Type keyword(s) to search

Trailers & New Movies: Coming Soon to a Cinema Near You!

• Start Topic

While I'm still not sure if I'm fully sold on Creed, I actually really loved how they did the trailer.  Had I not seen the name, I honestly would have gone in thinking it was just a regular boxing movie with Michael B. Jordan, only to go "Wait, what?!" when they show that Rocky/Apollo picture, and then Stallone himself shows up, and then it hits me what I'm actually watching.  So, I'm more interested now. Plus, I loved the bit with Jordan and Wood Harris, because that of course made me think that Wallace and Avon Barksdale from The Wire, have reunited.

I want to like Steve Jobs, but it really does feel like The Social Network, with Jobs as Mark Zuckenberg, and Wozinak managing to be both Eduardo and the Winklevoss twins.  Hopefully the actual film will be much different.

• Love 1
(edited)

I think the difference is the prominent role of a female character with Kate Winslet(who I didn't recognize at first) as Joanna Hoffman. I know there's that joke from the Amy Schumer Show Aaron Sorkin spoof about how a woman written by Sorkin, that her only purpose is to "make a great man GREATER."   Looking Hoffman up and Wikipedia though:

Hoffman had a reputation at both Apple and NeXT as one of the few who could successfully engage with Jobs.[2] In both 1981 and 1982, she won a satirical award at Apple given to "the person who did the best job of standing up to" Jobs (Jobs was aware of the award and liked it)

Edited by VCRTracking

Funny that James Franco gets the first credit after Nicole Kidman but doesn't appear at all in the trailer.  And why is he playing a British Lord?  And Robert Pattinson is rather young to be playing Lawrence, isn't he?

Pattinson is 29. Lawrence was 27 when he met Gertrude Bell in 1915.

They had me at "A Film By Werner Herzog".

Reading her Wikipedia page Gertrude Bell does deserve to have a movie made of her life and to be much more well known today:

Gertrude Margaret Lowthian Bell, CBE (14 July 1868 – 12 July 1926) was an English writer, traveller, political officer, administrator, spy and archaeologist who explored, mapped, and became highly influential to British imperial policy-making due to her knowledge and contacts, built up through extensive travels in Greater Syria, Mesopotamia, Asia Minor, and Arabia. Along with T. E. Lawrence, Bell helped establish the Hashemite dynasties in what is today Jordan as well as in Iraq.[2]

She played a major role in establishing and helping administer the modern state of Iraq, utilising her unique perspective from her travels and relations with tribal leaders throughout the Middle East. During her lifetime she was highly esteemed and trusted by British officials and given an immense amount of power for a woman at the time. She has been described as "one of the few representatives of His Majesty's Government remembered by the Arabs with anything resembling affection".[3]

Funny that James Franco gets the first credit after Nicole Kidman but doesn't appear at all in the trailer.

He's in there, twice, I think, but it's quick.  I made sure not to turn it off until after they showed the names of the actors so I could be sure I saw who I thought I saw. For some reason it surprised me that he would be in a film like this (I don't know why, but I was surprised).

They had me at "A Film By Werner Herzog".

I felt a bit lukewarm when I watched the trailer. I've always liked Kidman, but I know well enough not to exactly follow her to every movie. However, when Herzog's name came on; it pushed my percentage to seeing this movie at least 20% higher.

He's in there, twice, I think, but it's quick.  I made sure not to turn it off until after they showed the names of the actors so I could be sure I saw who I thought I saw. For some reason it surprised me that he would be in a film like this (I don't know why, but I was surprised).

I think I know what you mean? In the brief moments we saw him in the trailer, he's basically making out with Kidman. I'm not bowled over by that brief glimpse of their chemistry. I blame him more. Heh.

They have based a biopic on a really interesting woman, but I'm not sure if the movie will do well. Even with an alright cast and a great director, it looks like the pacing doesn't lend itself to being a good movie trailer. Then again, lots of movies don't do well as trailer. Wait and see I guess.

I can't get over JGL's accent here. For all I know, it could be entirely accurate, but I'm so used to JGL's American accent that it still sounds fake. 

I cannot find words to fully express how much I do not care about a tight-rope walker.

• Love 4
I cannot find words to fully express how much I do not care about a tight-rope walker.

I don't care about the storyline, but I feel like it would be something to watch in 3D or IMAX. I'm kinda scared of heights and I got vertigo just watching the trailer, so watching it on the big screen would be even cooler. But cool enough to the point where I'm willing to shell out $20? Maybe not. 

• Love 1

I can't get over JGL's accent here. For all I know, it could be entirely accurate, but I'm so used to JGL's American accent that it still sounds fake. 

He doesn't look a thing like the guy, but the accent is decently spot on - it probably helps that Joseph Gordon-Levitt speaks fluent french.

Is it weird that I'm most excited to see Ben Schwartz in the movie?

• Love 1

Just the scene of him looking over the edge made me ill.  I'll pass on this one.

Yup, got a nightmare after watching this. Based on reviews, I might rent one day to watch on a small tv screen because I like JGL, but there is no way I will see this in theaters.

• Love 1

can't get over JGL's accent here. For all I know, it could be entirely accurate, but I'm so used to JGL's American accent that it still sounds fake.

I can't look at JGL's fake blue contacts. He looks alien to me. 

