Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 31 (2014-2015)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I call fowl on the answer regarding the U.S.S. Pennsylvania being just a ship. It was a battleship, so the lady contestant was correct. I also call BS on Scott's FJ answer of Icelandic Airlines. They were asking for the country (small land) NOT the airline.

I guessed Ireland for FJ but was pretty sure that was incorrect.

I was firmly on Team Scott since he got that St. Vitus Dance woman off my screen, but he lost me, too, when he bragged about his hideously expensive birthday party. I wish either of the other contestants had won - both smart and personable.

• Love 8

I'm mad that Icelandic Airlines was an acceptable answer. We were so close to a new champ!!

I wonder, does Icelandair advertise much outside of the northeast? I am actually in Boston, and they have a pretty strong presence. 

• Love 5
I call fowl on the answer regarding the U.S.S. Pennsylvania being just a ship. It was a battleship, so the lady contestant was correct. I also call BS on Scott's FJ answer of Icelandic Airlines. They were asking for the country (small land) NOT the airline.

Per the link below, the USS Pennsylvania used for this plane landing was designated as an armored cruiser.  So, I'm going to have to go with the judges on this one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Pennsylvania_(ACR-4)

• Love 2
(edited)

I think you mean "foul", though I agree. I was trying to figure out where Alex was going there. I had no clue about FJ, but, judging from BYU, I wonder if I.A. would have been acceptable? Good game, though. Scott came from behind, as always. (That doesn't sound right.)

Edited by NorthstarATL
  • Love 4

Per the link below, the USS Pennsylvania used for this plane landing was designated as an armored cruiser.  So, I'm going to have to go with the judges on this one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Pennsylvania_(ACR-4)

Ah, I was going by this - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Pennsylvania_(BB-38) Wrong ship, I guess.

I think you mean "foul", though I agree. I was trying to figure out where Alex was going there. I had no clue about FJ, but, judging from BYU, I wonder if I.A. would have been acceptable? Good game, though. Scott came from behind, as always. (That doesn't sound right.)

Fowl, foul, growl. What are you, a Jeopardy! judge? ;-)

• Love 6

Fowl, foul, growl. What are you, a Jeopardy! judge? ;-)

LOL!!! Hey, leave her (him?) alone, north! Calling a barnyard animal is perfectly fine in many instances!!!  And we're not all baseball fans!! ;)

• Love 3

Geez, I couldn't wait to have a long-term champ, but after reading what you all have said he's "graced" us with, he can't get off my screen soon enuf now! And he looks so harmless, too. Shame.

• Love 3
(edited)

LOL!!! Hey, leave her (him?) alone, north! Calling a barnyard animal is perfectly fine in many instances!!! And we're not all baseball fans!! ;)

Plus it did not change the pronunciation.

And since we have all weekend to kill:

FJ- Baseball Terms

Answer- A batted pitch not hit fair may be considered this

If I write "What is a fowl ball", are you accepting it?

Edited by GaryE
  • Love 3

Per the rules of the game, yes I'm accepting it ... while making slight fun of you for it.  If I'm Alex, probably with some awkward joke.

• Love 4

I'm mad that Icelandic Airlines was an acceptable answer. We were so close to a new champ!!

It wouldn't have changed the outcome, though, if the judges had counted him wrong. Not with the others guessing Belgium. 

I can't remember seeing a chess category on there before! That was fun, and I would have run it except for the equality clue. 

• Love 1

Great! I've now become the laughing stock of this forum. :-(

Only with love and respect though. Until you become a contestant on the show. Then we crush you. :)

• Love 15

I really liked the current champ initially, but his boasting about his extravagant spending (or his wife's) has turned me off.  If you've got so damned much money to throw around, don't come on my favorite show to win more.  Let some poor but smart sap have a chance!

I liked someone earlier's suggestion that he donate his winnings to a cause, but we know that won't happen.  He's a lawyer.... Ugh.

And, was I the only one who thought his final jeopardy answer should have been deemed incorrect because his letters trailed off so that you couldn't read them. So how could they KNOW whether the pronunciation would be accurate/acceptable?

Not that I want the dancing Jennifer person back...........

• Love 3

Someone upthread mentioned that he looks like Vincent Price.  I think he looks like Eric Roberts who so often plays a sleazy character.

I still think he resembles Vincent Price but if you think he looks like a sleazy Eric Roberts, I'm happy to go with your opinion.

• Love 2
FJ- Baseball Terms

Answer- A batted pitch not hit fair may be considered this

Yes, if I amend your FJ category to: "Barnyard Baseball Terms."

I am another who pays no attention to the interviews, so didn't have a clue The Champ (or his wife) is an extravagant spender. So thanks all yous guys for making me disappointed he won yet again ... from behind, no less. (Intended pun)

• Love 2

I still think he resembles Vincent Price but if you think he looks like a sleazy Eric Roberts, I'm happy to go with your opinion.

Oh, definitely there's some Vincent Price in his looks too.  Who plays creepy characters.

Actually I like Scott well enough except for his habit of starting in the middle of categories.

