Type keyword(s) to search

The Great British Baking Show On PBS

• Start Topic

Anyone else trying to watch on WNET Thirteen in NY? Is it just me or are they not regularly showing this?  I keep trying to set my DVR but nothing! Looks like I'll have to go online to watch. 

48 minutes ago, scrubs14 said:

Anyone else trying to watch on WNET Thirteen in NY? Is it just me or are they not regularly showing this?  I keep trying to set my DVR but nothing! Looks like I'll have to go online to watch. 

Yes...my TiVo was all set to record today's episode, "Breads," but it has disappeared from the schedule altogether with no later air date. The next new episode on WNEt will be on July 24, "Desserts." 

Damn you PBS! Why'd you have to go and pull the only show I watch regularly on your network.

CPTV, award eligible for Worst PBS Station Ever, finally put it on the schedule. Too late. And they're likely to screw around with the timing, anyway, so I've been watching via the Roku PBS app. PBS.org has eps 3 & 4 up now. 

I had a happy discovery after my tantrum over my PBS affiliate not airing the show until autumn. First, I was able to watch online, but better, I discovered that despite not actually airing the show at all, it is available on-demand on Sundays. The PBS station isn't listed with other networks -- it's under my cable co. & state (i.e. CoxArizona for various local programming), lumped in with all the other prime-time shows, so I have to scroll through to find it. I'm so happy to see it on my big TV within a couple days of first airing that I'm considering it a treasure hunt, and I've found the treasure. Both Breads and Desserts were available today. Perfect for a lazy Sunday afternoon. Yippee!

• Love 2
17 hours ago, scrubs14 said:

I watched the "Bread" episode on PBS WNET NYC Sunday at 4PM but the DVR Guilde listed "America Black & Blue" as the 4PM show. so it didn't recorded. I guess the moral of the story is to see what airs Sunday at 4PM regardless of what is listed in the guide.

(edited)

WTTW in Chicago has 2 episodes scheduled for Friday night at 9pm & 10pm CDT.

Just out of curiosity, seeing all these different call letters for PBS stations all over the country, do your call letters stand for anything interesting? Because WTTW predates PBS and stands for Window To The World, which I think is kinda neat.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 1

After reading all the problems with various PBS stations, I have to compliment mine here in Central Illinois.  I didn't know there was going to be a "Black and Blue" special so I was totally surprised when I tuned in for the GBBS.  However, before I had the time to go into full-blown panic mode, I noticed a banner crawling across the bottom of the screen that said, "Don't worry.  We will air both episodes of the Great British Baking Show immediately after the special program."  And they did.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

WTTW in Chicago has 2 episodes scheduled for Friday night at 9pm & 10pm CDT.

Just out of curiosity, seeing all these different call letters for PBS stations all over the country, do your call letters stand for anything interesting? Because WTTW predates PBS and stands for Window To The World, which I think is kinda neat.

WGBH is for Great Blue Hill, where their receiver is. 

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Jesse said:

WGBH is for Great Blue Hill, where their receiver is. 

That is cool. I never knew what WGBH stood for and I would see it all the time here in Chicago because they sponsored a lot of the nationally televised programs. I would have thought that the B stood for Boston somehow. I think a lot of the older stations' call letters have more history associated with them.

On 7/11/2016 at 11:14 AM, jenh526 said:

I love this show but it's kind of painful for me to watch it now. My mom and I used to watch the episodes and then talk about them on the phone. She passed away about a month ago after battling pancreatic cancer. I have to imagine her sitting next to me on the couch, watching along with me.

I am so sorry for your loss, jenh526.  My Mum has been in hospice in Canada for the past month ...  :-(

On 7/17/2016 at 4:33 AM, whimsey98 said:

In San Diego, CA - KPBS - episode 1 and 2 are being shown tonight (7/17/16) at 6 pm and 7 pm.  I got too impatient and jumped ahead to watch the episodes on YouTube, but I might watch the beginning again.  Slow in starting here but at least we didn't have to wait until fall.

So happy I caught this on KPBS, whimsey98.  Thanks!

