Type keyword(s) to search

The Great British Baking Show On PBS

• Start Topic

I'm not sure which season it is, because I get confused about their season and when it airs in the US, but we're getting another season on Sunday afternoons.

I hadn't seen it before...it has Martha the 17 year old and (this is really bad) I can see faces but not quite put names to them. Does this make sense to anyone lol?

Just wondering if anyone else it catching this or is it super old and they're just re-airing it for some reason?

5 minutes ago, SirOsisOfLiver said:

Martha is from UK season 5 along with Chetna, Richard the builder, Lavender Norman and Iain of Baked Alaska fame. Don't know what season PBS called it.

That was a great season. If it's on I'll be watching again.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, illini1959 said:

I'm not sure which season it is, because I get confused about their season and when it airs in the US, but we're getting another season on Sunday afternoons.

I hadn't seen it before...it has Martha the 17 year old and (this is really bad) I can see faces but not quite put names to them. Does this make sense to anyone lol?

Just wondering if anyone else it catching this or is it super old and they're just re-airing it for some reason?

5 minutes ago, SirOsisOfLiver said:

Martha is from UK season 5 along with Chetna, Richard the builder, Lavender Norman and Iain of Baked Alaska fame. Don't know what season PBS called it.

This was the first season that PBS aired so it's Season 1 in their lexicon. See my post here for the list of the seasons that PBS has aired so far.

Martha is from UK season 5 along with Chetna, Richard the builder, Lavender Norman and Iain of Baked Alaska fame. 

My PBS station has been showing Master Class on Sunday afternoons which I've enjoyed.  Then they suddenly started showing this old season with no explanation.  I'm delighted to be able to watch it again but it did seem sort of random.  I'm hoping they'll rerun all the seasons they have rights to now.

Thanks everyone!

I have only seen 2 seasons, so this one's new to me.

So sad about BBC not carrying it anymore, I love this show.

21 hours ago, Athena said:

This was the first season that PBS aired so it's Season 1 in their lexicon. See my post here for the list of the seasons that PBS has aired so far.

Thank you! I'll check this out :)

8 hours ago, justmehere said:

Netflix streaming now has all three seasons that PBS has aired.

That's good news.  I can pull them off my DVR and free up 30% of my storage capacity!

ETA: It was only 18% but at least now I won't get a warning every time I try to record something. For a while.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, justmehere said:

Netflix streaming now has all three seasons that PBS has aired.

Ah, dammit. I went out and brought Series 4-6 from Amazon and got the PBS Passport to watch the masterclasses. (I even tried so hard to pretend I was British and buy Series 1-3, 7. No dice.)

Looking forward to Series 7 (PBS Season 4) on PBS this summer. That is, if I'm reading the news right. Who knows, with all the fake news out there. <eyeroll>

• Love 1

Loved the Master Class episodes. This is my favorite reality show and everyone I've told about it has come to love it too. I feel so happy after watching it unlike a lot of a lot of reality shows that leave you trembling at the future of our species. I'm  making the Sussex Pond Pudding today and am excited to see what's happens. Rather expensive recipe as suet is basically impossible to find locally so I had to order it online where it was not cheap! But the minimum order was big enough that it should last me many more bakes.

• Love 2

Yesterday's episode was pie.

I have to say as much as I LOVE everything about this show, the people, England! - I would starve lol!

Some of those fillings looked hideous but their pastry looked delish.

I wondered if they were going to let anyone go since Diane is unable to complete the season, but they did. (Thanks to Athena I know this is the 1st season aired by PBS)

Brits do put some...interesting...things into their pies. And don't get me started on blood sausage (which is not specifically British but still)

illini1959, if you do ever go to England, the ethnic stuff is usually a good bet. Best meals I had last summer when I was there were at a Turkish joint and an Indian-Nepalese restaurant. 

