Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 31 (2014-2015)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Well goody, goody. Fox is showing the MLB All Star game. At least they're showing Jeopardy! at 10:30 pm. Hopefully, in a couple of weeks there will be a World Ping Pong Championship, so there will be *another* excuse to pre-empt J. Grrrrr!

I used some Deadwood-like language when I discovered that our Fox affiliate fucked Jeopardy viewers over again.  Unfortunately for me, our station doesn't rerun Jeopardy at a later time.  Noooooo, that would interfere with the time slot for Rules of Engagement.

• Love 3

I used some Deadwood-like language when I discovered that our Fox affiliate fucked Jeopardy viewers over again.  Unfortunately for me, our station doesn't rerun Jeopardy at a later time.  Noooooo, that would interfere with the time slot for Rules of Engagement.

I think ours got a lot of complaints after the golf tournament fiasco. I know I sent a pretty strongly worded email - it was hard not using profanity. I got a canned response thanking me for my suggestion to show it later, but ever since then, they *have* showed them later.

• Love 1

Another new champ!  Has anybody been keeping track of how many one-day champions we've had in a row?

I got FJ but it was strictly a guess.

• Love 2
Another new champ!  Has anybody been keeping track of how many one-day champions we've had in a row?

Per J-Archive, that would be 10 new champs in a row.  The last multiple champ was Brandon Powell and he was a 2-day champ.

• Love 3

I saw very little of tonight’s game, in bits and pieces, so based on that …

David Allan Coe’s song specifies the quoted lyrics (among others) render it the perfect “country and western” song, so I might have required a “be more specific” prompt for “country.”  Probably not, as the clue sought the genre in general rather than the lyric itself, but I crack the hell up at that song so it stood out to me.

Tina Brown surprised me as a TS in a category that spotted contestants her last name.  Forehead was a bit surprising as a TS, but maybe they were thinking of the body part with which a baleen whale would slap its forehead (and thus wondering how that could be missing), rather than the forehead itself.

Opie being the kid’s name as a DJ clue?

• Love 4
(edited)

I missed the show (condo board meeting) but to be completely accurate, the song was written by Steve Goodman (RIP) and John Prine.  Coe is riding their coattails.

The clue quoted lyrics from the final verse, but in asking for what genre it was the perfect song, it was pointing to the "A friend of mine named Steve Goodman wrote that song ... he said it was the perfect country and western song ... I told him it was not [because it was missing x, y, and z] ... he wrote another verse ... [now it is perfect]" interlude of the song.  Since the clue was somewhat specifically dealing with Coe's version, I attributed it that way.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4
(edited)

The clue quoted lyrics from the final verse, but in asking for what genre it was the perfect song, it referenced the "A friend of mine named Steve Goodman wrote that song ... he said it was the perfect country and western song ... I told him it was not [because it was missing x, y, and z] ... he wrote another verse ... [now it is perfect]" interlude of the song.  Since the clue was somewhat specifically dealing with Coe's version, I attributed it that way.

Ah, you beat me to it!

Country & Western! Not just "Country."

It's X, Y & Z are:  Mama, Trains, Trucks, Prison, & Gettin' Drunk!

So the verse that makes it the perfect Country & Western song goes like this here:

I was drunk, the day my Mom got out of prison,

And I went to pick her up in the rain,

But before I could get to the station in the pickup

Truck......

She got runned over by a damned ol' train!

Edited by The Wild Sow
  • Love 2

I'm reminded of one of my favorite parts of Romancing the Stone when Joan is doing the voice over for her latest romance novel: "Grogan. The man who killed my father, raped and murdered my sister, burned my ranch, shot my dog, and stole my Bible."

• Love 3

Hopefully, in a couple of weeks there will be a World Ping Pong Championship,

Yes, but will they be using PADDLES or RACKETS?

The cleaning clue ... I went through Bon Ami, no, Ajax, no, Comet, no ... BRILLO! Yes! Oh yeah, so I USED to clean a lot.

The animal body parts category: I answered HANDS when the whale couldn't "have a V-8." They said answer was "forehead." Well, technically, a whale (depending on species) does have a forehead, a rise between the eyes, or above the eyes, but not a single one has HANDS to do the V-8 thing. It was a TS so it doesn't matter. To anyone but me.

