Type keyword(s) to search

The Great British Baking Show On PBS

• Start Topic

I have no idea whether PBS in NYC is finishing the season on Sunday afternoons or just letting it hang,

Channel 26 in Washington DC started showing season 3 episodes again last night from where they left off.

WETA UK in DC started showing the US Season 3 Masterclass episodes yesterday. I don't think we've ever seen those in the US before.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

WETA UK in DC started showing the US Season 3 Masterclass episodes yesterday. I don't think we've ever seen those in the US before.

Interesting. They did not show the Masterclasses of the other two US aired seasons. This is good news because it seems certain PBS affiliates realize that the show is popular enough for them to show those. You do learn a couple of good tricks about baking in them.

Philly area watcher here. Just writing to complain that my DVR indicated it was scheduled to record a double episode (first two of the most recent shows) of GGBO two weeks ago on a Friday night... so, YAY! But then ... nothing recorded. It never appeared. Popped up again to record last week. Still nothing.

I don't get this AT. ALL. GBBO was a blockbuster series the first time it aired here (after Downton Abbey, no less!), right? The second series aired at random times in the wee hours of the morning - and usually a double episode. And now, no fanfare whatsoever. It's scheduled. Then it's not scheduled. It seem my affiliate treats it like some dying network sitcom they're obligated to air so they can placate the last remaining three hardcore fans' wishes. 

Edited by Guest
56 minutes ago, Cyranetta said:

I wonder if future series being broadcast on PBS will be torpedoed by the move from BBC to Channel 4 in the UK?

Probably not. The contract is probably with Love Productions, not BBC.

That said, there are already other agreements in place for new content with ABC.  There's already been a Great Holiday Baking Show with Mary Berry last Winter, there's a Season 2 seemingly headed for ABC again, and on the same casting webpage as for the Holiday Season 2 they also talked about a Summer Edition (which since it didn't happen this summer, would seem to mean next Summer is likely). 

Conceivably, ABC might have some options on buying future seasons of the UK show, although since they prefer new (and unfiltered "American") content, I'd say it's more likely the UK series, as they pass, go to PBS via Love, and ABC just nabs Mary between seasons, ships off some Americans to stand in front of her and Johnny Izzuni, and make their own product. 

Edited by Kromm

I'm gonna follow up on my complaint: according to my cable guide -- my PBS isn't showing GBBO AT ALL!!! ARRGGHHHH!!!!!! The HELL?! I think I need to move to a better market. :( :( :( 

9 hours ago, theatremouse said:

My local PBS also just started the S3 Masterclass episodes. Weird because I didn't see any kind of promotion for it, but it just popped up on my DVR because it thought it was "new" GBBO. Pleasant surprise for me.

8 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

Just writing to complain that my DVR indicated it was scheduled to record a double episode (first two of the most recent shows) of GGBO two weeks ago on a Friday night... so, YAY! But then ... nothing recorded. It never appeared. Popped up again to record last week. Still nothing.

I just checked my DVR, & it's set to record S3E13 Masterclass3 on 9/25, but the finale for S3 was episode 10, so where are episodes 11 & 12? Were they Masterclass 1 & 2? I don't remember seeing any upcoming recordings, but maybe they disappeared?

I wasn't sure where to post this but my beloved TiVo is scheduled to record several "new" GBBO programs starting this week entitled "Master Class".  There are four one-hour shows listed so far and judging by the program description, they may be clip shows giving more background and how-tos on some of the baked goods created over past seasons.  Does this ring a bell with anybody?

Most of the prior seasons have Master Classes, taped post-season, in which Mary and Paul get together to demonstrate how to make many of the challenges of the competition just concluded. They tend to include a sampling of signatures and showstoppers (showing a version they might have done), and pretty nearly all the technicals (though I noticed they skipped the 20-layer broiled cake). A clip or two from the competition will precede each demonstration, to illustrate problems or successes the bakers had. In each case, one of the two will take the lead for a particular recipe and show all the steps, while the other will serve as assistant, doing the weighing and so on.

• Love 1

I saw Master Class for the first time yesterday.  Curiously, my DVR said the show was from 2012 but Paul and Mary made the tennis cake and other things from Nadiya's season.  I enjoyed it so I hope PBS continues to air it.

