Type keyword(s) to search

Trailers & New Movies: Coming Soon to a Cinema Near You!

• Start Topic

I didn't know if Disney would be getting any of my money in the near future.  Dumbo was a non-starter; I cried way too much when I saw the animated version, so no thank you. But I am a total sucker for penguins.  I'm already in love with Steve.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, amaranta said:

I didn't know if Disney would be getting any of my money in the near future.  Dumbo was a non-starter; I cried way too much when I saw the animated version, so no thank you. But I am a total sucker for penguins.  I'm already in love with Steve.

I'd love to know exactly where in Antarctica they filmed this.  I'm going to have to go just to see if I recognize any of the places.  Plus Adelies are my favorite penguins (despite having chinstraps in my avatar!).

• Love 2

"Eh, looks like a Greece/Turkey spin on Romeo and Juliet maybe? WAIT IS THAT CHRISTOPHER PLUMMER!?!?"

RE: Cliffs of Freedom 

You noticed Plummer, I was immediately like... why is Patti Lupone doing this... BILLY ZANE!?! I'm kind of into it. It looks like an old school epic. But I feel like if I actually watched it, it would incredibly boring.

RE: Booksmart

It feels a little like the new Easy A. Like, no one believes this is accurate to high school and it's a little too clever for its own good but still very entertaining.

• Love 1

I don't know if I love the character design. Especially Morticia. It's a little too Corpse Bride. She's always been thin but sexy and I think it's helped that she's been brought to life by actual women and not just a cartoon. This is far more emaciated without the curves (which made her seem more like a woman with normal-ish proportions who had undergone fetish-y waist training/corsetry). This new version is more heroin chic. I do think Charlize Theron has chosen a decent voice for the character but her accent seems slippery.

Tentatively positive about Oscar Isaac as Gomez.

I hate the new Wednesday. WTF is that?

I do like some of the backgrounds and I'm interested in what they'll be able to do in animation that they can't do in live action. But this already seems like the weakest version in terms of the characters and the characters have always been my favorite part of the Addams Family. It starts with the characters, the effects and gimmicks are just the bonus. 

16 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Luc Besson, up to his usual nonsense:

True, but at least this looks like entertaining nonsense. Lucy didn't look entertaining. And Valerian really wasn't.

• Love 2
On 4/12/2019 at 8:47 PM, AimingforYoko said:

"Entertaining nonsense" was my two word review for Lucy.

That action scene is quite good. But I have seen this story a zillion times. Might be good if it was a sequel of sorts to Nikita. 

• Love 1

RE: The Perfection 

So like Single White Female + Black Swan + body horror?

Pass. I feel like sometimes Netflix pays for a Beyonce Coachella documentary but they got scared after wasting a lot of money on things like Sense8 and The Get Down and now they make a lot of middle of the road shows/movies that are knock offs of things that are already popular. This looks like one of those. I'm not saying you can't make something good on a smaller budget but they can be very hit or miss. 

Teaser for Terminator: Dark Fate. While I'd love to love this, I don't. I really don't feel it at all. The music isn't up to much. Outside that, I can't even tell you what's wrong. Anyone want to give me hope?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Anduin said:

Teaser for Terminator: Dark Fate. While I'd love to love this, I don't. I really don't feel it at all. The music isn't up to much. Outside that, I can't even tell you what's wrong. Anyone want to give me hope?

I just don't see how they can create a logical timeline given all of the movie materiel they will have to retcon. (Salvation, Genysis, Rise?)

Maybe they will just pretend the later movies never occurred.

Good to see Linda Hamilton though.

On 5/23/2019 at 12:34 PM, WritinMan said:

I loved Terminator and T2, but I kinda don't really care about this franchise anymore.

Eh, I'll probably still rent it.

I feel like they've wrung everything out of Terminator they possibly can. It's just time to let this franchise die.

6 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

The Current War, with Benedict Cumberbatch as Thomas Edison, Nicholas Hoult as Nikola Tesla, and Michael Shannon as George Westinghouse, fighting over whose electric system would be come the standard.

2 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

You know what would be a good documentary? The story of what happened to this movie.

The Current War was originally a release under The Weinstein Company and debuted at the 2017 Toronto International Film Festival to not-great or even good reviews. The cut that screened was not the director's vision but a rush job Harvey approved. Early awards buzz did not pan out and about a month later Weinstein had way bigger problems. Due to contractual wrangling (involving Martin Scorsese) the movie was spared from a quick international release by another studio, new scenes were filmed and the version that will be released is shorter than the original cut.

https://deadline.com/2019/04/the-current-war-alfonso-gomez-rejon-harvey-weinstein-martin-scorsese-101-studios-edison-westinghouse-battle-film-deal-1202586812/

The movie could still be a mess but they've cut a better trailer than before:

• Love 1
On 6/5/2019 at 8:59 PM, VCRTracking said:

Under what logic is Brad Pitt, Tommy Lee Jones's son, sent on the mission to find and possibly kill Jones?  Wouldn't pretty much every other person on Earth be a better choice?

