Type keyword(s) to search

Trailers & New Movies: Coming Soon to a Cinema Near You!

• Start Topic

(Apparently I was into Dad Bods before that was a thing.)

I don't think it actually is a thing. Not that there's anything wrong with liking that. I just don't buy that young women as a group love "dadbods". 

(edited)

Wasn't there like a magic element to the show? You would think they would have kept that in to appeal to the kids. It seems really odd that they went with this. It doesn't even look campy fun like Josie and the Pussycats, which also basically covered the same thing. I mean really, is this trying to be a music drama? How is this supposed to appeal to Generation Xers and their little kids?

I mean, I remember the show but it wasn't my thing. Captain Planet was. I Shudder to think what they might do to it if the proposed live-action movie happens.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1

I don't think it actually is a thing. Not that there's anything wrong with liking that. I just don't buy that young women as a group love "dadbods". 

I didn't think it was, either, but suddenly it's all over the media.  I guess they got tired of talking about Tom Brady's deflated balls.

Wasn't there like a magic element to the show? You would think they would have kept that in to appeal to the kids. It seems really odd that they went with this. It doesn't even look campy fun like Josie and the Pussycats, which also basically covered the same thing. I mean really, is this trying to be a music drama? How is this supposed to appeal to Generation Xers and their little kids?

I mean, I remember the show but it wasn't my thing. Captain Planet was. I Shudder to think what they might do to it if the proposed live-action movie happens.

I agree, Jem was never my thing either and I barely remember it, but also thought there was a magical element to the premise.  I was actually really curious to see how they were going to pull that off.  After watching the trailer it just seems like a generic teen movie about a band. 

First, thank you all for lowering my expectations sufficiently to marginally enjoy the trailer -- so they turned Jem into a second-rate Hannah Montana, Ryan Hansen FTW!!

I was into the show as a kid, but haven't watched it in decades.  My memory is spotty (and indifference is enough to not bother with Google), but I recall Synergy, the computer used to transform Jerrica into Jem.  I think the computer could project other holograms as well.  So it wasn't magic - more like science fiction. 

• Love 2

I just got back from Mad Max. I wasn't fond of the start. A voice-over? Really? You can't just drop in the backstory as the movie goes along? The filming technique was really weird to start with as well. Not at all promising. But about half an hour in, it picked up and never dropped off. Mental, I would call this movie. It's almost entirely action scenes, each crazier than the last.

Fun spotting Aussie actors in small roles. Bob Jelly! What little there was of the plot made sense. Only one odd plot thing I noticed.

Why is Max seeing visions of a little girl? He had a son in the first movie. Maybe in Thunderdome, did one of the tribal girls die?

Also, I noticed something like a functional community there.

Not just two factions. There were the people from the citadel, the hedgehog car people, the canyon people, and the old women. I like a sense of plausibility in my post-apocalyptic wastelands, not just crazy stuff.

All in all, very good for what it set out to do.

(edited)

I actually think The Intern looks really cute. I am such a sucker for Nancy Meyers movies with all of their pretty sets! Plus, I love both De Niro and Hathaway so if the plot is halfway decent I'll be there.

Edited by SallyAlbright
  • Love 1
(edited)

I was into the show as a kid, but haven't watched it in decades.  My memory is spotty (and indifference is enough to not bother with Google), but I recall Synergy, the computer used to transform Jerrica into Jem.  I think the computer could project other holograms as well.  So it wasn't magic - more like science fiction. 

Yeah, and Jerrica was a grown up type person (in her 20s! ancient!) who was a business woman and it was her father's invention that turned her into Jem. And she was able to get her father's music company back from dickface Eric and the Misfits using Synergy to become Jem.

Grrr. Look, I used to skip church to watch Jem when I could get away with it. I stood up the Lord for Jem. If they had done a live action version of the Jem title sequence that would have been EVERYTHING and I'd have tickets bought RIGHT NOW.

This? There's nothing 80s inspired here. This is 90s indie grunge girl putting some David Bowie Aladdin Sane makeup on her face and calling it good. And I fucking LOVE Bowie... but 70s glam is not 80s pop art Patrick Nagel glam.

I'm just... stunned. How could they manage to get EVERYTHING wrong?!

Edited by Dandesun
  • Love 3

I actually think The Intern looks really cute. I am such a sucker for Nancy Meyers movies with all of their pretty sets! Plus, I love both De Niro and Hathaway so if the plot is halfway decent I'll be there.

I probably will be too -- my favourite moment is the end line where she says "how have we gone from Harrison Ford and Jack Nicholson to..."  Honestly, ever since Cher first said it I can't stop thinking: "So okay, I don't want to be a traitor to my generation and all but I don't get how guys dress today. I mean, come on, it looks like they just fell out of bed and put on some baggy pants and take their greasy hair - ew - and cover it up with a backwards cap and like, we're expected to swoon? I don't think so."

• Love 2

I have a terrible confession to make; when I saw the still for The Intern's trailer my thought was "Didn't Anne Hathaway play this type of character in 'The Devil Wears Prada'? Yeah, I have to hand in my feminist card.

Having said that, I'm kind of looking forward to this movie now. I haven't said that about a DeNiro film for a long time.

I have a terrible confession to make; when I saw the still for The Intern's trailer my thought was "Didn't Anne Hathaway play this type of character in 'The Devil Wears Prada'? Yeah, I have to hand in my feminist card.