• Love 2

Only with love and respect though. Until you become a contestant on the show. Then we crush you. :)

Rolling on the floor!! Sooo glad we have some amusing critters on this board. Because there are very few who get the chance to show their senses of humor on the show of the same name. (Subtly, of course, without appearing as dancing fools and such)!

• Love 3

While i know Montana's state motto is gold and silver, it was not a bad guess for the northern lights clue. Trebek made the person who answered that seem like they were some sort of a drooling moron. But I imagine the lights can be seen in Montana better and more often than in Illinois, and I have seen them in Illinois.

So, take THAT, Trebek.

• Love 4

When you guys play along with the show at home, do you answer in the form of a question?

Just curious. I don't. :)

I do half and half. Sometimes, I'll just say it without the question to get it out, but I usually answer in the form of a question for FJ because there is time.

• Love 2
(edited)

I don't, intentionally, because it became an embarrassing habit when I used to.  I hear people on other game shows answering a straightforward question with "What is . . . ?"  (On that NPR show Ask Me Another, for example--it happens all the time.)  Jeopardy!-itis.

Edited by Mondrianyone
  • Love 2

That was a good game -- not a lot of TS, and everyone was really close together going into FJ.

I'm just surprised 2 out of 3 of them got it wrong.  I guessed Icelandic Airlines right off the bat.

I wouldn't have given Scott credit for a correct answer, as the clue seemed to be asking for the country, not the airline.  Wouldn't have made a difference, winner-wise, but still characteristic of the sloppy and inconsistent judging on the show lately.

When you guys play along with the show at home, do you answer in the form of a question?

Just curious. I don't. :)

Absolutely.  And I get mad at my mother when she doesn't.

• Love 2

On J-archives, the answer given is "Iceland" and the clue states "This small land's airline advertises a "stopover": 7 nights at no extra travel charge to break up a Boston-Brussels trip". From the clue, it sounds like it's looking for the country ("This small land", not "this national airline") but I can see where the confusion could occur, and it's not like he could say "Iceland" and then have Alex ask him to be more specific if the clue was in fact looking for the airline.

• Love 1

Accepting either the country or the airline reminds me of this FJ clue, where they would have accepted the team or the logo:

SPORTS LOGOS
This NFL team's logo is the only one that is a plant

• Love 2
(edited)
I hear people on other game shows answering a straightforward question with "What is . . . ?"

On the old show Win Ben Stein's Money, anyone who answered in the form of a question (and it happened fairly often, there was apparently lots of crossover between the two shows' fans) had to wear a dunce cap for the rest of the game!

Edited by DXD526
  • Love 5

I felt sorry for today's contestants, who didn't have the benefit of Dubbed Alex like we did. Lord, he sounded terrible before they swapped out the audio. I think they need to have a backup host for situations like that. It must've been a hard game to play.

• Love 10
Which I think is how it should be, especially if they're throwing $55K birthday parties for themselves.

When I heard Scott's winnings for the past four days, I thought, "How nice, now he's assured vulgarly expensive birthday parties for the next two years!"  Me-ow.  The "Dancing Queen" answer brought back unfortunate memories of Jennifer. 

Scott's misspelling of "Scheherazade" cost him the game. Is this karma paying him back for his BYU answer?

• Love 11

I thought it was payback too:)  Don't mess with karma.

I like the new champ.  I liked Luke too but he was a little on the slow side.

How old did I feel when I answered Buttermilk right away for Dale Evan's horse and nobody got it!

I didn't think gelato should have been accepted for what is sold at a gelateria - should have been ice cream.  She got a gift there.

• Love 5
(edited)

I liked Suzanne. I did not like some of her terrible DJ answers.

I mean, I get it. You might not be familiar with Dale Evans's horse, but milkshake was silly (and I feel like chocolate milk was also silly, to be honest). And she must not watch much TV if she thinks Celine Dion sings "I Will Remember You."

I never cared about Scott one way or the other but I really do like Suzanne so I hope she can keep it going.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 4

I like Suzanne and her purplish hair. Edgy but not freakish.

Was anyone else screaming DEGREE at Luke? And since when is a family with four kids considered exceptionally large?

For the DD in the first round, Suzanne had $800 and wagered $1,000. Alex said, "$1,000 only? Okay." I said, "WTF!?"

Scott's story about sailing in the Caribbean sent me over the edge into dislike territory. His winnings should pay for some nice birthday parties and pirate costumes. I can't hate him, though, since he deposed the Dancing Queen.

Oh, and FJ was an instaget. I love Scheherazade. I wonder if they study it at BYU?

• Love 5
I liked Suzanne. I did not like some of her terrible DJ answers.

I never cared about Scott one way or the other but I really do like Suzanne so I hope she can keep it going.

It will be a surprise to me if she wins another game.  She only won today because she had the lead going into FJ. 

• Love 2

I like Suzanne and her purplish hair. Edgy but not freakish.

I didn't pay attention during most of the show, but I was looking at her during FJ thinking "is it me, or does she have blue hair?"   I like her.

