Type keyword(s) to search

Trailers & New Movies: Coming Soon to a Cinema Near You!

• Start Topic

Ok, where the hell have I been all these years that I didn't know that Getty's grandson was kidnapped?!  My in-laws worked on construction for both museums, for God's sake, and I never heard about that.  When I first saw the "Getty kidnapping" my mind when to Patty Hearst, so I was confused for a few seconds until the different name dawned on me.

That's one of my favorite periods in American history, no matter the topic:  politics, civil rights, women's rights, Vietnam War, hippies and protestors, etc....  It looks really good (and I never would have guessed that was Kevin Spacey).  I'm in. 

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, aradia22 said:

Re: The Current War

Ooph. Cumberbatch's American accent... God, that trailer was unbelievably boring. It was a struggle to get through those few minutes. Glad Tesla's in it. Not into it if Edison's not an asshole. 

On a movie forum I visit a poster who saw a test screening said the trailer is faster-paced than the entire film. The Current War premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival and the early reviews/Rotten Tomatoes watch is...not good.

Red Sparrow:

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 7:06 PM, Dejana said:

On a movie forum I visit a poster who saw a test screening said the trailer is faster-paced than the entire film. The Current War premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival and the early reviews/Rotten Tomatoes watch is...not good.

Red Sparrow:

So Red Sparrow is the R rated Black Widow movie we have been waiting for?

1 hour ago, JBC344 said:

So Red Sparrow is the R rated Black Widow movie we have been waiting for?

Red Sparrow is an adaptation of a 2013 book of the same name, but kinda. I'm reading it now and the character Joel Edgerton plays is 27 when the story starts. JLaw's character is 25, so she's around the right age and he's the one that's too old.

On September 14, 2017 at 6:22 PM, AimingforYoko said:

Ridley Scott takes on the Getty kidnapping in All The Money in the World:

Michelle Williams as a tormented mother where something terrible happens to her child?  What a brand new bit of casting.

I jest.  I jest.  I really like Williams and think she's underrated but at the same time I wouldn't want to be one of her pretend children. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Dejana said:

Red Sparrow is an adaptation of a 2013 book of the same name, but kinda. I'm reading it now and the character Joel Edgerton plays is 27 when the story starts. JLaw's character is 25, so she's around the right age and he's the one that's too old.

Yeah, I checked for the hell of it and Edgerton is 43, which surprises me because I thought he was younger.

14 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Tomb Raider

Gluh.

My only association with Lara Croft is the original film with Angelina (and pre-Bond Daniel Craig!!), which was just so delightfully atrocious I don't even know what I'm hoping for in this.

20 minutes ago, SnoGirl said:

Is....is that the scene in The Death Cure movie in the trailer that put Dylan O'Brien out of comission? Because if it is, wow. That's kinda crazy its so front and center in the trailer...

That's what I was thinking. It's hard to watch with that in mind.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Joe said:

That's what I was thinking. It's hard to watch with that in mind.

I literally watched that scene with my jaw on the ground. Its an action scene (and looks like Mad Max) but it absolutely has to be the scene. When I see the movie, all Im going to be able to think about is when did Dylan almost lose his face/head to a stunt...

• Love 1
5 hours ago, CofCinci said:

Well, the movie has sat on a shelf for 10 years. 

Yeah they could have done this at any time. Reality cooking competitions have been big for a while. I wonder if the battle for the title of Chef between the films Chef and Burnt and then the box office bombing of Burnt (I don't know how Chef did) scares people away from the concept.

I feel like... choices were made. Aside from how it was filmed, it feels really hampered by casting in the acting (and presumably the quality of some of the singing). I will watch it. Because it has Audra and Cheyenne. But despite all the sexual content from the trailer more than anything it looks... boring.

I'm not really a horror person, but man, I'm all for superhero movies attempting to break out of the usual template and embrace other genres/styles. Although it probably helps that I've never read the comics and have no attachment to the characters.

3 hours ago, BetterButter said:

PHANTOM THREAD 

Hmm, it doesn't really look like what I'd expect from a PTA film or a Daniel Day-Lewis performance. Certainly nothing like their last collaboration.

Which is kind of intriguing actually.

3 hours ago, AshleyN said:

Hmm, it doesn't really look like what I'd expect from a PTA film or a Daniel Day-Lewis performance. Certainly nothing like their last collaboration.

Which is kind of intriguing actually.

One thing you can say about DDL, he rarely treads the same ground twice. We'll see if it's actually his farewell.

22 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

It's really, really, really inappropriate for I Love You, Daddy to be coming out right now.

Plus, what's the point of the black and white?

Why? 

I saw the trailer for "My Friend Dahmer," and thought, "Hey, I read a graphic novel with that name," and it turns out it's based on that book. And then I realized the Ross Lynch playing Dahmer is Ross Lynch of "Austin & Ally," a Disney boy of sweetness and non-threatening sexuality. 