• Love 3

Hamstring and Devon(shire) were really surprising TS to me! Also FJ was instaget for me.

Alyson irritated me - for some reason her tone/expression when giving her responses really grated on me. I'm well aware that I'm being very picky, but still.

I'm glad we finally have someone who has won more than just one game!

• Love 3

Yay! A two game winner at last.  He seems to have what it takes to stick around even longer.  Whether he does or not remains to be seen. If he hadn't got that last clue it wouldn't have been a runaway.  I suppose the wagering in FJ would have been a whole lot different.

I felt sorry for the guy in the middle who didn't pick up on the clue to be careful of the capital of Kentucky - but he fell into the trap anyway, giving the city name, not the settler.  But he slumped all through the game so I didn't feel too sorry for him.

Devon was a surprising TS but I missed hamstring too so I can see how easily it can happen:)

Instaget FJ for me too - what else would look so wonderful in the setting sun? finished in 1937?

• Love 1

A two day champ! Woohoo! He's growing on me.

At first I was impressed with John because he was actually wearing a suit. Then he slouched and smirked his way through the game. No, just no. Alyson irritated me, too, for some reason.

Devon and hamstring were TSs I got easily. There were too many clues left in DJ.

I lustily screamed out "Mount Rushmore!" for FJ. Ooops!

• Love 3

I missed today's show. What was FJ?

Landmarks

On the completion of this in 1937, its chief engineer wrote, "At last the mighty task is done; resplendent in the Western sun".

• Love 2

I didn't like the playwright's slumping or the woman's responses either. The SAHD is growing on me. But I couldn't believe he agreed with Alex when he said he must have lots of time to read and catch up on current events with three kids! I can't remember the last book I've read and I only have two kids and work outside the home! Stay-at-home parenting is a 24/7 job - man or woman. 

• Love 4
(edited)
But I couldn't believe he agreed with Alex when he said he must have lots of time to read and catch up on current events with three kids!

I thought I detected a very subtle note of sarcasm in the SAHD's statement.  

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Love 1

My Fox affiliate didn't run Tuesday's Jeopardy so I didn't see it, but after checking J Archive, I can determine that I would've done well during the rounds only to flame out on the FJ.  I know of Daniel Webster (The Devil and Daniel Webster was one of my dad's favorite stories) but would not have gotten him from that clue.

• Love 1

He has lots of time on his hands because it's not like he has a real job. Sigh. Alex, Alex, Alex.

I didn't like the playwright's slumping or the woman's responses either. The SAHD is growing on me. But I couldn't believe he agreed with Alex when he said he must have lots of time to read and catch up on current events with three kids! I can't remember the last book I've read and I only have two kids and work outside the home! Stay-at-home parenting is a 24/7 job - man or woman. 

Yeah, I wanted to set the TV on fire when Alex said he must have plenty of time to read. With three kids! Unless they are all teenagers, I don't think so!

• Love 2

To stay at home mothers, he expresses surprise they're smart enough to make it on the show and answer clues correctly.

Even though they've been introduced as a "retired lawyer" or something else impressive and are obviously well educated.

• Love 1
(edited)
She made me very uncomfortable. I don't know that I'll be able to watch as long as she's on, but Alex sure loved her.

Is she there for Kids' Week?  Seriously?  Between the dancing and allover mugging for the camera, I prayed Jennifer would lose.  Maybe she'll lose her "lucky" drumsticks and we won't be subjected to her antics for too long!

Edited by pandora spocks
  • Love 9
Between the dancing and allover mugging for the camera, I prayed Jennifer would lose.  Maybe she'll lose her "lucky" drumsticks and we won't be subjected to her antics for too long!

I didn't mind Jennifer's antics.   Energetic, fast on the buzzer, equally fast with the answer, shortening the category names, didn't category hop much.  And she really does seem to be a hardcore Rush fan.

I'm curious why Alex said she came dressed for 'Dancing with the Stars'.

• Love 2

Between the mugging for the camera and the starting in the middle of the category and the being all fake-cutesy, Jennifer drove me nuts.  I really hope she's a one-and-done, but with my luck, she'll have a long run.  Boo, hiss.

