Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 31 (2014-2015)

Athena
  • Start Topic

(edited)

I was watching a dvd, lost track of time and missed everything before the first commercial break, but looking at J! Archive, I can say that I'd have gotten all the clues except bear claw, and with a picture of one, I'd have gotten that too.

It was a pretty good game.  I didn't dislike Scott, but I won't really miss him either.

I didn't think gelato should have been accepted for what is sold at a gelateria - should have been ice cream.  She got a gift there.

Can't agree on this one.  Gelato IS what's sold at a gelateria.  It isn't just Italian for ice cream; it's a very specific type of ice cream.  Not her fault that the name of the shop contains the exact name of what it sells.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2
(edited)

I facetiously guessed "the deep" for that part of the ocean and was completely stunned to be right.

That was all I could come up with, but didn't say it because it seemed way too easy.  I also said "milkshake" for Dale Evans' horse - before my time, and her horse simply wasn't as famous as Trigger.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1

I was watching a dvd, lost track of time and missed everything before the first commercial break, but looking at J! Archive, I can say that I'd have gotten all the clues except bear claw, and with a picture of one, I'd have gotten that too.

It was a pretty good game.  I didn't dislike Scott, but I won't really miss him either.

Can't agree on this one.  Gelato IS what's sold at a gelateria.  It isn't just Italian for ice cream; it's a very specific type of ice cream.  Not her fault that the name of the shop contains the exact name of what it sells.

Now I've learned something from Jeopardy! and this forum.  It isn't the first time I've learned something here:)

• Love 2

Well, after all the contestant-dislike I may have spewed toward Arthur Chu, dancing Jennifer, and whomever else, I now know what it's like to be in the minority.  I liked Scott (and not just because we share a name.)  I thought the birthday party story was cool, I saw no problem whatsoever with "BYU" (I don't think there are any other universities that could be abbreviated that way--it's not like OSU/USC), and I was disappointed to see his misspelling of Scheherazade.  At least I had Alex's strange studio recording voice to entertain me.

• Love 2

I saw no problem whatsoever with "BYU"

I didn't either.  That's what every sports reporter or announcer calls it; I don't think I've heard it called "Brigham Young University" within a sports context in years.  Kind of like USC.

• Love 1

We had a very strange thing happen here on the Cleveland station - Single Jeopardy was the show with Scott in the winner position, and Double Jeopardy was from the next show with Scott gone, the blue-haired lady in the winner position and 2 new people. I rewound it a couple of times to see if it was something I did but it was definitely the station that screwed up.

• Love 4

Too bad your station doesn't do that on a regular basis, anniebird.  You could clean up betting on the winner of the next day's show the day before it airs.  Or tell people you're a time traveler from the future.

• Love 7

Never. When Alex said that I thought Luke was going to say four boys...and four girls. I think they just wanted to shoehorn the bible story in.

I have three sisters. I never knew I was part of an anomaly.

Thinking about it, I think Alex screwed up the anecdote/story -- it's not that he has three brothers that's the "interesting fact," it's the names. He just asks the wrong question sometimes. 

CAN anyone explain the My Little Pony category??

• Love 2

CAN anyone explain the My Little Pony category??

They've done other categories in a similar style .  I remember once it was heavy metal rock band names where you had to figure out the two words in the clue that would make up something that might sound like a heavy metal band name - not a real band name - examples would help but none come to mind.  So the My Little Pony category answers were supposed to sound like they might have been a My Little Pony name but weren't. 

I'm sure that isn't explained very well at all but maybe someone else can add to it  or just start over with a more lucid explanation.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm sure that isn't explained very well at all but maybe someone else can add to it  or just start over with a more lucid explanation.

... or not!

I still say "Barnacle" is not a good name for a pony, dog, parrot or any other living creature. Even a real barnacle could be named "Frankie" or something other than "Barnacle."

Barnacle as a proper name is along the same line as naming something Fungus or Toe Rot. I could go on ...

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1
Gelato IS what's sold at a gelateria.  It isn't just Italian for ice cream; it's a very specific type of ice cream.  Not her fault that the name of the shop contains the exact name of what it sells.

The clue almost belonged in a Stupid Question category, or whatever those are called.

Regarding the spelling of Sindbad, I didn't question it because a few months ago I had come across a 1963 movie on TV called Captain Sindbad. 

For FJ, I wrote down "Scheharezad." I knew I didn't spell it right, but I think it's ok phonetically.

I have a question: My memory is not too good, but I seem to recall a clue or question that referenced Led Zeppelin's song "Achilles Last Stand." Or maybe someone here mentioned it. The reason I ask is that this weekend a friend was telling me she heard that song in a bar having never heard it before although she's a huge LZ fan. I then said that it was on Jeopardy recently. Am I misremembering?

I was so disappointed in the Little Pony category. No Rainbow Dash or Twilight Sparkle to be found, just random nicknames. That category title made no sense!