Does anyone know how many Master Class episodes there are? I've seen the first two from the Nadiya season, then my local PBS station didn't air any for a couple of weeks, but the third episode is due to air this Thursday. Just wondering how long I'll have to keep an eagle eye on my PBS channel's schedule (where it's listed as only "The Great British Baking Show" and also as a repeat, so my DVR doesn't grab it). (Dear PBS Scheduling Monkeys: Get it together! Revel in the virtues of consistency!)

• Love 1

I just watched the Masterclass episode where they made the tennis cake, the cream horns, mokatines & the nun cake. How did the bakers ever make these things? Everything was so complicated with so many parts, it seems like the only people who would ever make them are professionals.

Thanks for the heads up about the Masterclasses.  I'm lucky enough to get 2 PBS stations where I live, and I found it on the second channel.  My PVR is now set to tape! 

Edited by hula-la
Spelling

My PBS station is now airing S2, apparently ... I guess a repeat of when they aired it before? I'm so confused about UK vs US seasons. It's the season that has Ruby and Kimberly (the only 2 whose names I can remember after only seeing one episode so far).  It seems a little weird, almost like the narration is dubbed in to make it more understandable by American viewers, but I might be imagining that. They keep showing clips of the bakers' home lives which I don't remember them doing until later in the season on previous seasons I've seen. 

Edit: I guess this is actually season 5? But PBS calls it S2?

Edited by iggysaurus

It was the second season that aired in the US.  They can't call it season 5 because some people who could count might ask what happened to seasons 1, 2 and 3 which have never aired in the US.  It's going to be a permanent disconnect, there's no way to go back and fix it now.

That would be BBC Series 4. From the 'Episode Air Dates and Spoilers' thread,

• Season 1 of PBS's Baking Show is BBC Series 5 (2014).
  • Season 2 of PBS's Baking Show is BBC Series 4 (2013).
  • Season 3 of PBS's Baking Show is BBC Series 6 (2015).

BBC Series 5 - Richard, Nancy, Martha, Iain, Chetna, ...

• Love 4

My PBS station aired the Christmas episode of Masterclass this afternoon.  Paul and Mary made several delicious-looking desserts but the recipe I really want to try is the turkey/ham pot pie with Paul's "cheat" puff pastry.

• Love 1

So, my PBS station was showing reruns last night.  It was the season that Nancy won, with Luis and Richard and Chetna.  They used to call it Season 1, but now they had it labelled as Season 5.  Have they finally caught on?  Is it only the SF station that does this?

• Love 1

Channel 11 WTTW in Chicago looks like it's running a marathon of the Masterclass episodes this Saturday starting at 10 am. These are new episodes for me, they are different from the single shows they've been airing the last few Saturdays.

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 7:08 PM, meep.meep said:

So, my PBS station was showing reruns last night.  It was the season that Nancy won, with Luis and Richard and Chetna.  They used to call it Season 1, but now they had it labelled as Season 5.  Have they finally caught on?  Is it only the SF station that does this?

Nope, it's happening in Chicago, too.  WTTW Prime - channel 370 is having a marathon on Christmas day (Yay!, something to watch on Christmas!) which is probably PBS's original season 1 but it's coming up in the listings as season 5.

I hope this means we'll get to see season 7 sometime soon in the New Year.

My local PBS has the Master Class episodes just tossed on the schedule wherever.  But I've got the links to watch most of the last seasons Master Class episodes online from the PBS site. 

Check under the spoiler tags for episode descriptions and links:

Spoiler

Season 3 Masterclass: Part 1

Video duration: 54:50   Aired: 11/19/16   Expires: 12/18/16

After ten weeks of baking highs and lows, calm descends on the Baking Show tent as Mary and Paul take up the reins to make the signature, technical and showstopper challenges that they set the bakers in the first couple of weeks of the series. Step by step they take us through the recipes, methods tricks and tips to ensure that even the most amateur bakers can get it right at home, every time.

