Type keyword(s) to search

The Great British Baking Show On PBS

• Start Topic

18 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I'm in the Bay Area (CA), and they've aired the episodes in conjunction with what the mods put up each week. They aired Tudor Week last night. I don't understand why frigging NEW YORK can't get its act together. Or why the PHX just saw the finale (sounds like they got doubled up some weeks). 

Get your act together, PBS! I realize that this is the last season that we'll get of this format with the change from BBC, but geez, give the viewers a little respect. 

Each PBS station decides it's own programming, they aren't like regular networks. That's why it's different all over the place.

Final two episodes in the Bay Area this Friday as well, per my DVR. I wish they weren't burning them off like this, but August is apparently pledge month, and I guess KQED doesn't want to deprive us of all those Joan Baez, Simon & Garfunkle and Motown specials. Again. Some more.

• Love 3

My PBS station has been on a different schedule than any of them here that I've seen, (we got episodes 4 and 5 together in the same week), and it looks like we get episode 9 this week, and 10 next week. I'm fine with that, because I feel like we are in the end of an era, and I don't mind prolonging that. (I'm very oddly sentimental about this show.) I am, however, miffed that we get none of the historical blurbs at the end, and instead, every single week we get a PBS commercial saying if we give a certain amount of $$, we can get PBS passport, and have all the episodes unlocked at once. 

2 hours ago, estellasmum said:

My PBS station has been on a different schedule than any of them here that I've seen, (we got episodes 4 and 5 together in the same week), and it looks like we get episode 9 this week, and 10 next week. I'm fine with that, because I feel like we are in the end of an era, and I don't mind prolonging that. (I'm very oddly sentimental about this show.) I am, however, miffed that we get none of the historical blurbs at the end, and instead, every single week we get a PBS commercial saying if we give a certain amount of $$, we can get PBS passport, and have all the episodes unlocked at once. 

I feel the same way, I'm going to miss this version of the show because we will never have it again. I will have to say (again) that his season is not  as good as previous seasons, there is something missing. I don't understand why the showstoppers are so unlike previous seasons, is it the show telling them not to go so big, or is it a choice by the contestants? And yes, I miss the things that used to be at the end, why aren't they showing them? It's another reason why this season isn't as good IMO.

• Love 2

I just finished watching season 4 on PBS and I'm confused where exactly one is suppose to post? I went to S04 and that is not the correct place (I just got a huge spoiler for who wins a different season) :(

1 hour ago, dleighg said:

The one that was just aired on PBS was actual season 7 on BBC. It's just that it's the 4th season for PBS. Confusing, I know. 

That is sooo confusing. So how many seasons are there 7 or 4?

I just found this show this season though PBS. I was going to watch season 1 on Netflix, but knowing who wins kind of ruins it for me. Guess I'll just watch season 2 & 3 now.

11 minutes ago, Fireball said:

I just found this show this season though PBS. I was going to watch season 1 on Netflix, but knowing who wins kind of ruins it for me. Guess I'll just watch season 2 & 3 now.

I caught the first 45 minutes of the finale on a plane (missed the final reveal when we were about to land), and it didn't really ruin it too much to watch earlier episodes. They are all fun!

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, Fireball said:

That is sooo confusing. So how many seasons are there 7 or 4?

Yes! (Or "Both!") PBS started airing it in the middle of the BBC run, and as they retitled it, they called what they were showing (the fifth BBC year) their season 1. Then they kept going with the new numbering, while dipping back into an earlier BBC season along the way to keep US viewers happy. So here is the situation to date:

• BBC Series 1 (2010) -- not yet aired by PBS.
  • BBC Series 2 (2011) -- not yet aired by PBS.
  • BBC Series 3 (2012) -- not yet aired by PBS.
  • BBC Series 4 (2013) = PBS Season 2.
  • BBC Series 5 (2014) = PBS Season 1.
  • BBC Series 6 (2015) = PBS Season 3.
  • BBC Series 7 (2016) = PBS Season 4. 
Edited by Rinaldo
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, Rinaldo said:

Yes! (Or "Both!") PBS started airing it in the middle of the BBC run, and as they retitled it, they called what they were showing (the fifth BBC year) their season 1. Then they kept going with the new numbering, while dipping back into an earlier BBC season along the way to keep US viewers happy. So here is the situation to date:

• BBC Series 1 (2010) -- not yet aired by PBS.
  • BBC Series 2 (2011) -- not yet aired by PBS.
  • BBC Series 3 (2012) -- not yet aired by PBS.
  • BBC Series 4 (2013) = PBS Season 2.
  • BBC Series 5 (2014) = PBS Season 1.
  • BBC Series 6 (2015) = PBS Season 3.
  • BBC Series 7 (2016) = PBS Season 4. 

Thank you for the explanation! That is so confusing; I wonder why in the world PBS felt the need to retitle it.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Fireball said:

I wonder why in the world PBS felt the need to retitle it.