I was disappointed too. All those times watching My Little Pony and buying various My Little Pony stuff with and for my niece was finally going to pay off. Not so much.

This relates to Monday's game:  It must be really stressful for a contestant to hit a DD - I absolutely can't believe Luke didn't get "degree."  

I liked all the contestants - Scott didn't bother me, at least he claps for the other contestants. 

I thought almost all of the questions were pretty easy (I am TERRIBLE at geography and Oscars and all kinds of other categories), so I was glad to see there were few stumpers.  Although, Buttermilk!  

I really feel bad for the show's insistence on correct spelling in FJ, although I guess it does remove the element of "close enough." 

• Love 1
(edited)

The judges actually asked for more information on 'What is Nehru ?' -- why are they enforcing this now ?  There's only been one prime minister of India with that name.  Especially with an easily mispronounced first name like Jawaharlal.

FJ was too easy.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 7

I felt so stupid not getting FJ tonight.  Although I've never watched an episode of Breaking Bad, I've heard his name often enough.

Sort of a slow game but it was okay, no one was particularly annoying. 

I would never have noticed Suzanne's blue hair if I hadn't heard about it here.

• Love 2

... or not!

I still say "Barnacle" is not a good name for a pony, dog, parrot or any other living creature. Even a real barnacle could be named "Frankie" or something other than "Barnacle."

Barnacle as a proper name is along the same line as naming something Fungus or Toe Rot. I could go on ...

I'm getting a new kitty in the near future. I may just name him Barnacle now - Barney to his friends. Or not...

• Love 10

Good, relatively easy game. I'm sorry Suzanne lost. Nothing against the new guy, he seems nice and not annoying, but I really liked her hair! And I normally hate hair dyed non-natural colors.

FJ was an instaget again. That's two for two for the week. Woohoo!

(edited)

I would never have noticed Suzanne's blue hair if I hadn't heard about it here.

I didn't either at first, it kind of blended in with the blue background. Good thing I checked since she's gone now.

Edited by Miss Chevious
  • Love 3

I was rooting for Jonathan, based on his "Presidential Adviser" story.

Ok, no just saying stuff like that and leaving it, with all of us "fast-forwarders on the board. Out with it: (Briefly), what did he say? So we can like him, too. ;)

• Love 1

Ok, no just saying stuff like that and leaving it, with all of us "fast-forwarders on the board. Out with it: (Briefly), what did he say? So we can like him, too. ;)

He ended up in an elevator one time with Bill Clinton, and Clinton asked him where he got his ice cream. He ended with "And that was the end of my brief career as a presidential advisor." It was the kind of thing that is not actually that much of a story, but he told it well. 

• Love 8

I don't claim to be an expert in Indian history, but was there another Nehru who had a significant enough role to possibly be confused with Jawaharlal Nehru?  Other than his cousin Carson Nehru, of course.

• Love 14

I really feel bad for the show's insistence on correct spelling in FJ, although I guess it does remove the element of "close enough."

They don't insist on correct spelling.  You can mis-spell your FJ answer as long as it doesn't change the pronunciation of the word.  Hence "Scherazade" is incorrect because it leaves out an entire syllable, whereas "Sheherazad" would be correct because it would be pronounced the same was as "Scheherazade".  Just like "Brigam Young" would've been ruled correct where "Bringham Young" was not.

I felt so stupid not getting FJ tonight.  Although I've never watched an episode of Breaking Bad, I've heard his name often enough.

I was thrown off by the category title and expected it to be a show from 2000-2009.  Don't know why, exactly, since I knew that blanco is Spanish for white.

• Love 4

I don't claim to be an expert in Indian history, but was there another Nehru who had a significant enough role to possibly be confused with Jawaharlal Nehru?  Other than his cousin Carson Nehru, of course.

Per Wikipedia, Jawaharlal Nehru is the only person with the Nehru surname that has a university named after them (and in this case, he has two universities named after him).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_colleges_and_universities_named_after_people

• Love 1

I enjoyed Breaking Bad but I think finally there have been enough questions about it.  There are other iconic TV dramas...

I see your point, but I thought that was a pretty good question. I don't think it was FJ-worthy, but it was a nice bit of trivia about the show.

There were other political Nehru's, but I don't think a BMS was required for this one.

Other than his cousin Carson Nehru, of course.

:D. Exactly.

• Love 1

"Then, of course, there was Jacket Nehru."

Didn't Nehru realize that "his" jacket would inspire the sartorial sensibilities of Dr. Evil and other cheesy movie villains, as well as the countless uniforms that sci-fi folks wore?

• Love 3
(edited)

Thanks, Jesse!

Guess I'd better add that his story does give him a head-start in the "impress-this-hard-to-please" J. fan area. When I think of some of the contestant stories I used to have to listen to....

Edited by just prin
  • Love 2

There's Barnacle Bill the Sailor. Or Fungus Bill. Toe Rot Bill.