• Love 1

Thanks, Netflix, for three seasons of this gem.  Watching season one again (actually four) and just finished the Baked Alaska Iain fiasco.  Did we ever find out how the ice cream got left out?  Isn't really clear though it looked like poor Diana might have known.  

I've seen actual seasons 1-3 via the Tube of You but it takes some work and picture quality is dicey.  Loved them.

How on earth could the BBC screw this up so badly?

(edited)
2 hours ago, limecoke said:

Thanks, Netflix, for three seasons of this gem.  Watching season one again (actually four) and just finished the Baked Alaska Iain fiasco.  Did we ever find out how the ice cream got left out?  Isn't really clear though it looked like poor Diana might have known.  

I've seen actual seasons 1-3 via the Tube of You but it takes some work and picture quality is dicey.  Loved them.

How on earth could the BBC screw this up so badly?

It's said that because some freezers on Iain's side were not working (plus those Smeg fridges are simply inadequate for the challenge) they were scrambling for space. Iain put his in one next to Diana's station. She found out someone else's was in the supposed 'her' freezer and just took it out. That's what she had to say about the mistake itself in a radio interview. While everyone involved agreed that the baked alaska was out of the freezer only briefly (for about 40 seconds) & her mistake was hardly the main cause of its melting and I feel so sorry that she had to endure hellish public furore over such an inconsequential matter I also find her explanation for leaving someone else's out without telling not quite satisfactory - was she going to ask whose alaska it was then forgot about it or did she just not care?  

BBC: The truth about the GBBO baked Alaska, according to Diana
PBS: Explaining the #Bingate Controversy to America

Anyway, last year Great British Bake Off Contestant Iain Watters Celebrates Wedding With Baked Alaska
Several contestants from the season, including Diana, attended the wedding. (Pics/Tweets in the article) So all is well. :)

Edited by sum
  • Love 1
On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 10:29 AM, aulait said:

as suet is basically impossible to find locally

Did you ask your butcher?  I only see suet during the winter (and what my butchers put out is mixed with birdseed because it's literally for the birds) but it's only beef fat.

Has anyone caught Paul Hollywood's City Bakes on the Cooking channel? It's a fun show.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Has anyone caught Paul Hollywood's City Bakes on the Cooking channel? It's a fun show.

I have. I think I still prefer his BBC shows ( guess no more of those ) but I like the travelling aspect. I got the cookbook for Christmas too so I'll probably try some stuff from that eventually.

Thanks, sum, for the follow-up info on Iain.  Not surprised it caused a huge Twitter kerfuffle.  I also loved that Iain had a sense of humor about it and served it as his wedding.  Poor Diana.  A bit of poor judgment in setting it out but certainly nothing malicious and nothing worthy of such hatred and vitriol.  I'm still a little amused that it was only 77 degrees but probably was hotter in the tent.  Don't they have blast chillers in that thing?

1 hour ago, limecoke said:

I'm still a little amused that it was only 77 degrees but probably was hotter in the tent.  Don't they have blast chillers in that thing?

Tents do make things hotter and there are a lot of people working on the show that we don't see. England can also be very humid in the summer so it probably felt much hotter than it was.

While they use the fridge for a lot of challenges, they don't use the freezer as much so buying blast chillers would have been a bit of a waste. Blast chillers are very expensive. It probably would remove the amateur baking competition of it because non-pros (and even most pros) don't own blast chillers at home.

(edited)
21 hours ago, limecoke said:

Thanks, sum, for the follow-up info on Iain.  Not surprised it caused a huge Twitter kerfuffle.  I also loved that Iain had a sense of humor about it and served it as his wedding.  Poor Diana.  A bit of poor judgment in setting it out but certainly nothing malicious and nothing worthy of such hatred and vitriol.  I'm still a little amused that it was only 77 degrees but probably was hotter in the tent.  Don't they have blast chillers in that thing?

Limecoke, contrary to the PBS blurb, there isn't consensus on the temperature or even how long Iain's dish was out of the freezer. Paul, who had no empathy for Iain's emotional breakdown, noted it was much hotter than 77.

