Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 31 (2014-2015)

Athena
  • Start Topic

though I agree it looks a lot like Matthew Morrison - but he speaks very differently now!

Yes, he drastically over pronunciates all foreign words now. 

I could not believe that they not only showed a photo of a cairn, but then showed a second photo, of a cairn terrier, this when anyone should have been able to get the answer "cairn" from just the word clue alone. WTH, show?

• Love 1

..and then Alex pronounces it Care-In.  huh?  I always heard it as one syllable.

Yeah, what was up with that?  It seemed very odd to me when he said that.  I guess he had it misspelled in his head and thought he was showing everyone how it is properly pronounced.

• Love 3

As a show-dog person who has handled many cairn terriers, "cairn" is indeed pronounced as one syllable. Trebek likes to add drawn-out syllables to all words though, like "genre." Could he make that word any longer? It's turned into a joke for me, and i notice it comes up in clues often so he can drag it out of his mouth, through all that oatmeal in there, once again.

• Love 3

Bastet, that Huff Post video is the best. My favorite part is the close up of the young boy who looks like a deer in headlights as Trebek rattles on. And is that Arthur Chu Trebek argues pronunciation with? I need to watch the other Trebek videos on that page, I'm guessing they are just as fun. Thanks for linking!

• Love 1
(edited)

Maybe it's an English-major thing, but I thought FJ was really easy, especially considering that they spotted us half the poem's title in the translated word "waste" and specified "American-born" rather than just "American," which is a clue that whoever wrote it probably didn't stay American throughout his life.  So to me Whitman wasn't a good guess--especially for an editorial assistant.

And also:  Yay.

I went with Ezra Pound, a well known American ex-pat, but I knew the poem was The Wasteland. I'm a lit major who hated poetry (well, the poetry professor, to be more precise), and for some reason though some poems stick with me, the poets rarely do. For Eliot, I always think of The Love Song of J Alfred Prufrock, which for some reason was covered in three different classes I took in college.

And also: count me as a Yay.

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 2

I'm days late but I want to come and bitch at the judging on a Monday question in the Dodo category.  From J! Archive

The dodo disappeared in the late 1600s but did find its way into this 1865 novel alongside a hare & a hatter

Scott gave (and J!Archive gives) the answer "Alice in Wonderland", which was mistakenly accepted.  There is no 1865 novel called "Alice in Wonderland".  "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" was published that year.

• Love 6
(edited)

I was surprised that Scott's FJ answer of "BYU" was accepted because the judges are such sticklers <insert ironic nod> for accuracy.  But then the judges' rulings are fickle at best and sketchy for accuracy such as in the diabetes/autism connection that still has me shaking my head.

Edited by pandora spocks
  • Love 6
(edited)

I thought that I remembered the inventor saying it was pronounced with a soft g, and that's what the Internet says:

Steve Wilhite created the Graphics Interchange Format, or GIF, while working for Compuserve in 1987. On Tuesday, he received a Webby Award for it and delivered his five-word acceptance speech (that's all the Webbys allow) by flashing a GIF on the big screens at the Cipriani Wall Street in New York.

And, in a flash, it all became clear:

"It's pronounced JIF, not GIF."

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/22/tech/web/pronounce-gif/

As I heard it, the creator picked GIF-pronounced-JIF BECAUSE it sounds like the peanut butter--because "Choosy moms choose Jiff."

Edited by rereader2
I was surprised that Scott's FJ answer of "BYU" was accepted because the judges are such sticklers <insert ironic nod> for accuracy.  But then the judges' rulings are fickle at best and sketchy for accuracy such as in the diabetes/autism connection that still has me shaking my head.

If they are going to ding the middle person (can't recall her name) for spelling, Scott should have been ruled incorrect for just writing down 'BYU' -- I would imagine if the middle person knew that acronyms were acceptable, she would have gone with that (not that it would have mattered).

• Love 5

Scott certainly has a way with the buzzer. I feel indifferent to him even though he does know his stuff. I'm surprised by the BYU answer was accepted, but even if it wasn't, he would have still won.

Hungary isn't a low country.

• Love 5

I'm glad they picked up on his mispronunciation of Sharapova.    I am not sure they should have accepted BYU but maybe it is better known by that than I thought.  I'll bet the woman in the middle wishes she had gone with BYU too:)

I figured the university would be in Utah but it took me a bit to come up with Brigham Young.

Cats Rule, Dogs Drool!  I love dogs too but I adore cats.

• Love 3

I love tennis and was so frustrated with how that category went. Horrible wagers by the woman in the middle. Ugh!

No one recognized Martina Hingis. Boo hiss.

Two Wimbledon trophies this year! I really enjoy watching her play.

• Love 1

I wondered whether the misspelling of Brigham Young wasn't a subconscious zing at the Mormons. Accepting BYU seems to set an unfortunate precedent, though. Might make for a faster game. For some reason Alsace-Lorraine has stuck with me since Junior High, though I couldn't tell you what it's actual significance was. I may have just liked the name. Finally, it paid off tonight!

