station and Babs tells Twit she's going to give her a class in comportment.  HYSTERICAL.  This lady is tops!

On 11/5/2015 at 9:22 PM, ShaNaeNae said:

I think the title of this thread should be, "She's got a fish pocketbook". Cracks me up when she calls it a pocketbook.

I call it that a lot as well (I'm about half her age). I wonder if it's a regional thing? (I'm also from NC).

• Love 1
1 hour ago, lallalla said:

I just went back and re-watched the episode where Babs gets a piglet.  That part in her TH segment where she talks about being thrown under a bus, and speaking of Twitney, says there wouldn't be room for her to fit.  And delivers the line without cracking a smile.  I ROLLED. 

I also love the episode where Twit is about to go interview for her "internship" at the radio station and Babs tells Twit she's going to give her a class in comportment.  HYSTERICAL.  This lady is tops!

I call it that a lot as well (I'm about half her age). I wonder if it's a regional thing? (I'm also from NC).

Re:  calling it a Pocketbook - I think it's more of an age thing than regional (I'm in Maryland ).  When my son was little he would call it my "Pocketpurse", combing his grandmother calling it a pocket book & me saying purse. 

I rewatched the piglet episode too & got a kick out of her Throwing Twit under the bus comment. 

• Love 1

My dad used to say pocketbook, and I actually used it the other day, in the phrase "pocketbook full of contraband" to describe the snacks and drink I was smuggling into the movies :)  Pocketbook Full of Contraband is also an excellent rock band name, BTW.

• Love 3

I'm 58 from the Northeast.  Growing up "purse" and "pocketbook" were used interchangeably.  I might have used either one myself.  I agree that the usage was somewhat age-related.  I think the generation older than me continued to use "pocketbook" after younger people already stopped.  I can't remember exactly when "pocketbook" started to fall out of use.  I think it disappeared gradually starting around the 80s or so.  I also remember using the term "handbag", which is also not so popular anymore.

• Love 3

I like Babs a lot, BUT...when she decided to buy the pet pig, I gave her the side-eye. I feel like keeping a farm animal as a housepet is a big mistake. Yeah, it was a cute piglet when you got it, but it will eventually be a massive hog. Just a bizarre choice, IMO. YMMV.

• Love 4
On 1/28/2015 at 11:33 PM, M.F. Luder said:

Her voice sounds exactly like Tree Trunks' from Adventure Time to me. 

I'm resurrecting my old comment to add this clip from Adventure Time. Not only do I think Babs' voice is very similar to Tree Trunks', but I think they probably have similar approaches to seduction (judging by Babs' sexting style).

• Love 1
On 8/4/2016 at 3:18 PM, SongbirdHollow said:

If you look at his LinkedIn, there's a recommendation referring to him as "Stan". LOL.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/glenn-thore-29815815

On 8/4/2016 at 1:39 PM, preciousperfect said:

Yes her parents have given her an over abundance of attention and confidence to the point where it's literally killing Whitney. They are 70 years old and won't be around much longer. Your daughter can't even put on shoes! Stop clapping for everything she does!

This is from the latest episode topic, and this seemed the most appropriate place.

About Glenn's LinkedIn profile. I looked him up on LinkedIn - and I was signed in since I have a LinkedIn account. There are 3 "Glenn Thore" profiles that are very similar but only this one is in anything like complete: https://www.linkedin.com/in/glenn-thore-23902224 He probably signed in at different times, and wasn't sure what he was doing when he made the other two profiles. Then I assume that he - or someone helping him - created the complete one. The incomplete "Stan" one looks to me like he was writing a recommendation for someone named Stan who reported to him, but didn't do it in the right place.

And now, about Whitney's "aged" parents who "won't be around a lot longer." The ancient age of 70 has been mentioned.

