Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 31 (2014-2015)

Athena
  • Start Topic

My guess for FJ was "the lady who had the nasty obituary written about her".  I was closer than the contestants but I don't think the show would have given me credit for it. 

• Love 2

I remember The Thorn Birds miniseries and knew it was based on the book but I couldn't tell you the author's name to save my life.

Be more specific on Marley from A Christmas Carol?  Like it could've been Bob Marley?

LOL! And not unlikely from the guy who thought Canada gained independence in 1981. Boy is he getting ripped on Twitter for that.

• Love 4
(edited)

Is it wrong that I wanted the woman in the middle to win with just $14?

And FJ today was an insta-get for me.  I love both the book and the mini-series of The Thorn Birds (mmmm, Richard Chamberlain...).

I always think it's smartest for the third-place person to bet nothing on FJ since they are in third place anyway. In this case, the woman would have come out the big winner.

I am surprised the woman did not know The Thorn Birds, not so surprised the men did not. I watched that mini series as many times as it was on, then bought the book and read/reread it until it about fell apart. And yes, "mmmmm" to Richard Chamberlain. 

When I was ready to start reading "grownup books," my mom suggested the Thorn Birds since it was her favorite book.  I might have been 10 at the time.  (My dad suggested Lonesome Dove.  We're an odd family.)  Thank you Mom, for helping me get a FJ TS!

Not an odd family at all Pallida, a family with great taste in books. McMurtry is one of my favorite authors, I've read everything of his. I've already mentioned how I feel about The Thorn Birds.

To make public my lack of intellect, I learned on yesterday's show that ratify is spelled with a T and not a D: radify. I couldn't figure how a "rad" was any sort of animal ... DUH.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4

LOL! And not unlikely from the guy who thought Canada gained independence in 1981. Boy is he getting ripped on Twitter for that.

I really laughed at that!

• Love 2

I guess you have to be of a certain age to remember the sensation that was Thorn Birds, both book and miniseries. The casting made very little sense if you had read the books, and of course Richard Chamberlain wasn't "out", and yet...

I remember loving the miniseries, and rewatching it about a year ago wondering why it was so much more amateurish than I remembered :)

Also profoundly sad about the Strangelove clue being a TS. 

• Love 1

"That ketchup-and-mustard rose was gorgeous."

A friend was telling me yesterday about ketchup-and-mustard roses. Thanks, Jeopardy for providing me a picture of this beauty! A Bob Marley version of A Christmas Carol would have been interesting for no other reason than to see old Ebenezer rocking dreadlocks.

• Love 4

I often like others posts on here and smile and/or giggle but "No, Timmy, no cry" made me laugh. Quite hard. I'm still smirking at it.

I could not believe the Canadian Independence of 1981 answer. Must be England was so busy planning Charles and Diana's wedding that they forgot to keep an eye on what Canada was doing.

• Love 9

It just occurred to me that yesterday's second- and third-place winners went home with $2,000 and $1,000 respectively, while the new champ banked a cool $200. There's just something so wrong with that.

• Love 11

The Wheel minimum of $2K is only if there are couples (friends, spouses) on, otherwise it is $1K.

And you get to see Ms Vanna in her prom gowns, so that is an added advantage as well.......(walks away after her catty remark...)

• Love 4

Especially when I had just seen in the Wheel of Fortune show prior that they have a $2K minimum per puzzle.

I'm fairly certain it's per episode and not per puzzle.  If a contestant stands there and hits bankrupt and lose a turn and doesn't win a penny, Pat will give the poor sap (me, if I ever get on) a $1000 consolation prize  Hey! it beats Rice-A-Roni!

• Love 3

If you solve the puzzle with less than the minimum, you get one (or two) grand because I think last night one of the solvers couples had like 1550 or something and Pat bumped it to two grand.

• Love 1

Be more specific on Marley from A Christmas Carol?  Like it could've been Bob Marley?  (To be completely honest, I blew that one because I misread the clue and thought it was asking for the title of the book, but still.)

In the Muppet Christmas Carol, there actually were two Marleys! Jacob and Robert, played, of course, by Statler and Waldorf! Somehow, I don't think that is what Alex had in mind...

What was going through my mind for the rest of the episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsiKOJOXMJU

• Love 2

I often like others posts on here and smile and/or giggle but "No, Timmy, no cry" made me laugh. Quite hard. I'm still smirking at it.

Sure, laugh at a poor little crippled kid.

OK, I'm glad I made you laugh.  It was the first thing that popped into my head, Bob comforting Tiny Tim with a song.  We're both obviously warped.

• Love 3

Was I the only one shouting, "Calaveras! Calaveras!"? 

But amazingly, Alex was right -- I know very little about Major League Baseball, and I managed to get to Arizona from the colors and took a stab at the team name, and somehow got it right.

• Love 1

At least Colby got 10x more money for a 2nd place showing today than he did yesterday.  For a two-day average of $1100.