There has been speculation that PBS wanted to stay away from the term "bake-off" since the Pillsbury Bake-Off is such a big-deal competition in the US and they might feel proprietary about the term. But (as far as I know) nobody has ever confirmed that.

30 minutes ago, Rinaldo said:

There has been speculation that PBS wanted to stay away from the term "bake-off" since the Pillsbury Bake-Off is such a big-deal competition in the US and they might feel proprietary about the term. But (as far as I know) nobody has ever confirmed that.

I have seen it referenced in articles that Pillsbury owns the rights to the term "bake-off."  

On 8/5/2017 at 5:23 PM, AZChristian said:

I have seen it referenced in articles that Pillsbury owns the rights to the term "bake-off."  

On official sites the term "Bake-Off" includes the R inside a circle indicating it's a registered trademark.

It may become a moot point though, the contest is on indefinite hiatus. Pillsbury says they're "currently assessing how this 67-year-old contest comes to life in a relevant way for a new generation of home chefs."

My local PBS station showed all of Season 4 (the one that Frances won) on one of its digital subchannels today. Even though I'd seen it when it first aired, it was fun to rewatch it. However, I'd really forgotten how much of a Debbie Downer Ruby was.

• Love 2
On 8/14/2017 at 4:19 PM, J-Man said:

However, I'd really forgotten how much of a Debbie Downer Ruby was.

I re watched that season too, & I was also surprised by how annoying Ruby was, I wanted to slap her. And I still think Kimberly should have won.

• Love 5

Are the GBBO seasons not shown on PBS (BBC series 1, 2, and 3) available anywhere on DVD?  I tried the BBC site and amazon.co.uk and find them only available for streaming or downloading, not on DVD.  I would love to buy one or more of these unseen (in the U.S.) series.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, graybrown bird said:

Are the GBBO seasons not shown on PBS (BBC series 1, 2, and 3) available anywhere on DVD?  I tried the BBC site and amazon.co.uk and find them only available for streaming or downloading, not on DVD.  I would love to buy one or more of these unseen (in the U.S.) series.

I do not believe the BBC ever released the show on DVD. It's not a very common thing for reality shows.

Season 7 has now been added to Netflix.  They now have all 4 seasons that aired on PBS (4-5-6-7), but not the first 3 UK seasons or the most recent UK season. They also have all the Masterclass episodes associated with those 4 seasons, many of which never aired in the US.

I was going to watch season 1 on Netflix, but knowing who wins kind of ruins it for me.

This show is so enjoyable (and re-watchable) that being spoiled as to the eventual winner is not that much of an issue.  Please, do not deny yourself the fun of an entire season because of that!

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 5
17 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I was just looking at the PBS catalog and all 4 seasons are available on DVD, individually at $12.99-$14.99 or a 4 season set for $44.99.

They're also all on Netflix

• Love 1

http://www.pbs.org/food/shows/great-british-baking-show/

Season 5 premieres June 22nd at 8/7c 

Follow the trials and tribulations of passionate amateur bakers whose goal is to be named the U.K.’s best. Each week, the bakers tackle a different skill, the difficulty of which increases as the competition unfolds. Mary Berry, a leading cookbook writer, and Paul Hollywood, a top artisan baker, serve as judges. Together with hosts and comic foils Sue Perkins and Mel Giedroyc, Berry and Hollywood search for the country’s best amateur baker by testing the competitors’ skills on cakes, breads, pastries and desserts, crowning a winner after 10 weeks of competition.

'Same Friends', 'One More Time' It has to be one of the first three? It's great that US audience finally gets to watch one of the previous seasons. Hopefully things get sorted out and the latest will be available soon, because despite all the unnecessary drama outside of the tent and all sorts of worries regarding the channel, judge/hosts change, the new series on C4 was as brilliant as ever.

• Love 4
On 4/21/2018 at 11:57 PM, sum said:

http://www.pbs.org/food/shows/great-british-baking-show/

'Same Friends', 'One More Time' It has to be one of the first three? It's great that US audience finally gets to watch one of the previous seasons. Hopefully things get sorted out and the latest will be available soon, because despite all the unnecessary drama outside of the tent and all sorts of worries regarding the channel, judge/hosts change, the new series on C4 was as brilliant as ever.

YAY!!!!! It's coming back! It has to be one of the earlier seasons, and I am so happy!

• Love 1
18 hours ago, AllAboutMBTV said:

Based on the "One More Time," I'm guessing it's the last Original Flava season, but I'll take any and all! Yayness!

But we've already seen the last original flava season. So it has to be an earlier season or PBS has forgotten that some of those friends are no longer on.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Blinkoshuman said:

How many seasons are available on Netflix? Just the 5? Where can the other seasons be viewed?

I think there are only 4 regular seasons and the Masterclass on Netflix.  If this is a new (for us) season coming up in June, I will be a happy camper!!!

• Love 3

I think PBS is re-running the last few episodes of the most recent PBS season starting May 25---botanicals is the first one they are rerunning (I think). Since that wouldn't be the first episode, I think they are just reshowing the last 4 episodes, leading up to a new (for PBS) season on Jun 22.