Having said that, I'm kind of looking forward to this movie now. I haven't said that about a DeNiro film for a long time.

A few people have actually remarked that they could of sold this as a "Devil Wears Prada" sequel.  All they would have to do is change the character's name and get Meryl to shoot a cameo.

A few people have actually remarked that they could of sold this as a "Devil Wears Prada" sequel.  All they would have to do is change the character's name and get Meryl to shoot a cameo.

I could've seen that.

In any event, this actually looks like it could be good. I also appreciate that they're not just "look at those funny old people!" stuff, like they do with the series Younger.

• Love 1

So disappointed in Jem. I grew up watching that cartoon and it was about magic as much as the music. This movie looks like another teen drama about a musical group.

So you're telling me the kid synonymous with immaturity is the prophesied leader of a rebellion tasked with convincing himself and others of his leadership abilities to ultimately defeat the pirates?

(edited)

Love & Mercy looks ... odd.

Both John Cusack and Paul Dano are Brian Wilson?  Huh?

I was wondering if it was like I'm Not There, but I think Paul Dano is playing Wilson post-breakdown. Or something. It's confusing.

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer

I was wondering if it was like I'm Not There, but I think Paul Dano is playing Wilson post-breakdown. Or something. It's confusing.

Funny, I was just thinking that this movie would look so much more appealing to me if they did it as "I'm Not There".  I had high expectations for this and it looks nothing like I thought it would.  Maybe it will surprise me.

Keanu? Is this the  "I don't give a damn, I'm gonna just do me" stage of your career? I'm fine with that, but I will not be seeing this. 

This will probably be breathtaking in theaters, yet I have no interest. Also, I thought the title of the film was specifically derived from surfing, so why are they using the same title? I also have no idea who the lead actor is, but kudos to WB for finding someone as monotone and blank-faced as Keanu twenty-five years later! At least Keanu was hot.  Not sure what's going on with the bad dye job on the lead actor. 

• Love 1

A dying teen movie that isn't romantic. How novel!

Also....a novel. I just brought it for my school's IMC. Guess I have another book to read before my students keep it checked out for months.

This will probably be breathtaking in theaters, yet I have no interest. Also, I thought the title of the film was specifically derived from surfing, so why are they using the same title? I also have no idea who the lead actor is, but kudos to WB for finding someone as monotone and blank-faced as Keanu twenty-five years later! At least Keanu was hot.  Not sure what's going on with the bad dye job on the lead actor. 

My thoughts exactly.  Also, as underwhelming as Keanu can be as an actor, his reputation for being a generally awesome coworker and person makes me like him immensely.  Also... no one can replace Swayze.  SWAYZE!!!

• Love 4

Oh, I like Keanu as well.  I just acknowledge his limitations as an actor.  He has his moments, though!  

Also, from what I remember of the film, it was Swayze's character with the blondish hair, so I was doubly confused with the dye job.  

• Love 1

Oh, I like Keanu as well.  I just acknowledge his limitations as an actor.  He has his moments, though!  

Also, from what I remember of the film, it was Swayze's character with the blondish hair, so I was doubly confused with the dye job.  

Oh  yes -- a blonde early-90s mullet.  It was glorious.

• Love 1

I probably will be too -- my favourite moment is the end line where she says "how have we gone from Harrison Ford and Jack Nicholson to..."  Honestly, ever since Cher first said it I can't stop thinking: "So okay, I don't want to be a traitor to my generation and all but I don't get how guys dress today. I mean, come on, it looks like they just fell out of bed and put on some baggy pants and take their greasy hair - ew - and cover it up with a backwards cap and like, we're expected to swoon? I don't think so."

That moment annoyed the shit out of me, mostly because of a part you left out: "How in one generation have guys gone from Jack Nicholson and Harrison Ford to..." (emphasis added)  But Nicholson and Ford and DeNiro are 78, 72, and 71.  Comparing them to the twenty-something tech bros she employs, that's a gap of two generations.

Also, when DeNiro was 21, that would have been 1965.  It was in fact his generation that ditched the suits of the 50s and previously for jeans, and bell bottoms, and leisure suits, and polyester...

That moment annoyed the shit out of me, mostly because of a part you left out: "How in one generation have guys gone from Jack Nicholson and Harrison Ford to..." (emphasis added)  But Nicholson and Ford and DeNiro are 78, 72, and 71.  Comparing them to the twenty-something tech bros she employs, that's a gap of two generations.

Also, when DeNiro was 21, that would have been 1965.  It was in fact his generation that ditched the suits of the 50s and previously for jeans, and bell bottoms, and leisure suits, and polyester...

Fair enough - Cher was referencing the intermediary generation where it all went to shit. Of course, for me Harrison Ford is the standard by which all other men are judged, so the point stands.

I agree with your point but I think the characters point was more those men were the definition of "manly men" as opposed to wardrobe style.

(edited)

I know that Kristen Stewart has been getting a lot of attention for Clouds of Sils Maria but I would much rather see her here.

Edited by raezen

I know that Kristen Stewart has been getting a lot of attention for Clouds of Sils Maria but I would much rather see her here.

I remember hearing about this when it was announced and thinking it sounded interesting.  This looks really awesome.  I will be there opening weekend.