FJ was easy, but what was with Alex's little speech before the clue was revealed ? 

He said something along the line of "If you don't know anything about baseball, there are hints in the clue". But if you know so little about baseball that you don't even know that there is a team based in Arizona let alone what the team name is, you were kind of screwed.  I wonder why he said that ?

• Love 3
(edited)

Alex might as well have just told them the FJ question. It really did not need that long-winded lead-up.

Exactly.  Every FJ clue contains important information.

I did not get FJ.  MLB is not one of my wheelhouses. I've never heard of the Arizona Diamondbacks.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 2
(edited)

I was shouting along with you.

WTF was up with the dubbing of Alex's voice? Some of the clues he was croaking like a frog. From Calaveras County.

And why was there not a BMS for Dan Rowen's partner? Not only was there a Dick Martin but a Dean Martin. Probably a Carson Martin, too.

I answered Bloomberg before they showed his picture. The clue should have been enough.

And yes, as predicted, Alex had to make snide remarks about Colby's $200 win yesterday.

FJ was easy. I do pay some attention to MLB but I'm no expert.

Edited by CarpeDiem54
  • Love 8

It just occurred to me that yesterday's second- and third-place winners went home with $2,000 and $1,000 respectively, while the new champ banked a cool $200. There's just something so wrong with that.

Oh the irony.  He should just be glad he won.  Yesterday was a classic example of lousy FJ betting.  The first place player wins if he just bets enough to top the player in second and answers correctly.  So around $12K, and since he got it wrong he finishes with $6K.  Why bet all of it I have no idea.  The third place woman actually should have won it with all of them getting FJ wrong.  Since she knew that the first place player had to bet at least $12K, all she needed to do was bet anything between $0 and around $4K to finish first if the first place player got it wrong, assuming the second place player also got it wrong.  But she also bet almost everything.

And yes, as predicted, Alex had to make snide remarks about Colby's $200 win yesterday.

I didn't think he was snide at all.  I thought his remarks were pretty funny and on point, and Colby certainly was not offended.  I realize there is a lot of Alex hate here, some of which is well-deserved, but I like him and make allowances (perhaps more than others) for the fact that he is a pretty old guy who has been doing this for a long time.  I'm an old person, myself, and I sure hope people make allowances for me.

I very much liked the guy who won (sorry, can't remember his name), although both of the others also were fine.  I thought it was a pretty good game, with interesting categories and no excessive board jumping or contestant quirks.

• Love 3
I wonder if someone answered Arizona only if they would have been ruled correct.

Probably not. At first I thought the names sounded Californian, but since California had turned up earlier in the game, I figured it probably wasn't a California team. Then I thought of the desert, but just couldn't come up with "Diamondbacks." I don't know why Alex made that little speech before reading the clue.

And why was there not a BMS for Dan Rowen's partner? Not only was there a Dick Martin but a Dean Martin. Probably a Carson Martin, too.

I guess because the show title was Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In, without first names. Still, it does seem inconsistent with the insistence on "Jacob Marley" yesterday. I had never heard of some of the other comedic pairs.

• Love 1

I missed chunks of clues here and there, but this was the first episode I’ve been able to catch at all in several, so I’ll take it.

There were several TS tonight that I can’t decide whether or not to label surprising.  They were instagets for me, and thus I was initially surprised none of the contestants got them, but on further reflection I realized I have specific knowledge of them and thus maybe they’re not so widely known at least one in three J! contestants should be expected to know them.  Plumb bob – I do my own home improvement projects.  Phrenology – I learned about this during a hilarious exchange in a stupidly funny movie long ago (Men at Work, with Charlie Sheen and Emilio Estevez) and have remembered it ever since.  Shasta – I live in California, so put “Mount” in the clue and I know that’s the county.

FJ was also an instaget for me.  I don’t pay enough attention to the Diamondbacks to know their colors, but as soon as I saw Sedona it was a gimme.

• Love 3

But amazingly, Alex was right -- I know very little about Major League Baseball, and I managed to get to Arizona from the colors and took a stab at the team name, and somehow got it right.

I know absolutely nothing about Major League Baseball, and even knowing the answer I have no idea how one could have got that from the clue.

• Love 2

I don't understand why he had to make that little speech for FJ.  Very strange.  I do know a little about baseball and I got it right away, but I think that was because of his hints.  I thought he basically handed them the answer.  And all three of them got it, didn't they? 

• Love 1

I know absolutely nothing about Major League Baseball, and even knowing the answer I have no idea how one could have got that from the clue.

Well, for one thing, Sedona is not far from Phoenix. But if you didn't know that, it wouldn't help you.

• Love 3

I got as far as thinking "Is there a baseball team in Arizona?"

I didn't even hear the Laugh-In clue, and it's not the first time I've seen clues referenced here that I didn't hear...there. Weird.