I mean, for all we know, he might be able to do it…but I can't see anyone in the military signing off on a decision which could so obviously blow up in their faces.

• Love 3
On 2/12/2019 at 7:43 PM, Shannon L. said:

This could be fun:

Yesterday

As it's opening tomorrow (pun?), I figured I should weigh in.

I cringe every single time I see this advertised.  It feels incredibly disrespectful to me.  I mean John was murdered because he made that music.  (And it's as if it's pissing on George's grave as well.  And no, I don't care if Yoko approves;  she's human, she can be wrong.)

And it gives short shrift to everyone else's involvement as well, from George Martin to Billy Preston to Stu Sutcliffe back when.  The idea that Himesh Patel remembers and can recreate every detail of every arrangement, with absolutely no records available?  Preposterous.  Or maybe he just remembers the melody line and (if he's lucky) (most of) the lyrics?  Well, that's really not the same, is it?

And Kate McKinnon is talking about what a great "album" it's going to be.  So, we're just going to take the entire catalogue and telescope it into a "greatest hits" package, is that it?  Never mind the musical evolution, the Beatles' personal and political growth?  The way John's view of love changed from "I Want to Hold Your Hand" to "Norwegian Wood" to "The Ballad of John and Yoko", that's all gone, is it?  It's just a bunch of tunes thrown together so that Himesh can pull another hit out of his pocket when he needs one?  Blech.

Oh, and it's even seeming a bit racist to me.  "How could we improve on the Beatles?" "Well, if they weren't a bunch of white guys, but some SJW-approved South Asian…"  No.  Just no.  They are who they are/were;  I don't need Himesh hijacking their legacy.

It would be one thing if the whole project was just a set-up to savage the modern music industry and take a huge shit on today's idea of music.  But, barring a few jokes where Ed Sheeran (how much of his "acting" could I take, I wonder?) suggests rancid "improvements" in the lyrics, I doubt we're going there.  I haven't seen the scene where KMcK suggests a nice thick coat of auto-tune, or having Ludacris do a guest verse or whatever.  I don't see a cavalcade of Taylor Swiftian circus dancers backing up Himesh, or a backing choir the size of all three Birminghams stuffed together.  Just Himesh and his guitar, left "pure" by an industry that would never do that, not when there's money involved. 

(And I don't think this would overcome my other objections, anyhow.  Be a bit grumpy, tbh.  It's not as though the music industry in the 1960s was so goddamned idealistic, anyhow.  Brian Epstein only signed the group because he was hot for John, allegedly.)

Apparently the film tells a story I don't have an interest in seeing, and triggers me in oh-so-many-ways.  Pass, and pass quickly, please.  But JMO.

(edited)

I don't know if you've ever heard of Kung Fury, but it's a hilarious totally insane short about a Kung Fu cop in Miami who travels back in time to kill Adolf Hitler, the Kung Fu master known as Kung Fuhrer.  Along the way in his time travels, he encounters Vikings and dinosaurs.

Here is the original:

Anyway, there's a full length sequel in the works, starring Michael Fassbender, Arnold Schwatzeneggar, and David Hasselhof.

https://hnentertainment.co/michael-fassbenders-kung-fury-2-expected-to-add-american-sniper-cinematographer-tom-stern/

The Hoff had a cameo in the original, and sang the music video associated with the insane original.

Edited by Silver Raven
  • Love 1

I'm not feeling it yet. 

1) Why is the camera so pulled back? Like, so in a crowd scene, everyone looks tiny and you feel far away? Maybe this will translate better on a big screen but it seems like poor direction/cinematography. I have no issue with landscapes and panoramic vistas but this is different. It feels at a remove.

2) The accents are weird. Some actors are clearly American. Others are not. I wonder how this will read to other people.

3) The most interesting part is the period piece vibe. I got it most strongly with the matchmaker scene. I'm not sure it's what I want... but at least it's a choice.

4) Fight sequences looking very washed out. I feel like they're definitely going for realism. Again, not sure that's what I want. I like a little gloss. I like things to look cinematic. Like, can you film on a day when it's not overcast and cloudy? But I can see that part of the movie being compelling. 

5) I liked that quick moment with the hawk/falcon. That's the kind of richness and style I'm looking for. Colors with depth.

6) The actress is pretty stone-faced in most of these clips. Personality and charisma can do a lot. I'm curious what the performances will be like.

7) Definitely highly influenced by Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

• Love 2