Phantom Thread: It looks pretty and I'd probably enjoy it. But... I'm not sure that when it comes to fashion, the straight male story is the one that's really clamoring to be represented. How is that even with things coded "feminine" (fashion, cooking, etc.) we still seem to be getting so much of the male perspective, especially when it comes to professional characters with expertise? It's less of a problem with professions like teaching and nursing though I think women are still governesses and teachers while men are more often college professors and women are nurses while men are doctors. 

4 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Because it's about a big wig show biz type having an affair with an underaged girl.

Yeah, I got a little creeped out watching the preview and wondered if they should put off the release for a while.  It really is bad timing. 

• Love 1

Last Flag Flying: The casting is so great. But that movie seems so boring. Not mumblecore but whatever the Richard Linklater equivalent of that is.

Mark Felt: The Man Who Brought Down the White House: Well, every foreigner isn't able to do an American accent... This also looks boring... in a different way.

Killing Gunther: So hard to tell with SNL movies. Kind of into Arnold being a psycho goofball... But the "team" feels trope-y in a bad way. Sanaa being the overly capable female character. And one of the twins to be like... no look, there are TWO girls. Sigh... Yeah, thinking this is going to be quickly forgotten.

Brawl in Cell Block 99: The dialogue in the trailer is... very mumbly. I didn't watch Dexter. Has that actress always been so thin? I feel like this will be an interesting role for Vince Vaughn... but I'm not sure I care about the movie around him.

All The Money in the World: Music in the trailer was great. Whoever did the voiceover does NOT have a voice for narration. And a lot of the shots in the trailer made me think... oh, yeah, I've seen this movie before. I feel like I wanted more of a sense of the 70's and not just all the tropes of big movies these days down to the terrible filters and high contrast I manage to avoid by watching TV and the particular films I watch.

Red Sparrow: I feel like Jennifer Lawrence still hasn't lost her baby face enough to look right for a lot of roles she's getting cast in. Also on the empowering to exploitative spectrum it feels much closer to the exploitative side. Did Joel Edgerton write this? Why do people keep casting him in things? I feel like he's in that club of fairly bland white guys who inexplicably get consistent work. They're not really famous enough to have box office power and they're not particularly great actors or charismatic screen presences. Maybe they're great at auditions or people really like them?

I know this was suppose to tug at my heartstrings and everything, but my main reactions were a) hey, Chris Hemsworth and Elsa Pataky are playing a married couple like in real life!, b) forget Jesse Eisenberg, I want Bald William Fichtner as the new Lex Luthor, and c) Rob Riggle out of nowhere!

20 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

I know this was suppose to tug at my heartstrings and everything, but my main reactions were a) hey, Chris Hemsworth and Elsa Pataky are playing a married couple like in real life!, b) forget Jesse Eisenberg, I want Bald William Fichtner as the new Lex Luthor, and c) Rob Riggle out of nowhere!

Rob Riggle, who was a real life Marine reserve officer, playing an Army officer no less.

I'm looking forward to this, the book was excellent.

4 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Red Band trailer for I, Tonya:

Allison Janney kills it, natch, but Margot Robbie brings the goods.

This feels like such a David O'Russell movie without being a David O'Russell movie. Definitely looking forward to it.

I loved watching Tonya Harding skate, to an extent that hasn't been replicated before or since in my lifetime.  I couldn't stand Nancy Kerrigan.  (She didn't deserve to have her knee clubbed, if that needs to be stated.)  Tonya's fucked-up family situation, such that marrying someone like Jeff Gillooly was a given, is an interesting story.  Tonya's "red-headed stepchild" status within the skating world, despite her talent, is an interesting story.  I'd watch Allison Janney read the phone book.  So, yeah, I am all over this.  

• Love 3

Last Flag Flying: The casting is so great. But that movie seems so boring. Not mumblecore but whatever the Richard Linklater equivalent of that is.

Mark Felt: The Man Who Brought Down the White House: Well, every foreigner isn't able to do an American accent... This also looks boring... in a different way.

Killing Gunther: So hard to tell with SNL movies. Kind of into Arnold being a psycho goofball... But the "team" feels trope-y in a bad way. Sanaa being the overly capable female character. And one of the twins to be like... no look, there are TWO girls. Sigh... Yeah, thinking this is going to be quickly forgotten.

Brawl in Cell Block 99: The dialogue in the trailer is... very mumbly. I didn't watch Dexter. Has that actress always been so thin? I feel like this will be an interesting role for Vince Vaughn... but I'm not sure I care about the movie around him.

I, Tonya: I don't know. Maybe I need to watch more of her movies (I haven't watched one all the way through and I'm still mainly thinking of her horrible acting in Pan Am) but Margot Robbie doesn't seem that impressive. It certainly seems vulgar. Alison Janney looks great as always. Sebastian Stan will probably be a fun weirdo. I will definitely check it out but I'm not sold that it's a great movie just from the trailer. It's reading like a mid-level indie that you catch on Netflix and think "oh, that wasn't bad but it had some structural issues" or something like that.