Ahem. While I agree that Whit's parents should by now be on the receiving end of care/attention from their kids vs. nonstop give give give to their spoiled-ass "little girl," sheesh, people, they do NOT already have one foot in the grave! I'm in my late sixties, retired from one career, and still working quite a bit - yes, for money. Last year I took a wonderful 2 week vacation abroad - alone, touring by rail, lugging my own bags, including photo gear. I'm not far from 70 and I hope I'm still rolling when that birthday comes along. 

My contemporaries - friends and relatives - who have children and grandchildren are actively involved in their own and their kids' lives. One couple when not traveling the world, have designated Sundays to be family day when they host their three married kids and all the grandkids for dinner. Another couple are in constant motion - everything from helping their son and DIL remodel their first house, to joyfully babysitting their grandkids and attending grandkids' events. And tending to a 97-year old parent who still lives in his own home (thanks to their daily help).

Babs and Glenn seem fairly healthy and active. In ten years or so, they may have developed some health issues, and as I can testify, at this age we need to work at keeping our strength and agility up, so that in ten years we're still able to hop up out of a chair, grab the leash, and walk the dog (or pig) the way we do now. 

And in ten years? Let us hope and pray that Whitney is still fat - but not morbidly obese. Let us entertain visions of a strong and mobile Whitney, not a sylph by any means, but tying her own shoes, able to walk up and down stairs without breathlessness, and able to lend a supporting arm to anyone who may need a little extra security while walking. Or to hold out a helping hand if any person - perhaps a parent - needs a little help getting out of a chair. 

Sorry for the rant. That "OMG those parents are sooooo old! Seventy!!" - just hit a nerve.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Like 1
  • Love 18

Beautiful post,  Jeeves. 

It would be nice to see Whit helping her parents, OR ANYONE, OTHER THAN HERSELF. 

I think most off us have a love/hate view of Babs and Glenn. Perfectly nice people--until you meet Whit. 

Nature or nurture or narcissism?   

Let's just all pray for grandkids--from their son-- for them SOON!

Edited by Tosia
The thought of Whit with kids is unimaginable.
  • Love 6

I'm with you Jeeves - 69 years old and still ziplining every chance I get (with my 75-year-old husband).  Sidelined temporarily by knee replacement surgery, but working hard every day to get back up on my feet.

I did a quick peek at Facebook.  Glenn has almost as many friends as Whitney.  

• Love 5
On August 6, 2016 at 10:15 AM, Jeeves said:

This is from the latest episode topic, and this seemed the most appropriate place.

About Glenn's LinkedIn profile. I looked him up on LinkedIn - and I was signed in since I have a LinkedIn account. There are 3 "Glenn Thore" profiles that are very similar but only this one is in anything like complete: https://www.linkedin.com/in/glenn-thore-23902224 He probably signed in at different times, and wasn't sure what he was doing when he made the other two profiles. Then I assume that he - or someone helping him - created the complete one. The incomplete "Stan" one looks to me like he was writing a recommendation for someone named Stan who reported to him, but didn't do it in the right place.

I agree - when I pulled up the LinkedIn profile there was a coworker named Stanley (forgot the last name) at PBM who was about the same age as Glenn. I imagine he was like my mom - didn't know how it worked so well and screwed up where the recommendation went.

• Love 1

Absofuckinglutely! 

That funeral intervention was a little close to home for her parents to realize that it may happen, but at least Glenn can say he tried to help her,  to no avail. 

Interesting now that I think abt it--Whit walked out on the funeral without a word--just like she walked out on next week's confrontation with the comedian.

She's not good with intelligent comebacks to criticism, is she.  You would think Whit would come up with a few stock lines to defend her No BS, but that would add more work to her busy schedule.  Poor thing.  

• Love 4
On 7/26/2016 at 1:56 PM, ClareWalks said:

I like Babs a lot, BUT...when she decided to buy the pet pig, I gave her the side-eye. I feel like keeping a farm animal as a housepet is a big mistake. Yeah, it was a cute piglet when you got it, but it will eventually be a massive hog. Just a bizarre choice, IMO. YMMV.