• Love 1

I am beyond excited about a new season. I am almost done rewatching all seasons (except Ruby's. I had to ff through a lot of it then just gave up. She's just too much for me and no one on her season really won my heart so I don't mind skipping it.) and I forgot just how happy and warm and fuzzy this show makes me.

• Love 1

Sorry...I can't seem to find the listing for the GBBS reruns, so I don't know what is when. In Chicago, WTTW Prime has them, but they've been showing them for a while. Sorry to get your hopes up.... But they *are* listing the new episodes---week 1 (Jun 22--double episode) is cakes (signature=upside down cake) & bread (flatbreads for signature), week 2 (Jun 29) is tarts  (tartes tartins). That's all they are listing on their site---does that help anyone with what British season it corresponds to???

14 hours ago, illdoc said:

But they *are* listing the new episodes---week 1 (Jun 22--double episode) is cakes (signature=upside down cake) & bread (flatbreads for signature), week 2 (Jun 29) is tarts  (tartes tartins). That's all they are listing on their site---does that help anyone with what British season it corresponds to???

Series 3. Don’t google any further if you’re avoiding spoilers. 

I use Series for GBBO and Seasons for GBBS. That’s how I keep them apart. 

Series 3 was 2012 and one of my favourites. It does make me wonder when and if PBS will get the "new" GBBO with Series 8.  

GBBO Series 9 will air later in the summer so there will probably be an overlap. 

According to this article and corroborating with what illdoc said up thread on June 22nd we are getting series 3 which PBS is calling season 5 and they do not have a deal with Channel 4 to air the series that aired fall 2017 in England. On one hand I'm excited to see an earlier season but I do hope they make a deal and get the newer seasons too. 

• Love 1

So, if I have seen all the seasons (thanks to you Tube before they were taken off), this "new" season airing the 22nd will be a return for me?  Just checking.  Any GBBS is better than no GBBS.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

I would be shocked if PBS doesn't make a deal for newer seasons. This show is consistently knocking it out of the park with ratings. 

And yet, instead of giving it the primo Sunday evening spot it deserves, PBS is once again hiding it in the depths of Friday night. 

• Love 1

I've been binge-watching this wonderful show and just finished the 4th series.  I was happy to see Frances win, as she was so artistically clever.  I wanted to shake Ruby.  She did so well throughout the whole series, yet she always had this woe-is-me look on her face, head cocked to the side.  It was annoying.

• Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, Diane M said:

I wanted to shake Ruby.  She did so well throughout the whole series, yet she always had this woe-is-me look on her face, head cocked to the side.  It was annoying.

Ruby hasn't impressed me in the least.  I was also annoyed by her behavior on the show, but since then her true self has emerged and she doesn't seem like she's all that nice a person:

April 3, 2015
Ruby decided to open up about her sexuality to her family with a link to Diana Ross classic ‘I’m Coming Out’.
"me to my parents today. feeling lucky and joyful and  f r e e. over and Out."  https://youtu.be/VzpP0KbjHU8

"& to all the bros who hate social media, who pit it against 'real life' - I never would've had courage to be me w/out twitter's queer queens[sic]."

"p.s. for those who thought I fancied Paul Hollywood or that I'd ever bang him to get ahead - JOKE'S ON YOU, YOU MASSIVE S**TTING MISOGYNISTS.[sic]"

Sep 22, 2016
After the announcement that Paul Hollywood would stay behind while Mary Berry moved to another network:
"ahhhhhh a peacocking manchild lingering wherever the money is, i am shocked

"this, from a man who turned up to work revving a rental lamborghini. or was it a ferrari. i don't remember, the air was thick w testosterone

April, 2017 she refused an invitation to appear on Good Morning Britain, saying: "Piers Morgan is a sentient ham and frankly I'd rather die."

May, 2017
Posted tweets about television cooks Nigella Lawson and Tom Kerridge, calling them "dull snobs" of the food world...The Great British Bake Off finalist and model slammed "horsey-maned rich girls" and "pompous 'real food' guys" in a foul-mouthed rant on Twitter.

"It started with cookbooks written by rich women who were hobbyist cooks but never once made the family dinner (that's what the maid was for) and then it continued through generations of food writers, nearly exclusively white, and always rich.

"Just marie antoinetting their way thru this fetishistic 'domesticity' except, alas, no guillotine.

"[Anthony] Bourdain is a p----, [Tom] Kerridge sells this hokey f---- 'happy diet', even some of my food heroes have proven themselves to be dull snobs.

Earlier this year, Tandoh branded Ella Mills, known as Deliciously Ella, "dangerous as f---" for making money from the "wellness craze".

Her latest venture, Feb 26, 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rybVZKVDhKI

Ruby Tandoh joins Lorraine to talk about her new book 'Eat Up' and how mental health has links to food.

Edited by Zahdii
  • Love 3