I'm among those for whom FJ was an instaget, despite never having seen Breaking Bad. One would have had to have been in a deep coma for the past several years to have never heard of Walter White. 

BMS when the answer is Nehru? The judging can get pretty nuts on this show. Was that the question where the new champ said something like "I don't have any" when asked for more information? Most people just shrug when asked that and they don't know, it was kind of odd to hear someone actually answer that they don't have an answer.

• Love 3

Is it wrong that I wanted the woman in the middle to win with just $14?

And FJ today was an insta-get for me.  I love both the book and the mini-series of The Thorn Birds (mmmm, Richard Chamberlain...).

• Love 11
(edited)

Note- Troy Tulowitzki no longer hopes to lead the Colorado Rockies to the World Series. He was traded yesterday.

Yep, to the Blue Jays - he can lead them to the World Series.  Go Blue Jays!

Re FJ, The Thorn Birds came to me right away but Colleen McCullough took another few seconds.

It was a pretty good game until they got to FJ.

Edited to correct my spelling of her last name.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 1
(edited)

Looks like Alex got better during the day, since they only had to re-record part of his audio this time.

Alex always has to comment when a champ comes in under $10,000 or so. He's going to be unbearable tomorrow. 

Re FJ, The Thorn Birds came to me right away but Colleen McCulloch took another few seconds.

Surprised that it was a TS, but was I the only one who almost picked Carson McCullers?

Edited by LadyintheLoop
  • Love 3

Holy cow! What an ending! I was rooting for local boy, Colby, and was disappointed with FJ until the very end. Since he's from Denver, I don't know why he didn't ring in on this:

Note- Troy Tulowitzki no longer hopes to lead the Colorado Rockies to the World Series. He was traded yesterday.

Bye, bye, Tulo. We're going to miss you. *sniff*

For FJ, do you think they would have accepted, "Oh, shit. Who's the lady who wrote the Thorn Birds?"

• Love 4

He's lucky to be alive. Jeopardy has a way of mentioning people in clues shortly before they die.

• Love 6

It was just at the bottom of the shot, so I'm not sure if this is what I saw, but during the end-of-show stand-and-chat, it looked as if Alex was reaching into his wallet and pretending to hand the champ some bills.  Which I hope is true, 'cause it's pretty funny.

• Love 4

I thought final jeopardy was pretty easy too. A really dumb bet from the champ. Why bet everything he was close to the 22nd place guy but not so close that he had to risk everything.

• Love 2

I thought FJ was super easy.

That ketchup-and-mustard rose was gorgeous.

I thought FJ was super easy, too.  I can't be too smug, though.  I didn't get any of the roses, except Iceberg.

That FJ wagering was crazy.   

And what was with all the extra comments from Alex after someone answered the clue?  Just shut up Alex and let the contestant pick the next category.  And they re-recorded his comments after his voice was better?

• Love 2

When I was ready to start reading "grownup books," my mom suggested the Thorn Birds since it was her favorite book.  I might have been 10 at the time.  (My dad suggested Lonesome Dove.  We're an odd family.)  Thank you Mom, for helping me get a FJ TS!

• Love 4

No, Dxd...

Never been in a coma, never heard of Walter White.

But have never been mathematically challenged to bet it all when I was leading into FJ, so not totally clueless either.........

• Love 4

I thought FJ was super easy, too.  I can't be too smug, though.  I didn't get any of the roses, except Iceberg.

That FJ wagering was crazy.   

And what was with all the extra comments from Alex after someone answered the clue?  Just shut up Alex and let the contestant pick the next category.  And they re-recorded his comments after his voice was better?

Iceberg was the one I didn't get. I thought of butter lettuce.

FJ was a shocker; I couldn't believe it was a TS. The only guess that made any sense was Lessing, even though she wasn't Australian. I was also sad that no one recognized "You'll have to answer to the Coca-Cola company" from Dr. Strangelove

Funny, I had the perception that Alex's laryngitis cut down on his random comments.

• Love 3

Be more specific on Marley from A Christmas Carol?  Like it could've been Bob Marley?  (To be completely honest, I blew that one because I misread the clue and thought it was asking for the title of the book, but still.)

• Love 7

Iceberg was the one I didn't get. I thought of butter lettuce.

I guessed iceberg because the rose was white. I also correctly guessed Downton Abbey from the clue (and that rose, Anna's something, was also gorgeous. I don't remember if I got any of the others.

I was also sad that no one recognized "You'll have to answer to the Coca-Cola company" from Dr. Strangelove.

I was kicking myself for not getting it. One of my favorite movie quotes is "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here.!This is the War Room!" With the Coca-Cola quote, my mind went to the James Cagney film 'One, Two, Three' where he plays an executive for Coca-Cola.

Be more specific on Marley from A Christmas Carol?  Like it could've been Bob Marley?  

Uhhhh. in my head I said "Who is Bob Marley.' THAT'S why you don't give a first name until asked.

• Love 2