Type keyword(s) to search

The Great British Baking Show On PBS

• Start Topic

(edited)

No, PBS hasn't shown this season before. Heck, it took until the second episode until we saw the Mel/Sue hug. Having not seen the first two seasons, was this its genesis?

Edited by Sew Sumi

It looks like PBS got some underwriters (one dare not call them "sponsors") for this season, which I guess is a good thing. (I seem to remember that most or all of the previously broadcast episodes were always "brought to you by viewers like you.") Although apparently we've lost the little food history snippets they used to show at the end of each episode.

Does anyone know if there's a series of Master Class episodes that accompanies this season? 

(edited)
6 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Has this season been shown before?  I know that PBS has some sort of wonky numbering. I was under the impression they had not yet aired this one.

No, I have seen the older seasons on you tube a few years ago, before they were deleted off you tube.  I think it was about 3 - 4 years ago.

Edited by Destiny74
3 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Has this season been shown before?  I know that PBS has some sort of wonky numbering. I was under the impression they had not yet aired this one.

This series has not been shown in the US. It is Series 3 from 2012.

My Tivo picked up the "new" episodes last night, yay! I watched them immediately. I wasn't aware that we'd be getting these episodes. I didn't know that this is an older season; I just thought that Mel and Sue looked great because I missed them so much! 

• Love 2

It would be a great service to the watching public (viewers like you!) if someone could make up a master list of seasons that includes the names of contestants.  Something like BBC Season 3, Broadcast date spring 2012, contestants = big-long-list, PBS Season #, Broadcast date summer 2018.

I don't want to go to Wikipedia, because then I will inadvertently find out who won and the elimination order.  You need the contestant names because that's the only thing that distinguishes one season from another.  If it can be copied from the wonderful folks at Wikipedia, I'll give them a donation.

1 minute ago, meep.meep said:

It would be a great service to the watching public (viewers like you!) if someone could make up a master list of seasons that includes the names of contestants. 

That's precisely why I loved the Canadian version - the contestants had their names embroidered on the front of their aprons.  You got to know them by name very quickly!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I think I remember who I read won, but I'm still watching. 

Knowing the winner of this show doesn't ruin it for me at all since I just enjoy spending time with these people more than I care who wins. Sometimes I like to know ahead of time when my favorites are going, just so I can mentally prepare myself, since this is one of the few shows I've been known to cry at when someone I adore goes.

• Love 7
(edited)
16 hours ago, Destiny74 said:

Rewatching GBBS ad nauseum is still better than 95% of what American TV execs think I want to watch.  

Right you are! That is why despite knowing, I am watching and enjoying. Of course American execs tried to air a US version the show but we know how that ended (still angry). 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 6
(edited)

I need either a British viewer or someone who has seen all the early series.  Is this the series where

Spoiler

Paul and Mary argue for 4 hours behind the scenes trying to decide the winner

or was that series 2?   I remember that happening but can't remember which series

Spoiler

(or the eventual winner - don't tell me)

and it's driving me crazy.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
21 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I need either a British viewer or someone who has seen all the early series.  Is this the series where

Hide contents

Paul and Mary argue for 4 hours behind the scenes trying to decide the winner

or was that series 2?   I remember that happening but can't remember which series

Hide contents

(or the eventual winner - don't tell me)

and it's driving me crazy.

Spoiler

It was Series 1, to decide who to go home after the first day of the final.  In that series one of the three finalists was to get eliminated after the first round, (no technical challenge in the final) and only two competed in the second day.

• Love 2

So, I just saw this for the first time (or, rather, the US Holiday Edition) last month.  Since apparently it used to be on PBS and has moved to Netflix (which I don't have), does anyone know of any cable/broadcast stations that are carrying it (even the reruns, which I haven't seen)?  I see that it's streaming on PBS.com but I'd rather watch on the living room TV.

On 1/3/2019 at 3:28 PM, MarkHB said:

So, I just saw this for the first time (or, rather, the US Holiday Edition) last month.  Since apparently it used to be on PBS and has moved to Netflix (which I don't have), does anyone know of any cable/broadcast stations that are carrying it (even the reruns, which I haven't seen)?  I see that it's streaming on PBS.com but I'd rather watch on the living room TV.

No, I think that in the US you can only watch it on Netflix. The newly released seasons aren’t streaming on PBS. I got a Netflix account just for this show and it has been so worth it. Not just for GBBO, but for The Crown and several other shows. 

• Love 4
On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 3:28 PM, MarkHB said:

My PBS station shows random reruns on Saturday afternoons, but it's up to the individual station and it's unlikely you'd ever be able to see the whole series.  (Which, BTW, is much, much better than the US version.)   If you feel like bingeing the show, you can always sign up for Netflix for the free 30 day period.  And watch The Crown, too, while you're at it.

• Love 5
On 6/23/2018 at 8:35 AM, toodles said:

This show is such a refreshing change from the ridiculous food network shows.  I love to watch people doing what they do best.

And that the people who win do so based on the skills, not because their sister's grandmother's best friend's cousin's dog just died.  (#chopped)

I'm new to the show, thanks to Netflix.  Started "watching" as a way to fall asleep at night but realized I was too invested in what happens!   Love the banter, both (?) sets of hosts/presenters, and the contestants who are there to learn, have fun, challenge themselves, and not take it too seriously.

I just finished the Netflix season 5, and was glad to be rid of Stacie. Her way too pink,  too panicked, and too over the top everything took out some of the happy place-ness.  Great show.

• Love 2

I am new to the show (thanks to Netflix and a new Amazon fire).  One of my favorite things is how helpful they are to each other.  I also appreciate that the judges don’t come in halfway through and throw in some new ingredient everyone must add to their bakes.

I watched season 10 first and then found the PBS earlier season.  I like the history bits and how helpful the emcees/judges can be.  I assume somewhere (maybe when Mary left) they told Paul he can’t help anymore.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I assume somewhere (maybe when Mary left) they told Paul he can’t help anymore.

The judges were never allowed to help the contestants. Mary has said that the producers would constantly scold her for it from the first day but she couldn't help herself. It's also why Paul has that annoying habit where he asks the contestants rhetorical questions but doesn't offer any actual tips. 

• Love 1

In the season I just watched, though, they were definitely offering tips throughout.  Paul would hear a filling and give them tips to keep the pastry from getting soggy.  They touched dough to say whether it felt good.  He showed Sarah Jane how to knead one of the doughs.  Much more interactive than the latter season.

May I also say that

Spoiler

Brenden

was robbed?!?  The only thing that makes it palatable was hearing

Spoiler

John’s sister and mom be so beastly about him in the interview that I am hopeful his win will shut them up.