Mary Berry makes Lemon Madeira Cake with Candied Lemon Peel; Frosted Walnut Layer Cake; and Black Forest Gateau

Paul Hollywood makes Italian Hazelnut and Orange Biscotti, and French Arlettes

http://www.pbs.org/video/2365836998/

============================

Season 3 Masterclass: Part 3

Video duration: 54:25   Aired: 11/19/16   Expires: 12/18/16

Mary and Paul recreate the bakes from the second half of the series and show us the skills, secrets and tips to ensure perfect results every time. Mary goes sugar free with her version of a sugar free carrot cake, before making an Apricot Frangipane tart. Paul shows us the correct way to make the Cypriot Flaounas, which left the bakers bewildered in the technical challenge from pastry week.

http://www.pbs.org/video/2365888425/

================================

Season 3 Masterclass: Part 4

Video duration: 54:50   Aired: 11/19/16   Expires: 12/18/16

In the final masterclass of the series, Mary and Paul heat up the ovens and get out the mixing bowls one last time to create the signature, technical and showstopper challenges from the last part of The Great British Baking Show.

http://www.pbs.org/video/2365888427/

=============================

Season 3 Masterclass: Christmas

Video duration: 54:49   Aired: 11/19/16   Expires: 12/18/16

After the drama and deliciousness of Baking Show much-missed Mary and Paul are back to bring a generous dollop of baking cheer to Christmas this year. Step by step they take us through stunning recipes that all the family can make during the festive season.

Mary Berry makes Christmas Pavlova; Rosace a l'orange; and Christmas Trifle.

Paul Hollywood makes Leftover Turkey and Ham Pie, and Tear and Share Christmas Chelsea Buns; and an Italian classic, a Towering Pandora

http://www.pbs.org/video/2365888442/

• Love 1
On 12/18/2016 at 0:19 AM, Zahdii said:

My local PBS has the Master Class episodes just tossed on the schedule wherever.  But I've got the links to watch most of the last seasons Master Class episodes online from the PBS site. 

Check under the spoiler tags for episode descriptions and links:

Hide contents

Season 3 Masterclass: Christmas

Video duration: 54:49   Aired: 11/19/16   Expires: 12/18/16

After the drama and deliciousness of Baking Show much-missed Mary and Paul are back to bring a generous dollop of baking cheer to Christmas this year. Step by step they take us through stunning recipes that all the family can make during the festive season.

Mary Berry makes Christmas Pavlova; Rosace a l'orange; and Christmas Trifle.

Paul Hollywood makes Leftover Turkey and Ham Pie, and Tear and Share Christmas Chelsea Buns; and an Italian classic, a Towering Pandora

http://www.pbs.org/video/2365888442/

I am making the Rosace a l'Orange for Christmas because of this episode! I actually wanted to do the pavlova but wasn't sure if the less adventurous eaters in the family would appreciate. 

I'm a little worried that I won't get those oranges tender enough (and not sure my mandolin is up to slicing an orange either....) but I'm gonna give it a go and if not, Hershey's chocolate cake is always a good backup, lol. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, aulait said:

I am making the Rosace a l'Orange for Christmas because of this episode! I actually wanted to do the pavlova but wasn't sure if the less adventurous eaters in the family would appreciate. 

I'm a little worried that I won't get those oranges tender enough (and not sure my mandolin is up to slicing an orange either....) but I'm gonna give it a go and if not, Hershey's chocolate cake is always a good backup, lol. 

I hope it turns out!  Take a picture if you can.

I've been watching the Masterclass episodes and I have a question: When Paul or Mary say, for example, "Bake at 160°C  fan" does that mean the same thing as using the convection setting on my oven?

Edited by Quilt Fairy
6 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I've been watching the Masterclass episodes and I have a question: When Paul or Mary say, for example, "Bake at 160°C  fan" does that mean the same thing as using the convection setting on my oven?

Yes :)

• Love 1
On 12/21/2016 at 0:47 PM, Zahdii said:

I hope it turns out!  Take a picture if you can.

Well it was quite a headache... I'm not a slouch in the kitchen. I cook and bake a lot, but I had to make the genoise twice (first time as flat as a pancake, second time it was better but still barely big enough to cut it in half). I had to make the pastry cream twice, too. The first time it didn't set. After comparing the pastry cream recipe to others I used one with flour AND cornstarch and just yolks, not whole eggs. That pastry cream held together far better. I later compared the genoise recipe and it seemed different from a lot of others I saw online.  If I made this again I would use another recipe for genoise and pastry cream. 

However, the end result was absolutely beautiful and I loved the technique of the candied fruit with the cream and cake. Presentation wise it was 10/10! The pastry cream and candied oranges were my favorite part taste wise. I think another type of cake would be better, for my tastes, in the future. 

15732136_10211138914805831_6427285681516863090_o (500x375).jpg

• Love 15
On 11/19/2016 at 7:02 PM, tvchick said:

My PBS station aired the Christmas episode of Masterclass this afternoon.  Paul and Mary made several delicious-looking desserts but the recipe I really want to try is the turkey/ham pot pie with Paul's "cheat" puff pastry.