• Love 1

I've been watching on my local Channel 13 PBS station here in New York.  One episode a week on Sunday afternoons has been airing, however last night after searching On Demand options I did find this Sunday's Desserts episode was available On Demand (before it actually airs in my market).  Score!

I have no idea what season I am watching now but I saw two new episodes to me with new contestants this past Sunday on KPBS San Diego airing in the 6 to 8 pm slot.  In the first episode they had to bake Madeira cake and the person who I thought was the weakest was eliminated. In the second episode one of the things they had to do was to bake cookies and and make a decorated container for these out of ginger bread dough, etc.. It was very impressive. One of the contestants is a fireman by profession and he reminds me in looks a bit of Matthew Goode. He has been very solid and likable so far. They are all very talented.

On 7/19/2016 at 7:03 PM, walnutqueen said:

I am so sorry for your loss, jenh526.  My Mum has been in hospice in Canada for the past month ...  :-(

Thanks walnutqueen. And I'm sorry your mum is sick too. My mom was in hospice for 4 days, and even though the hospice staff were incredible, it was still the most painful thing I've ever been through. Wishing you peace in this difficult time.

• Love 1

Tonight KPBS San Diego aired  "Bread" - in which the bakers had to make bread sculptures. And then "Dessert", they were making Creme Brule and cheese cakes. I have to say I am enjoying this season even more than last year. These guys are so talented.

• Love 1

OPB (Oregon Public Broadcasting) has two "streams" for showing episodes.  It is airing two new episodes on Friday nights, then on Saturday 6pm one episode which is usually 2-3 episodes behind the Friday schedule.  So you can take the fast watch or the slow watch option I guess :)

• Love 1
14 hours ago, magdalene said:

Tonight KPBS San Diego aired  "Bread" - in which the bakers had to make bread sculptures. And then "Dessert", they were making Creme Brule and cheese cakes. I have to say I am enjoying this season even more than last year. These guys are so talented.

It was such a nice treat to see two episodes airing on KPBS, wasn't it?

• Love 2
6 hours ago, DHDancer said:

So you can take the fast watch or the slow watch option I guess :)

Show of hands: Who would rather that PBS aired this nationwide on Sunday evenings starting late last winter (around the finish of Downton Abbey) and going into the spring - AS THEY SHOULD HAVE DONE - rather than jammed in higgledy-piggledy on Friday nights in the summer with each station doing it's own thing?  I remain totally flummoxed by this decision.

• Love 7

I'm happy with Friday nights because there's never anything else on that I care to watch on Fridays and FN usually has shows I follow on Sundays.  I do wish they'd do just one episode per week though, mainly because the season would last longer.  I hate to see it over so quickly.

• Love 1

I enjoy getting two episodes in a row, the only thing I don't like about it is that this makes the season shorter. But I want to see all the seasons of the show.  I am feeling cheated by PBS that they are calling last year's episodes the "first season" and this year the second when Google tells me otherwise.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Show of hands: Who would rather that PBS aired this nationwide on Sunday evenings starting late last winter (around the finish of Downton Abbey) and going into the spring - AS THEY SHOULD HAVE DONE - rather than jammed in higgledy-piggledy on Friday nights in the summer with each station doing it's own thing?  I remain totally flummoxed by this decision.

The Friday bit doesn't bug me, and I'm enjoying the two at a time because I always want more of this show, but I'm with you that just running one a week straight through for some consistent period, rather than this weird "the commercials and their website say one thing, but to each his own every local PBS" schtick is not cool, yo.

Do any of you have Apple TV or Roku? It takes away all the confusion about stations and schedules - I just wait for the newest episodes to appear in the PBS app on my Apple TV. They don't keep the episodes on there indefinitely - it's usually the 3 most recent at any given time, but it's a super easy and convenient way to watch, and perfect quality.

On July 19, 2016 at 3:17 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

That is cool. I never knew what WGBH stood for and I would see it all the time here in Chicago because they sponsored a lot of the nationally televised programs. I would have thought that the B stood for Boston somehow. I think a lot of the older stations' call letters have more history associated with them.