Was anyone else screaming DEGREE at Luke?

Yes, and they never hear me when I do...

• Love 5

And since when is a family with four kids considered exceptionally large?

Never. When Alex said that I thought Luke was going to say four boys...and four girls. I think they just wanted to shoehorn the bible story in.

I have three sisters. I never knew I was part of an anomaly.

• Love 2

I felt sorry for today's contestants, who didn't have the benefit of Dubbed Alex like we did. Lord, he sounded terrible before they swapped out the audio. I think they need to have a backup host for situations like that. It must've been a hard game to play.

It'll be like this for the next week too, won't it? Because they tape the whole week's worth of shows in one day?

I didn't think gelato should have been accepted for what is sold at a gelateria - should have been ice cream.  She got a gift there.

Gelato and ice cream are not technically the same thing, and it is gelato that is sold at a gelateria. If you really wanted to be pedantic, it's "ice cream" that should have been considered incorrect.

• Love 12

Thank you! We missed the beginning and my husband kept shrugging when I'd say it sounded funny.

• Love 1
(edited)

Totally, but then I started doubting myself because Luke was taking so long and it was after all a DD. Silly me.

Gelato and ice cream are not technically the same thing, and it is gelato that is sold at a gelateria.

I feel the same way and think the judges played themselves trying to be clever and/or assuming players wouldn't know what a gelateria is.

Karma indeed for Scott, and I like to think the "Bringham Young" lady pointed at the TV and yelled "womp womp" just like I did.

Edited by YoureSoUrban
  • Love 7

I mean, I get it. You might not be familiar with Dale Evans's horse, but milkshake was silly (and I feel like chocolate milk was also silly, to be honest). And she must not watch much TV if she thinks Celine Dion sings "I Will Remember You."

"Chocolate milk" was not only silly, it was flat-out wrong for the category, since it isn't a compound.

And Suzanne might not know who the singer is if she does what I do and changes the channel the instant that PSA comes on because she Can't. Take.  It.  Please, here's my credit-card number.  Here's my entire IRA.  Just don't show me those poor animals with that song behind them for one more second.

By then I had escalated to "Use your head, for God's sake!"  But neither Luke nor God stepped up.  He seemed to go totally brain-dead at every DD for some reason.

• Love 7

It'll be like this for the next week too, won't it? Because they tape the whole week's worth of shows in one day?

I wondered about that because at the end Alex said to Suzanne, "We'll see you on our next show."  And I think he usually says "We'll see you tomorrow."  I wasn't sure if that meant they would give him a couple days off to get better. 

I was so glad to see Scott lose that way (karma, indeed).  I really like Suzanne and hope she isn't just a one time champ.  She was doing so well in the beginning and then making really dumb guesses in DJ (milkshake?).  I was worried she would flame out at the end.  Thank you Karma!  

• Love 1

I was trying to figure out if Suzanne's hair was blue or if if was a blue-based black that was reflecting the set behind her. Far away shots looked more blackish. I enjoyed her and secretly hope her hair is blue though.

I knew FJ but probably would have screwed up the spelling bad enough to not get credit.

I was disappointed that "density" was a TS. I should have been a geographer.

• Love 1
(edited)

Were my eyes playing tricks with me?  I could swear the FJ clue contained "The Sea and

Sin[d]bad's Ship" reference with Sinbad misspelled.  Anyone else see this?

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 1
(edited)

The lady's voice reminded me of Nora Dunn, so I couldn't hold anything against her. I like Nora Dunn.

When Alex announced he had a cold, I shouted to the cats, "Hey! Maybe we'll have some foreign word pronunciations for him to REALLY murder!" and then they dubbed him in.  Phooey.

I facetiously guessed "the deep" for that part of the ocean and was completely stunned to be right.

FJ: Y'all know Scherazade - she's friends with Maria Sharpova.

As soon as I saw the clue, I started singing the piece.  I LOVE it. 

Were my eyes playing tricks with me?  I could swear the FJ clue contained "The Sea and

Sin[d]bad's Ship" reference with Sinbad misspelled.  Anyone else see this?

Apparently spelling doesn't count in clues, just responses.  I just checked my album (yes, I still have a 33 RPM vinyl album & turntable) and it doesn't have the first D, only the one at the *end* of Sinbad.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 6

I was pleased that being a horse-crazy kid (and adult) made me shout "Buttermilk!" at that clue. I'm also pleased so many of you here were doing the same. Well done, fellow posters!

But in the Little Pony category, where the heck did they get "Barnacle" for a pony name? In my entire life full of horses and horse shows, I've never EVER heard of one pony (or horse) named Barnacle. I even did a search of My Little Pony names and nicknames and STILL cannot find Barnacle. Help me with that, anyone?

Then there was the color category. "Brownie points" is not a color. "Brown nose" fits the category. "Foxy Brown" the movie character fits the category. I suppose technically "Brownie points" fits, but I don't blame any of the contestants for it being a low-value TS. Maybe if the category were "Colorful Imps" I'd feel better about it.

And YES to the FJ karma thing. BYU indeed. 

• Love 3