• Love 3

I watch Jeopardy on occasion but made sure to watch tonight: the "Cats Rule!" lady is my dogs' vet!  Really happy she was on, the tweets about her are hilarious and she is a lovely woman. My dogs are going to disown her though. 

• Love 11

I did love that there was a medical terms category for the DVM and the pharmacist.

When I heard the one woman was from Quebec, I knew Trebek would be all over-pronunciating French words at her. He held off a while, but then there it was. I knew he wouldn't be able to resist showing off. I mean, making her feel welcome.

Although does being from Quebec automatically mean you are a native French speaker? Especially if your name is Anne-Marie?

I wish your vet had done better, Mtlchick.

I really noticed the answer "Ford" for the answer to the actor who was injured by the Millennium Falcon. Sure, we all KNOW it's Harrison, but what about Glenn Ford? Why no BMS?

I thought Brigham Young was a no-brainer, but I yelled "NO!" out loud when the woman got docked for putting an "N" in her answer while the champ just used initials.  

• Love 5

And it's a good thing no one is on his right -- he'd knock them out, the way he flails his arm with the buzzer. 

That got to really bugging me after a while.  I'd take dancing Jennifer over this any day.

Although does being from Quebec automatically mean you are a native French speaker? Especially if your name is Anne-Marie?

The animal hospital is located in the West Island part of the island of Montreal (we're about 30 minutes from the downtown core.)  It's mostly English (I was born and raised here, and English is my mother tongue though I did go to French immersion schools) but a lot of francophones live here too.  I figured she would get a tough time considering Woodrow Wilson was a full category but hell she was living of my dreams so I'm happy for her anyway! 

• Love 4

I did love that there was a medical terms category for the DVM and the pharmacist.

When I heard the one woman was from Quebec, I knew Trebek would be all over-pronunciating French words at her. He held off a while, but then there it was. I knew he wouldn't be able to resist showing off. I mean, making her feel welcome.

It doesn't mean you're a native French speaker, although Anne-Marie could easily be a French name. French is the official language of Quebec though - it is not a bilingual province. Quebecois people speaking French is also a perfectly good stereotype for Alex to pick on, and one would think that the politicians behind their language laws would be grateful for it :P

• Love 4
(edited)

"I love the way he says genre; in that montage of

Alex pronouncing foreign words,genre is my favorite."

After watching this hilarious video, I have two questions:

Does Alex do this to correct the contestants

or to accommodate illiterate, French-speaking Jeopardy viewers?

Edited by pandora spocks
  • Love 1

Anne-Marie was great! I wish she had done better.

And I REALLY wish the woman in the middle had won, as I am growing to really hate Scott, as all of his stories are about being rich. I was already getting there when his 50th birthday celebration cost more than the $55K he has won to that point, and then the thing about his house being previously owned by Hollywood stars? Ugh. I know it's not a need-based game, but it just makes me want him to get out of there and let a nice editorial assistant get some of that J! money!

• Love 8

He pronounced it "Shar-pov-a".

I wonder how she pronounces her own name. "Shar-pov-a" might be correct. For instance, I watch a Viet Namese cooking show, and, while we say "VEE-ETTE-NAHM," the chef pronounces the country "Vehnm." Sort of like one syllable, all run together. It's very interesting to hear the native pronunciation.

I wonder how she pronounces her own name. "Shar-pov-a" might be correct. For instance, I watch a Viet Namese cooking show, and, while we say "VEE-ETTE-NAHM," the chef pronounces the country "Vehnm." Sort of like one syllable, all run together. It's very interesting to hear the native pronunciation.

A young Sharapova says it here (with that second "a" pronounced).

• Love 2

I rewound to listen to his "Shar-pova" a couple times, because I was having trouble telling if he was just slurring past the syllable or leaving it out entirely.  I'm glad it didn't matter in the end.  (Speaking of which, I would never even have considered writing out "Brigham Young University"--not out of fear that I might have spelled it wrong or anything, just because I almost always hear it referred to just as BYU.)

The night before, I would have sworn the contestant said "loco-vore" instead of locavore.  

Well, at least they dinged Scott for mispronouncing Sharapova.  And it's a good thing no one is on his right -- he'd knock them out, the way he flails his arm with the buzzer.

Funny stuff! I've been on and off in catching the show so this was my first time seeing him. I thought it was very annoying. And it seemed to me the lady next to him was being a bit "flamboyant" with her buzzer too. I'm hoping she was doing it to mock the champ. Does anyone remember what he was doing with the buzzer his first day since he would had someone to his right?
  • Love 1

Anne-Marie was great! I wish she had done better.

And I REALLY wish the woman in the middle had won, as I am growing to really hate Scott, as all of his stories are about being rich. I was already getting there when his 50th birthday celebration cost more than the $55K he has won to that point, and then the thing about his house being previously owned by Hollywood stars? Ugh. I know it's not a need-based game, but it just makes me want him to get out of there and let a nice editorial assistant get some of that J! money!

I had much the same response. (Except maybe for the "hate" part, although I'm keeping that door open.  And also except for the editorial assistant part, assuming you meant Macarena McFoxtrot and not some nice other editorial assistant.)  I'm waiting for him to announce the wonderful charity he's donating his winnings to, and then all my dislike for the brag talking will go away in a flash.  I have my doubts that's likely to happen if it hasn't already, though.