There's an old Boston joke that 'GBH  stood for "God Bless Harvard."

• Love 2

So apparently the semi-final and final episodes will be going up against the Olympics. Genius, PBS, genius.

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 8:45 PM, Rinaldo said:

I don't really care about how PBS numbers the seasons (though it does make it confusing for those just coming to it), as long as they eventually get to all of them.

Right now seasons 1 and 2 are easily viewed on a well-known website I won't mention, but I think you can guess.  Season 3 is promised for August. It makes for interesting viewing because the 3 challenge format was there from the beginning, but a few things are different. First, they each had several episodes where they eliminated 2 bakers. Second, there are a lot more history bits scattered throughout the episodes. Sue especially visits a lot of places and interviews a lot of food historians. Third, Paul and Mary actively offer advice to the bakers. There none of Paul's "I know how to fix the mistake you're making but I can't tell you" nonsense. In fact there's one episode where he starts kneading a contestant's bread to show him how to do it.  I'm not sure why this changed, maybe they got grief about it from the British newspapers.

• Love 1

I think we're moving back to single episodes now, according to other stuff I've read.

Also, re the series renaming/renumbering, I think that's because CBS "bought" the rights to the first UK series 1-3.  With the failure of their US version, they released the rights which allowed PBS to pick it up (yay!!!)  So I extrapolate that could mean PBS will never air the original series because of the CBS thing...  Anyone read anything that would shed light on my speculation?

18 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

I've only seen 1 other season of GBBO and am now determined to find the others.  This is such a lovely show.  I find that I need to watch each episode twice to catch little comments and moments.  

If you ever find the first 3 (the ones that aired only on BBC and CBS has the rights to), please let us know! I've looked a little and didn't have any luck. The first PBS season is on Netflix. And I have access to all three PBS seasons on their site via their "Passport" which is a gift above a certain donation level. 

This season I've been rewatching episodes, too. I usually don't rewatch -- my TV time is astronomical and if feels silly to expand it to watch the same thing twice -- but it's really helped me better track the bakers' progress. I've been watching with a friend and didn't realize how much I was missing! Besides, summer TV is such a wasteland I certainly have the time.

13 hours ago, snarktini said:

If you ever find the first 3 (the ones that aired only on BBC and CBS has the rights to), please let us know! I've looked a little and didn't have any luck.

Check the website most famous for videos. You know the one I mean. I have watched the UK seasons 1 and 2 there in the last few weeks. Just search for Great British Bake Off, not Great British Baking Show. 

ETA: If that's not enough of a hint, PM me.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Check the website most famous for videos. You know the one I mean. I have watched the UK seasons 1 and 2 there in the last few weeks. Just search for Great British Bake Off, not Great British Baking Show. 

ETA: If that's not enough of a hint, PM me.

Thanks! I checked maybe 6 months ago and only found a few episodes. Sounds like some new stuff has gone up! (Or perhaps my search skills were defective that day. Maybe I did use the wrong name.)

Edited by snarktini

There are topics for each individual episode being shown in the US now. This one is just about PBS-shenanigans. They list the original airdates (per the usual thread naming convention), but they're there, pinned even.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 1

DC is still all over the place.  One channel finished airing it, one is still showing it and one just decided to take a break for a few weeks.

PBS is now selling US season 3 (the one that just aired/is airing) on ITunes also. 

My PBS affiliate continues to baffle me. First, they decided to wait until "autumn" to begin airing this season. Thankfully, I was able to watch it On Demand on the same schedule as most of the country. Now they have finally scheduled the actual broadcast, beginning on Monday - Labor Day, a holiday. In addition, it's on at 11:00 A.M., every day this week and through Wednesday of next. It doesn't show in the schedule after that, so who knows about the rest of the episodes. It's like they're just burning it off (no repeat airings either, apparently, to catch more of an audience). Maybe it wasn't popular in my area, but geeze, that's disappointing treatment.

Side note: I see that Netflix is dropping the one season that they've had. Gone as of 10/1/16. No idea if it's altogether or if they're just carrying one season at a time and so swapping for another. Hopefully the latter.