I'm not going to repeat my rants about production or Diana here, but there was exhaustive discussion about this in the episode-specific thread. 

When watching this past season, Richard and Iain both noted (spoiler-free tweet) that production has now increased the number of freezers, giving each contestant their own. And amusingly, one of contestants in the recent Christmas specials attempted a Baked Alaska.

Edited by halopub
grammar
On 3/2/2017 at 7:55 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

Did you ask your butcher?  I only see suet during the winter (and what my butchers put out is mixed with birdseed because it's literally for the birds) but it's only beef fat.

I went to three high end groceries and two regular grocers and asked for it specifically and no one had any. One said that it did usually have some but they were totally sold out. The nearest real butcher is about 30 minutes away so I decided to just order online. Suet isn't just beef fat... its specifically fat from around the kidneys and heart. Regular beef fat trimmings could have been had easily but it was the particular fat from around the kidneys/heart  that was difficult to find and while I'm usually amenable to substitutions I really wanted to do this the "real" way :) 

Due to my guests being sick last week I didn't get to make it... but today is the day!

I'm rewatching US season 4 on Netflix, & saw the baked Alaska episode again. The whole thing was just weird, & Iain should never have thrown his away. Chetna's was just as melted as his, & she presented hers & didn't get eliminated.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, aulait said:

Suet isn't just beef fat... its specifically fat from around the kidneys and heart.

That probably explains why it's harder to find. Americans aren't into organ meats much anymore.  I remember my mother making kidneys and hearts. She later insisted that she only made them for the dog and I just stole pieces, but I remember a dish of kidneys in cream gravy and I know that wasn't for the dog!   I loved them.

The Sussex Pond pudding was a success! Super easy to make. I am going to make more steamed puddings. Nice to have the oven free. Plus I have a lot of suet to use up, lol. Mine didn't pond quite as much as seen on the TV version but still delicious.  My daughter was taking pictures and was really geeked about the whole thing. Every pic she took was shaky :) 

IMG_20170305_171515 (480x640).jpg

• Love 6

I'm rewatching season 2 (US) on Netflix & I am reminded how annoying Ruby and her whole "me?, you liked something that I baked? really? I'm so surprised!" routine is. It makes me want to smack her. I still don't know why she hates Paul so much.

• Love 4

I know I've already bitched about Ruby, but WOW, she is seriously annoying me this time around. Every time she makes that face because she doesn't like something (usually criticism of her bake) I can feel my blood pressure rise. She has got such an attitude. On the other hand, I had also forgotten how much I loved Kimberly & her cute face with the world's best smile.  

• Love 2

I react the same way to Ruby. I know she had her internal issues, but then we all do. I have read defenses of her behavior as "modesty," but to me it's exactly the opposite: arrogance. It's saying "It's important that you know that this is not up to my high standards," rather than just staying quiet and letting your creation speak for you (which it often did quite well, in fact). 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Rinaldo said:

I react the same way to Ruby. I know she had her internal issues, but then we all do. I have read defenses of her behavior as "modesty," but to me it's exactly the opposite: arrogance. It's saying "It's important that you know that this is not up to my high standards," rather than just staying quiet and letting your creation speak for you (which it often did quite well, in fact). 

It's not "modesty" it's humble bragging.

• Love 3

I love KAF! The website is terrific. Be sure to check in on April 1, when they post disasters from the test kitchen. Some of the photos are hilarious, and it's always great to see that professionals don't always get the desired results.

• Love 1

I watched episodes one and two of (apparently)  UK season 1 which is currently running on our local PBS station.  So glad any incarnation of this show is back!  My husband and I were marveling at the casting, so different than American reality TV shows.  Old people, weird-looking people, unattractive people--it doesn't matter to the Brits.  You just have to be able to bake.  I really liked Nancy and Richard, the first two Star Bakers. Nancy and her cupcake guillotine, how cute.