• Love 12

OMG! I didn't know it was Show Off Kid's Week. What did we do to deserve this extroverted, narcissistic, St. Vitus Dance victim champ? Blech! Her antics and Alex's orgasmic comments on them resulted in way too many clues left on the board. She can't get off my screen fast enough. *shudders*

That lavender DJ DD with the picture was ridiculous.

How do you prounounce Dreyfus' name? I always thought it was Dry-fus. Alex pronounced it two ways - Drif-fus and Dref-fus.

I'm curious why Alex said she came dressed for 'Dancing with the Stars'.

Because she was dancing like an idiot during her introduction.

• Love 11

OMG! I didn't know it was Show Off Kid's Week. What did we do to deserve this extroverted, narcissistic, St. Vitus Dance victim champ? Blech! Her antics and Alex's orgasmic comments on them resulted in way too many clues left on the board. She can't get off my screen fast enough. *shudders*

That lavender DJ DD with the picture was ridiculous.

How do you prounounce Dreyfus' name? I always thought it was Dry-fus. Alex pronounced it two ways - Drif-fus and Dref-fus.

Because she was dancing like an idiot during her introduction.

OMG is right.   Great descriptions for her, CarpeDiem.

I could not believe that clue with the picture of the lavender.  It would have been ridiculously easy for a regular clue, but a DD?  And of course, dancing queen had to get it.

• Love 5
(edited)

This is a widespread misnomer, but the clue describing skinny as a synonym for slim pissed me off.  Skinny has a specific meaning that is well beyond that of slim, thin and such.  (And I thus find it rather repugnant to see skinny spoken of as a good thing.) My thesaurus lists as the synonyms for slim things such as svelte and lithe.  Those for skinny reflect its definition – emaciated, skeletal, etc.

(And, yeah, of course designers would call men’s jeans slim fit and women’s jeans skinny.)

It was odd to title the category “She Married a Veep” and then have the clues require contestants to name the VP, not his wife.  (The clues themselves were fine, I just think the category title should have been different.)

I loved Jennifer’s “Do you want me to?” when Alex mentioned she didn’t have any theatrics for her final answer of the first round.  I don’t listen to the interviews, so I don’t know what the drumsticks were about.  Her apparent personality isn't really my bag, but she didn't bother me -- she seemed comfortable with herself rather than obnoxious (when someone else - perhaps almost anyone else - doing the same things could have easily come across as the latter to me).

The Navajo clue was overvalued in DJ.  As was the Titanic clue.  And the lavender DD.  And the Galileo clue.  And the Papua New Guinea clue, given it showed it on the map and gave the initials.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 5

She drove me nuts right from the get-go. I was hoping she'd get FJ wrong, but no such luck.

After all of my complaining that I just want a winning streak, and I don't much care who the actual person is, it would be kind of funny if the one person who drives me absolutely crazy ends up lasting a while.

Lavender was absolutely ridiculous.

I had absolutely no clue for FJ and I'd never heard of the author, so I had no chance at getting it. My guess was "the guy who wrote Les Miserables" - I had a very long day and was totally blanking on his name :P

• Love 6

I'm glad I'm not alone in finding Jennifer excruciatingly annoying. Jeopardy contestants need to avoid theatrics and focus on playing the game. The defending champ was not amused with her distracting mugging, dancing, and the little dip she was doing with the buzzer. My brother called me after the show to ask "Who let that pest on Jeopardy?" Good question. Hope she tones it down, or I'm out until she's gone.

• Love 5
(edited)

Is God punishing me for liking poker-playing Alex? Because this flailing, pretentious, drumstick-holstering bitch put me over the edge. Made me super nostalgic for yesterday's Mad Men-esque sloucher/smirker. Or any one of a hundred other irritating past contestants.

Edited by lmiller42
  • Love 8

We usually root for the local contestants, but I just can't get behind <jazz hands> Jennifer! She works in my industry too, so I pray our paths never cross. She is the spitting image - in looks and personality - of an out-of-control 10-year-old I recently had to corral at my daughter's birthday party. I'd been noticing the clues were getting tougher lately, but lavender - spotting you the v and showing you a picture??

• Love 2