Type keyword(s) to search

Trailers & New Movies: Coming Soon to a Cinema Near You!

• Start Topic

On 6/8/2018 at 7:40 PM, VCRTracking said:

Claire Foy's fantastic year continues as she co-stars with Ryan Gosling in First Man

I sometimes wish I liked Ryan Gosling. But he has resting smirkface, so I just want to have him off my screen.

• Love 3

Ah, Ryan Gosling does have an unfortunate smirk, but listen to him talk about taking his mother to the Oscars or his unfortunate dance move incident with Emma Stone.  He is pretty adorable; he comes across to me like he is an introvert and Emma brings out his fun side a little.

(Both clips are from Graham Norton show and can be found on YouTube.)

• Love 2

I know, he seems like a nice guy but I avoid movies he's in. I just keep being annoyed when I see him on screen. Drive was such a chore to get through and I'm fairly certain I would have liked it if had been anyone else.

5 minutes ago, festivus said:

I don't dislike Ryan Gosling but I have to admit that I don't get it. I don't get why he's such a big star, he's dull as dishwater to me. 

That too. I think he's a nice man and I loved his amused reaction to the Oscar kerfuffle but as an actor? Just so blah. And then there's the smirk. He seems to make fairly interesting choices in movies that's what prompted my initial comment on him.

I wonder if we should have put this in the Unpopular Opinions thread.

Back to topic: Aehm, it's too hot here to think about going to see a new movie and sit in a freezing dark room instead of out in the sun!

• Love 1
6 hours ago, festivus said:

I don't dislike Ryan Gosling but I have to admit that I don't get it. I don't get why he's such a big star, he's dull as dishwater to me. 

I loved him in The Nice Guys.  He's great at comedy.  I checked out IMDB and I've only seen him in two other movies:  The Big Short, which I really liked overall and La La Land, which I didn't care for overall, so I don't really have a strong opinion of him when it comes to drama or romance. 

I'm not sure about First Man, either.  I'll have to see another trailer and hear some reviews before I decide if I want to see it or not.

Yeah, I like Gosling (Breaker High gave him a lot of nostalgia points in my book) but the more I think about La La Land, the more I hate it and Damian Chazelle so... not looking forward to First Man.  Also, as a friend said, "why are they making this look like a thriller?"

On 6/20/2018 at 5:29 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Twenty bucks says Drago or Drago Jr says "I must break you."

Even better would be if someone (preferably Adonis) says about Jr., "If he dies, he dies." 

• Love 3

My favorite Ryan Gosling moment hasn't been in one of his movies, even though I like him as an actor.  Years ago when Britney Spears was going through her meltdown and a reporter was asking Ryan about it since they did The Mickey Mouse Club together as kids.  Ryan spoke with so much concern and compassion for Britney and talked about how great it was to grow up with her, how hard working she was back then.  He also spoke about having his first kiss with Britney.  It was a nice change of pace at the time to hear someone speak up for Britney in her time of need.

He also spoke fondly of Keri Russell and how she was the big sister and very protective of them all on set.

A true gentleman

• Love 11

I'm excited for First Man. I really hope it's as good as the trailer implies, and I love me some Ryan Gosling.

I will also be seeing The Hate U Give. I had no idea it was based on a book.

• Love 1
(edited)

Saoirse Ronan and Margot Robbie in Mary Queen of Scots:

Aw, don't fight, Saoirse and Margot!  Y'all saw who your true enemy was this year at the Oscars: Frances McDormand!

I'll definitely see it, but judging from the trailer, it does look like Saoirse Ronan is going to outshine Margot Robbie by quite a bit, even though I do like the latter a lot.  Some of it might be because it looks like Mary's going to have more meaty material, while the biggest takeaway I got from the Elizabeth stuff was them pushing another classic "Hey, watch us ugly up the impossibly gorgeous Margot Robbie!" thing.

And while I didn't see him, that was totally David Tennant's recognizable voice as John Knox!  I would have issues buying him in that role if this was during his Doctor Who period, but now thanks to his role as Kilgrave on Jessica Jones, I have a feeling he's really going to nail this role!