• Love 1

The clue listed the colors as Sedona something and Sonoran something else (red and brown?  No idea).  Sedona = Arizona, Sonoran Desert = Arizona, and then I thought about what might live in Arizona.  From that, I got to snakes and then rattlesnakes, but I didn't think I'd heard of a team called the Rattlesnakes, so I got to Diamondbacks, a subset of rattlesnake.  Remarkably, I did that in my head in under 30 seconds, but likely never would have been able to do that on the show, and certainly wouldn't have had time to write it out.  Probably would have gotten "diamondba" and been ruled incorrect.

• Love 4

There were several TS tonight that I can’t decide whether or not to label surprising.  They were instagets for me, and thus I was initially surprised none of the contestants got them, but on further reflection I realized I have specific knowledge of them and thus maybe they’re not so widely known at least one in three J! contestants should be expected to know them.  Plumb bob – I do my own home improvement projects.  Phrenology – I learned about this during a hilarious exchange in a stupidly funny movie long ago (Men at Work, with Charlie Sheen and Emilio Estevez) and have remembered it ever since.  Shasta – I live in California, so put “Mount” in the clue and I know that’s the county.

I got plumb bob too, though I don't really do much in the way of DIY projects. Another TS in that category that I got was black molly.

Unfortunately I said 'phreneology' which wouldn't have been accepted with the extra syllable.

I said 'Calabasas.' I missed the part of the clue about frogs.

• Love 2

I got pretty far from the clue, but still would have guessed Arizona Cardinals. Which turns out to be the football team. But there is a baseball cardinals!

• Love 1
(edited)

It's surprising that an urbane character such as Alex Trebek had a cow-milking story, even if he did it just once. When he told about rubbing something on the udders, I had to giggle. Later I thought about him cooing to the cow in exaggerated French, "Me donner beaucoup de lait!, " in case it was a French-Canadian cow.

All the hints that Alex dropped in FJ wouldn't have helped me at all, even if he'd said that the team lived in a state bordering NM and had a snake logo. That's how ignorant I'm about sports.

Edited by pandora spocks
  • Love 4

I got pretty far from the clue, but still would have guessed Arizona Cardinals. Which turns out to be the football team. But there is a baseball cardinals!

Here's some useless knowledge for you:

The football Cardinals used to be the St. Louis Cardinals but they moved to Arizona. There is now a team in the NFL called the St. Louis Rams, who used to be the LA Rams, not to be confused with the LA Raiders, who are now the Oakland Raiders. Also, the Tennessee Titans used to be the Houston Oilers which doesn't have anything to do with the current Houston Texans. And, the Indianapolis Colts used to be the Baltimore Colts but the current Baltimore Ravens used to be the Cleveland Browns which has nothing to do with the current Cleveland Browns.

So if any of that comes up whenever any of us gets on the show, we'll be all set.

• Love 4

Here's some useless knowledge for you:

The football Cardinals used to be the St. Louis Cardinals but they moved to Arizona. There is now a team in the NFL called the St. Louis Rams, who used to be the LA Rams, not to be confused with the LA Raiders, who are now the Oakland Raiders. Also, the Tennessee Titans used to be the Houston Oilers which doesn't have anything to do with the current Houston Texans. And, the Indianapolis Colts used to be the Baltimore Colts but the current Baltimore Ravens used to be the Cleveland Browns which has nothing to do with the current Cleveland Browns.

So if any of that comes up whenever any of us gets on the show, we'll be all set.

The LA Raiders were originally the Oakland Raiders, and now they're the Oakland Raiders again.
  • Love 2
(edited)

But there is a baseball cardinals!

Our ChicagoCubs poster here will be able to tell you that the St. Louis Cardinals is the nemesis of the Chicago Cubs baseball team. Games are sold out when those two play, and fans travel from each city to support "their" team, with no love lost for the opposition.

I missed yesterday's show but follow baseball enough to know the Diamondbacks. It's a long name to get onto that electronic-pencil board for FJ though, so it's Diamondbax for me!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2
(edited)

"Jeopardy just tweeted that they are reshowing the Tournament of Champions starting Monday."

Goodbye, Kids' Tournament and Celebrity Jeopardy! Hello, reruns of Big Bang Theory!

Edited by pandora spocks
  • Love 3

I kind of feel we should all start signing each other's yearbooks.  "you are so sweet, have a good summer - see you in the fall!"

Hehe. The threads will still be here for your rerun pleasure, but we could create a Tournament of Champions one. It'll only be able six or so weeks until season 32 starts up. Much shorter hiatus than other shows. :)

• Love 1

I pulled the state from the clue and felt pretty confident with Phoenix Suns.  Wrong sport, I guess.

• Love 3

I quit watching once the season ends. Would much prefer they show reruns of ancient seasons than the one we've just seen. I'd actually watch those! Would even get a kick out of seeing Ken once again.

• Love 6