Type keyword(s) to search

Trailers & New Movies: Coming Soon to a Cinema Near You!

• Start Topic

I actually prefer the first Pan trailer to the following two.  The first one had the right mix of mystery, and adventure.

I agree. The more I see, the less I'm interested.

• Love 2
(edited)

I don't know about Leo, but the cinematography race may already be over.

Agreed. That would be three in a row for Emmanuel Lubezki too.

Edited by AshleyN

Yes, great editing and cinematography on The Revenant trailer. I really enjoyed the music and sound effects as well. It's one of the best trailers I've seen lately. It has a wonderful cast as well. It's definitely Oscar bait. I'm glad that it took the right director and cast to get it made finally.

• Love 1

Yes, great editing and cinematography on The Revenant trailer. I really enjoyed the music and sound effects as well. It's one of the best trailers I've seen lately. It has a wonderful cast as well. It's definitely Oscar bait. I'm glad that it took the right director and cast to get it made finally.

That it is ---- and this is how you do Oscar Bait, not that Joy movie.

• Love 1

Hunnam is looking yummy in the EW spread.  Though the first look photoset is hilariously incongruous to the presumably edgier Arthur that Ritchie claims to be going for in the film. I'm in tears over the "Arthur lounges in the boat, gently cradling his sword and gazing dreamily into the camera" picture. 

One of the best takedowns since Roger Ebert's review of North:

MovieBob reviews Pixels.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!  That was... vitriolic.  (Also, my YouTube is set to auto-play so it automatically started playing the review for Jurassic World and I got to hear Chris Pratt's character described as "a set of Chuck Norris facts that fused and gained intelligence" which is amazing enough that I will overlook his description of BDH's character as "the head scientist" which demonstrates a substantial failure to absorb one of the few and basic facts of the story.)

• Love 1

You must be new here.

I'm not actually.The trailer is kind of incoherent but it does not necessarily look horrible.

It was a joke. Sort of. Depending on what you read/believe, the trailer being incoherent is the least of the issues with the movie. 'Cause, y'know, Jennifer Lawrence isn't really old enough to play the mother of three kids, and we must have authenticity.

(edited)

I'm more rolling my eyes at the entire existence of the movie. The synopsis and trailer could pass as a parody of an Oscar bait movie.

Very much like For Your Consideration.

I think Joy would be infinitely more interesting if Christopher Guest were involved.

Edited by OakGoblinFly
(edited)

I don't know about Leo, but the cinematography race may already be over.

There is a lot of grey which can be ugly but it looks great. 

Edited by Oreo2234

It's the story of a woman who invented a mop and became a home network shopping queen. What the hell is this trailer trying to portray here?

Wait, she invented a mop? Seriously? Does it cure cancer? Why do we need a movie about this?

Well to be fair.  Joy Mangano is an interesting successful business woman in her own right.  So it is nice to see a biopic of a successful woman come into her own.  My issue is with the trailer itself, not Joy or her story. 

• Love 5
(edited)

Well to be fair. Joy Mangano is an interesting successful business woman in her own right. So it is nice to see a biopic of a successful woman come into her own. My issue is with the trailer itself, not Joy or her story.

I'm not questioning the real Joy's accomplishments, but that doesn't mean those accomplishments translate well to a biopic. It's pretty much why many biopics feel the same, without a certain amount of struggle shown the audience doesn't feel invested in the story. John Denver got a small screen treatment in the 90's and the reviews for it pretty much said hit songs and a tragic death didn't make a need for the biopic treatment. And I love John Denver!

It's also why I don't take the biopics as gospel.

Edited by raezen
  • Love 1

Well to be fair.  Joy Mangano is an interesting successful business woman in her own right.  So it is nice to see a biopic of a successful woman come into her own.  My issue is with the trailer itself, not Joy or her story. 

I'm trying to understand the tone here. It's trying to sell me a gritty drama, complete with bleakly lighted scenes and gun shots and people getting arrested, while the story sounds like it would have been better suited for a lighthearted Hallmark channel movie starring Lacey Chabert in a blonde wig as Joy.

(edited)

Regarding Joy: from what I understand David O. Russell did a pretty extensive rewrite of the original script and it's now only very loosely based on Mangano's life, with a lot of original material in there (much like American Hustle I believe). I read somewhere they even changed the names of the characters from their real-life versions to reflect this, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Also, I don't really care one way or the other about this film, but I think people are getting too caught up in the whole "invented a mop" thing. The impression I've gotten is that the main thrust of the story will be Joy working her way toward power and success, and dealing with all of the perks and pitfalls that come with it. There have been plenty of movies about men that deal with those themes, so why should the one about a woman be dismissed as frivolous or silly just because of the means by which she achieved success?

Edited by AshleyN
  • Love 6

Also, I don't really care one way or the other about this film, but I think people are getting too caught up in the whole "invented a mop" thing. The impression I've gotten is that the main thrust of the story will be Joy working her way toward power and success, and dealing with all of the perks and pitfalls that come with it. There have been plenty of movies about men that deal with those themes, so why should the one about a woman be dismissed as frivolous or silly just because of the means by which she achieved success?

To be fair, I'm not interested in movies about men that deal with similar themes. 

• Love 1

Up against Mad Max: Fury Road?

I looooooved Fury Road and I would celebrate it getting any awards anyone wants to throw at it, but I have my doubts that the Oscars will embrace such a straight-up action movie outside of the designated special effects/sound categories.

(edited)

I love Elizabeth Moss from Mad Men and this trailer for Queen of Earth, a psychological thriller from IFC Films has this awesome retro 1970s feel with the narration:

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2

To be fair, I'm not interested in movies about men that deal with similar themes.

Yeah, the comparison that I saw in another thread was to the film Greg Kinnear did in the 90's about the guy who invented a better windshield wiper. I don't remember it either.

• Love 1

I'm really tired of seeing Tom Cruise hanging from an airplane.

I agree! I mean, I'm very impressed that he's doing these stunts himself, but the novelty has worn off. Especially since the remainder of his movies haven't lived up to the excitement of his stunts. 

• Love 2

[sarcasm font] For the same reason white moviegoers don't want to see people who aren't just like them in movies, obviously.[/sarcasm font]

Regarding Joy: from what I understand David O. Russell did a pretty extensive rewrite of the original script and it's now only very loosely based on Mangano's life, with a lot of original material in there (much like American Hustle I believe). I read somewhere they even changed the names of the characters from their real-life versions to reflect this, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

If that's true than that's even more aggravating IMO. That just tells me nobody was really interested in telling Joy's story, but simply how many Oscars they can snag for this thing. I don't mind the story, but the trailer just looked like your usual Weinstein-friendly "For your consideration" stuff.

• Love 2

And if the trailer gave a hint of that story, it would have been fine.  As it is, the trailer as presented just screams "Oscar Bait"  - we'll see if that changes when additional trailers are released.

• Love 1