Mine showed the same episode.  The recipe that I really want to try is Mary's ethereal orange dessert.  Forget its name.  Husband,son and I were all amused by the frequent double entendres between Paul and Mary,which they were obviously doing on purpose.  Mary to Paul"I want you to go deep inside."

Edited by susannot
Should read the thread before posting. Rosace a l'orange.
7 hours ago, aulait said:

Well it was quite a headache... I'm not a slouch in the kitchen. I cook and bake a lot, but I had to make the genoise twice (first time as flat as a pancake, second time it was better but still barely big enough to cut it in half). I had to make the pastry cream twice, too. The first time it didn't set. After comparing the pastry cream recipe to others I used one with flour AND cornstarch and just yolks, not whole eggs. That pastry cream held together far better. I later compared the genoise recipe and it seemed different from a lot of others I saw online.  If I made this again I would use another recipe for genoise and pastry cream. 

However, the end result was absolutely beautiful and I loved the technique of the candied fruit with the cream and cake. Presentation wise it was 10/10! The pastry cream and candied oranges were my favorite part taste wise. I think another type of cake would be better, for my tastes, in the future. 

15732136_10211138914805831_6427285681516863090_o (500x375).jpg

Please post your recipe and techniques!

I started with the recipe from GBBO here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/rosace__lorange_39570

The candied oranges and assembly technique were great. 

I would suggest a better genoise recipe as the one in the BBC recipe failed once and was barely useable the second time.  Something like this: http://www.delectablehodgepodge.com/recipes/spongecake-g.html. Make sure to use a 9 inch pan though.  That is important to get the layers that fit in the bowl right. 

This is a good substitute for the pastry cream in the BBC recipe which completely flopped for me. http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/pastry-cream-recipe My thoughts here... both recipes call for you to fold in whipped cream. When I did this to my very firm pastry cream it definitely made it softer and lighter but during slicing it  fell apart a bit. I think next time I might fold in only half the whipped cream because I would have preferred a cleaner slice.  In either case, make sure that during the cooking of the pastry cream it comes to a full boil for at least a minute. It really needs to be very thick. The cornstarch and flour need to boil to come to their full thickening power. 

I didn't have a bowl that measured exactly 9 inches across so I used one that was 9 1/2 and it worked just fine! I also made all the components two days in advance and assembled the day before. I stored the candied orange slices in a plastic wrapped lined tupperware type container and let them come to room temp before using them (I think they might have stuck together more when cold).  I also layered orange slices that were falling apart or were too thin. This was a technique that I saw on a website called Joe Pastry when he made this cake. 

• Love 4

Head's up in the Boston/southeastern Mass. area - WGBH Ch 2 is airing a marathon of the Masterclass episodes tomorrow starting at 12:30pm.  They're airing 7 eps total, starting with the 3 Christmas eps. 

My PBS channel in Central Illinois started airing the master classes on Sunday afternoons at 3 PM a couple weeks ago.  They are scheduled through January too.  Hurray!

We made the Pavlova for Christmas dinner and it was a hit. My BF is walking around talking about his creme pattisiere and creme legere like he's a pro now. He fell in love with that vintage pie tin that Paul used for the hot water pastry pie with turkey, ham, and cranberries. As it's pretty expensive, including shipping, to get it to Canada, we won't be getting it anytime soon.

I get two PBS stations here in Canada (Seattle and Boston), so I've set my PVR to record GBBO on both stations. That's like twice the episodes!

• Love 1

It really is heartbreaking that BBC is struggling. It is a sad commentary on the state of entertainment. It is all about the almighty dollar.

I, for one, will be following Mel, Sue and Mary as they, for me, were the heart of what made GBBO/S so enjoyable. Especially after reading how Mel and Sue would screw up Love Productions attempts to manipulate drama out of the contestants. That, and their loyalty to BBC makes me a fan for life. And Mary Berry is a national treasure. I am not so secretly glad this blew up in greedy Love's face. Sure, you get to keep the name of the show and Paul, the least liked of the regulars. Good luck with that. Given that they originally wanted to squeeze tears out of the bakers, and the people who stopped that are gone, it will be sad to see the show most likely deteriorate into a typical reality show while Mel, Sue and Mary build something that I am sure will be charming, lovely and enjoyable. Good luck ladies. I wish you all the best.

• Love 3