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 4
(edited)

On the Basis of Sex Trailer #1 - Christmas 2018

Stars Felicity Jones as Ruth Bader Ginsburg with Armie Hammer as her husband, plus Sam Waterston and Kathy Bates

Edited by Just Here
  • Love 3

Patient Zero

I feel like I've heard about this movie for a few years now, so I guess it is good it is coming out.  Looks a little different compared to other zombie films, but I wonder how Natalie Dormer was allowed to keep her normal British accent, while Matt Smith seems to be stuck with a bland, generic American accent?

14 hours ago, Trini said:

Robin Hood (2018 Movie)

Um, so this isn't set in medieval times?? The clothes and dialog are clearly not.

The most recent Robin Hood was set on the mean streets of Camelot with explosions and giant elephants.

On ‎06‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 8:19 PM, supposebly said:

I sometimes wish I liked Ryan Gosling. But he has resting smirkface, so I just want to have him off my screen.

I haven't seen him in much, but I can say I wish they'd cast someone else as Neil Armstrong because Gosling looks nothing like him.  I'll still see the movie because Armstrong is my personal hero, but I'd rather have had someone else.

So this is pretty tasteless. Tarantino intended to release his movie about the Charles Manson murders on the 50th anniversary of said murders. Story. Did he not realise how exploitive and bad taste that was?

15 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

So this takes place in an alternate universe where the U.S. Army in WWII is integrated? (It tells you something that this is bugging me more than the zombies.)

I thought they were going to Vietnam until that guy said, "Welcome to France."

On 7/18/2018 at 12:22 AM, Trini said:

Robin Hood (2018 Movie)

Um, so this isn't set in medieval times?? The clothes and dialog are clearly not.

Wow. That looks terrible. The trailer felt like it was 15 minutes long.

When I first heard about a Patient Zero movie I was hoping it would be an adaptation of the Jonathan Maberry book. Disappointing.

23 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

I am so looking forward to this.  I love Unbreakable and was surprised at Split (which I also enjoyed) and this looks really good.  I am happy it looks like they have Mr. Glass's mom in the movie - as a child, he was so sympathetic and his relationship with his mom was played really well.  I like that David's superhero costume is still the hooded raincoat.

• Love 2

I completely missed hearing about this until I saw an ad on top of a taxi of all things. I like that it doesn't look like a cheap movie. But I'm honestly a little disappointed that Mila Kunis and Kate McKinnon aren't playing Spy vs. Spy. Who cares about Justin Theroux? Why can't an action movie have lesbian characters without being an exploitation flick? Why don't the female characters get to be the qualified ones? I mean, I guess the positive is they're friends and cooperating instead of enemies. I'll still probably see it.

RE: Mary Queen of Scots

I don't know how much I buy Margot Robbie in the red wig but Yaass Saoirse and oh my God, the costumes. I love period pieces. I'm not sure I'm that interested in this script but God, it looks GORGEOUS.

RE: Colette

Jesus Christ. I want to like Keira but they keep giving her all the roles. At least I don't know enough about Colette to be annoyed the way I am whenever she's in a book adaptation and is nothing like the character in the book. It's very... literary Big Eyes. I can't remember the name of the movie that feels similar with the romantic entanglements. I'm probably going to like it. I just think it would be more interesting if Keira wasn't getting all of these roles. 

RE: The Favourite

Oh my God, what? Yes. Rachel Weisz hasn't been this fun since Brothers Bloom. (I still need to watch The Lobster.) I'm so in. God, I love period pieces... but also quirky absurdism. Also, it also looks AMAZING. 

RE: On the Basis of Sex

I like the idea for the movie but was there seriously no one other than Felicity Jones? It's not like she's playing an obscure person whose looks and voice are unfamiliar to the general population. This feels like the boring Hollywood version of this biopic. 

RE: Insatiable

On the face of it, it's a little cringey. But I see Alyssa Milano and Michael Ian Black. I'm hoping there's something bonkers about it that redeems the premise. Like some Jawbreaker or Death Becomes Her shit. This is what I mean by anti-PC. Camp and poor taste. I'm willing to see where they go with it.

New Venom trailer! This comes out right before my birthday. And I'm already planning to avoid my family that day... No, I'm kidding. This looks bloody terrible. I'm not going to waste my time on that. But did I have anyone fooled, even for a moment?