• Love 2

Scott's riches and being a construction attorney makes me cringe as I worked for a small engineering firm during the CA housing boom, and construction lawsuits would name basically any company involved in development, no matter how tangential to the actual problem.  But, I don't know the guy and what he does, so I try not to hold it against him since he seems to know a lot and deserves his wins (rather than being up against weak competition).

I did want to smack Alex for his condescension about Montana and the Northern Lights.  Now I get that they wouldn't see them enough to have it on their state seal, but it's like Alex thinks you have to be circumpolar to see the Northern Lights.

After the ruling on Brigham's spelling, I realized I might have spelled it wrong myself.  I don't like that BYU was accepted though.  Sure, it might be the only BYU, but it amazes me how often people assume everybody is referring to the same university when using initials (e.g. OSU).

• Love 3

I had much the same response. (Except maybe for the "hate" part, although I'm keeping that door open.  And also except for the editorial assistant part, assuming you meant Macarena McFoxtrot and not some nice other editorial assistant.)  I'm waiting for him to announce the wonderful charity he's donating his winnings to, and then all my dislike for the brag talking will go away in a flash.  I have my doubts that's likely to happen if it hasn't already, though.

Oh, I forgot that was her actual job! It was just my stereotype for a low-paid, well-educated person! Heh. 

And of course he is winning fair and square against worthy opponents, and I would hate for Jeopardy to turn into Chopped/Queen for a Day, but still. 

• Love 2

.  Sure, it might be the only BYU, but it amazes me how often people assume everybody is referring to the same university when using initials (e.g. OSU).

I have 2 for that one. Ohio St. and Oregon St.

• Love 2

Oh, I forgot that was her actual job! It was just my stereotype for a low-paid, well-educated person! Heh. 

And of course he is winning fair and square against worthy opponents, and I would hate for Jeopardy to turn into Chopped/Queen for a Day, but still. 

Funny!  I thought for sure that's who you meant.  No question she was smart.

No doubt there've been people with lots of money who've won in the past, maybe even lots more than Scott.  The difference is that we didn't know about it.  Which I think is how it should be, especially if they're throwing $55K birthday parties for themselves.  Just do it and don't tell me about it.  Please.  Because no one with class attaches a price tag to a birthday party and then broadcasts it.

• Love 10

Which I think is how it should be, especially if they're throwing $55K birthday parties for themselves.  Just do it and don't tell me about it.  Please.  Because no one with class attaches a price tag to a birthday party and then broadcasts it.

Once again, I am glad I don't listen to the interviews.  I would have developed a real hate for him if I heard him bragging like that.  It's not so bad hearing about it second-hand:)

Someone upthread mentioned that he looks like Vincent Price.  I think he looks like Eric Roberts who so often plays a sleazy character.

• Love 2

Trebek reminds me of that Simpsons episode where Lisa turns naughty for a while, and says the teachers "wouldn't be so smart without their teacher's edition." Alex wouldn't be so smart without his (Probable) Teleprompter 'O Smugness.

• Love 6

Funny!  I thought for sure that's who you meant.  No question she was smart.

No doubt there've been people with lots of money who've won in the past, maybe even lots more than Scott.  The difference is that we didn't know about it.  Which I think is how it should be, especially if they're throwing $55K birthday parties for themselves.  Just do it and don't tell me about it.  Please.  Because no one with class attaches a price tag to a birthday party and then broadcasts it.

Exactly! 

• Love 3

I am also glad I skip the interviews. Lately I've been DVR'ing the show to watch later just to avoid the ads, but also to skip the chatting. Shut and play, already. Dancing with the Stars is likewise much more enjoyable if you ff through interviews, rehearsal packages, and the judges.

• Love 3

Someone upthread mentioned that he looks like Vincent Price.  I think he looks like Eric Roberts who so often plays a sleazy character.

Thank you, Trey! I knew I'd seen him many times, but couldn't get there.

• Love 2

I have 2 for that one. Ohio St. and Oregon St.

I think of three; those two, and Oklahoma St.  If I was answering any of those universities, I'd write out the name.  But for BYU, I probably wouldn't have thought to write it out. 

• Love 5
(edited)

That was a good game -- not a lot of TS, and everyone was really close together going into FJ.

I'm just surprised 2 out of 3 of them got it wrong.  I guessed Icelandic Airlines right off the bat.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 4

I think of three; those two, and Oklahoma St.  If I was answering any of those universities, I'd write out the name.  But for BYU, I probably wouldn't have thought to write it out. 

And Oregon State and Oklahoma State have the same colors!  

• Love 1

That really was a good game; I liked both of the challengers and would have been happy if either had won the game.

I did not get FJ,   I guessed Malta, thinking it was somewhere between Boston and Brussels. 

When the clue came up about Dennis Rodman starring on Special Ops Force I was surprised they mentioned such an obscure TV show.  DH and I watched it but I always figured we were the only ones who did:)

• Love 1