From Columbia Pictures, the studio that gave you such cinematic classics as It Happened One Night, On The Waterfront, The Bridge on The River Kwai, From Here To Eternity and All The King's Men, now comes.....Pixels

Oh how the mighty have fallen......who green lit this shit?

• Love 2

From Columbia Pictures, the studio that gave you such cinematic classics as It Happened One Night, On The Waterfront, The Bridge on The River Kwai, From Here To Eternity and All The King's Men, now comes.....Pixels

Okay, I know the movie is going to be horrible, because Adam Sandler. But I really want to see my favorite nostalgic video game characters wrecking shit.

• Love 2

Okay, I'm not opposed in principle to the forthcoming Ghostbusters movie. What I don't like though, is the uniforms. Those stripes are ugly. And for some reason, they're on the boots too. Not a good look.

Is the remake set in the 80s?  Or do they just have a super retro car?  Because being "period" might tip me over from kind of uncertain to definitively opposed.

Ricki and the Flash:

The trailer just told the whole movie and this is more Oscar bait, but Meryl really can carry a film.

I just fundamentally do not understand her hair.  It's not a permanent 'do -- it's not shaved, it's not dreaded.  She has to braid that every day.  WHY would she put in the same ugly-ass braid every day?  EVERY SINGLE DAY for EVERY SINGLE EVENT?

Oscar Nomination #4 for JLaw?

Ugh!  Why is Jennifer Lawrence even in this movie?  Isn't she awfully young to be playing Joy Mangano?  

The movie looks like a checklist for Oscar-bait:

• Base on "real life" - CHECK
  • Plucky heroine - CHECK
  • Divorced mother over-coming the odds - CHECK
  • Crying "emotional" scene - CHECK

UGH is right. Classic David O'Russell trailer that tells you next to nothing about the plot, and hits all the Oscar bait checkpoints. I still feel like she's way too young to play Joy Mangano, although if I didn't already know who JM was, this trailer would not help in the slightest. I don't mind JL, but I'm dreading another awards season of the hype surrounding her.

• Love 1

I don't know who Joy is, and the trailer made no sense to me. Certainly did not make me want to see the whole thing. I don't get the hype surrounding Jennifer. She is fine, nothing newsworthy.

• Love 2
(edited)

David O. Russell really thinks he's Martin Scorsese, doesn't he? Dolly shots, Rolling Stones music, etc... I don't know. I still think Jennifer Lawrence has two notes on her acting range- loud and stoic. In this one she's back to stoic, at least for most of this trailer. Could be Katniss Everdeen as Joy here.

Plus, it really bothers me that people think she must have a nomination slot "reserved" for her just because she has a movie out. I mean who is she, Meryl Streep now? Jesus, come on. She's not even that great.

Edited by Ruby25
  • Love 1

I hope this gets nominated for nothing not because of Jennifer Lawrence or DOR ( well, maybe a little because of DOR ) but because they had it listed for 2016's Oscar predictions before the 2015 Oscars even took place! If the academy really wants to get people interested in the Oscars again, go against the formula once in a while. You know, the whole reason why so many people fell in love with Jennifer Lawrence to begin with? Her nomination for a film that was and is still not widely viewed and that she was a refreshing unknown amongst all the usual suspects. Maybe it will look like the academy is actually watching all the films.

In fairness to the casting of Jennifer Lawrence, I think the movie is supposed to follow Joy from her teens on. If they are going the route of one actress playing the same role over time, it might be easier to age someone in the middle of the ages portrayed.

That being said, I definitely thought she was hanging out with her younger siblings rather than her kids in that one snippet in the trailer.

• Love 1
(edited)

Plus, it really bothers me that people think she must have a nomination slot "reserved" for her just because she has a movie out. I mean who is she, Meryl Streep now? Jesus, come on. She's not even that great.

I'm not sure anyone thinks that. But when you have a director and an actor who are both on major hot streaks critically and commercially, and whose previous two collaborations resulted in the actor winning one Oscar and very nearly winning a second a year later, there's a decent chance that their latest collaboration will lead to another nomination at least.

Edited by AshleyN
  • Love 2

But then there's a narrative that will push it to happen even if the movie's not all that. It's happened before. Meryl Streep gets nominated for just about every movie she does now that comes out in the fall, and you know what? Many of them are no longer deserved, her name's just being checked for a slot instead of someone else who might really deserve it (or at least benefit from acknowledgment of a performance, which is no longer the case for Meryl Streep).

• Love 5
I'm not sure anyone thinks that. But when you have a director and an actor who are both on major hot streaks critically and commercially, and whose previous two collaborations resulted in the actor winning one Oscar and very nearly winning a second a year later, there's a decent chance that their latest collaboration will lead to another nomination at least.

I agree. I don't think Jennifer Lawrence is getting Oscar buzz just because she's Jennifer Lawrence. She's getting Oscar buzz because the combination of DOR, Bradley Cooper, and Jennifer Lawrence is now the official entry for "Oscar Bait" in the dictionary. No one was trying to throw awards at her for Serena is all I'm saying.

Meryl Streep on the other hand could get nominated for reading the phone book, regardless of who directed the picture.

• Love 1
(edited)

Sisters looks really bad.

I was very disappointed in the trailer because I was beside myself when I found out they were doing another movie together but this looks painfully unfunny.

Also, O'Russell is really making the same movie over and over again. This is the movie about the woman who invented the Swiffer mop or something, right?

Edited by funkopop
  • Love 1