Type keyword(s) to search

Trailers & New Movies: Coming Soon to a Cinema Near You!

• Start Topic

Interesting, because I've heard it put the other way. If you want to hear the real thing, you can just go out and buy the original album. But you're there watching an actor, why not listen to them? Me, I always like covers. I'm happy to hear the actor doing it.

• Love 10

Re I Saw the Light, I love it. Of course, Tom Hiddleston can do no wrong IMO, so I'm biased. I've got no problem with actors I like doing their own singing in musical biopics. If they've got as much singing talent as they do acting talent, that just makes the film better, from my perspective. If Sissy Spacek & Reese Witherspoon hadn't done their own singing in Coal Miner's Daughter & Walk the Line, they probably wouldn't be Oscar-winners.

• Love 1

I hope Rocky himself doesn't actually die in this. That'd be a bummer. They shouldn't kill off Rocky onscreen, imo. Just wait until Stallone passes someday and then the next Rocky or Creed movie you can mention it, but watching Rocky die would suck.

I actually saw a preview screening of Burnt, and really enjoyed it. Bradley Cooper and Sienna Miller are really good together, and the supporting cast is great. It's nothing incredible story-wise, but a solid dramedy nonetheless.

I know it would have entirely changed his career trajectory and he's probably retroactively happy for the cancellation, but I will always be sad that Bradley Cooper's first turn as a chef in Kitchen Confidential was cancelled after only a few episodes aired.  I've seen all 13 episodes produced and it was hilarious.

• Love 3

Did they list the kid's name at all, that was weird it's like he doesn't matter.  But the movie looks great.

Not trying to be politically incorrect but since he is both brown and a kid, odds are trailer guy was like, "Why bother?" More an indictment of the way Hollywood uses child actors than anything else. 

Edited by PrincessEnnui
  • Love 1

Sarah Silverman in a drama? Looks interesting. Ironically the one thing I don't like about her is her "comedy".

I agree, it will be interesting. Not a fan of her comedy either. I love her as the voice of Andy on Bob's Burgers. Or is she Ollie? Either way, the twins are hilarious.

Edited by turbogirlnyc

I'm confused. Are we supposed to be rooting for a bunch of guys who got rich off the 2008 housing crisis?

Ha!  Bizarrely, yes.  The book positions them as "market outsiders" who warned others of impending doom but, when others refused to heed their warnings, made huge profits off their foresight.  Except the "shorts" that were their genius move (along with John Paulson, chronicled in The Greatest Deal Ever) not only hastened the collapse, they massively magnified the scale of the disaster.  Honestly, the whole thing is virtually the stock manipulation plot from Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit - when it's a Russian fucking with the markets that insidiously it's economic terrorism, when it's entrepreneurial Americans doing it, it's good, old fashioned American ingenuity.

(I should note that the only reason they were able to place the shorts is because the banks were greedy and stupid, so it's their fault too.)

Edited by dusang
  • Love 1

(I should note that the only reason they were able to place the shorts is because the banks were greedy and stupid, so it's their fault too.)

Goldman Sachs wasn't stupid (although technically they weren't a bank at the time). GS was selling investments they knew were bad to customers while shorting them in their own portfolio.

Win win!

• Love 1

Carell! PItt! Bale! Gosling! Zeppelin's "When the Levee Breaks"!

I'm in.  Was I the only one annoyed that Brad Pitt was labeled, "Oscar nominee"?  He is a winner.  Yes, he won for Producing (12 Years A Slave) but an Oscar is an Oscar.

Edited by JBC344
  • Love 2

Goldman Sachs wasn't stupid (although technically they weren't a bank at the time). GS was selling investments they knew were bad to customers while shorting them in their own portfolio.

Win win!

True. I think most of these big shorts and CDS deals went through AIG, which also wasn't a bank.

I guess the whole thing could most aptly be described as a clusterfuck of greed.

• Love 2

The Program starring Ben Foster, Chris O'Dowd, Jesse Plemmons, Lee Pace, Dustin Hoffman. I don't think the movie has a North American distributor yet, but the acting from Foster and O'Dowd looks great.

That's kind of unusual. Somebody who is iconic playing someone who is iconic.

NPR's Pop Culture Happy Hour podcast had their fall preview episode last week and two people saw this at TIFF and said that there was one moment where Redford appeared Rather-esque but otherwise it was impossible to forget that he's Robert Redford.  Overall they said the movie was... not good.

The Program starring Ben Foster, Chris O'Dowd, Jesse Plemmons, Lee Pace, Dustin Hoffman. I don't think the movie has a North American distributor yet, but the acting from Foster and O'Dowd looks great.

This one, on the other hand, they said wasn't necessarily a great film but Foster's Armstrong was very interesting.

What, do sixguns and hunting rifles cause some notably different sorts of injuries than the assault rifles that are scattered throughout modern action flicks? Or maybe someone is throwing beartraps at his foes?

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 4

What, do sixguns and hunting rifles cause some notably different sorts of injuries than the assault rifles that are scattered throughout modern action flicks? Or maybe someone is throwing beartraps at his foes?

The image of Leonardo DiCaprio launching a bear trap at someone just made me lose my shit at my desk, so thank you for that.  

• Love 3