Type keyword(s) to search

The Great British Baking Show On PBS

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, Diane M said:

I wanted to shake Ruby. 

Many people felt this way, her "I'm sooo surprised they really liked my bake" humble bragging got on my nerves big time.

• Love 2

She's not wrong about what?  Everyone else on that show seemed happy and friendly, even though they too were under a lot of stress.  She just seemed like a petulant child.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Diane M said:

She just seemed like a petulant child.

She seems very hateful to me. Girl needs a better outlet for the amount of hate she holds inside her than social media. Maybe kickboxing. It's sad to see someone so young with so much hate in them.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Diane M said:

She's not wrong about what?  Everyone else on that show seemed happy and friendly, even though they too were under a lot of stress.  She just seemed like a petulant child.

52 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

She seems very hateful to me. Girl needs a better outlet for the amount of hate she holds inside her than social media. Maybe kickboxing. It's sad to see someone so young with so much hate in them.

Yes to both of these comments. This show is "above" all the b.s. that we see on US shows, so her behavior is certainly disappointing and sounds bitter.

• Love 4

Ruby didn't act bitter on the show, so to say that the show is above this BS is a red herring. What she does outside the show has nothing to do with GBBO.

Ruby went through a terrible time on social media while the show was airing and after--all of it undeserved. For all that, I submit she's not even bitter now. She's calling people out, and I happen to think she's right. Food writers are nearly all rich and white. Piers Morgan is a twat.

• Love 6

Last night I finished watching the four seasons available on Netflix, and I already miss it.  Netflix teases us by showing us just a few seasons of TV shows.  Why can't they get all of them????  Last night was the season where Nadya won.  Very nice lady and great baker, but I had my heart set on Ian winning.  

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, Diane M said:

Last night I finished watching the four seasons available on Netflix, and I already miss it.  Netflix teases us by showing us just a few seasons of TV shows.  Why can't they get all of them????  Last night was the season where Nadya won.  Very nice lady and great baker, but I had my heart set on Ian winning.  

Nadya had the best line ever.  After putting her souffle in the oven, " I'd rather give birth than to do that again."

• Love 5

I just finished Candace's season. My thoughts on her haven't changed. She just bugs the crap out of me. But she was a good baker, apparently her flavors were always spot on, but I would have rather had Jane win that one. My thoughts on Salasi haven't changed either. I LOVE that man!!!!! The brother/sister bond between him and Benjamina is the stuff I watch this show for. I can't wait to see a new to me season on PBS!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Diane M said:

I guess that was a season not available on Netflix....yet.  The names don't ring a bell for me.

That season is on Netflix. It's season 4.

You're right.  I forgot the name Candace.   And I liked Benjamina.  There's very few contestants on the four seasons I saw that I didn't like, but Ruby annoyed me so much.

• Love 1
(edited)

I liked Andrew and was glad he got a Best Baker star at least once.

Candace still bugs me too.  I found her nicer during my most recent rewatch but the way she held her mouth and pursed her lips still drove me crazy.

LOVE SALASI!!!!!  That is a man right there.  Strong, silent and funny, not to mention good looking, drives a motorcycle in his suit to work and the man can bake!  He is truely one of my all time favorites along with Richard the builder, Martha the youngin, and Kimberly the shrink.

Edited by Destiny74
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, Destiny74 said:

He is truely one of my all time favorites along with Richard the builder, Martha the youngin, and Kimberly the shrink.

For me I would add Prison Paul to that list. IDK why, I just adored him. One of my all time favorite moments ever was when he was doing his bikini clad woman and Mel kept on about the gusset for the swimsuit. lol I swear he was turning red. And how he nearly teared up when Judge Paul said that was one of the best bread pieces he has seen in his life.

And Jane will forever have my heart simply for her comment "These are not the Yorkshires you are looking for".

I guess I tend towards the ones who didn't take it quite so seriously. The ones I liked the least seemed to take it all too personally, or too seriously, or seemed to lack a sense of humor about the whole thing.

The best thing about the show were the funny, unscripted moments, like Jane's above, or when Selasi was talking to Sue all serious and then looked at her and she had something hanging out of her nose and he just lost it. That man has the greatest smile in the world! *swoon*

• Love 6
On 5/23/2018 at 2:56 AM, GaT said:

Ooo, does anyone know which season this really is?

And it's a good one! That was the year the show really started to attract a British audience and then Entertainment Weekly encouraged Americans to check out the show online.

Of course PBS will never acknowledge that this season is actually OLDER than all of the episodes they've already shown. Some people will be mystified as to why Paul, Mary, Mel and Sue are younger than they've ever appeared before (at least on PBS.) 

51 minutes ago, J-Man said:

Of course PBS will never acknowledge that this season is actually OLDER than all of the episodes they've already shown. Some people will be mystified as to why Paul, Mary, Mel and Sue are younger than they've ever appeared before (at least on PBS.) 

Well, they do say "... in a season you haven't seen until now."

3 hours ago, magdalene said:

I hope PBS will make a contract with the new people version too. I was surprised how quickly I took to them. The show has not declined in quality at all.

Are you talking about the newest season?  After the shakeup?  I have read that the replacements all worked well and it was as "normal" as could be hoped for.  Is it?  You sound like you've seen some?

46 minutes ago, Destiny74 said:

Are you talking about the newest season?  After the shakeup?  I have read that the replacements all worked well and it was as "normal" as could be hoped for.  Is it?  You sound like you've seen some?