5 hours ago, susannot said:

I watched episodes one and two of (apparently)  UK season 1 which is currently running on our local PBS station.  So glad any incarnation of this show is back!  My husband and I were marveling at the casting, so different than American reality TV shows.  Old people, weird-looking people, unattractive people--it doesn't matter to the Brits.  You just have to be able to bake.  I really liked Nancy and Richard, the first two Star Bakers. Nancy and her cupcake guillotine, how cute.

Really??? I don't think my PBS station is running it, damn. I just finished rewatching all 3 US seasons on Netflix, I want the first season too!

The seasons do get confusing. The info has been posted in various threads, and I am swiping @Athena's helpful list of equivalences from another thread.

• Season 1 of PBS's Baking Show is BBC Series 5 (2014).
  • Season 2 of PBS's Baking Show is BBC Series 4 (2013).
  • Season 3 of PBS's Baking Show is BBC Series 6 (2015).

So if your PBS says it's Season 1, it's Season 5 of the UK series.

30 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

The three seasons that we've seen on PBS are being released on DVD on April 11th. 

Yeah, baby! At Shop PBS. Not sure the Masterclasses are included, though.

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 11:02 AM, dubbel zout said:

I love KAF! The website is terrific. Be sure to check in on April 1, when they post disasters from the test kitchen. Some of the photos are hilarious, and it's always great to see that professionals don't always get the desired results.

And here it is: April Fool's Day blog

• Love 3
On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 4:33 PM, SirOsisOfLiver said:

If you're seeing Richard and Nancy, you're seeing UK Season 5. UK season 1 was 6 episodes and if I recall correctly, they moved the tent from one locale to another every episode.

Thank you and your hilarious use name, SirOsis.

2 hours ago, Eliza422 said:

Netflix now has the 3 seasons of master chef that correspond with the seasons we've seen here in the US. I love it! Paul and Mary are so good together! It's such a nice show to watch.

I think you mean Masterclass.  Masterchef is a whole different show.

Between the Masterclass episodes and the show he did where he visits bakeries in different cities in the U.S. and Europe my opinion of Paul has gone up a lot.  Whatever may have happened in his personal life, he seems like a pleasant straight-forward fellow with a good sense of humor.  And you know what else? The man always looks clean. I have no problem watching him getting his hands in there and start kneading dough.  Johnny Iuzzini (who's been paired with Mary on the American show) on the other hand, always looks like he needs a shower and a shave.

• Love 9
26 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I think you mean Masterclass.  Masterchef is a whole different show.

Between the Masterclass episodes and the show he did where he visits bakeries in different cities in the U.S. and Europe my opinion of Paul has gone up a lot.  Whatever may have happened in his personal life, he seems like a pleasant straight-forward fellow with a good sense of humor.  And you know what else? The man always looks clean. I have no problem watching him getting his hands in there and start kneading dough.  Johnny Iuzzini (who's been paired with Mary on the American show) on the other hand, always looks like he needs a shower and a shave.

Oops! You are right - masterclass. 

You are right, my opinion of Paul has improved greatly.

s imprvied 

On 4/25/2017 at 8:18 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

Between the Masterclass episodes and the show he did where he visits bakeries in different cities in the U.S. and Europe my opinion of Paul has gone up a lot. 

Yeah, I didn't warm up to Paul as a judge --  the persona he puts on there rubs me the wrong way. (It's the Tom Colicchio sniff-and-sneer, trying make the contestants doubt themselves and I hate that.). In Masterclass he's great! so much more relaxed and warm and light. His passion really comes through. Glad to have caught a few of these on PBS and in the depths of summer when there's nothing else on I'll watch the rest online.

• Love 2

I have no problems with Paul as a judge.  But on the Masterclass, particularly when he's making any kind of bread, he is magnificent!  He can mix, knead, and shape bread faster and more consistently than anyone I've ever seen.  He truly has talent.

• Love 6