Despite there being a wealth of information available about these animals, I feel a lot of people just don't realize their full-grown state is well over 100lbs, the name is not a misnomer, just a comparison to a "normal" pig.  We are talking somewhere in the ballpark of 300lbs, vs 800lbs for their "average" counterparts.  "Teacup" or "miniature" are absolutely only relative.  I think once full-grown, you're lucky if it's barely over 100lbs, from what I've read.  They are undeniably cute, IMO, but NOT small, by any means, and likely not so well-suited for a house pet as cutesy ads make them out to be.  I blame the breeders and their advertising, as much, if not more so than the buyers.

• Love 3

So didn't Babs have a stroke? 
I could swear I saw her in bed, and Whit huddled by her.
I thought this was in one of the "pregnant or no" episodes I skipped, because they looked boring, but maybe I saw it in a promo.
(Strange for a promo--"be sure a tune-in for Bab's stroke.  You don't want to miss this one."

On 8/9/2016 at 5:53 PM, lallalla said:

Despite there being a wealth of information available about these animals, I feel a lot of people just don't realize their full-grown state is well over 100lbs, the name is not a misnomer, just a comparison to a "normal" pig.  We are talking somewhere in the ballpark of 300lbs, vs 800lbs for their "average" counterparts.  "Teacup" or "miniature" are absolutely only relative.  I think once full-grown, you're lucky if it's barely over 100lbs, from what I've read.  They are undeniably cute, IMO, but NOT small, by any means, and likely not so well-suited for a house pet as cutesy ads make them out to be.  I blame the breeders and their advertising, as much, if not more so than the buyers.

I don't have a high opinion of pigs as pets based on some things that I have seen on tv AND what I observed when a good friend of mine got one some years ago.  It was totally not what you would expect and he re-homed the pig within a couple of weeks.  The one that he had was a HUGE job to care for.   I suppose their socialability is a major factor, but, the ones that I have seen just seem to not like people very much.  Of course, pig owners say otherwise.  

Their size is another factor and I recently saw a vet talking about how their size and their noise is something that the average pet owner may struggle with.  We'll see if Babs is able to manage the pig long term.  

On 8/6/2016 at 10:15 AM, Jeeves said:

Glad you cleared "Stan" up I was beginning to think everyone (Lenny, Tal) who knew Whitney felt the need to use fake names.

Has Whitney ever mentioned how Babs treated her (Whitney's) weight issues at the beginning?  Was she supportive, critical, neither?  At least at the beginning of when I started watching Glenn seemed to try and reign in Whitney, but has seemingly given up.    Babs seems to crack jokes, passive aggressively I suppose, but have they ever shown or told of Babs really laying into Whitney about her weight?  I guess when your "kid" is getting close to 40 there's not much you can do.  I guess Babs and Glenn can at least be happy TLC is paying at least some of Whitneys bills now.

On 9/30/2017 at 8:25 AM, Irate Panda said:

Glad you cleared "Stan" up I was beginning to think everyone (Lenny, Tal) who knew Whitney felt the need to use fake names.

Has Whitney ever mentioned how Babs treated her (Whitney's) weight issues at the beginning?  Was she supportive, critical, neither?  At least at the beginning of when I started watching Glenn seemed to try and reign in Whitney, but has seemingly given up.    Babs seems to crack jokes, passive aggressively I suppose, but have they ever shown or told of Babs really laying into Whitney about her weight?  I guess when your "kid" is getting close to 40 there's not much you can do.  I guess Babs and Glenn can at least be happy TLC is paying at least some of Whitneys bills now.

There are only 2 times I can recall Babs openly revealing how she feels about Twit's weight. Once in an interview she did a double take when Twit said, "I really don't like cake." And one time she said Whit embarrassed her; the two were in Twit's bedroom selecting clothes for a trip, maybe the one to NYC.

• Love 1

Babs passed away last night with Glenn, Hunter, and Whitney by her side. The latter has more details on her insta but she did mention that Babs had a condition which resulted in numerous brain bleeds which also led to cerebral hemhorrages. She had another event in November.

Edited by Me from ME
typo
  • Sad 21