Yes, I am. I was able to see some of the new episodes. I hope I can see the rest of them eventually on PBS.  Paul of course is still there. I don't like Prue, the Mary replacement, quite as much as Mary but she is okay.  The Mel and Sue replacements are funny and charming and warm. They wisely kept the vibe of the show the same.

Copied from the WTTW (Chicago PBS) "What to watch in June" page: 

Paul, Mary, the bad puns, and the gorgeous treats are back for a final season! Get your fill of British humor, eye-popping creations, rainy weather, odd technical challenges, and everything else you love about The Great British Baking Show. Since it’s the last season, you don’t want to miss it.

What the heck do they mean "final season"? We know it is Series 3 of the British version. There's still 2 (or 3) others of that version that haven't aired here, not including the "non-Mary" season. 

(edited)

They obviously mean it's the last season that's going to be shown on PBS, which is the frame of reference for most of their viewers.   Just because there are other seasons that aired in the UK doesn't mean PBS is going to buy them.  (And BTW, season 1 was only 6 episodes (this was the season they actually travelled around in the tent) and, IIRC, didn't have the quality of bakers that later seasons did.) 

We'll have to hope that Netflix comes in to fill the gap.  If they're not competing with PBS for the same material, maybe that's more likely.

Edited by Quilt Fairy

Just saw that my local PBS is showing this "new" season starting Saturday morning the 23rd at 11, and then another episode at noon. They have not treated this show well for the last couple of runs, but at least they're airing it.

Interestingly, the graphic that comes up for the show has Paul, Prue, Sandi, and Noel.

My Comcast guide is showing Season 3 (very confusing, they're apparently using the actual seasons instead of the PBS seasons) episode 1 on 6/19 at 3:00 in the afternoon & then episode 2 on 6/22 at 10:00 at night. Who is scheduling this? It makes no sense.

4 hours ago, GaT said:

My Comcast guide is showing Season 3 (very confusing, they're apparently using the actual seasons instead of the PBS seasons) episode 1 on 6/19 at 3:00 in the afternoon & then episode 2 on 6/22 at 10:00 at night. Who is scheduling this? It makes no sense.

Doesn't it depend on which PBS market you are in? I'm in 3 PBS markets, and they each tend to schedule the same shows differently, other than things like Masterpiece Theater/Downton Abbey.

Does your local PBS station have its own website (in Chicago, it's wttw.org)? If so, check that---that site will tell you what episode when. For example, we have 2 main ones here--WTTW and WTTW Prime. WTTW is the main one and when things "premiere" on PBS, that's where they are (first episode of the new season is at 9p Fri Jun 22). However, the episode can be rerun on either of the stations (in fact, Prime is currently showing one of the early seasons (Ruby, Frances, Glenn) at 5p on Saturdays). Our local WTTW website shows all the showings of the episodes for the next 3 weeks or so, whether "new" or not, for both WTTW & WTTW Prime

• Love 1
7 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Doesn't it depend on which PBS market you are in? I'm in 3 PBS markets, and they each tend to schedule the same shows differently, other than things like Masterpiece Theater/Downton Abbey.

Right. My market (Bay Area) is showing the episodes back to back on 6/22.

15 hours ago, cherrypj said:

In DC, they're calling it "Season 5" and are airing episodes 1 & 2 at 9 and 10p on Friday, 22 June 2018. 

I'm very much looking forward to it.

Exact same thing in the Milwaukee market except here it will be at 8 and 9p. I am also looking forward to it!

• Love 1
(edited)
On 6/13/2018 at 12:46 PM, mishy said:

Exact same thing in the Milwaukee market except here it will be at 8 and 9p. I am also looking forward to it!

They are also repeating it during early morning hours of Saturday--my fallback if the DVR goes on the fritz.

Edited by backgroundnoise

Thanks for letting me know PBS was airing two episodes, back to back for the first week.  I just discovered my local PBS affiliate (Channel 13, NYC) is airing an episode at 10pm immediately after the 9pm episode debut.  My cable guide lists it as NEW Season 3, Episode 1 and 2.  I've never seen the first three seasons, only the seasons aired by Channel 13, I'm so looking forward to this!

(edited)

You guys... I did not research or read anything about this next PBS season and I was expecting the newest  season to be the latest with Prue and Noel. That I had already seen somehow... but was looking forward to watch again on a TV for want of anything else and I hate watching things on a lap top screen..

I'm so excited, I want to cry. I am not exaggerating. This show is my happy place.

Edited by Megan
  • Love 7
Just now, toodles said:

This show is such a refreshing change from the ridiculous food network shows.  I love to watch people doing what they do best.

(Psssst, Toodles . . . did you see the PM I sent you a few days ago?)

(edited)
5 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

(Psssst, Toodles . . . did you see the PM I sent you a few days ago?)

I did and sent a reply.  My internet has been wonky most of the week though.

Edited by toodles
41 minutes ago, toodles said:

I love to watch people doing what they do best.

And doing it without any chest puffing "I'm the best so I'm gonna win it all" attitude.  Love it when they support and help each other.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Love it when they support and help each other.

I was cracking up when one of the ladies asked the young guy (James?) to help her open something, and he was happy to oblige... and then completely unable to do it. I wished they'd shown if anyone was ever able to get it open!

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, Destiny74 said:

It's been so long since I saw this season I remember some of the people but not the challenges or who wins so it's almost new to me! 

Has this season been shown before?  I know that PBS has some sort of wonky numbering. I was under the impression they had not yet aired this one.